As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    good lord, in what world does a Winston complaint about no peel? peeling is your job

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I did okay tonight. Like 6 and 1 on Zarya.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    people need to stop playing competitive. we're four years in and the only people left are husks and veterans and ghouls.

Tanking in QP is great, because everyone is far more relaxed, and the queue is still two minutes, and I can have an enjoyable time.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I have ongoing boundless respect for tanks who continue to main tank, because I've rarely had any tank experiences (that weren't dive tank) which were satisfying, or didn't involve me getting absolutely deleted

After an extremely long hiatus from actually playing the game I have started playing it again but internalizing it more I think the main reason I quit is that I poured an insane amount of my life into improving at a character, mildly climbed up in the ranks feeling like the game validated my effort, then added a hard counter with a 10-1 matchup that guaranteed I was going to need to stop playing that character so I would need to pour the same amount of my life into being proficient at alternatives instead

so I quit because feeling completely and utterly powerless after all that effort was extremely upsetting

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone in this thread has fun playing Competitive. Come play QP with us, it's fun as long as you can put aside the instinct to micromanage what your team is doing. I play main tank and it's mostly fine. There's no meta and hardly anybody throws.

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Games with longer lives (MOBAs especially) have taught us that giving too much of a fuck over something that you are not entirely in control of will cause you to lose your mind.

I play a hyper aggressive barrier tank or zarya. I play peel on high platform games. I keep my healers alive. I call out low enemies. The rest is in the hands of a God who does not listen to my pleas.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    good lord, in what world does a Winston complaint about no peel? peeling is your job

Without checking the replay, he was against a Reaper and Echo who seemed like they were up in his ass, but he was also constantly overextended and they were self-staggering by not pushing with their team after killing him. I imagine he wanted someone to switch to like McCree and kill the Reaper before it killed him, but it was like 80-0 on the point cap when he left, so who the fuck even knows.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    lololololol this is their experiment card this week, 8/10 troll effort:
    We’ve been hearing feedback about Brigitte that she feels too powerful overall. We’d like to try some changes intended to bring Brigitte’s balance more in-line with other supports. This test will be focused on a key change to her Repair Pack that no longer grants additional armor when healing full health targets. Additionally, we’re testing some updates to her Barrier Shield that enable it to block more damage upfront but with more downtime if it gets destroyed.

We’ll also be testing some changes to a few other heroes during this phase of the experimental card being live:

-We want D.Va’s gameplay to feel fluid and agile. We’re testing a few changes to her abilities that should allow for quicker reactions when using her guns and Defense Matrix.
    -We recently made some updates to Ashe’s gun (The Viper) to increase the power-level of her Primary and Secondary fire. We like how The Viper is currently playing, but Ashe is a bit too powerful overall. We’re testing a change to increase the cooldown on her Dynamite to decrease her area-of-effect damage while keeping her single-target damage intact.
    -In the Anniversary patch, we made some updates to Junkrat that unintentionally nerfed his ability to double jump with Concussion Mine. We’re trying out two quality-of-life changes here that should fix the double jump tech as well as how soon you can regain character control after using RIP-Tire.

HERO UPDATES (ONLY IN EXPERIMENTAL)

Ashe
    Dynamite
    Cooldown increased from 10 to 12 seconds

Brigitte
    Repair Pack
    No longer grants an additional armor health pool when healing full health targets

Barrier Shield
    Maximum health increased from 200 to 250
    Regeneration rate decreased from 100 to 85 health per second
    Cooldown when destroyed increased from 3 to 5 seconds

D.Va
    Fusion Cannons
    Movement penalty reduced from 50 to 40%
    Defense Matrix
    Cooldown reduced from 1.5 to 1 second

Micro Missiles
    Activation delay reduced from 0.5 to 0.25 seconds

Junkrat
    Concussion Mine
    Trigger delay reduced from 0.156 to 0.1 seconds

RIP-Tire
    Time to take control of Junkrat post detonation has been reduced from 1.5 to 0.9 seconds

That kills Bridget flat out. The simplest thing was to just make the health packs at most an extra half second to recharge and to just make the pack's armor bonus turn into a shield bonus, because the problem is the armor buff they did months ago. It's why Reinhardt is so strong. And you also kill one of the few Genji counters when he's now shredding people left and right with his alternate fire.

Ashe is getting a small nerf but they're still letting things like building ult while Bob is out or her ult charge remain. DvA doesn't need a buff because you need to work on Rein and Sigma. The Junkrat change was weird with the double jump being harder because how fast you throw the mine for like the first week, but you got used to it.

I just don't understand what they're seeing or if they really are just listening only to the supposed streamer/pro discord that exists out there.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    that junkrat change is a scuffed way of stopping latency ruining close mine jumps but i think they should change how it works more thoroughly

the delay to take control of him after tyre is nice but would have been fine with it left as it was

obF2Wuw.png
    Wait. So if someone's at 249/250 HP, repair pack overheals, but if they're at 250/250 HP, it doesn't?

And here's a huge massive nerf to her shield too.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    i haven't seen it tested, but i'm assuming that it means it won't give any armor at all, and will only heal you to full normal health at most

i haven't seen it tested, but i'm assuming that it means it won't give any armor at all, and will only heal you to full normal health at most

Yeah, this is correct based on what people are saying on the Reddits. Overheal outside her ult is totally gone. Not sure why they wouldn't just say "Repair pack no longer grants armor, period." They're bound and determined to completely kill her viability, huh?

ztrEPtD.gif
    it seems like the idea is to nerf her ability to enable dive, and buff her a bit as an anti-dive healer (while also punishing her more for letting her shield get destroyed).

which...yeah. not really sure why they feel this is more necessary than any other number of issues. brig seemed like she was in a pretty good place overall.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Brig was a case of getting nerfed because of high level play.

At lower SRs she wasn't a big deal but at higher SRs they would really cheese the overheal to lopside DPS battles.

Also whenever Brig gets nerfed I think about just how OP she was on initial release.

Like she's lost

Instaheal armor packs
    Shield Bash damage
    Self heal decreased
    Rally armor being permanent until damaged and 150.

And she's still great lol.

Dragkonias on
    Is she really used that much though at the higher SRs? Checking the OWL stats from the last three months, and assuming I'm reading their terrible, broken interface right, she's the second LEAST picked healer, ahead of only Mercy. And if that's the argument for why she needs to be nerfed, what about the healers who have basically never NOT been in the GM/OWL meta?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Brig wasn't picked a lot not because she was bad but because

A) A lot of people soured on her because she was nerfed from her OP version and didn't play her just because.

B) A lot of other supports were more meta or overtuned at the time.

Like she was always good it just took people time to realize it.

Dragkonias on
    A character who is both unpopular and overpowered probably needs a redesign. This seems like a pretty huge nerf to be made to Brig at low/mid level play without getting something in return.

I don't really think it is.

Most low level players probably weren't utilizing overheal like that anyway.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Bridget let Echo run hard on delivering burst damage (Something that has been growing more and more in the game) that Rein and Sigma could clean up as they marched forward with Ana EZ healing, and the heal pack on Tracer allowed consistent life in the backfield. Only now Genii replaces Tracer because too powerful and you always want nanoblade.

All they had to do was reduce health pack range and slow down the packs healing to double what it is and you could have kept armor on it then. The shield increase is just pointless because unless you bring shield bash back to real damage or let healing aura trigger with shield bash it’s more a last ditch thing against flankers, otherwise you have to change her primary and whip.

Dragkonias wrote: »
    I don't really think it is.

Most low level players probably weren't utilizing overheal like that anyway.

I feel like it's the opposite. Armoring divers as they engage is a very basic and obvious thing to do while there's not much else to be doing with her. Throwing out packs on CD in a hectic fight is also guaranteed to give SOME benefit with the overheal mechanic. It's removing a tool in her kit from all levels of play, while also upping the penalty for using it poorly/haphazardly, but without also giving her some benefit in trade when using it well.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Low ELO players apparently have no idea how much healing they’re getting. Still waiting for “it’s impossible to outheal bad positioning” as a voice line.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »
    Low ELO players apparently have no idea how much healing they’re getting. Still waiting for “it’s impossible to outheal bad positioning” as a voice line.

I have been told I need to heal more when it turns out I get 30% of damage healing card at the end.

Fencingsax wrote: »

I have been told I need to heal more when it turns out I get 30% of damage healing card at the end.

I know, right? My favorite was when I healed 42% on Moira, but still got complaints. It’s genji spamming I need healing as he dashes solo into the enemy, but the entire team.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

universally true at all ratings

obF2Wuw.png
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    It probably still wouldn't compare to the power of overhealing in general, but if they were to remove overhealing it would be cool to see her armor pack instead *convert* a set value of health to armor so it still actually confers at least some modicum of benefit without dramatically increasing survivability for the flimsier dive characters by a significant percentage

universally true at all ratings

Yet more reason for a voice line :)

Dear main healers: if I’m playing zen, and I’m healing the same as you, then I’m not the healing problem. You are.

Love, the zen with a 60% win rate.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    that is apparently not photoshopped, but there has GOT to be something going on with the camera/angle. it's just ridiculous!

(congrats to them both of course)

I’d love an ult built for your team vs ult built for the enemy team meter for each player. That way people can see who is feeding and it makes the ult economy impact of heroes like Hog more obvious.

I'm not sure how useful that'd actually be. Tanks are obviously going to contribute far more to enemy ult charge just because they have actual health pools, and get healed. Like compare a tank who is fighting tooth and nail for 30 seconds versus a Genji who immediately dies. The problem is the asshat who made it a 6v5, but their contribution to the enemy ult meter was probably minimal, while the tanks are going to be huge meter sinks. You also have characters like Rein who can have their ult generation almost totally shut down if a DVa, or Sigma to a lesser extent, decide that they're going to focus-bully them.

Also, there's the whole thing with no ult is built if it's already full.

ztrEPtD.gif
    yeah no that would be useless at best and in most cases totally counterproductive (and lead to yet more harassment and bullying)

Even if there were a reliable way to skill rank your teammates' performance and find out exactly who is making you lose I don't see that as anything but a negative. People are assholes and can't be trusted with that information.

I think there would be merit to having some kind of scoreboard between rounds, or at the very least at the end of a match. Yeah, some people will use it to be more toxic, but I would say that those people already find excuses to be toxic without it. What it would absolutely do is make the people who are stealth (or not stealth) throwing very obvious, and there are a shitload of those who fly under the radar, without being reported, and generate friction between other people. It'd expose them to be reported and rectified, and redirect the toxicity towards the people causing problems. It would also address at least partially the "gold medal or nothing" mindset. If someone's 'gold' but their numbers suck and are only marginally above everyone else's...

But removing medals altogether would be better yet.

ztrEPtD.gif
    Yeah that's weird especially since they designed certain heroes to "feed" more than others.

ArcTangent wrote: »
    I'm not sure how useful that'd actually be. Tanks are obviously going to contribute far more to enemy ult charge just because they have actual health pools, and get healed. Like compare a tank who is fighting tooth and nail for 30 seconds versus a Genji who immediately dies. The problem is the asshat who made it a 6v5, but their contribution to the enemy ult meter was probably minimal, while the tanks are going to be huge meter sinks. You also have characters like Rein who can have their ult generation almost totally shut down if a DVa, or Sigma to a lesser extent, decide that they're going to focus-bully them.

Also, there's the whole thing with no ult is built if it's already full.

I’d see it scaled to the hero and role to adjust for the issues you mention. Also, it would be easy to include “overcharge” by counting potential charge production.

Also, it would likely be a ratio, so the genji you mentioned would have a horrible ratio (ult generates for enemy from a free kill would easily outweigh the ult generated by the minor amount of dmg done, particularly because chip damage would contribute to enemy support charge).

A main tank would also do fine because of the healing generated for his team due to getting healed up by supports and dmg done to the enemy team.

It would also help differentiate between DPS doing chip dmg that gets healed up and those actually securing kills even if the total damage is lower.

That said, the criticisms about toxicity from information are well taken. However, a lack of useful information does not prevent toxicity because we still receive (mostly useless) information.

So toxicity right now is often based on useless information. My ult charge ratio may not be the best solution. But leaving players in the dark about actually useful information isn’t a solution either.

Yeah that's weird especially since they designed certain heroes to "feed" more than others.

It’s easy to feed on any role. For example, a S76 who puts a couple shots into a tank and runs away, only for the chip dmg to be healed easily, is feeding ult charge.

A great example of a DPS feed was in a recent NYXL game. Jjonak and hotba farmed Ana ult charge by letting a torb turret do chip dmg between fight to DVA that Ana could farm ult charge.

It’s more subtle than a feeding hog or ball but it still makes a difference. Another is players refusing to suicide to resets and instead letting the enemy clean them up. Pros suicide far more often not only to reset faster but also to deny the enemy ult charge from free kills.

Zek wrote: »
    Even if there were a reliable way to skill rank your teammates' performance and find out exactly who is making you lose I don't see that as anything but a negative. People are assholes and can't be trusted with that information.

Players are toxic even though the information they have is useless and often actively misleading. Lack of accuracy doesn’t seem to suppress toxicity. It directs the toxicity based on the implications of available information, however useful, including medals and player intuition.

For me personally, it would easily rebut ideas about lack of healing. A quick comparison between healers on both teams would quickly reveal that, even as an “off support”, I commonly have the highest healing on server.

It would also show the massive damage mitigation difference between comps with actual functioning tank lines and those without (like a hardlocked hog/Dva combo I had the misfortune of playing with last night).

edited June 2020

It’s easy to feed on any role. For example, a S76 who puts a couple shots into a tank and runs away, only for the chip dmg to be healed easily, is feeding ult charge.

A great example of a DPS feed was in a recent NYXL game. Jjonak and hotba farmed Ana ult charge by letting a torb turret do chip dmg between fight to DVA that Ana could farm ult charge.

It’s more subtle than a feeding hog or ball but it still makes a difference. Another is players refusing to suicide to resets and instead letting the enemy clean them up. Pros suicide far more often not only to reset faster but also to deny the enemy ult charge from free kills.

That's not the same as characters who will put themselves in risky situations just to engage and have minimal shielding.

A system like that would naturally make more defensive and long range characters look better even if they aren't really accomplishing anything.

Dragkonias on
    Dear mccree, our Ashe has 13k dmg. I have 9k on zen. Our rein has 7k. You are somewhere below that.

We are not the problem. You are.

Love,
    The rest of your team