As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars Outer Rim PbP - Perform rim jobs for credits

1131415161719»

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    caeymxjbfkuh.jpg

• Options
    I'm up next then.

Move to Ryloth (upper path should be clear).
    Flip Bounty Card in Market
    Encounter the unflipped contact (Grey one I believe)

@MrBody

There is no unflipped contact on Ryloth. Just Greedo and an empty space. Do you want to move somewhere else?

You can tell unflipped contacts apart from empty spaces by the solid color outline on the unflipped.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Nah, the move was in prep for future turn, so I’ll just encounter planet instead.

@MrBody

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
  • Options
    Apologies. Left the laptop this is all on at a friend's. Will be getting it back tonight.

• Options
    Secret card.

next up
    @discrider

• Options
    Geth roll 5d8 for Never tell me the odds
    Geth roll 6d8 for A fully operational battle station

Never tell me the odds:
    5d8 16 [5d8=5, 1, 2, 1, 7]
    A fully operational battle station:
    6d8 27 [6d8=7, 8, 2, 8, 1, 1]

• Options
    Geth roll 2d8t5 for alternative universe Job

alternative universe Job:
    2d8t5 1 [2d8t5=2, 6]

• Options
    So I move to the Imp patrol and lose, because my autocannon doesn't fire
    I take 3 damage and move the Imp patrol one
    @jdarksun

• Options
    Sorry, I'm lost. Alternate universe job?

• Options
    edited June 2020
    MrBody wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm lost. Alternate universe job?

If I had gone to the planet and completed the face up job to win :/

You can ignore it; it didn't happen

discrider on
  • Options
    Ok, jdark up.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Planning:
    * Move to Tatooine

Action:
    * Market - Pick up Ziton Moj Bounty

Encounter:
    * Encounter a Contact - Hera Syndulla, Bounty Hunting Mode

Plastoid Armor + Strength = 1 fewer die for Hera

Geth, roll 3d8t5 for Doctor Aphra & Crew
    Geth, roll 4d8t5 for Hera Syndulla

Doctor Aphra & Crew:
    3d8t5 1 [3d8t5=1, 3, 8]
    Hera Syndulla:
    4d8t5 3 [4d8t5=2, 6, 7, 6]

• Options
    Spend 2,000c for another couple hits to tie things up, win the combat, suffer 2 damage (the max damage because of the IQA-11 blaster rifle).

Can't remember what Hera's reward is though

• Options
    2 fame.
    And game.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Thanks all for the game, especially thanks @MrBody for running.

I had some great card luck, and some terrible dice luck that game, which left me out in front of jdark for ages and scared of Chrysis sitting on me (which would have got him to 9 on a planet, no sweat)
    Seems like I shouldn't have spent any time chasing contacts whatsoever.
    And very lucky I got two jobs that just cost damage instead of insta-failing, and drawing armour to pass b one, as well as whatever the Spice card did (it looks like it was played twice, once as a Maelstrom card and one as a Kessel card).

The game feels very push your luck with the jobs, illegal cargo and patrols.
    Seemed that most people shouldn't focus on contacts until they can look at them for free, or should cycle bounty cards so that an open contact can be nabbed straight away.

In any case, seems a game of rolling the dice rather than steady building, and it probably plays better and faster when everyone has a handle on what the odds are for each action.

discrider on
  • Options
    I do not understand bounty hunting in this game. I had assumed it would be more about going back and forth on the board to chase down contacts but it felt like there were just bounty cards with no people to be found.

Thanks for running @MrBody!

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    @Mrbody Thanks for running this.

Bounty Hunting seems like a trap. The amount of time and resources spent gearing up to stand a chance, tracking down a target, and then hauling it back to wherever only to get a relative pittance pales in comparison to doing jobs, which are somewhat predictable. Bounty Hunting is the gambling approach, but it's all risk and no reward. Not to mention how widely the character and ship abilities swing.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Were the secret cards worth it?
    I never saw one, and it was the only thing that might've given me pause in my 'fly at things, die, rinse repeat' strategy.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Were the secret cards worth it?
    I never saw one, and it was the only thing that might've given me pause in my 'fly at things, die, rinse repeat' strategy.

My one I got and subsequently lost to a patrol was to steal another players fame if we were in the same place and they had more than me. But I'd also lose reputation with the faction of my victim's choice. So realistically not great.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    @MrBody Thank you for running! I had fun.
    discrider wrote: »
    The game feels very push your luck with the jobs, illegal cargo and patrols.
    I think this hits the nail on the head. There's frequent decision making, but whether or not a lot of those decision are "correct" in hindsight feel based on luck.

• Options
    My secrets were to steal a bounty contract if I was where the bounty was, one other (second page of PMs breaks for me), and then I just got one where if I kill an Imp patrol I could get 1 fame and rebel rep.

• Options
    Congrats, jdark. Your reward is Dr. Aphra/Vader romance fan art!

More like Dr. Aphradisiac!

a51rcpaqf1hq.jpg
    o2j6i005m2hw.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Yeah I'm not sure how bounty hunting is supposed to be a competitive option. You need a minimum of 3 pieces of gear to go after the more valuable targets, then spend all that time actually finding and moving to the targets.

Jobs, you're boned if you're lacking that crucial needed skill, but you're golden if you have it. Getting a crew member to plug that missing skill is a lot easier to pull off than bounty requirements.

Plus the decks are VERY thin. Like, base game Eldritch Horror thin.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Bounty hunting seems like it is meant to be the drag on smugglers/jobbers.
    So you only take Bounties that target crew of the other players.
    Then they have to choose between investing in winning or investing in defending themselves.

But.. I didn't need crew anyway?
    And I doubt there was a bounty for the expensive deck crewmen, even in Nal Hutta's deck.

• Options
    I think the most shocking thing about this game was how apparently the long-lipped singer of Jabba the Hut is the most powerful being in the Star Wars universe.