As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] What We Do in the Shadows (Beyond Light expansion coming Nov. 10!)

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    My general solo/flawless strategy:
    I used top tree nightstalker, 100 mobility and 60 recovery, Sixth Coyote (double dodge) exotic chest. Mods were Taken Barrier, Hive Barrier, Taken Armaments, and Powerful Friends (for mobility). Oppressive darkness and major resist thrown in there too. Basically dodge to go invisible a lot, take it slowly, stack defensive mods. Hunter doesn't have a self-heal, so it's important to strech out the invisibility from each dodge long enough for the recovery to tick in, and not dodge too fast that dodge won't be ready again when you need it.

I believe bottom tree nightstalker is technically better, with longer lasting invisibility and better grenades, but I don't like playing that tree. Top tree nightstalker is also how I did the other dungeons solo/flawless so I'm familiar with it. Warlocks have middle tree solar and bottom tree void as reliable self-heal options. Titans have void bubble or bottom tree solar as good options.

First boss I used mountaintop, a sidearm, and anarchy. Mountaintop is good for clearing out groups of psions. Anarchy is great for sticking a knight twice then waiting for it to die and drop the needed motes, using the invisibility to safely stand in the dark/light as needed. It's also useful to go invisible right before picking up the 5x mote thing so cleansing is safer. The two weapons together are great for boss damage. Shoot anarchy at boss, focus on safety while anarchy continues to tick damage, fire some mountaintop shots when safe, repeat.

For exploration sections, I used a sniper, bow and anarchy. One shot of anarchy is good for taking out the blights. Sniper and bow for taking out enemies from a safe distance.

For the cube, I used mountaintop, riskrunner and a tracking rocket. Mountaintop and rockets were good for boss snipers and knights. Riskrunner for everything else. Enemies shoot a lot of arc, so riskrunner shreds.

For the final boss, I used the same loadout and approach as the first boss, except I would switch the sidearm to a bow during damage phase. Killing the snipers and avoiding the boss attacks is the number one priority over doing damage to the boss, which is why the passive damage from anarchy is huge. In the main room, the sooner one of the corners can be cleared, the better. Otherwise, don't rush.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Based on these, it seems like I need an Anarchy.
    Or like, not play Titan.

• CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Based on these, it seems like I need an Anarchy.
    Or like, not play Titan.
    Anarchy yes. But titans are quite capable in high end content still; I did Conqueror last season using titan

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

Needs one more panel panning back to the litter box in the background labeled "Pulled Pork".

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euaAxmtfD8E

Esoterrickk uses Witherhoard in his tutorial to show that it can be done just fine without MT/Anarchy, though he does recommend them if you have them.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Man I lucked out tonight. Totally missed out that this almost-done cycle's Nightfall was Savathun's Song on Titan. Ran in thinking of playing a few times to get Duty Bound, the rare item from this one and I end up getting it at the end of the first pass. And it's an Auto Rifle which is one of my favorite weapon-types too.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Signed on tonight just to knock out some bounties, got an unexpected invite from some guys I raided with a few days ago to help them with a riven run, that then turned into my first clear of prestige leviathan.

Feels weird to finally have that Acrius questlog gone.

• The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Steam Clan seems maxed out?

• ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    I like this season so far.

-One central location versus hopping between EDZ/Io/Moon to pick up bounties/turn in materials
    -Interference is much better than Lost Patrols jacked up with bullshit like Barrier Servitors
    -There’s a dungeon (too low to try it just yet)
    -Umbral Engrams seem to drop a lot and there’s a variety of weapons. There are repeats, but I never had a Gnawing Hunger and it’s an absolute blast to use
    -Holdfast Cloak is f’n nice. Don’t care for the ornament but love the base model

• YerMumYerMum Registered User regular

Pop into the discord, we should be able to free up some space

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I like that they're changing the public event each week, even if it turns out to be a three week cycle or something. I know that's an ultra low bar to ask for from the lone new activity in a season but I'm still scarred from last season and may be for a while.

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I like that they're changing the public event each week, even if it turns out to be a three week cycle or something. I know that's an ultra low bar to ask for from the lone new activity in a season but I'm still scarred from last season and may be for a while.

Small changes are still nice. The weekly story quest is different each week so far, even if it is only a minor change it still makes doing the quest feel so much better.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    YerMum wrote: »

Pop into the discord, we should be able to free up some space

Forum mail system seems to be completely shitting the bed right now so I can't access the thing that tells us when the last time someone logged on is. Gonna be annoying to try and clear up space.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

We can also add to the external to Destiny 2 Steam group too.
    Peen wrote: »

I was guessing 2 different areas on Io and 2 different areas on Titan, noticed some boxes and such missing on Titan - assumed that's for placing the rat's contraption.

Nosf on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I didn't see this announced anywhere, but: https://bungiestore.com/collections/whats-new/products/destiny-2-beyond-light-the-stranger-edition
    D2-BL-Stranger-Edition-1600x1040.jpg

There's another special edition of Beyond Light, the Stranger Edition comes with the digital deluxe version and a cool looking 10 inch Stranger statue. It's available on Steam from the Bungie Store, and on console through Numskull: http://www.numskull.com/destiny-2-beyond-light-the-stranger-limited-edition-deluxe-edition-dlc/

Crippl3 on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I saw some talk about some people demanding the dungeon be disabled until a bug / glitch could be fixed. That made me raise an eyebrow, so I looked it up, and was feel super torn on it.

It's an incredibly stupid glitch, but the dungeon screws you over with RNG drops, so ehhhhhhhh.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I saw some talk about some people demanding the dungeon be disabled until a bug / glitch could be fixed. That made me raise an eyebrow, so I looked it up, and was feel super torn on it.

It's an incredibly stupid glitch, but the dungeon screws you over with RNG drops, so ehhhhhhhh.

It's just more of the same, from "Content Creators" feeling like their content is being devalued by greater access to stuff like well-rolled loot.

And, in light of recent news, I daresay: fuck. them. all.

edited June 2020
    Does the glitch give you infinite access to loot rolls? Is the "effort to loot drop" timeline radically different than intended?
    Because "Content Creator" or no, additional rolls that may be exceptionally easy tends to break the loop/economy.

Guess it depends on effort to roll, a'la loot cave.

Zombie Gandhi on
    Does the glitch give you infinite access to loot rolls? Is the "effort to loot drop" timeline radically different than intended?
    Because "Content Creator" or no, additional rolls that may be exceptionally easy tends to break the loop/economy.

My understanding is that you can infinitely loop drops from the final dungeon encounter, allowing potentially easier access to better Daito gear, with the caveat that RNG is RNG and the loop is (as loops are) tedious and more of a PC thing where load times are low.

Bungie will no doubt close the loop, but it's nothing to be fussed about.

metaghost wrote: »

It's just more of the same, from "Content Creators" feeling like their content is being devalued by greater access to stuff like well-rolled loot.

And, in light of recent news, I daresay: fuck. them. all.

My "Fuck 'em" extends to more than just content creators, but yes, I agree with your basic sentiment.

It gives you infinite loot from the final chest. Not the loot off the final boss, just the chest after the fact. So the Ikelos shotgun, etc. It does not give Daito gear unless Daito can also come from the final chest, but I thought the final chest was just some weapons and Trials of the Nine armor.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    For terrible science from reddit:

Kill the prophecy boss

Immediately leave or change character (before you get loot)

Load someone into the prophecy but change character during loading (slipstream)

They load in and instantly get the boss kill, pinnacle, emissary loot, umbral engram, and xp

You keep the checkpoint (because you didn't load in allowing you to repeat infinitely)

Trade checkpoint with someone else to keep giving each other loot.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    is there a heroic adventure with todays reset? doesn't look like it

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Did you know that the weekly bounty quest from the Gunsmith can drop an umbral engram? Well, if you take that powerful umbral engram and decode it as one of your first three engrams, you get a powerful bonus on top of that, which is how I ended up with a 1030 item when my power level is at 1024

Opty on
    Nosf wrote: »

Kill the prophecy boss

They load in and instantly get the boss kill, pinnacle, emissary loot, umbral engram, and xp

You keep the checkpoint (because you didn't load in allowing you to repeat infinitely)

You only get the boss loot if you hadn't killed the boss that week / cycle, though. If you try to infinitely loop it, you only get the loot from the chest on subsequent "runs".

Nosf wrote: »

Kill the prophecy boss

Isn't Prophecy farmable? So this on face value seems like a lot of load screen exploiting for loot drops that would otherwise require completing the whole dungeon?

Call me old fashioned I guess, but that seems broken and worth fixing.

(Oh I guess you just get one drop/not infinite XP? Less urgent still dumb)

(Oh I guess you just get one drop/not infinite XP? Less urgent still dumb)

You get the final chest, in front of the massive figure of the person from the Nine, and XP on subsequent runs.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    is there a heroic adventure with todays reset? doesn't look like it

Mercury is weird. You gotta "buy" it from Vance to open it up.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Since I'm not playing this season (though, depending on what the yearly solstice/triumph events look like...) I went ahead and spoiled myself on the lorebooks and such.

I was thinking about savathun, tangentially (theory spoilers, not any seasonal spoilers I don't think EDIT: spoiler in the spoiler for minor season lore spoilers. I need to say spoiler more. Spoilerspoilerspoiler. k.)

I was wondering if anyone considered that Mara Sov is Savathun. Hot take! I know! First to think of that one!

No, what I mean, is that Mara doesn't have any idea she is Savathun. That since Savathun is fed by deception, deceit, and conspiracy, what if she sent herself on the ultimate bender of deceiving herself for endless power?

One of the most powerful beings in the universe who is made stronger when all the lies and webs she spins gets speculated on and distorted, could recreate herself as an absurdly powerful being when the ship with what would become the Awoken were on touched the void and were pulled through. Then when the Dreaming City inevitably gets wrapped up in all the Taken stuff, breadcrumbs Savathun left leading Mara to Riven and all that, convincing herself she was fighting Savathun, but really was fulfilling a preplanned cycle of deception, amplifying the nature of the recurring cycle in the Dreaming City to take Savathun's power to a whole different level.

I mean, it's kind of a tired theory that Mara is Savathun, but, lets say she is and doesn't know it. Savathun is still out there, because time, and Mara could be faced with a choice of defying what she is, further blurring the line between dark/light, and kind of mirroring Uldrens journey from a pawn who hated guardians and the traveler only to become one himself.

I also had a thought that maybe the Traveler itself is a creation of Savathun to begin with. I know the Hive were pursuing the Traveler prior to their contact with the Deep and subsequent events that lead to where we are now. So the Traveler pre-dated all this. However, it was Savathun that tricked Crota into letting the Vex into Oryx's Throne World, it stands to reason she knew of the Vex already, and thus may have had some ability to time the situation and create a loop that lead them there to begin with. Avoiding diving into the grimoire stuff here to keep the post short, this is what made me consider the Traveler is possibly a tool of Savathun to begin with. She feeds on deception and conspiracy. Well, consider that the Traveler is an unknown entity, with powers that aren't understood but often speculated, who has motives that no one truly understands, but are constantly theorized on; it comes and empowers an otherwise benign race that wouldn't have presented any threat to the "greater" powers of the universe, and arguably leads to its downfall that only happened because it propped them up to begin with. Then, it starts bringing the damn dead back to life while wiping their memories, leading all these beings walking around with absurd amounts of power, unable to die, and having no idea why, with ghosts that keep them alive, when they don't understand what the ghosts are (nor do the ghosts themselves), and wonder about who they were, or why they're doing what they do. And then send them off against some perpetually unknown enemy that is only a word, that never seems to actually have a form, with ever changing targets that may or may not be involved with their enemy (the darkness), constantly trying to figure out what the actual fuck is going on, and every time they think they almost "get it", a rug is pulled out and whoops, that wasn't it!

It kind of feels like they're leading to the idea that the entire "conflict" between Darkness and Light is completely fabricated, that neither actually exists. Guardians, currently, seem to source their power from the Light, but maybe that's just them only tapping into one part of a general well of power, and being afraid of the rest because....why? Because they've been told to, because the Traveler is the "Light" and that's that.

Well, if you were a being that gained power by deception, conspiracy, intrigue, etc, setting off a galactic conflict setting factions to sides that don't even exist, fighting an unwinnable war because the "enemy" doesn't actually exist, and all of the players involved trying desperately to figure out what the flying hell is going on....sure seems like that'd be a feast.

Maybe the Pyramids aren't the Darkness, maybe they're just something that figured out there is really no such thing. Or, they are just a facade also made by Savathun to represent the Darkness, like the Traveler is the Light, but are just more pawns that don't really know any better than you.

season lore book spoilers
    Something is clearly trying to get Eris to understand that there is no Light or Dark, though. It seems like they're trying to do it in an "Inception" sort of manner, to make sure when she figures it all out, it is her ideas, not just reading or hearing something. Training her to think in a way that can see through the bullshit. Or, I suppose, it could just be the opposite, they could be trying to brainwash her to think she's opening her mind and in control, but really just implanting thoughts there.

With the stuff with the Drifter and Stranger in the trailer for the expansion, and given what we know of them (the Drifter knows it's all bullshit, but he's a coward, and has put himself in a position that no one really trusts him, even if he did want to openly do something about it..so he does things in the shadows; the Stranger is from a time that seems entirely separate from ours, not the future or the past, but a different course entirely, and probably knows something more about the whole conflict we simply can't see from our timeline) it seems they're all primed to join together to do something that can't be done by those who think they're on a "side". When I first watched the trailer I had a feeling of "oh, this shit again, why does everything have to be done covertly in Destiny and then have to bring in the Guardians to clean up the mess?" but the more I think about it, and some stuff from the season lore book, makes me think that if any of them attempted to get assistance beforehand, they would have been stopped by any number of people, because pretty much everyone except maybe Osiris (and who knows what the fuck is going on with him now), kinda Ikora, and possibly Rasputin pre-getting screwed up by the Pyramids, are super stuck on everything being factional and Light vs Dark. I think Ana is on the way to figuring it out, being so steeped in pre-collapse stuff as she is, getting more access to information that reveals the truth about the conflict, and maybe Cayde had some notion, but that doesn't matter anymore.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and all this conflict over the confusion? You can bet Xivu Arath is eating that shit up!

Anyway, I dunno. Not playing right now, but I still do enjoy the speculation and lore!

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Fixed an issue where Seasonal Artifact mods required more Glimmer than intended to socket.

Ok thank god. I thought it was intentionally costing me 5,000 glimmer.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Got my exotic cypher. Which of the below should I get, I'm probably weakest at pvp so it would be good if it was a good pvp weapon:

Leviathan's Breath
    Bastion
    Symmetry
    Devil's Ruin

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    the only one of those that gets any use in PVP is bastion but my understanding is that it's harder to use than most fusion rifles

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    Bastion is probably considered the best PvP weapon of that list, with Symmetry being "should be better than it is, but Scouts never get love."

Devil's Ruin has apparently been reappraised as pretty good due to the new Sidearm Charged With Light mod.

Leviathan's Breath is a curiosity, but a satisfying one.

Bastion is probably considered the best PvP weapon of that list, with Symmetry being "should be better than it is, but Scouts never get love."

Devil's Ruin has apparently been reappraised as pretty good due to the new Sidearm Charged With Light mod.

Are those new charged with light mods viable in pvp? To my extremely untrained eye they look pvp focused.

august wrote: »

Are those new charged with light mods viable in pvp? To my extremely untrained eye they look pvp focused.

Not especially viable, but you can proc them as far as I know.

DodgeBlan wrote: »
    the only one of those that gets any use in PVP is bastion but my understanding is that it's harder to use than most fusion rifles

You basically need to anticipate it / treat Bastion like it has a larger charge time than it indicates. It's kind of annoying in that respect, but it absolutely murders.

Bizazedo wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

You basically need to anticipate it / treat Bastion like it has a larger charge time than it indicates. It's kind of annoying in that respect, but it absolutely murders.

How does it stack up against Telesto? That’s one of my go-tos.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    By the way the BLM Pin with emblem went live on the Bungie Store. Bungo, sometimes ur alright :biggrin:

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    By the way the BLM Pin with emblem went live on the Bungie Store. Bungo, sometimes ur alright :biggrin:

I'm gonna go order one. If anyone is on the fence about the actual pin part of the purchase: I just got my Destiny pride pin in the mail and it's a really solid piece of work. Heavy; pretty big; really nice, bold enamel colors; rubber Destiny-log pin backs.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Banshee just gave me the quest for Tommy's Matchbook catalyst... I completed that quest and then upgraded the catalyst all last season. What the heck?

As someone who has only played Destiny casually (up until the last couple of weeks where I’ve been playing heavily thanks to unemployment) the power leveling scaling is a mystery to me. Some things get trivialized while some things remain difficult. I’m about 1040 right now and am attempting to do the Drifter quest version of The Corrupted which was 580 on release and it’s just like: lol, not gonna happen bud you ain’t even getting in the front door.