As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tekken and Other Fighting Games That Aren't Tekken, I Guess (digital karate simulations)

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Based on my experience fighting the computer, I expected I was gonna get clowned on by actual players. But, I know that the only way to actually train is against people, not computers, so I plugged in my ethernet cable and had a go

And you know what I discovered? The most important difference between computers and players, especially low-level players, is that players panic. If you drop a wall behind them as they're approaching, sometimes they'll just freeze! And sometimes they'll just sit back and throw fireballs, which builds up Shadow Meter faster for me than it does for them! And then by the time I get close enough for them to get nervous (but still throwing fireballs because their whole gameplan appears to be fireballs + shadow fireballs, they got Jago to level 40-something this way), their next fireball is met with a Shadow Ruiner, which, well, there's a wall behind them so that's a free 30%

I lost my first two matches because I was still getting my sea legs, but I won my next three! 60% so far isn't bad for my first time going online, especially given that I was fighting people whose player levels were in the teens and twenties. The last one was actually a really clutch comeback, too, against a Mira who kept using Medium linkers until I broke them too much, and then kept using Light linkers—the chief thing is I kept her from rebuilding her health, which let me bully her into a corner with Aganos's instinct and win out with a jab in spite of the fact that I spent the whole stock at almost no health

Fighting games: they're all right

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    figured out why sheeva stomps were fucking me up so bad

I was not aware she could actually delay it and that one of her variations can opt to land in front or behind

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I keep kicking Claw's butt at mortal kombat

Mostly because my reflexes are better and they keep focusing on trying to get good combos off and stuff instead of watching what I'm doing, or trying to jab me out my sweeps and missing the timing.

Like yeah sometimes claw gets the impressive hit string off but I'll be sitting there doing the basic loop of jump kick sweep throw and spicing it up with an occasional special move and claw can't keep up most of the time. It's starting to feel bad.

Though I imagine when they finally start thinking on their feet more and less hard about frame data it'll be like taking the training weights off.

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Based on my experience fighting the computer, I expected I was gonna get clowned on by actual players. But, I know that the only way to actually train is against people, not computers, so I plugged in my ethernet cable and had a go

And you know what I discovered? The most important difference between computers and players, especially low-level players, is that players panic. If you drop a wall behind them as they're approaching, sometimes they'll just freeze! And sometimes they'll just sit back and throw fireballs, which builds up Shadow Meter faster for me than it does for them! And then by the time I get close enough for them to get nervous (but still throwing fireballs because their whole gameplan appears to be fireballs + shadow fireballs, they got Jago to level 40-something this way), their next fireball is met with a Shadow Ruiner, which, well, there's a wall behind them so that's a free 30%

I lost my first two matches because I was still getting my sea legs, but I won my next three! 60% so far isn't bad for my first time going online, especially given that I was fighting people whose player levels were in the teens and twenties. The last one was actually a really clutch comeback, too, against a Mira who kept using Medium linkers until I broke them too much, and then kept using Light linkers—the chief thing is I kept her from rebuilding her health, which let me bully her into a corner with Aganos's instinct and win out with a jab in spite of the fact that I spent the whole stock at almost no health

Fighting games: they're all right

This post makes me so GD happy.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    Remind me never to mess with arcade parts ever again. My fingers are too meaty to mess with those button connectors.

• Options
    Fell off for a couple days, then decided to get back on and see how it went

Overall, not too bad! Did some exhibition matches and won three in a row, then decided "You know what? I'm half done with my qualifiers, I might as well finish out my bronze ranking qualification"

And I will not lie, I lost the next four matches. One or two of them I lost soundly, because I wasn't sure how to respond to pressure and I did the fool thing of using Shadow Ruin when I should have used Shadow Payload Assault on a blocking Fulgore. That was a last-blow situation, and considering the guy was many ranks higher than me I don't feel too bad about it. In fact, I feel pretty good?

That last match, though. That last Cinder.

See I don't know anything about fighting Cinder. I guess he can attach bombs to you, and just blow them up whenever he feels like it? That's pretty strong. Seems good for setting up combos. And he's really good at pressuring Aganos when Aganos hasn't got no armor—lots of characters are, but this guy was tearing me up. He liked to stay in the air, and he keeps sticking these bombs to me, and I ain't got a good sense of Aganos's anti-air game (mostly I can stuff them out with a neutral jump medium punch, that thing has RANGE, but it feels like I need more specific answers). I'm sticking to him as best I can, but he feels my weakness in the air and he's pressing that button, and I am down to the last 30% of my second lifebar by the time he's on the last 10% of his first. He gets the magic pixel on that first lifebar because I'm dropping combos because, fuckin', of course I am, I'm mashing my ass off on these things and don't have the timing down and sometimes I mash out the wrong ender even, and he's got me right on the edge of "DANGER" when he spaces wrong and I flick him with Aganos's standing jab

80% health deficit, full shadow meter—and, as he's getting up, I get an idea

I use Pulverizer, which is one of Aganos's meaty attacks, to start off—not because it's a combo starter (I would have taken it if it'd landed, though) but because it's a good pressure tool. He jumps backwards, because he's been starting a lot of his stuff by jumping backwards, and I drop that Shadow Payload Assault. He tries to close in and finish it just in time to get hit by the stone-storm. I chunk up twice, drop a wall behind him, and then I'm in on his ass.

He's not ready for the Pulverizer's meaty hitbox on his getup and eats a tier-2 combo finishing in Payload Assault, I'm just ruined with armor now, and I'll be real I don't remember much of how it went for the next four or five seconds. He failed to combo break me as I was mixing up my buttons, and I got a couple of good finishers on him but nothing too drastic. I'm gonna get his ass, I'm gonna knock him through that wall. I armor through one of his starters, the last of my armor, and get a pulverize. Medium linker—

I drop the combo

He immediately uses some scary-looking shadow move

But I've got a shadow Ruiner in my pocket, and Shadow Ruiner doesn't give one shit. They collide, I win out, wall explodes—and this time the magic pixel works in my favor

I went into the Bronze ranking 4-6, but I'm proud of that 4

Killer Instinct: it's good

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Injustice 1 is free on multiple consoles. For some reason it looks like it's Ultimate edition on PC/PS4, but only regular version on Xbox. I guess because they only did a physical version of Ultimate there?

Perrsun on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »

Injustice 1 is free on multiple consoles. For some reason it looks like it's Ultimate edition on PC/PS4, but only regular version on Xbox. I guess because they only did a physical version of Ultimate there?

Injustice 1 got a PS4 and PC re-release as Ultimate Edition so that's the version you're getting there. Injustice 1 wasn't ported to Xbox One so you're getting the 360 base game.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

CPT online is... well it's what you might have expected

the complaints about stage lag seem a little suspect, there seem to be a lot of conjecture about what causes it with little to no supporting evidence

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oiffAVGrdeM

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Keits had some things to say about that recently on Twitter. The thread is worth a read:

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    that is mdz_jimmy... who has been wrong about a lot of things...

BEFORE the whatever-they-did netcode update over the summer, certain stages absolutely made lag worse. it's not even debatable.

the pro community seems to believe that even if you set aside online lag, there are some stages, even completely offline local versus mode, that drop frames

there's just no reason to ban the stage. it's a scrubquotes move by capcom. if they want people to use their nice looking stages, they should make a better game

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular

Overall, not too bad! Did some exhibition matches and won three in a row, then decided "You know what? I'm half done with my qualifiers, I might as well finish out my bronze ranking qualification"

And I will not lie, I lost the next four matches. One or two of them I lost soundly, because I wasn't sure how to respond to pressure and I did the fool thing of using Shadow Ruin when I should have used Shadow Payload Assault on a blocking Fulgore. That was a last-blow situation, and considering the guy was many ranks higher than me I don't feel too bad about it. In fact, I feel pretty good?

See I don't know anything about fighting Cinder. I guess he can attach bombs to you, and just blow them up whenever he feels like it? That's pretty strong. Seems good for setting up combos. And he's really good at pressuring Aganos when Aganos hasn't got no armor—lots of characters are, but this guy was tearing me up. He liked to stay in the air, and he keeps sticking these bombs to me, and I ain't got a good sense of Aganos's anti-air game (mostly I can stuff them out with a neutral jump medium punch, that thing has RANGE, but it feels like I need more specific answers). I'm sticking to him as best I can, but he feels my weakness in the air and he's pressing that button, and I am down to the last 30% of my second lifebar by the time he's on the last 10% of his first. He gets the magic pixel on that first lifebar because I'm dropping combos because, fuckin', of course I am, I'm mashing my ass off on these things and don't have the timing down and sometimes I mash out the wrong ender even, and he's got me right on the edge of "DANGER" when he spaces wrong and I flick him with Aganos's standing jab

I use Pulverizer, which is one of Aganos's meaty attacks, to start off—not because it's a combo starter (I would have taken it if it'd landed, though) but because it's a good pressure tool. He jumps backwards, because he's been starting a lot of his stuff by jumping backwards, and I drop that Shadow Payload Assault. He tries to close in and finish it just in time to get hit by the stone-storm. I chunk up twice, drop a wall behind him, and then I'm in on his ass.

He's not ready for the Pulverizer's meaty hitbox on his getup and eats a tier-2 combo finishing in Payload Assault, I'm just ruined with armor now, and I'll be real I don't remember much of how it went for the next four or five seconds. He failed to combo break me as I was mixing up my buttons, and I got a couple of good finishers on him but nothing too drastic. I'm gonna get his ass, I'm gonna knock him through that wall. I armor through one of his starters, the last of my armor, and get a pulverize. Medium linker—

I drop the combo

But I've got a shadow Ruiner in my pocket, and Shadow Ruiner doesn't give one shit. They collide, I win out, wall explodes—and this time the magic pixel works in my favor

(Looks at broken arcade stick)

(Looks at prices of Xbox One sticks)

God damnit.

• Options
    I'm using a Dualshock 4, which is a gamepad that was forged in a fire cursed by God, so I don't think you need a stick to have fun in KI

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I can slowly feel the pieces coming together as I play RAAM in survival. I'm learning when to counter and how to combo effectively
    Even start using the splat enders to restart the pressure. Then I play an online match and it is like

My teeth

Where did all my teeth go

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Jasconius wrote: »
    that is mdz_jimmy... who has been wrong about a lot of things...

BEFORE the whatever-they-did netcode update over the summer, certain stages absolutely made lag worse. it's not even debatable.

the pro community seems to believe that even if you set aside online lag, there are some stages, even completely offline local versus mode, that drop frames

there's just no reason to ban the stage. it's a scrubquotes move by capcom. if they want people to use their nice looking stages, they should make a better game

That's just factually not true. SF4 had "nice" stages and literally every top 8 for years was training stage. Also, the blocks and mini-blocks help with spacing. Back when SFV was initially doing the promo run, "NO MORE TRAINING STAGE" was a thing that combofiend said to...mike ross???? i think? and Mike Ross was like WOW that's great, no more fucking training stage. Funnily enough that exchange ended with "now it's called THE GRID" (lol). Like I'm not going to say banning training stage is a good move for online, obviously it was dumb. But the rule existed in CPT because in SF4 literally every match ever was played on training stage and training stage factually gives an advantage in spacing. That's why they banned it in the first place, and carried that ban into SFV.

Having said that, if you have to play online, CPT guys shoulda been like "yeah just for online we'll relax this rule". It's dumb they didn't.

But also who knows what the fuck is going with MetroM. Guy's in Maryland, if he can't connect to NY properly across multiple connections, I sincerely doubt it's the game. Not blaming him or saying he was lag switching, I'm just saying that the problem is probably beyond the game.

re: stage selection
    Jasc and I literally tested this around the time of the netcode patch. It absolutely makes a difference. I mean even if you just think about it logically/algorithmically, a console/pc that drops frames (or a connection that drops packets) is OF COURSE going to cause rollback/stuttering on the other computer, because the other computer is now ahead. Like how could it possibly not work that way? If you keep them locked, then the faster player has to slow down (ie stutter). If you don't keep them locked, then every move on the faster computer is displaying "in the future" so every move by the other player is going to rollback.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    I'm using a Dualshock 4, which is a gamepad that was forged in a fire cursed by God, so I don't think you need a stick to have fun in KI

It's a preference/excuse. I used a stick for years and when it broke (and when I broke my other one trying to Frankenstein one) I took at as a sign from the fighting game gods that I was indeed too old for this shit. But then I watched the KI documentary and ugh, I want to play. I want to command loop fools with my Thunder.

• Options
    Wait... which part of what I said is not true??

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Wait... which part of what I said is not true??

If the game runs right or is made better or whatever, then players won't only play training stage. They will always only play training stage unless it's removed as an option.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think its simple the stage rule is fine for offline but shouldn't be a thing for online.

I mean online tournaments shouldn't be a thing with that netcode but you know.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I think its simple the stage rule is fine for offline but shouldn't be a thing for online.

I mean online tournaments shouldn't be a thing with that netcode but you know.

Yes, I agree, that's also what I said.

Also I don't even think it's a netcode thing though obviously the bad netcode doesn't help. Fundamentally online fighting games are just whack, especially in a tournament setting. How do you know who is using wifi? How stable their connection is? If their pc/ps4 isn't shitting the bed? If they're actually geographically in the region? If their ISP is trash or just has bad routing to specific areas/players? And that's not even getting into lagswitching and other assorted BS.

But also, short of canceling CPT straight out which they're obviously not going to do, what else can Capcom do? So yeah, it's a shit situation, that's all. Obviously SFV's netcode deserves to be shit on at every opportunity and I will gladly do so, but I dislike the glee with which people are shittalking it without any recognition (or worse, deliberate doublethink) of the difficulties of online tournaments (and the situation in general) and how badly basically every modern game would do under the same circumstances.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

It's a preference/excuse. I used a stick for years and when it broke (and when I broke my other one trying to Frankenstein one) I took at as a sign from the fighting game gods that I was indeed too old for this shit. But then I watched the KI documentary and ugh, I want to play. I want to command loop fools with my Thunder.

If you want to troubleshoot your broken stick instead of buying an entirely new one, there are plenty of people here who have built their own who would be happy to help.

On the other hand, I'm considering building *another* controller that I don't need, so I get the impulse to buy a shiny new thing

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    The next fighting game should make a feature where the fighters themselves only see the training stage but spectators are shown the fight on the stage of the presenter's choosing, independent of the two fighters.

• Options
    The next fighting game should make a feature where the fighters themselves only see the training stage but spectators are shown the fight on the stage of the presenter's choosing, independent of the two fighters.

Hmm, a presentation mode isn't a bad idea. Let them pick the costumes too, so we never have to see carnival Blanka again

• Options
    they even have a presentation mode in WC3 reforged, which is famous for being one of the worst games of the past year with almost no dev support!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

I drop the combo

(Looks at broken arcade stick)

(Looks at prices of Xbox One sticks)

God damnit.

If you build your own you can stick a universal board in it.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    What about the board is broken?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Claw has been practicing so much but I still keep winning

I feel kinda bad.

I feel like claw just isn't good at the fundemetal stuff like when to jumpkick uppercut sweep or throw and how to counter those things.

Often times I'll get like 3 sweeps in a row before claw will block low at all.

People have told them to not block and instead always try to land a counter hit which seems like good advice I suppose except when you can't land those counter hits and punishes reliabily. It becomes a liability.

Claw plays frost and I've been mainly sub zero though sometimes kabal.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Paladin wrote: »

I had a universal Brooks board in it and it started double registering all down inputs. Swapped out the whole stick with a PS4 stick and it was still doing it. Then i must have screwed something up putting it back in the PS4 stick...

Mechanical things are not my wheelhouse.

Edit: joystick was swapped.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Huh, didn't see this one coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzIoB1muUxo

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Huh. Alright.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know if they would have fixed the parry system to not overly favor the defender For Honor would have been a pretty good fighter.

I mean it is but it could have been better.

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »

I had a universal Brooks board in it and it started double registering all down inputs. Swapped out the whole stick with a PS4 stick and it was still doing it. Then i must have screwed something up putting it back in the PS4 stick...

Mechanical things are not my wheelhouse.

Edit: joystick was swapped.
    One cause of double inputs is when a switch stops responding in the middle and then resumes. The board assumes it's a new input.

You might want to check the connections on the board side. When the ground wire is faulty or not completely connected, you can get buttons that stop responding or respond intermittently.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Did you solder the leads or use quick disconnects? Have you tried replacing the wiring? How confident are you that things are grounded correctly? What's Brooks service policy?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    for honor died with mass unblockables

it was so pristine and beautiful when you could just play defense and then throw someone into a spike pit when they frustrated

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Uriel wrote: »

I feel kinda bad.

I feel like claw just isn't good at the fundemetal stuff like when to jumpkick uppercut sweep or throw and how to counter those things.

People have told them to not block and instead always try to land a counter hit which seems like good advice I suppose except when you can't land those counter hits and punishes reliabily. It becomes a liability.

I'm bad at fighting games and have no mortal kombat experience but "never block only try to counterhit" sounds like run before you can crawl advice to me that would lead to button mashing

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

I feel kinda bad.

I'm bad at fighting games and have no mortal kombat experience but "never block only try to counterhit" sounds like run before you can crawl advice to me that would lead to button mashing

Kinda yeah. Claw's focusing so much on trying to get hit strings in and leaning on frame data type stuff I don't even understand to justify going for really risky moves way too often.

Like claw will shoot frosts snowball things but my ice ball goes through that and freezes them. Or I can duck or slide under the first two, or just block them. Ultimately it makes zoning me really hard.

Often though the trouble they are having is when I'm already close in though. I really shouldn't be able to alternate sweeps and jumpkicks so reliably.

Like I don't even know any of sub zero's combos myself, I'm usually winning off of specials and throws mostly.

• Options
    edited June 2020

I feel kinda bad.

Blocking is a huge part of defense across all 2D fighters, and playing defense is an incredibly important skill. I'm not a MK head but fundamentally, across basically all fighting games, that's bad advice because that assumes you can actually counterhit them and in the vast majority of situations that is factually not true. That's why it's important to learn frame data so you know when you can mash out and when you can't, and also what your options are for "stealing a turn". If you block a move that's +oB (on block), chances are, any button you hit will lose to theirs (frame data will let you know specific numbers). Obviously you can use an invincible move and steal a turn, but straight button-to-button, of course the person who gets to start theirs earlier is going to win. Even without straight up looking at and memorizing frame data, learning the situations (ie: i can hit a button here, i cannot hit one here) is a huge part of learning the game.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    That all sounds like stuff claw's been saying, like stuff they've gotten from reading guides and having people from Twitter do coaching stuff.

And I'm like that's great but you gotta be able to feel some of this stuff out before you can apply any of it. I'd probably get more out of it myself if I had the patience to dive into it myself but like...

I don't know what moves are safe on block or not really, but I can feel out when it's safe for me to attack in the opponents string after some practice and which moves are fastest to use in those situations or otherwise put me into a decent position.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    The biggest mindfuck in fighting games is the massive dip in results when you start learning to play correctly and optimally instead of just wilding out.

This discussion has been closed.