As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Loaded up Bloodstained to take a quick look at Zangetsu mode, but looks like I'd have to go beat the final boss again in order to unlock it. Not a big deal, but I don't feel like doing that at the moment. Oh well.

Yeah, I spent a while trying to figure out where to select him as a character. Thankfully I had a several saves right at the end.
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I played as much as I could on the switch

it's so bad compared to the PC

is Zangetsu just the same game but with him instead of her?

Yes. He's got some cool skills and movement though. I think it's pretty nice for a free DLC.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    is Zangetsu just the same game but with him instead of her?

Its the same content, but Zangetsu is more like Richter in SOTN. You have all your abilities to begin with, and I think hardly any upgrades or potions etc. so it's more on you to git gud enough to overcome everything.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Trying out Zangetsu and I’m really glad they let him gain experience and level up.

Makes killing every enemy seem worthwhile.

OH MY GOD THIS RANDOMIZER SEED.

First Chest: PLUNDERER'S RING.
    Second Chest: 500g
    First Shard from the Squid Guys: RIGA DOHIN
    Third Chest: ZANGETSUTO

OKAY.

edited May 2020
    Okay I'm still on the ship and Now Gebel's Glasses have dropped so I now have infinite magic. This is fucking bonkers.

Viskod on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Okay I'm still on the ship and Now Gebel's Glasses have dropped so I now have infinite magic. This is fucking bonkers.

...what. I'm surprised they let the completion reward gear drop - that stuff trivializes the game mostly.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    One minor quibble. Not even a complaint, I certainly don't mind they did this, but *pushes glasses up*

In regards to Lisa;
    Technically she shouldn't have been in Hell.

You ever wonder why they burned heretics and witches at the stake? Instead of simply hanging them or beheading them? Burning at the stake was a horrific method of execution. Obviously for the poor sap being burned alive, but it is no Spring Picnic for those watching either. The whole ordeal was nightmarish. There are accounts from some who had witnessed such things who wrote about having nightmares for days after and of getting physically sick.

So why'd they do it?

Well, the entire idea behind it was that the fire would purify the sinner's soul to save it. Any other method of execution would damn the soul.

/pedantry
    it wasn't just for that reason. it was also done for more cynical and practical reasons. the fear of it got false confessions and kept people inline. the terror was the point, the terror was a critical tool of the church. you cannot separate the power of the church from it's terror tactics.

for the rubes and the gullible it was "do as we say or this will happen to you, in hell forever. also you know those women you hate and sinful nobles with their sinful ways? yeah this is going to happen to them forever as well so just think of that and be happy because god will get your revenge for you"

for the smarter people it was "do as we say because if you cross the line we are going to do this to you or a loved one"

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Finally got around to watching season three. Boy there sure was a lot of fuckin!
    I knew that judge guy was no good when he commented about flogging people until they do as he says. The moment he told the running boy to go way out into the woods for apples, I was like he just sent that kid off to die didn't he. Wasn't really expecting the shoe room though.

I was disappointed Hector wasn't a little more wise to Lenore's games. He was at first but boy did he fall for it fast.

I do not understand why Lisa is in hell. Hopefully that gets some explanation later on.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Finally got around to watching season three. Boy there sure was a lot of fuckin!
    I knew that judge guy was no good when he commented about flogging people until they do as he says. The moment he told the running boy to go way out into the woods for apples, I was like he just sent that kid off to die didn't he. Wasn't really expecting the shoe room though.

I was disappointed Hector wasn't a little more wise to Lenore's games. He was at first but boy did he fall for it fast.

I do not understand why Lisa is in hell. Hopefully that gets some explanation later on.
    Let He who has not sworn their Eternal Soul to a woman while in the throes of passion cast the first stone. :razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.

She was sleeping with and sired a child with Dracula! She didn't repent for it either. Whatever good deeds she did don't change that fact. It doesn't matter if you make a bargain with Satan to heal people and save your wife and kids, you still made a bargain with Satan and go to hell.

That's the way this has always worked, per the church if you believe in Christianity. You don't bargain with, make deals with, consort with, make friends with, or sleep with, evil beings. The moment you do you're going to hell. Even if you repent, which she did not, you may still be damned

So yeah, Lisa being in hell makes complete and total sense. What doesn't make sense is her being allowed to see Dracula, but she should be in hell.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    She was sleeping with and sired a child with Dracula! She didn't repent for it either.
    What about anything she did ought she repent? Dracula's not exactly Satan, but even if he were, making a bargain with the devil and then going on to make the world a genuinely better place, healing and educating man, seems like a pretty shitty thing for someone to send you to hell for. To say nothing of making great strides in actually rehabilitating the devil and making him into a force for good. Especially since it's the so called 'godly' jerks who spoiled the whole thing when it was going great. I don't even know if there is a God in the Castlevania-verse (there's presumably something like it) but if that's how he operates he's a huge dick.

I think the cosmology is probably less strictly biblical though, and something closer to generalized notions of good and evil and self-determination, rather than strict religious dogma. There's a Satan in some of the Castlevania games, but in others the major force of evil in the cosmos is the power of Chaos, and it seems more elemental than a distinct personality - Dracula acts as the avatar precisely because its otherwise unfocused.

Personally, the Lisa in hell with Dracula thing? I figure Dracula is punishing himself, and therefore is in hell, but Lisa's love for him and desire to be with him united their souls.

So in one sense they're in hell, but their love for one another, that redeeming quality present in Dracula, has brought them a strange kind of peace, if not actual bliss. They're together, alone, and almost seemed like they were dormant. Eternal sleep, eternal togetherness, alone.

Or at least eternal 'til some bugger opens a portal to awaken Dracula's soul, or something. I'm sure him waking up will be fine.

H9f4bVe.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm sure pulling Dracula out of hell and leaving his wife there to rot won't piss him off at all. Nopers. Not one bit.

I assume this is what's going to happen.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    She was sleeping with and sired a child with Dracula! She didn't repent for it either.
    What about anything she did ought she repent? Dracula's not exactly Satan, but even if he were, making a bargain with the devil and then going on to make the world a genuinely better place, healing and educating man, seems like a pretty shitty thing for someone to send you to hell for. To say nothing of making great strides in actually rehabilitating the devil and making him into a force for good. Especially since it's the so called 'godly' jerks who spoiled the whole thing when it was going great. I don't even know if there is a God in the Castlevania-verse (there's presumably something like it) but if that's how he operates he's a huge dick.

I think the cosmology is probably less strictly biblical though, and something closer to generalized notions of good and evil and self-determination, rather than strict religious dogma. There's a Satan in some of the Castlevania games, but in others the major force of evil in the cosmos is the power of Chaos, and it seems more elemental than a distinct personality - Dracula acts as the avatar precisely because its otherwise unfocused.

Personally, the Lisa in hell with Dracula thing? I figure Dracula is punishing himself, and therefore is in hell, but Lisa's love for him and desire to be with him united their souls.

So in one sense they're in hell, but their love for one another, that redeeming quality present in Dracula, has brought them a strange kind of peace, if not actual bliss. They're together, alone, and almost seemed like they were dormant. Eternal sleep, eternal togetherness, alone.

Or at least eternal 'til some bugger opens a portal to awaken Dracula's soul, or something. I'm sure him waking up will be fine.
    she consorted with, slept with, and mothered a vampire child with the big bad of the vampires. per any sort of actual christianity that's "burn in the lowest pits of hell forever and get the double helping of the pain sauce". you can't look at it with liberal atheist eyes, because it's straight playing off what were the rules in old europe, and that's a straight trip to hell. we may think it's stupid, but her not being in hell wouldn't make a lick of sense in the europe of those ages. speakers would be going to hell as well, cause they aren't church folk. richter and alucard going to roast as well.

old christianity, back when it really was THE CHURCH was like that. even if you were good they could just deny you at the end and off you went to roast!

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

she consorted with, slept with, and mothered a vampire child with the big bad of the vampires. per any sort of actual christianity that's "burn in the lowest pits of hell forever and get the double helping of the pain sauce". you can't look at it with liberal atheist eyes, because it's straight playing off what were the rules in old europe, and that's a straight trip to hell. we may think it's stupid, but her not being in hell wouldn't make a lick of sense in the europe of those ages. speakers would be going to hell as well, cause they aren't church folk. richter and alucard going to roast as well.

old christianity, back when it really was THE CHURCH was like that. even if you were good they could just deny you at the end and off you went to roast!
    As noted, their part of hell didn't look roasty and tormenting. They were just sitting around having a moment in the ruins of her old house. Is "moderately desolate" part of Ye Olde Europe's conception of hell?

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I don't know much about religion, but isn't it like you can be absolved of your sins if you repent and ask for forgiveness or whatever? I mean, if there was a god, why would he let men make the rules? Shouldn't he be all like, "Yeah, you tried to save the world and did a lot of good. Come on in to heaven and what not."

Besides, I'm in the camp that Lisa was actually a succubus or something there to torment Dracula.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't know if I buy the 'human church officials dictate the ultimate fate of eternity' thing. If they do, then whoever set up those rules really fucked up big time.

I feel like the powers of heaven and hell, good and evil are more elemental than that in this setting. I mean, that complete a-hole priest became a zombie in season 2 and was still able to bless a river and make it holy water. How could an evil zombie priest still command benevolent divine forces if there was anything like a real intelligent agent arbitrating them?

H9f4bVe.png
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I don't know much about religion, but isn't it like you can be absolved of your sins if you repent and ask for forgiveness or whatever? I mean, if there was a god, why would he let men make the rules? Shouldn't he be all like, "Yeah, you tried to save the world and did a lot of good. Come on in to heaven and what not."

Besides, I'm in the camp that Lisa was actually a succubus or something there to torment Dracula.
    if you read the bible god is actually a giant fucking asshole, Jesus wasn't all that nice either. Regardless it's a take on traditional catholic religion in a crapsack world setting so yeah she went to hell
    Yeah, I don't know if I buy the 'human church officials dictate the ultimate fate of eternity' thing. If they do, then whoever set up those rules really fucked up big time.

I feel like the powers of heaven and hell, good and evil are more elemental than that in this setting. I mean, that complete a-hole priest became a zombie in season 2 and was still able to bless a river and make it holy water. How could an evil zombie priest still command benevolent divine forces if there was anything like a real intelligent agent arbitrating them?
    I agree, that's why I'm not a Christian, plus I think religion is nonsense. However in Christian literature there are many instances where someone makes a deal with the devil, daemon, evil spirit, magician, witch, whatever for a GOOD reason and still goes straight to hell... often after repenting. So you do not consort with, befriend, listen to, or have anything to do with these things. Dracula more than qualifies here. So yes, by Christianity classically and at the time, she goes straight to hell and her only potential get out of jail card would have been to scream she fucked up while burning alive and renounce Dracula and her son, that probably still would not have worked.

She she be in hell. Not by the morals that you and I play by, by Christianity, oh fuck yeah and she should have been spit roasted burning alive with demons rending chunks out of her flesh. It's not illogical for her to be there.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I guess it wasn't posted in here when the whole "you can hurt the first cyclops boss in Castlevania III using a dagger as a lightning rod" thing came to light last month...but today I did it myself! Not too hard, you just have to be lucky with your timing.
    And I got the newly-added achievement for it over at RetroAchievements, hooray!
    ji95bp6tbqek.jpg

Also, new Bloodstained info:

The game has officially sold 1 million units!

Looks like there will be a lot of updates this year, too:
    pi6ypzuceks5.png

Q2 2020
    Boss Revenge Mode - Take control of one of four in-game bosses and use them to battle the heroes of Bloodstained!

Chroma Wheel - The salon is back in business with more options than ever for character customization, including hair, clothing, and skin color. Switch up your look with a true color selector and eliminating pre-set options previously available.

Q3 2020
    VS Mode (Local/Online) - A tense survival mode where players compete by indirectly attacking each another.

Chaos Mode (Local/Online) - A specialized boss rush for 1 or 2 players. The mode includes randomized drops and special sub goals that will grant more equipment when completed. Collect the best, drop the rest as you build power to defeat all the bosses!

Classic Mode - It’s Bloodstained 80s-style as Miriam faces off against a series of sub-bosses laid out across five harrowing stages and three difficulty levels.

Q4 2020
    Playable Character - Bloodstained’s 3rd playable character after Miriam and Zangetsu. (It’s not Dominique)

I'm glad they have clarified the next playable character is not Dominique as had been rumored.

I'm glad they have clarified the next playable character is not Dominique as had been rumored.

Gebel hopes rekindled.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Viskod wrote: »

Gebel hopes rekindled.

I would kind of love it if they made Gebel playable, and he has a bunch of spells similar to Alucard in SOTN. Since he played like CV3 Alucard in CTM.

Enlong on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Not a word about further Switch improvements, so it looks like what we have now will be as good as it gets.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

if you read the bible god is actually a giant fucking asshole, Jesus wasn't all that nice either. Regardless it's a take on traditional catholic religion in a crapsack world setting so yeah she went to hell

I agree, that's why I'm not a Christian, plus I think religion is nonsense. However in Christian literature there are many instances where someone makes a deal with the devil, daemon, evil spirit, magician, witch, whatever for a GOOD reason and still goes straight to hell... often after repenting. So you do not consort with, befriend, listen to, or have anything to do with these things. Dracula more than qualifies here. So yes, by Christianity classically and at the time, she goes straight to hell and her only potential get out of jail card would have been to scream she fucked up while burning alive and renounce Dracula and her son, that probably still would not have worked.

She she be in hell. Not by the morals that you and I play by, by Christianity, oh fuck yeah and she should have been spit roasted burning alive with demons rending chunks out of her flesh. It's not illogical for her to be there.

There's something else about Christianity on a fundamental level.
    If you put anyone or anything earthly before God, including a person, you can go to hell for that too (that's the real meaning of Lust, its not necessarily sex.) When Christians get married, its for God. When Christians make babies, its for God. When people go to heaven, its to be with God. There may not even be couples or sex in heaven. She may be in hell because she chose him over God.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    We don't know:
    Where she was before we saw her with Dracula. Granted the consorting with the enemy thing works and seems likely even, but it could also be she was perfectly happy in Heaven all things considered, but then Dracula lost his marbles, got sent to hell, so she went with. And now can't get out.

That be the better take I think, give everyone more reason to be pissed.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    !!!!!!!

!!!!!!!

fcDblKr.jpg

!!!!!!!

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Didn’t see that coming. Nice.

oh, and playable dominique is kinda cool, too.

But magic mech-suited corgi!!

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    For Dracula and Lisa
    the traditional Catholic Church considers itself THE arbiter of the will of God and thus they consider anything they say as coming direct from God. So a monstrous priest could totally think he gets to send people to Hell, despite the Bible repeatedly saying human judgement is worth fuck-all on that score. The modern Catholic Church still thinks it runs the whole "Christianity" thing, despite loads of historical evidence showing them as one of the most wickedly corrupt long-running organizations ever.

From the Bible itself, Christ was outright opposed to a strict, organized structure of religion, seeing as part of his whole jaunt to Earth was supposed to break people free of legalistic religion where the rules mattered much more than individual faith. Somebody seeking to ease the suffering of others and almost redeeming the likes of Dracula in the process thanks to love? Yeah, Christ would've backed that over the Catholic Church any day of the week. Christ tossed salvation at a guy hanging on the cross beside him and the guy was up there for murder, and the guy at no point did the whole bullshit Catholic process of last rites or verbally repenting or anything. All he had to do was back Jesus and that was that, so all that Catholic crap with rites and rituals is all window dressing to prop up the power structure.

The Catholic Church thinks it has the right to send people to hell and actually has dick for rights on that front, but who knows what the afterlife setup is for Castlevania? Maybe it's one of those Dagobah "only what you take with you" situations. Dracula went full dark side and unleashed literal Hell on Earth, so after death it follows him. Lisa wants to be with Dracula so maybe that's enough for her and she doesn't actually care where she is.

Or it's just the succubus angle, which would line right up with the games. That would be my bet because it wouldn't make any theological sense that a super-asshole version of the Catholic Church, which is already an asshole organization, gets to flush people down the afterlife toilet when they have priests whose very presence in a church is enough of a desecration to let them get chomped by demons.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    "Hachi, attack!"

IJb1IDm.gif

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I was playing me some Harmony of Dissonance.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Ugh, I still haven't finished CotM part 1. Got to some section with instant death bug swarms or something. Just frustrating.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Ugh, I still haven't finished CotM part 1. Got to some section with instant death bug swarms or something. Just frustrating.

that part isn't that bad once you learn where they all are. that is the last level though, you should finish it!

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular

that part isn't that bad once you learn where they all are. that is the last level though, you should finish it!

Well, "where they all are" is everywhere, isn't it? That's the bit where you're being chased by the swarm, and it's destroying the stage as you try to escape? So you just need to keep moving to stay ahead of the swarm.

Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    [COTM2 gameplay]

Neat! Nothing really new to see on a gameplay front; Zangetsu plays like Zangetsu. I did like what they did at the end of that boss fight, though; caught me off guard.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I get the artwork style is supposed to be iconic, but the character art for Zangetsu is kinda doofy and his ginormous baby cheeks makes him look like a third of the age he was in Ritual of the Night

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    So, Curse of the Moon 2 already done?

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I think it's weird they went out of their way to say Dominique isn't going to be the next playable character, and then she's a playable character in CotM2, and is the only female in CotM or RotN that isn't Miriam, who we already know; when the silhouette looks female.

I mean, whatever, I guess; it's a wholly new franchise so technically pretty much every character is new, so it's not really that big of a deal.

But after CotM2, unless Dominique just isn't very good, I would imagine people would want to play as her more; and I understand that people already did.

I don't know!

However unless the updates to the game, namely the Switch version, took up the entirety of all avalaible studios manpower for the better part of the last year, I find the current roadmap highly suspect. I'm not bagging on them, it's one of the best games I've played in years (and I was mostly happy with the Switch version pre-patch too), playing to 100% completion on two platforms. I just don't think they're very good at estimating how long things will take to make, and that roadmap looks absurdly ambitious for a game that notoriously took a few extra years to make and the past year has gotten one real content update (again, the patching took up a lot of dev time, I'm sure, but they chose to release it when they did...).

Having said that, I should check out Zangetsu and the randomizer. I haven't played the game in some time, and I'm inbetween games right now.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Should be noted that just about everyone in ROTN fights different than they did in COTM. Miriam being the standout; she went from Simon Belmont to Soma Cruz. And Alfred as a boss fight is all about throwing potions and poisons instead of using magic.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The second trailer for COTM2 also reveals that
    Miriam, Gebel and Alfred are playable again. With a two player mode so you can have eight characters at once?