As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SE++ Minecraft: We're Still Here!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I was going to try that Terraforged mod out but it turns out I am dumb and can't figure out how to install Forge. I guess I need to install Java first before I can run the Forge installer? Though I'd have thought Java was already installed since Minecraft is up and running, but I can't find Java anywhere on my PC. I ended up going to bed after fiddling with it, but I'll try installing Java tonight and see if I get anywhere. :rotate:

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    Either me or whoever wants to, I will host if if the community decides on a map.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I'm down for whatever! I'm pretty busy with work right now so I cant run a community poll, but the text should be somewhere in this thread if someone wants to make a few posts and ping everyone.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Has anyone used apex hosting for a server? My friend has the server hosted through them and it is working totally fine but we are a bunch of incompetent 5 year olds and can't figure out how to properly add more mods to the server, even with the guides apex hosting provides.

The set of mods we have were setup by apex for like a start up thing.

We need more mods though, I setup a void miner and got to tier 4 and the refined storage computer has a crazy amount of space but I didn't realize that the server stays active when we aren't on so we have disgusting amounts of materials and nothing to build because the mods we chose are kind of basic. Got 3k blocks of iron that we might just make a castle with.

I'm also having trouble keeping everything powered, I have a fuck ton of windmills at the highest point they can be built powering my factory with the ore quadruple setup, some other windmills at a decently high point and advanced solar panels powering the main base and computer and it is never enough. Same with getting the gases for the quadruple setup, the electrolytic separator and the infuser don't produce enough fast enough to make the system run smoothly and I can't find anything about fixing the problem. Do I need to make even more of them to pump into them?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    What map size do people want

Last map was 8k from side to side and that seems like overkill

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    200 x 200. No, that's not a typo. Let's BORG it up!

• Options
    Okay, I must be the dumbest person alive because I cannot figure out how to get Java to open the .jar installer file for Forge. When I double click the installer a little box flashes on screen and disappears and then nothing happens. I set Java.exe to run as an admin and same thing, only it asks for confirmation when I try to open the file. Could anybody lend me some help please?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    The big map from last time was pretty good but as long as it's not too small I'm good.

• Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    Okay, I must be the dumbest person alive because I cannot figure out how to get Java to open the .jar installer file for Forge. When I double click the installer a little box flashes on screen and disappears and then nothing happens. I set Java.exe to run as an admin and same thing, only it asks for confirmation when I try to open the file. Could anybody lend me some help please?

I could just send you the custom twitch profile I got for making these maps

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

I could just send you the custom twitch profile I got for making these maps

What does Twitch have to do with Java? (not being rude, I honestly don't know what you're talking about)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Twitch launcher has minecraft modding built in baseline now. its stupid easy

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Ooooooh, I see. Thanks, but I think I just want to get my shit to actually work right.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Yeah just boot up the twitch launcher, create a custom profile, and add terracraft to it. Itll get everything else you need

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    A big map isn't a problem if we have a road network or accessible Elytria for folks.

One suggestion I have is to have Elytria available from the shop at the beginning of the map for a reasonable price, rather than something only a few people get to have once the map winds down. Keep shulker boxes as the prize for The End, but let everyone, even the most causal player, have a shot at Elytria.

Either way I'll end up getting one, I know that. But its so much fun and there are so few of them that its a real shame only a few powergamers end up with them most maps.

Enc on
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Commonplace elytra sounds like a dream. I don't know if I'd make it The Minecraft Standard but it's certainly a version of the game that I want to play. :P

• Options
    Most materials can be grinded for, Elytria are one of the few that can't and make such a difference in the game. If we have a very big map, and Elytria, it would really show off those new vistas with the map generator.

• Options
    I haven't ever had an Elytra, even in creative mode. Hell, I haven't even killed the ender dragon in creative lol

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Elytra... extremely useful, yet too precious to USE. What if there were another way...? :P

• Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    I think I like it. Although I always feel like people want to start new maps like 5% into the lifetime of the old map, maybe the thing to do is just lean into it and make that 5% as fun as possible.

It might be cool, actually, to have spawn itself be on a floating island in the center of the map. Nothing fancy - not sky islands style where someone has to put 100 hours into building spawn for everyone. More just gen a standard map with all the biomes we want, and then manually build a 100 wide or so floating island above the map center with a few broken pillars and a stockhold from ancient civilization - chests containing about a hundred elytra.

My rationale is that now people can find cool places to build, OR they could try to build something cool on that floating island, OR they could team up and build more floating islands, OR they could just fly around on elytra all day.

(If they aren't enchanted maybe we start with like 150 -- enough for people to die a bunch at first, then build up enchants and mending and such, but still have them be a resource that could eventually need to be replenished in theory in The End. I personally looted about 10 wings in the last end so ~100-150 as a starting point seems reasonable.)

Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    We have a shop mod, it would work better if there were a trade system so there could be infinite to prevent potential mass looting.

Maybe something like 1diamond->1elytra. Still have to work to get that first one, but cheap enough that everyone can reasonably buy them and if you lose yours in lava its recoverable, but not trivial.

Also makes fighting skybats worth it for once.

Enc on
  • Options
    Ok so what's the plan?

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I got a pre-generated map from bluedude. I will deploy that sometime this week on 1.15.2. Once papermc + the few plugins we use work on 1.16, I will update the server to that. Does 8k x 8k work for borders or is that too large?

As for the current maps, I have another server instance stood up that I was planning on setting up an "SE++ server museum" that all of our retired maps could be hosted on, so those 2 maps will be moved there along with all the previous maps. Was thinking of having them available for people to fly around in either creative or spectator. Still need to convert all the worlds over to the latest version so it's still a WIP.

(This is all up for discussion if anyone feels strongly about any of it)

Aeyther on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    That all sounds great to me.

EDIT: well actually, the plan is still be using the old version for awhile? I am fine with that as long as we reset the Nether once we update

Dr. Flamingo on
  • Options
    You can make custom recipes pretty easily. A elytra one would be nice

Would also love to make invisible item frames available because they allow awesome build ideas

The nether is a separate file and should be easy to just delete when we are ready

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Aeyther wrote: »
    I got a pre-generated map from bluedude. I will deploy that sometime this week on 1.15.2. Once papermc + the few plugins we use work on 1.16, I will update the server to that. Does 8k x 8k work for borders or is that too large?

As for the current maps, I have another server instance stood up that I was planning on setting up an "SE++ server museum" that all of our retired maps could be hosted on, so those 2 maps will be moved there along with all the previous maps. Was thinking of having them available for people to fly around in either creative or spectator. Still need to convert all the worlds over to the latest version so it's still a WIP.

Lighting the beacons of Minecraft Tirith
    @nuka
    @webguy20 (assuming he ever gets his account back)
    @WuShock
    @Gvzbgul
    @Gennenalyse Rueben
    @Aeyther
    @Bluedude152
    @Defster
    @CaptGigglesworth
    @Devlin_Dragonus
    @Dr. Flamingo
    @apricotmuffins
    @Skeith
    @Radiation
    @Mirro
    @PassionateLovie
    @sarukun
    @Vegemyte
    @Twixxo
    @Mayabird
    @mrpaku
    @Lucedes
    @BahamutZERO
    @Darmak
    @Decomposey
    @Empirical
    @chosenofsotek
    @grey
    @spono
    @Hofsta
    @Tef
    @Gumpy
    @discrider
    @Garick
    @eldercore
    @sir penguin
    @JpsCrazy
    @Cathode Ray Tube
    @mccart
    @chrishallett83
    @Delzhand
    @cB557
    @Jakarrd
    @Duke 2.0
    @Ginger Mijango
    @Vrtra Theory
    @Mirro
    @Mortal Sky
    @Glitterkitten

• Options
    Do we need need need those plugins right off the bat

I dont think we will need anything fancy for awhile

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    The nether will be either disabled initially or just wiped once we upgrade to 1.16.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    FYI the @'s to people with spaces in their names didn't fire off there, have to put their names in quotes (also won't fire off in an edited post, only a new post)

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Would people complain if we dont have dynamap initially if it means 1.16 sooner

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    1.16 is more important to me than dynmap, but only just.

Dr. Flamingo on
  • Options
    I like Dynamap, but don't hold things up for me. I'm flexible.

• Options
    it's kind of fun having to do pathfinding and trailmaking without dynamap, it can get tedious but a little bit of having to do it the hard way can be a nice change of pace

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Waystones will at least make traversal easier when we can make waypoints

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Dynamap would be fine but not necessary since it just shows you the explored map and who all is on and where. We could run without it easily. Building around spawn is great but yeah, having elytra to get around the longer distances would be awesome. I never had one on the last map.

I’ll only be on intermittently during weekends, @Vrtra Theory it’d be fun to do dual builds again.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Aeyther wrote: »

Lighting the beacons of Minecraft Tirith

@Gennenalyse Rueben
    @Dr. Flamingo
    @Sir Penguin
    @Cathode Ray Tube
    @Duke 2.0
    @Ginger Mijango
    @Vrtra Theory
    @Mortal Sky

that should be everyone who didn't get the initial notification

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    2020-06-20_21.41.10.png?width=717&height=551

Might try remaking my scarecrow from the modded server I was on

That or a small Kowloon Walled City type build

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Honestly not having Dynmap for the beginning of a server's lifetime is probably the ideal play curve to me? Like the first few weeks are exploring, then once the world is more established, we have a map.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Sorry team I’m just too busy with work and life to justify gaming at the moment!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    what's the current server IP?
    e: ah nevermind same one, it was just down for a minute I guess
    e2: no wait this is the previous map

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif