As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Going for Baroque! (wah wah wah waaaaaahhhhhh)

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Boo get off the stage

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Boo get off the stage

You naysayers sound like Baroquen records.

BlueDestiny on
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If this is the same Baroque that I know, it's probably based on a manga series of the same name (which, I think, is based on an even earlier PS1 game). I'm half-remembering this so forgive me if there are any mistakes.

The protagonist has a feeling of guilt because some angel dude tells him early on that, somehow, he is the one responsible for making the world some blasted hellscape. The angel gives him a chance to atone by killing the Mad God, whose madness seems to keep the world and their inhabitants in their mutated state.

Anyway, it sounds a lot like Planescape: Torment. Amnesiac protagonist that is semi-immortal that seemed to commit some horrible sin in the past, and is thrust into the middle of the world with little explanation. He even has a special tattoo on his right arm, just like TNO. The visual style is interesting, though. The monster designs in particular capture the grotesque feel quite well.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I can't speak for the rest of it, but I know it is a remake (I think?) of an old PS1 game that never got a release outside Japan.

JihadJesus on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    These puns have left me a Baroquen man.

Lemming on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Please tell me this has some form of co-op mode.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • KurrelKurrel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you guys don't quit this pun faggotry, I'm going to Telemann to lock this.

Kurrel on
    camo_sig.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I am both confused and excited for this game.

I totally want to buy this when it comes out.

To bad I'm baroque though.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nevermind.
    The only thing worse then a bad pun is repeating a bad pun.

see317 on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Does this have real-time or turn based combat?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Looks cool. Thank fucking god No More Heroes came out a month early and Brawl is a month late.

JJ on
  • Baka_ShadeBaka_Shade Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm a bit uneasy about the way the characters appear to move...it seems rather stunted.

Aesthetically, though, the game looks right up my alley. I love the vibe Atlus games have, not to mention the fact that so many are on PS2. (I have no plans to get a next-gen system for a while...I've had to negotiate with my little brother to procure the use of his 360 for Operation Darkness...XD)

Baka_Shade on
    kanpilgrimsigfinal2.png
    edited January 2008
    see317 wrote: »
    Nevermind.

Yeah, sometimes this forum is like listening to a Baroquen record.
    You brought this on yourself.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Boo get off the stage

Crashmo wrote: »
    Nevermind.

You Kent* repeat a pun like that again.

William Kent baroque architect

BlueDestiny on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Boo get off the stage

Crashmo wrote: »
    Nevermind.

You Kent* repeat a pun like that again.

William Kent baroque architect
    No, it's my fault.
    I repeated the baroque record pun on the last page, then I edited it out once I realized it had already been used.
    Now I know it's bad, and I should feel bad. It baroque my heart when I realized.

I just rehashed the same joke that's been used multiple times on every page in this thread.
    Is this what it feels like to be Tim Buckley?

see317 on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Guys, guys

Baroque...

Wait, shit.

So, when I saw this JRPG includes angels and you can wear angel wings, I took two drinks. If I find out one of the sets includes both a black wing and a white one, I'll take another drink.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited January 2008
    Bah.

Single-player only it looks like. :x

Honestly, dungeon crawlers don't have to be that good for me to enjoy them co-op, but the flaws will really stand out if it sucks in single-player.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I figured I'd give this a chance since the people responsible have a better-than-average track record. Fucking Gamestop doesn't even have it in their in-store system for the PS2. I don't usually preorder, unless it's an Atlus game, but now Gamestop doesn't even want to let me do that. I'll have to get it online, I guess (for some reason it is on their web store, just not in the B+Ms. What a Baroquen system).

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Game does look interesting. Though, it being an Atlas game, I'm willing to be that the death and status spells are completely baroquen.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is probably the worst game I've played in the last few years.

ze swift class on
    edited January 2008
    Actually, now that I've watched some gameplay, I think I'll stay away.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Did someone bring up the fact that his weapon looks like a keyblade.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Besides it's pronounced bah-rock.

Iriah on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is probably the worst game I've played in the last few years.

you've played it?

care to expand on your comment and say why?

Xaquin on
    edited January 2008
    Page- wrote: »

Just curious, but what don't you like about it?

Xaquin on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »

Just curious, but what don't you like about it?

Well the mechanics are just so baroquen it's unbearable.

Khavall on
    edited January 2008
    heh.

seriously though?

Xaquin on
    edited January 2008
    Watched some gameplay, and what I see is: Generic Atlus-style emo kid walks clunkily up to round monsters, does a simple three-hit combo with something that looks like a cross between a butter knife and a miniature keyblade. Turns around and slowly does the same combo on another round monster, then proceeds to do this to various round monsters in slightly different rooms for 3 or 4 minutes. The fact that through the whole gameplay video he almost does nothing but the same 3 hit combo against a bunch of monsters that look kinda-samey was a real turn-off.

Also, he's carrying this huge cannon on his back, which looks like fun, but he only whips it out once, and when he does it's slow and awkward.

I enjoy dungeon crawlers, and I don't mind if a game is a little old-school, but this game looks like they aren't even trying.

Page- on
    stream
    edited January 2008
    Watched some gameplay, and what I see is: Generic Atlus-style emo kid walks clunkily up to round monsters, does a simple three-hit combo with something that looks like a cross between a butter knife and a miniature keyblade. Turns around and slowly does the same combo on another round monster, then proceeds to do this to various round monsters in slightly different rooms for 3 or 4 minutes. The fact that through the whole gameplay video he almost does nothing but the same 3 hit combo against a bunch of monsters that look kinda-samey was a real turn-off.

Also, he's carrying this huge cannon on his back, which looks like fun, but he only whips it out once, and when he does it's slow and awkward.

I enjoy dungeon crawlers, and I don't mind if a game is a little old-school, but this game looks like they aren't even trying.

=/

hmmmm

Maybe I'll rent it first.

I've never played any Atlus games (unfortunatly), but I'd always heard of them in high regard.

Xaquin on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    [sarcasm]
    I know what you mean. I mean, one time I downloaded this demo for a game called 'Diablo II'. What a piece of shit - I ran around for three minutes and clicked 'attack', its boring and has no depth at all. They aren't even trying.
    [/sarcasm]

Seriously, welcome to the first few levels/hours/whatever of every dungeon crawling action RPG EVER, where you have almost no skills and don't have enough mana to actually use them anyway. I would be willing to make a cock-eating bet that he gets an attack more advanced than slash/slash/slash by the time you've played an hour of the game, if cock-eating bets weren't stupid.

JihadJesus on
    edited January 2008
    Herm. You may have had a point, except that a gameplay video is supposed to show off all the neat things you can do in the game. It wasn't just a straight run of the first floor of a dungeon. It was various segments, in different parts of the dungeon, different level characters, different enemies. They did show off a few spells, but they didn't look that interesting.

I'll keep watching the game, but it's not a must-buy at this point. Maybe a rent.

Page- on
    stream
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hi.

So does anyone have any updates about this game? It's been a while and I need to know more.

Will the Wii version be a dumb waggle fest? I wonder if the PS2 version will be the way to go. Supposed to come out in about a week, no?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Due in a week and a half, April 8.

IIRC Baroque for PS1/Saturn was Sting's first game, preceding the original WonderSwan Color version of Riviera. Atlus is only publishing it over here. I'm picking it up because I loved Riviera and Yggdra Union, but I expect that Baroque is probably idiosyncratic and unpolished in a lot of ways, not a game that would be recommendable to all RPG/dungeoncrawler fans.

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Agh! This and Mario Kart Wii in the same month! Mah' wallet! :(

Arminas on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    cjeris wrote: »

IIRC Baroque for PS1/Saturn was Sting's first game, preceding the original WonderSwan Color version of Riviera. Atlus is only publishing it over here. I'm picking it up because I loved Riviera and Yggdra Union, but I expect that Baroque is probably idiosyncratic and unpolished in a lot of ways, not a game that would be recommendable to all RPG/dungeoncrawler fans.

Nah, their first game was Treasure Hunter G for the Super Famicom.

Sheep on
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sleep wrote: »
    cjeris wrote: »

Nah, their first game was Treasure Hunter G for the Super Famicom.

And let me tell you, it's one of the weirdest games I've ever played.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So this is out today, should I get the Wii or the PS2 version? Is there a major difference between the two?

KiTA on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One has waggle.

(sorry, someone had to say it.)

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • LordGekLordGek Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sorry if it has already been covered but I believe this is a real-time roguelike, sort of akin to Diablo/Hellgate, and not EVEN TRYING to be some TRUE action RPG like Devil May Cry. So while it is not turn-based, whether you hit or miss will be based more on statistics than the player's physical dexterity.

If one looks at this AS an Action RPG, as I think it is stupidly marketed and clearly what the folk at Nintendo Power thought they were getting into, IT FAILS MISERABLY! Clunky unresponsive controls and all of TWO different attacks possible (that are based on whatever weapon is currently wielded) but, think about it, how would Diablo 2 fair if judged by the same standards? Heck, it only has one type of attack per weapon, how pathetic!

LordGek on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wait... So is it a good game or not? :P

urahonky on