As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wait, this isn't a Homeworld game? [Hardspace: Shipbreaker]

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    One of my favorite things is to peel off all the exterior parts before poking into the insides to start work there. The ships are like onions, they have layers.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Fuses aren't bugged...

I am about 99% certain you just need to be grounded when you grab them.

If I shut off the fuse correctly, it just pops out and I can pick it up like a data drive.

Even with shutting it off correctly they still try to kill me half the time.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    Yeah, the first time I interacted with a fuse, I got a little zap when I threw the switch, but the fuse popped out and I pocketed it no problem. The second time, I found a fuse floating free a few meters above the ship. When I tried to grab that one, something happened, and I was tumbling through the void with zero suit integrity. My oxygen ran out and I died before I could recover my bearings and make it even halfway back to the hab.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    One of my favorite things is to peel off all the exterior parts before poking into the insides to start work there. The ships are like onions, they have layers.

I love that too! Except for the one (two... three...) times that I decided that the thruster also constituted an exterior part!

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

I love that too! Except for the one (two... three...) times that I decided that the thruster also constituted an exterior part!

Or catch the edge of a window with the cutter.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    the way I've been doing it is, I close the airlocks, go to every regulator I can find and set them to depressurized, then open every internal door, then cycle the airlocks again

I didn't realize they had settings, thought they were just 'do opposite of what is current state'

This makes that explosive decompression make more sense

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    mind you my system is not a great one, it still makes anything not bolted down fly around

what I need to do is test whether you can use a glove magnet while you open a door, that would help a lot

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I thought about starting in the smallest room and depressurize out to largest room. Nope. It is the same as going the large room then the small.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    mind you my system is not a great one, it still makes anything not bolted down fly around

what I need to do is test whether you can use a glove magnet while you open a door, that would help a lot

Oh, I thought you had bypassed any decompression. See me, I pressurized, then cut the doors open that would close when i cycled the regulators, but the game does not recognize that as creating a single pressure zone

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options

If you grab a wall when opening a pressurized area, you are held in place until the air finishes settling. Unless you've decompressed an airlock from outside, then it just explodes. Good way to get rid of airlocks though.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I've found that airlocks are pretty easy to cut apart once the neighboring hull panels are gone. Just check the background for your line of fire, and blast away with the saw parallel to the inner pressure bulkhead. It'll detach in a matter of seconds.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Part of me wants there to be an element from that house flipper game in this. Take a wreck of a ship and fix it up to order. Oh the contract asks for the transport to become a cargo hauler? Rip those seats out and put in some cargo storage!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I am now allowed to work on Gecko-class ships. I have successfully caused the entire aft end of my first one to explode into tiny fragments after giving up on figuring out where one of the pipes got fluid from.

• Options
    I am now allowed to work on Gecko-class ships. I have successfully caused the entire aft end of my first one to explode into tiny fragments after giving up on figuring out where one of the pipes got fluid from.

Purple pipes go from the reactor to the thrusters. You can flush them with the console in front of the reactor using a key, or manually one at a time, risking explosions.
    Although:
    If you melt (melt, not cut) the purple cube piece between each thruster and the panel with the disconnect switch, that seems to disconnect them safely. I don't know if that is intended.

Blue pipes are coolant, and connect to the Environmental Control Unit, which you have probably encountered. What you may not realize is you can open it up and remove the coolant pods inside it to flush the blue pipes. (I assume eventually tutorials will tell us this)

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Be careful with what you try to pick up with F. My one death so far happened because I tried to pick up a fuse I removed in a Gecko. I was flung against the side of the ship my face mask smashed and I was dead before I had a chance to react.

• Options
    I thiiiink if you don't have a utility key you can prevent a fuel explosion by pulling all the fuel tanks free before pulling the levers on the thrusters

I'm not sure though

I also have to check if there is a utility key available somewhere in every ship, it seems like not but they can be tricky little buggers to find (I've seen more than one floating in a deep corner of the crawlspace)

• Options
    I did a couple shifts on my lunch break. Now that I figured out there's a key to put each of your hands out to touch surfaces and hear stuff, it's much easier to deal with explosive decompression. Think I got the hang of extracting the reactor and the main drives in a single shift. Not super difficult and you can net yourself 4 million. Paid off my helmet so now I've improved my daily profit margins by a minuscule amount!

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    One of the modes of the scanner will show you the key. Which makes it a bit easier to find if it is in the crawlspace.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I don't think there's supposed to be a guaranteed way to safely remove thrusters without a maintenance key, if there is a console. Mackerels that don't have a console you can manually flush, so far as I've seen.

The Object scanner shows maintenance keys as pink, which is helpful for finding them. Also, if you want to avoid pushing things into a parallel dimension that you mean to pick up, switch to the cutter. It doesn't do anything when you mistime your button press.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Seg wrote: »
    Be careful with what you try to pick up with F. My one death so far happened because I tried to pick up a fuse I removed in a Gecko. I was flung against the side of the ship my face mask smashed and I was dead before I had a chance to react.

Yeah fuses have a physics glitch with them atm. When you grab them they will often try to go back to the place they were originally mounted, taking you with them at high speeds.

Tractor the fuse close to a solid surface, grab the surface with one hand, (use Z or X to attach), and then grab the fuse. That seems to counteract the physics bug because the game knows you can't be moved. I'm 6/6 on this method for not getting blasted into a wall.

I don't think there's supposed to be a guaranteed way to safely remove thrusters without a maintenance key, if there is a console. Mackerels that don't have a console you can manually flush, so far as I've seen.

There is a variant of the 'hard' Mackerel that has a flush console.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    I ran outta keys so I've just been pulling the stern apart and manually flushing one at a time. tractor the thruster to the barge and you're all set

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    This looks awesome, but my computer is old and (I believe) below even minimum spec. Maybe it'll be out of Early Access by the time I can run it... :(

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    fwiw they're planning XB1 and PS4 versions as well

• Options
    just took apart my first cargo-variant gecko

so, so much easier than the transport version, fuck all those goddamn chairs

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I'm sure no one is ignoring them, but Data Drives are also worth 100 LT each, so pick them up if only for that.

Edit: Pick up and decode them

captaink on
  • Options
    just took apart my first cargo-variant gecko

so, so much easier than the transport version, fuck all those goddamn chairs

Transport versions got a lot more electronics though, if you need them for ranking up.

Also, I have found an easier way to deal with the bulk of the chairs. Strip away the hull, fly into the cabin, and saw the whole middle chunk of chairs free, leaving them attached to the floor. Then just tether the whole floor down to the barge. It's a lot faster and then you also get a nice big hole to toss other stuff down as well.

The only hitch is sometimes it doesn't seem to count all the chairs attached to it, but you can float down there and pull off the ones it's not counting so it registers them. (any that are already counted you won't be able to pull off)

• Options
    Today I took my time in free play dissecting a cargo Gecko. Got the entire thing apart and sent to the various areas with no loss of parts or damage.

However I did the cockpit last and gave up trying to separate it from its attached outer hull and instead sent that whole part into the processor.

• Options
    Today I took my time in free play dissecting a cargo Gecko. Got the entire thing apart and sent to the various areas with no loss of parts or damage.

However I did the cockpit last and gave up trying to separate it from its attached outer hull and instead sent that whole part into the processor.

Yeah there doesn't seem to be a way to manage that. You could maybe manually cut away the interior panels but honestly, it's not worth it. The metal is worth a LOT less than the nanocarbon.

• Options
    I hope this game adds larger ships and also multiplayer. Having to work together to drain coolant and pull parts out would be cool.

Like ships big enough where you could have like five or six people all working at the same time pulling it apart.

• Options
    I hope this game adds larger ships and also multiplayer. Having to work together to drain coolant and pull parts out would be cool.

Like ships big enough where you could have like five or six people all working at the same time pulling it apart.

One thing coming in the future is user made content. If they gave us a ship builder that would be super cool.

• Options
    They say they want to add ships that are "100+ meters", which is twice the length of Geckos, so I expect some chonky ships to dismantle

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Let me dismantle a giant mech you cowards!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Just unlocked the bigger ships and they're so much more interesting to chop up.

I keep looking up at the space station and big ships and hope stuff of that scope comes into play in the finished game

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    the easiest way to deal with the cockpit is to use the splitsaw to just cut through the panels just behind where the seat would be

due to the shape you can just tether the last piece of hull into the processor, and the crew box into the furnace

it's really only worth it if you have the time though, aluminum is not worth much money, as said above

• Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Just unlocked the bigger ships and they're so much more interesting to chop up.

I keep looking up at the space station and big ships and hope stuff of that scope comes into play in the finished game

Give me an ion frigate to chop up.

• Options
    Ooof, my level 7 objectives all seem to have reset on me.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Hit rank 7, the industrial mackerels you can get are a lot less work than the transport ones. Way less internal structure to take apart. I can actually get to the reactor in 2 shifts easily. And I scrapped the whole one last time I worked, only the cockpit is fiddly.

Used the 'stars' above the yard to pull the 2 big rear hull pieces up and over the ship past the furnace. Worked much easier, though pretty slow.

I'm reading on Reddit that the rank 9 splitsaw upgrade can cut nanocarbon. However, it turns it to scrap, making it pretty worthless. Current strategy seems to be 'avoid', since you can't undo it.

I think I need to get better about using the splitsaw more, it's so fast. I just really like the precision of of the other mode.

captaink on
  • Options
    What does repairing your tools actually do? They don't just stop working at 0%, but do they take longer or anything?

• Options
    edited June 2020
    The game seems to have patched to version 0.1.2, which in-game says Leaderboards, some translation stuff, and a bunch of unlisted bug fixes. Looking for patch notes but they don't seem to be up anywhere.

Guess I'll start playing and look for changes.

-edit-

First thing I see is utility keys for sale at the Master Jack for 50k each.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    What does repairing your tools actually do? They don't just stop working at 0%, but do they take longer or anything?

Curious about this as well. Just assumed they quit working at 0

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/