As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] What We Do in the Shadows (Beyond Light expansion coming Nov. 10!)

GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles PaesanoRegistered User regular
edited September 2020 in Games and Technology
What makes a Guardian… a Guardian? We take our first breath with no memory of who we were before – yet we are inexorably drawn to the Light. We fight, we die… and we live again. We know that we were chosen for a reason by something greater than ourselves. For as deep and wide as humanity’s rivers have run, it has now been reduced to a precious few, needing something to believe in… and a place to call home. This is what we have been called to – the future that we fight for. The future we will protect.

Shaped by the fires of each new battle, we are forged and sharpened into what we must become for the fight ahead.

What we have built is only the beginning – a symbol of what we can achieve, of who we are and our great purpose here. But the day may come when we will be tested. When all we hold dear is threatened. And then, we will see what each of us is truly made of.

vb63c58xrd5a.png

Destiny 2: Penny Arcade G&T Saves the Universe and Everything in It, No, Seriously, I Know It Looks like We’re Losing but Everything Is Under Control, We Promise is an online multiplayer action role-playing sci-fi-fantasy first-person shooter for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC and the second title in Bungie and Activision’s ten-year, zillion-dollar Destiny franchise. It’s MMO-like – think gear collection (and dress-up), skill trees and specs, party play, raiding, and PvP – with rock-solid gunplay and wondrous, gorgeous worlds to explore. Beyond all of that, it’s also home to the best damn community in gaming: Pax Arcadia, our systems-spanning network of clans.

A Little History: Our Story So Far
In Year One of Destiny, the Wise and Noble Guardians of PA traveled through space and time in defense of Human, Awoken, and Exo, rising to meet every challenge and ultimately emerging from a year's worth of adventures bearing the spoils of war and the bounty of exotic weapons, sturdy and stylish armor, fortune, and fame. Through our bravery and dedication, we defended The Tower from all who would see it leveled to the ground. Our legend reached the farthest battlefields of the Crucible. We earned the favor of the Queen and protected her Reef from enemies seeking to tear it apart.

At times, our successes seemed inevitable, almost routine. We traveled backward and forward through time; we crushed our foes underfoot in encounter after encounter; we destroyed the heart of a god - more than once. We plumbed the depths of the Dark Below, face-to-hideous-face with Crota, Hive Prince and Son of Oryx. In time, he fell like the rest. We took his wretched, cursed husk and held it aloft as a trophy.

In Year Two, we braved the Dreadnaught, a terrifying frontier, and we beat back the Taken, a twisted menace. We competed against our fellow Guardians in brutal bloodsport, sharpening ourselves into efficient, highly coordinated soldiers of the Light. We returned to the Prison of Elders and tore through its denizens, leaving our mark on its every arena. We remained relentless, undeterred, in the face of overwhelming odds, and together we struck down Oryx, the Taken King. He refused to tolerate our insolence; we refused to tolerate his existence.

In Year Three, Fallen mutants, scavenging the tombs of the Golden Age, unleashed a plague of unimaginable corruption on our world. Grotesque new foes bore down upon the walls of the Last City, challenging us to adapt or perish. Lord Saladin called us to take up the mantle of the Iron Lords, and we obliged. We honored their legacy by rediscovering their history and celebrating a noble, long-buried tradition.

Now, as we enter a new era, our greatest-ever threat emerges from the Darkness to meet us: Dominus Ghaul, leader of the Cabal’s Red Legion. Ghaul believes that the Traveler erred in bestowing the Light upon us; as we begin our journey in Destiny 2, he and his forces will assail the Tower, corrupt the Traveler, and scatter us to the wilds, beyond the relative safety of our city’s walls. For the first time ever, we will enter a world without Light.

But we will enter it together, Guardians. And it will not be dark for long.

szuuy5gycpri.png

Join the Clan!:
We have three separate clan pages on Bungie.net (complete with general chat wall and LFG channels!) for PlayStation, Xbox and PC Arcadians. To join up on your specific platform, please PM @GMaster7 (PS4), @ObiFett (Xbox) or @shryke (PC) and let us know your PSN/Xbox/Battle.net ID and your Bungie.net ID - and add yourself to the bottom of the Mega-Roster (linked below) for your platform of choice. Then, use the below links to send a join request to your platform's clan on Bungie.net. We're looking for players who will be active in-game and here in the thread, so general policy is to keep an eye on inactivity through this excellent tool developed by our very own @Muffinatron (Holy-Promethium) - and to make room for active players when possible. Because we're at war with Bungie's 100-person cap, membership is restricted to forumers.
Pax Arcadia Mega-Roster Spreadsheet
Pax Arcadia (PS4)
Pax Arcadia Prime (Xbox One)
Pax-Arcadia (PC)

PC Arcadians: We also have a clan channel within the PA Discord server!

Other PA PS4 Clans
Pax Chardcadia (PS4 Overflow)
SE++ Clan

Find teammates with The100.io!
If you're looking for teammates for any activity in D1 or D2, check out PA's console-specific groups on The100.io, right here:
Pax Arcadia - PS4 (Contact @Celian, @Marikir and/or @Dajoran)
Pax Arcadia - Xbox One (Contact @ObiFett, @awsimo and/or @dinoarus)
Pax Arcadia - PC (Contact @3clipse)

Useful Links and Utilities
We will use this space to compile links to miscellaneous sites and tools as we prepare for and dive into the launch of D2. Please feel free to PM or @ me in the thread at any time if you would like to contribute a useful resource or utility to the OP.
Destiny Item Manager: Move items between characters and keep track of your gear and inventory.
DestinyTracker: Track your stats, plus leaderboards, activity listings, and vendors.

mtgw9ynhy72p.jpg

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
GMaster7 on

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I got the Festering Core last night. 3rd person didn't load in immediately, so the second person and I murdered everything until the end.

No mobs spawned in the final boss room and refused to do so, had to abandon it. Enemies spawned in all rooms prior.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I feel the need to update the Vanilla & Forsaken-themed OP and do a little other housekeeping. I'm sure we'll get some more activity with Beyond Light and next-gen consoles both coming this year. Will make time for that soon.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    From what I gather, the game has just continued to fall apart this weekend? Or is it more likely a consequence of whatever largescale networking shenanigans have been causing havoc with cellular providers?

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    metaghost wrote: »
    From what I gather, the game has just continued to fall apart this weekend? Or is it more likely a consequence of whatever largescale networking shenanigans have been causing havoc with cellular providers?

It was kinda bad yesterday. It seems to be a networking problem and I've been wondering if it's the fault of whatever has been making the internet as a whole kinda screwy for a few days now.

shryke on
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I blame it in nerfing the ark farming.

Ever since, problems.

Bring it back, bungie!

GMaster7 wrote: »
    I feel the need to update the Vanilla & Forsaken-themed OP and do a little other housekeeping. I'm sure we'll get some more activity with Beyond Light and next-gen consoles both coming this year. Will make time for that soon.

Have Bungie stated if they have a next gen dev kit to play with ?

I'll settle for a standard install with the loading time speed boost, but I'm interested on if they have plans for an actual upgrade for the next gen consoles.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

I'll settle for a standard install with the loading time speed boost, but I'm interested on if they have plans for an actual upgrade for the next gen consoles.

They have explicitly stated current owners can freely transition their license to the upgrade next-gen iteration, assuming you are maintaining "primary platform" (i.e. One X -> Series X). They have also stated an intent for, at minimum, that next console iteration is 4K/60FPS and "backwards crossplay compatible".

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I've had Festering Core a couple times this week - that's the "new" one in the tangled shore with the Hive Wizard that splits in two? If so, I have seen it fail where she pops up initially and you do some damage and she descends, but the path down didn't open up. That was ages ago, when that strike first showed up on PC. Yesterday was such a disaster after lunch EST - I ran Savathun's 3 times without issue before, but around lunch all sorts of weird shit started to happen like rubberbanding mobs, or I'd blow through their health bar and they'd still be moving and shooting, then they'd die back 20' from where they should have gone down.

It's only been a few seasons, but people in strikes really handle champs like, well, champs now.
    No, the Festering Core is the newer one on Io. I very rarely get it. Probably less than 10 times? The Tangled Shore one is different / has been around longer I believe.

I do agree, though, if a strike bugs out, it's usually the Tangled Shore one with the Brood Queen.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    metaghost wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »

They have explicitly stated current owners can freely transition their license to the upgrade next-gen iteration, assuming you are maintaining "primary platform" (i.e. One X -> Series X). They have also stated an intent for, at minimum, that next console iteration is 4K/60FPS and "backwards crossplay compatible".

Yup, this. I'm very much looking forward to installing D2 on my PS5 to see how it looks and runs. (The answer, of course, is that it will look and run the way it does on PC today. But I don't play on PC, so... I'm still excited.)

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    In addition to enemy wonkiness, I've noticed in some activities your respawn will get "hung" for a few seconds. I was experiencing it in Gambit, where my character would respawn but just float there for a few seconds, frozen.

I ran into that in the tower too but for much longer:
    https://youtu.be/vMBvBH9kuAE

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Oh I like Festering core, I've never had that one bug out that I can recall. I've gotten it just a couple times this week, and hadn't seen it in ages until just recently. I went fairly hard this week, did all three characters quite a bit, 'cept the warlock who got fucked yesterday afternoon with the bad connection stuff. I bailed, played Pathfinder Kingmaker till midnight instead.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Gambit is just fucking broken right now. And I mean in that in both a technical and gameplay sense.

I’m hoping that at least the tech aspect is due to a “pardon our dust, we are working to bring you a better experience” sort of deal, and that the new combined mode will hopefully be better than the current unbalanced mess they have.

Pipedream: If they reduce the whole thing back down to one mode, give us a solo-only queue.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Every time I've seen the no enemy thing happen it's while the game is waiting for everyone to load in, either at the very start of a strike or in the middle when someone joins in progress right before a load point.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I get it a lot being on a good SSD and modern computer - load in first, run to the start of the Arms Dealer strike and wait for stuff to spawn, drop a grenade on 6 cabal that all appear at once in the exact same spot. In the Nokris strike, run to the hive magic wall, see 3 enemies beyond it and wait for the wall to drop.

• The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Just started playing this free-to-play this weekend. Really in love with it and wow, did Anthem copy and paste the gameplay loop...

Anyway, is there a reason Mouse and Keyboard movement is complete garbage? Like, I can't strafe and move forward/back at the same time - like A/D lock out W/S inputs?

Is there some PC trick to this? Gamepad feels great but I can't aim for shit.

• YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    In addition to enemy wonkiness, I've noticed in some activities your respawn will get "hung" for a few seconds. I was experiencing it in Gambit, where my character would respawn but just float there for a few seconds, frozen.

Had that last night running the Ordeal, with some other stuttering and general wonkiness too.

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Just started playing this free-to-play this weekend. Really in love with it and wow, did Anthem copy and paste the gameplay loop...

Anyway, is there a reason Mouse and Keyboard movement is complete garbage? Like, I can't strafe and move forward/back at the same time - like A/D lock out W/S inputs?

That is not my experience with M&K, weird! May be a quirk of your keyboard hardware or input settings?

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you run into that in the standard pointlessly long corridor where it's supposed to seamlessly load the new area but it doesn't happen fast enough. I used to get it every time during one part of Insight Terminus. But the last few days I'm starting to get it a lot of places. And also that same hang-in-the-air-while-respawning thing.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I get it a lot being on a good SSD and modern computer - load in first, run to the start of the Arms Dealer strike and wait for stuff to spawn, drop a grenade on 6 cabal that all appear at once in the exact same spot. In the Nokris strike, run to the hive magic wall, see 3 enemies beyond it and wait for the wall to drop.

The Warden's Lair has me pretty routinely at the door before the train before any enemies load in on PSPro, albeit with an SSD swapped in.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    YerMum wrote: »

That is not my experience with M&K, weird! May be a quirk of your keyboard hardware or input settings?

Ok, thanks - guess I'll play around with drivers / settings a bit unless anyone else has met and defeated this enemy.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    YerMum wrote: »

Ok, thanks - guess I'll play around with drivers / settings a bit unless anyone else has met and defeated this enemy.

Certain keyboards have a limit on how many keys can be pressed at the same time, but this should happen no matter the game if it's your keyboard's fault

Opty on
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you run into that in the standard pointlessly long corridor where it's supposed to seamlessly load the new area but it doesn't happen fast enough. I used to get it every time during one part of Insight Terminus. But the last few days I'm starting to get it a lot of places. And also that same hang-in-the-air-while-respawning thing.

I swear load times for everything have continuously degraded for the past year or so, at least on PS4. I don't know if PC development has made them lazier about optimizations or what but the whole 'freeze to load while running through the tower' and all the other places is just a particularly obvious symptom. It's usually faster at this point for me to grab my phone, unlock it, open Ishtar, and equip a different gun than it is for me to open up the menu and do it in-game because the menu takes so long to load. Getting into the game in the first place is like a 10 minute process of load screens.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    ronzo wrote: »
    Gambit is just fucking broken right now. And I mean in that in both a technical and gameplay sense.

I’m hoping that at least the tech aspect is due to a “pardon our dust, we are working to bring you a better experience” sort of deal, and that the new combined mode will hopefully be better than the current unbalanced mess they have.

Pipedream: If they reduce the whole thing back down to one mode, give us a solo-only queue.

Gambit prime right now is in a place where your team should kill the boss with a x2 stack, at most, or you’re probably losing.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Finally solo flawlessed the Prophecy dungeon. That sweet emblem is mine

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »

Is there a trick to this? Some sort of guide I can follow? I think I can maybe pull this off but I wanna make sure I'm bringing the right loadout and whatnot.

In addition to enemy wonkiness, I've noticed in some activities your respawn will get "hung" for a few seconds.

Fuckin' A, I wish I still needed a thread title. :winky:

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I loaded into the interference mission and got no enemies

seems weird that the game would be falling apart on a release that adds so little content

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    also thread title should be What We Do In The Lake Of Shadows

• VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Is there a trick to this? Some sort of guide I can follow? I think I can maybe pull this off but I wanna make sure I'm bringing the right loadout and whatnot.

the trick is to be ridiculously good at the game

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I loaded into the interference mission and got no enemies

seems weird that the game would be falling apart on a release that adds so little content

Small indie dev pls understood

Look up a youtuber named Esoterickk. He has soloing end game content down to a fine art.
    Be aware however that it will not go as smoothly as he makes it look at first, and it may very well take you quite some time before you know the limits of your character in content like that because it is very different from regular Destiny. However once you do get that down it's all relatively simple.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/5RWY9x1Q39c

Byf gives his thoughts on the writing for Year 3 so far. He makes a few good critiques such as the non-entity that is the fourth Psion Sister that causes Season Of The Worthy's plot.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »

Gambit prime right now is in a place where your team should kill the boss with a x2 stack, at most, or you’re probably losing.

Agreed. GPrime is such right now that if I load into a game where the otherside even has a 2-stack and we don't, I assume we've lost. Its just too easy to rip the bosses apart. I'm regularly around half my teams damage, and thats basically entirely due to Mountaintop.

Its why I only play Prime if I'm trying to just get the 3 games out of the way for the weekly. If I want to actually try to do stuff or have fun, I do regular gambit. The resets on everything but super between rounds actually go a long way towards making things feel more fair (shards BB hunters in the tiebreaker excluded)

After playing about 6 games in gambit this season (for the first time since season of the drifter) it's a real shame the way bungie has treated Gambit.

It's a great idea that needs a lot of iteration. There are moments in which it all comes together and it's amazing, but you have to put up with so much bullshit to get there. Also lol the level up packages give you 750 gear, very cool bungie

Nerf invaders

Also it's kinda crazy how freelance competitive has turned into the sleeper best mode in destiny. It's fun, intense, rewarding and rarely feels like bullshit for more than one game in a row.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Just noticed that the full name of the new Ikelos SG with random rolls is IKELOS_SG_V1.0.2 while the old one is IKELOS_SG_V1.0.1.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    After playing about 6 games in gambit this season (for the first time since season of the drifter) it's a real shame the way bungie has treated Gambit.

It's a great idea that needs a lot of iteration. There are moments in which it all comes together and it's amazing, but you have to put up with so much bullshit to get there. Also lol the level up packages give you 750 gear, very cool bungie

Nerf invaders

Yeah, invaders are a pain.

I’ve lost matches despite our team having our primeval at 50%, and the opposition not starting their yet, because you get to the point where they invade every 30 seconds, get 2 or 3 kills which heal it, then repeat until you’re back at 100%, and they’ve then got 3 people burning theirs down.

One really good pvp player can win the match, either way.

I’d like the final phase invading toned way back, so there is more focus on the PvE. But enough PvP to keep things interesting.

It’s probably a tricky balance.

• CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Esoterickk has put out a solo video guide for it. That came out yesterday I think so I’d long cemented my strategy at that point.
    My solo strat:
    Mod Setup
    - Taken and Hive barriers basically mandatory
    - Whichever charged with light mod lets you get charged by picking up orbs of light, and protective light on another piece of gear for massive damage resistance when your shields go down
    - Warmind protection for damage resistance from enemies near warmind cells. Even though most of the time mobs shouldn’t be staying alive long
    - Grenade reloaded, finder, scavenger and dex mods. If you use mtop anarchy the way I did this helps bigtime
    - Resist mods: Two major, one minor, one boss, one concussive damper

First Hallway
    Use whatever you like. It’s the tutorial for the dungeon mechanic, you should be able to get through this section without dying with no need for any real tricks or strategies. There’s also a skip cheese to go straight to the first boss...it doesn’t actually save you a lot of time since you have to wait for super but after you’ve run the dungeon a dozen times attempting flawless it can help save your sanity.

Phalanx Boss
    I ran well of radiance warlock, mountaintop, falling guillotine and any decent ad-killing primary. Seraph weapons are quite helpful though as warmind orbs can spawn, the mod for damage reduction was most useful. Never stop moving, healing grenades when necessary, well and abuse whirlwind blade to one phase the boss if possible. However sometimes the boss won’t stay in the well and you wind up having to two phase.

Wasteland
    An exercise in tedium and patience but not actually all that difficult. Use whatever, though xenophage helps take out the snipers

Hexagon
    Devour warlock comes in clutch from here to the end. Eat your grenade as the Mobs spawn and mountain top them to wipe both groups quickly. Then you can xenophage/mountaintop both snipers, which spawn the knights when killed. Quickly kill them and dunk and take the teleporter, then repeat. A trick is you can quickly run over the teleport pad then run away and hide if there’s still enemies alive, and it will teleport you without you being stuck in the middle taking fire.

Rainbow Road
    Take your time, stay off your sparrow if you want to be safe. Xenophage and mountaintop to take out snipers from far away. Pray the final floating tunnel thing doesn’t randomly kill you for no reason to end your run.

Final Boss
    Mountaintop, seraph weapon, anarchy requires. Oppressive darkness very very useful. Devour warlock again.

Eat your grenade, murder the mobs, anarchy knights and run to the appropriate section while they die to generate the desired notes.

Once you cleanse a pillar the boss disappears from the corner which gives you a safe section to hide in when needed. Ensure you immediately murder the ogre in its crib as it spawns or it will end your run. Once you’ve cleansed everything you can farm ammo and recharge grenade if needed before taking the teleporter (same trick works as in the hexagon). Also useful is grabbing orbs of light for the protection mod before teleporting through.

Boss damage phase nail him with your void grenade ASAP (should have time for a second one halfway through the phase) and then use super, anarchy, mountaintop. Priority is survival first, dps second, so stay within range to avoid the wipe mechanic and murder the snipers immediately. When the phase ends feel free to charge your grenade and super before taking the teleporter.

Repeat until dead. Should be doable in 2-3 damage phases.
    Expect to come out of this with an uncontrollable nervous tick, pulsing forehead vein and ptsd

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Also it's kinda crazy how freelance competitive has turned into the sleeper best mode in destiny. It's fun, intense, rewarding and rarely feels like bullshit for more than one game in a row.
    Comp is also the only mode that still uses SBMM, so take that for what it's worth.

26904.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah, the team queues suffer from trying to balance teams across an invisible average score of 3 different people. It's way easier for the matchmaker to find 6 people at similar skill than 2 teams of 3 with similar skill.