As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    A couple days ago, the new CM said we will “know more about it” next week.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Seems that the EU and Asia servers were late on their seasons ending so guess the America will do the same.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    A huge "thank you" to Betsuni and zerospace, who absolutely carried me through Curses! and Boss Mode yesterday (helping me finish off the Season's conquests), and then fast-tracked me through a grift to get the last few levels on a legendary gem. Watching them dismantle Boss Mode was truly inspiring; I think I managed to catch a glimpse of two or three bosses just before they were reduced to puddles of loot.

Well you did have to kill Belial on your own.
    My ultimate favorite is stabbing the Siegebreaker before he comes out of the door and Queen Araneae before she runs off.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Bets and Zero are the heroes we need, but don't deserve.

• HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    I was hoping if I put my Switch in airplane mode I could squeeze a little more time out of the season but no joy. So it goes. It was a lovely ride. I topped out at GR111 and paragon 1320ish. I feel like I could have pushed past GR115 or so if I had another day or two to finish augmenting all my gear w/ 100lvl gems.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    I love that portrait and pet! Especially the pet, another non-creepy one to use!

Conquests
    For Curses!/Stars Align, pick any Cursed Chest event that requires killing monsters and defeat over 350 or more at level 70 on Torment X or higher. Also returning for Season 21 is Sprinter/Speed Racer, where you’re challenged to complete the entire Diablo III campaign from Act I to Act V at level 70 in under 1 hour! Next is Avarice/Avaritia, where all that glitters is gold—that is, if you can complete a 50 million gold streak outside of The Vault or its Inner Sanctum. We're also bringing Thrill/Superhuman, which requires completion of a Greater Rift level 45—solo and without any Set items equipped. And lastly we'll be bringing back Speed Demon/Need for Speed, meaning you'll need to beat a Torment X Nephalem Rift at level 70 in 2 minutes.

So yep, Curses (not recommended for console), Avarice, Thrill and Speed Demon this season.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I'm sorry, non-creepy? A lizard in a jar - evoking animals/human remains bottled in preserving fluid - mounted on a skittering mechano-spider base is non-creepy? Remind me to never visit your house for Halloween.

Delduwath wrote: »
    I'm sorry, non-creepy? A lizard in a jar - evoking animals/human remains bottled in preserving fluid - mounted on a skittering mechano-spider base is non-creepy? Remind me to never visit your house for Halloween.

Ok ok, you got me there.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Hello thread!
    I have a friend whom I've finally convinced to get the game for the Switch
    if they ask me which class to pick ...

What should I suggest (for this new season)?

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I got the old hankering last week and rolled up a Necro, but couldn't grind far enough into the conquests for the stash tab. But now I'm planning on running Season 21 from the start.
    @ZeroSpace @Delduwath @Betsuni want to group up from the start to grind up levels? I'm planning on going back to my Barb roots for this season to start.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    I'll be on here and there, but I really only have the time to play in short bursts, sporadically, throughout the season; I think some of the other folks like to start a new season the moment it opens, and grind up together, so I think they'll be your best bet for an early start!

Hello thread!

Are they playing with
    Hello thread!

I found playing Wiz fun on the console (plus Blizzard seems to love them).
    I got the old hankering last week and rolled up a Necro, but couldn't grind far enough into the conquests for the stash tab. But now I'm planning on running Season 21 from the start.
    Z Delduwath Betsuni want to group up from the start to grind up levels? I'm planning on going back to my Barb roots for this season to start.

Sure, a bunch of us are running HC characters this season though. If you're on right when the season starts there are usually a ton of PA folk to level with. Or you can wait the next weekend and get power leveled by a few of us. I'm sure that Zero and I will make regular characters to help PA folk.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Yeah, I'm not huge on HC myself, don't need that stress. :redface:
    I just like jamming normal and having fun steamrolling stuff when you get built.

Edit: what time on the day does a season usually start? Forgot I have the 3rd off from work since the 4th falls on a weekend!

Custom Special on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    I think they usually start around 5PM PST.

• RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    I’m commissioning a greenfield through next month, so we’ve been doing 6 10’s (plus I have an hour commute). Was hoping to catch the season start on Switch, but probably going to end up playing catch up once the site is up and running. Womp womp.

• Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Hello thread!

Are they playing with
    Hello thread!

I found playing Wiz fun on the console (plus Blizzard seems to love them).

My plan is to start the next season with them. I like how the seasonal journey helps pointing the player towards what they could be doing to improve their progression, so that they won't need me to be able to learn more about the game and how to improve their enjoyment of it.
    I'll recommend the Wiz. Thank you!

Yeah, I'm not huge on HC myself, don't need that stress. :redface:
    I just like jamming normal and having fun steamrolling stuff when you get built.

Edit: what time on the day does a season usually start? Forgot I have the 3rd off from work since the 4th falls on a weekend!

You can be like me (and @Noggin ) and die a lot. Then become a running joke for the group on who gets one of us killed. The best part of HC is the need to use random legendaries that you would not usually touch.

But yeah, I understand the fun of playing regular since you can calmly murder monsters and demons for fun and profit. I mainly play D3 to play with others and calmly murder monsters so yeap, I'll make a regular season DH like usual.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I named my HC DH Notsuni because of that running joke, then RIP’d it like 3 times.

Season start should be... entertaining.

edited June 2020
    If you start the season HC on Friday night and are on voice chat (PA discord?), then I would be willing to try it and run around screaming at near-death experiences (slash actual-death experiences).
    But quietly running HC alone in my room is :sad: and I'll just level up my seasonal and then I can help you guys ramp up when you switch over.

Custom Special on
    If you start the season HC on Friday night and are on voice chat (PA discord?), then I would be willing to try it and run around screaming at near-death experiences (slash actual-death experiences).
    But quietly running HC alone in my room is :sad: and I'll just level up my seasonal and then I can help you guys ramp up when you switch over.

I'm very shy about my voice.

Honestly, I never have chatted via Discord while playing D3 on the PC. I did use it once to play the console version with @Klatu a long time ago.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    We will be on Friday night for sure. And while we have not used Discord I am certainly willing to do so! Playing with people is significantly more fun than playing solo. Ease of multiplayer is a big strong point in the Diablo 3 discussion imho.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

@Noggin and @HexDex sent you both a friend on Bnet!

Noggin and HexDex sent you both a friend on Bnet!

Hahahahaha, you know I completely forgot who you were in D3 till I saw your signature. Duh! I remember now. To be honest I don't remember many people by their PA handle and D3 name since I know most of us have odd Blizzard accounts that we made before the Internet was cool.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »
    We will be on Friday night for sure. And while we have not used Discord I am certainly willing to do so! Playing with people is significantly more fun than playing solo. Ease of multiplayer is a big strong point in the Diablo 3 discussion imho.

There's no cross-platform play, right? I've inferred y'all are PC, which means I'll need to find other Switchers, right?

PSN: peepshowofforce

There's no cross-platform play, right? I've inferred y'all are PC, which means I'll need to find other Switchers, right?

Yeah sadly they don't allow cross platform (and yeah we're mainly on the PC).

oosik_betsuni.png
    There are some switch player codes in the first post for anyone interested. And I can add more if anyone needs.

I should be on for the 3rd, but most likely late and definitely off and on.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I'll be playing both Switch and PC this season.

I most definitely won't be doing Hardcore on Switch, however. I actually don't know my Switch code, I thought you could just use usernames now? I think have like 3 people on my Switch friends list so...I actually just don't know.

I hope they fix whatever is the deal with the portrait frame for last season (maybe previous ones, but last season is when I got the Switch version) on the Switch, where the season unique portrait frame (not the progressive one for conquests) is super low-rez and looks like garbage.

I'll probably focus on HC for PC. Last season after I found out that I actually quite enjoyed it, I didn't go back and touch softcore again. I haven't ever played HC multiplayer though, maybe when you're not fully in control it is a lot more stressful? That might matter. Either way, I am planning on doing my first season character, and the journey, on HC out of the gate.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    So, I am reminded today that it is a very dear friends birthday July 3rd, so I will not be on for season start Friday as I had anticipated.

I will instead be out being social, you have my deepest apologies, but I will see everyone Saturday!

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

There were a few differences in the final notes:
    - Seasonal buff no longer uses area damage and is somehow based on kills
    - Razeth’s (nec shoulder) got buffed from 50% to 60% DR.
    - Maltorius’ (bone spear scythe) is now multiplicative instead of additive

The last one is apparently referring to Bone spear increase on gear (up to 45%), and not the 6pc. It’s still a buff of a couple GR’s, and they’re keeping an eye on necro for next patch.

So, I am reminded today that it is a very dear friends birthday July 3rd, so I will not be on for season start Friday as I had anticipated.

I will instead be out being social, you have my deepest apologies, but I will see everyone Saturday!

Be safe dude.

I find it weird they dropping it on the 4th of July weekend.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I find it funny in the battle.net patch notes section it mentions things in red, when there is nothing in red. They just copy/pasted the website notes and didn't change that. :lol:

Still baffled by the season buff. 90s is definitely better than 120s, but it's still so long that it'd be really difficult or annoying to plan around, so I just forsee it being a thing that goes off randomly, and is rarely useful. I imagine the hardcore paragon farmers will incorporate it into their speeds, and I guess if you're pushing GR's and you're already there a longer amount of time, you could integrate it. it'd just be nice if it were something that, maybe not automatic like last seasons that was based on kill sprees; but have some means of triggering it after earning it? Like, you still have to wait 90s to get it after you use it last or whatever, but have some trigger button to use it when you want it. Maybe that's just too powerful. Or maybe D3 isn't set up to do something like that. I know consoles don't really have any free buttons to use. Meh.

I might try to farm up the new sets between the seasons and see how they feel.

edited June 2020
    https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23463858/diablo-iv-quarterly-update-june-2020

Quarterly update!

32pocf8u757d.jpeg

I’m still not sold on angelic/demonic, but I’m very happy with more examples of (edit, unique) items that provide better freedom of skill choice than D3.

Noggin on
    I don't see how the "powers" are going to do anything but make your gear options really narrow. If you're required to have certain amounts of whatever power for potentially major bonuses on gear to be active, people are just going to build sets around that specific power to the detriment of any others.

Or, like D2 you'll just aim for the bare minimum of whatever you need and that's it.

If how much any gear gives toward whatever power is random too, that's just going to be miserable.

It just seems like an illusion of choice by moving away from sets providing the foundation for builds, and just replacing the limitation of options on some arbitrary power level. Unless I'm just totally missing something, it feels like all the consequences of sets with no real additional benefit outside of the idea of being able to use more legendaries instead of sets.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah, this kind of skill progression feels more like Destiny, attaching too much skill/attack weight to weapons and the power dynamic feels inherently limiting.

But again, we don't have a whole lot to go by here, it may end up being incredibly flexible. I'd like to think they saw what devs were doing with Grim Dawn and PoE and the fans response was and decided to move towards more open build options, so I'm not going to be a gloomy gus about it yet.

I realized I worded that strangely, I meant that I like the unique bonuses being more general and the freedom that might come from them.

We also don’t know what options we might have for enchanting, crafting, modding, rerolling... and they still refer to this design as a work in progress.

Also the open world stuff sounded like it could be great, and still has an almost single-player focus if you want that.

I'm not really a huge fan of going back to minimum stats of any kind on items (beyond level/proficiency). I have a lot of fun with Diablo 3 when I get back into the mood for it and have no problem with a darker world...but not at the cost of bogging down the gameplay.

Yeah, I'm with ya, I just feel like if they're gonna show a thing off, at least justify it a bit.

I hope they don't go as open as PoE and the like. That's too open for my taste. It's not a good/bad thing, it's just a preference. Even in open world games, if given the choice I'd prefer some sort of "class" restrictions, even if they're fairly flexible, because I want a bit of boundaries. Plus it helps make replaying and alts more appealing.

Granted, given that D4 does have classes, this isn't really a concern here. I'm not sure what their goal with rune/runewords/gems will be in D4, but I hope they're not making gear itself generic and relying on those to customize for specific builds. It isn't necessarily a bad way of going about it, it just could easily run into a situation where you've just got too many systems to avoid a problem, but introducing others.

Probably, I just need to be more patient and give them time. It's still (relatively) early on in development, and I'm sure it'll all change a lot from milestone to milestone. Plus, even if I have opinions about the company itself these days, there is probably no single company (other than maybe SquareEnix) that has provided me with even remotely as much entertainment and fun. So at least from a design/development perspective, I can give them some slack.

Gonna rant a minute about Destiny and how it relates to this, but I'll spoil it because it's just a rant and I might be typing it more for me, than anything else. :lol:
    Since Destiny was brought up, I'll compare it to fixed vs random rolls there. The idea of random rolls seems appealing when you've gotten a dozen of the same version of the item...but when you're just farming for dozens of that item trying to find the "right" roll...have you really improved the system? Or just added randomness to provide an illusion of choice, when you've actually just made it harder to get to the same end result with no real benefit? With Destiny my view has always been that random rolls would have been fine had they first went through and reined in the sheer amount of gear in the game that wasn't useful. A specific weapon being the best option for most players isn't why all that other gear isn't appealing. It's that there's too many items that couldn't compete, because each needed to be different, and if you changed one thing without the other (as they did) you're just making a worse problem. So, they added randomization, without addressing quantity (or the limitations of archtypes that for one reason or another couldn't compete with others, and no perk rolls would change that), and you still ended up aiming for the exact same gear, but with the randomness making that more frustrating, and you still had 90% of the gear options completely useless. After that problem festered, now they're going in and "vaulting" or "sunsetting" or whatever term they want to use, older gear, because again, they never solved the second half of the initial problem; only now they've compounded trying to solve that problem several years too late with angering a playerbase who has spent a lot of time with that gear, getting that gear, and unlike Destiny 1, Destiny 2 had no initial indication that gear would ever be left behind (minus their switch to randomization, and even that was highly controversial).

This is all just a long way around saying, it's not that I don't think the way they're going to do gearing in D4 can't work. It's just that I'm worried that they're going to try to solve one problem, without addressing the problems associated with it (or trading off for the opposite, which just comes with its own slate of problems), and like Destiny 2, end up where they'll have to go back in later and rework something that could have been solved out of the gate, upending the playerbase in the process.

Or, I guess another way; since they're already making significant changes to the systems that players are going to have to adjust to anyway; why not just go the next step and make it as futureproof (a Sisyphean task, I know) as possible and rip the bandaid off all at once? Because in my view anyway, if they do like Destiny 2 did and keep making major system changes over time that undermined the players investment, you're going to make a lot of players start to question why they're even bothering. Part of that was the fact that Bungie kept leaving in the old versions, because I imagine someone felt like if they just replaced the old versions, then players wouldn't need to reacquire items, and they wouldn't play as long...but then the players get so frustrated about having to re-earn what they've already earned, that they stop playing anyway. At least with Diablo 3, when they changed stuff, they just altered existing versions...and they had a built in system with Seasons to keep players re-playing the same stuff (something they have totally fumbled in Destiny, in my mind, because of the gearing problems I mentioned).

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I think there can be a happy middle ground between the 20 viable builds per character class in PoE and the 2-3 in Diablo 3.

There are class/skill specific items in PoE, but they're very few and far between (The Virulence Stacks for the Pathfinder class only has 1 aura skill, for instance). But let's forget about itemization for a second and focus on why the number of viable builds in PoE is so much bigger than D3: Rifts.

Rifts are a never-ending, ceiling-less mechanic that filters out all but the strongest builds. Path of Exile's endgame has several actual endgames but there are goals for each, which can be beaten and exist at a somewhat fixed level.

Some people like going for high scores (i.e. grift levels), some like finishing out story threads, but the high score method means that eventually there's only going to be a very limited number of builds that can compete at the ultra high level.

I want to say that as a stand-alone endgame, I think grifting is insubstantial. As a component for the rest of the game, it could be quite rewarding to see an objective measure of character progress.

jungleroomx on
This discussion has been closed.