As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Kamigawa; where Keanu plays some sort of Cyborg Rat Ninja

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    If you feel like you need to grind out the full 10 wins a day to get your money’s worth out of the mastery pass, the good news is that you absolutely don’t. Honestly, just clear your dailies (which you can hold 3 of at a time) and get those first 15 weekly wins.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Yeah I just maxed out (80) today. The only reason I've been playing daily is because Covid has prevented me from doing much of anything else after work.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I haven't focus much on 15 wins lately, hence why I'm only 41 (I confess, I paid for 10 levels because I'm weak, so I'm 51 by cheating)

I'm hoping with my goal of many more limited runs in M21 that I won't have to worry so much about whether the pass is worth it.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Took a lot of grinding to get there, but I finally made it. Robbed a Petty Theft to bounce their Archon and put them to lethal.

Congrats! I naively thought I'd breeze through Diamond this weekend and be at mythic with my budget Azorious Fliers deck. That...hasn't happened. I'm actually started to come up against real decks now and people are running faster decks with a lot more removal.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'm surprised I got all the way to historic diamond with a couple decks that are just "Dinosaur tribal" and "kiln fiend facepunch".

Steam ID: Right here.
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Hey, red deck wins. (I assume that the Kiln Fiend deck, at least, is mono-red.)

Shadowen wrote: »
    Hey, red deck wins. (I assume that the Kiln Fiend deck, at least, is mono-red.)

Hell no. It's an UR deck. Wee Dragonauts are sort of the backup to the Fiend, and blue lets me have various little useful things such as the ability to make the Fiend surprise unblockable.

It's basically a worse version of my old pauper UR Kiln Fiend deck, which was fast enough that it could outrace my friend's 300 euro Modern Affinity deck back in the day with some frequency. Sadly we don't have some of my old standbys like Assault Strobe and Manamorphose (which was, hilariously, a twenty cent common back then) in Historic, but I make do.

Distortion Strike was always a Kiln Fiend favorite.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Distortion Strike was always a Kiln Fiend favorite.

It really was. I'm having to make do with Ghostform, sadly.

I hit gold in constructed. I'm okay with that. Managed to get decent with my Cycle deck

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Probably going to make it to Diamond with the Lurrus Enchant deck:
    iykxeaw0v5ft.png

It feels pretty unreliable though.
    With the right balance of glitters/protection you can outrace non-creature decks, but not often.
    Other times you don't draw the protection you need to play Lurrus safely.

Still pretty fun getting glitter buffs from your -2/-3 enchants on enemy creatures, or protecting from removal or to drive your big creature through their wall of stuff.
    Or protecting to drop removal auras off your things.
    Or putting Kaya's on your saccing enchantment and triggering just for cards and +2/2 on the mystic.
    There's just a nice amount of tricky in the deck, even if you don't get a stacked deck all the time -_-

edited June 2020
    Any thought to cutting a Rites or two for Revival//Revenge or even Rise to Glory for Lurrus recursion?

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Not sure.

Revival/Revenge seems bad.
    Rise to Glory, on the other hand, would seem to fill an issue where you can't play negative auras from your graveyard fast enough.

edited June 2020
    Well the main benefit to Revival is that it's a 2-mana spell in a deck where you're only running 20 real lands. But I haven't played the deck; do you normally have 5 mana for Rise in games where you aren't just dying to flood?

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Finally made some time to use the free entry for my 1st Cube Draft. First picked a Skargan Hellkite, then Aurelia, and then Tajic, so it looked like Boros Aggro was going to be my jam. As the draft went on the red cards showed up more often or beat out the white cards, and I ended up in Mono Red Aggro. Which is exactly my wheelhouse, since the only deck I have built in Arena is RDW to grind 4 wins a day as quickly as possible by winning or losing in 5 turns, so I was reasonably pleased with this.

First opponent has turn 2 Agonizing Remorse to eat my Tectonic Giant aka my late game card advantage, turn 3 Flame Sweep to kill my 1, 2, and 3 drops, and then drops Patient Rebuilding and buries me in card advantage.

Second opponent has turn 2 Agonizing Remorse to eat my Tectonic Giant, spot removal for my two monsters, then Fae of Wishes for Patient Rebuilding out of the sideboard, and buries me in card advantage. :bigfrown:

0-2 right away. Looks like trouble for our intrepid hero.

However, from here I was able to turn things around with a mix of curving out, timely burn for mid-combat blowouts or to opponent's face, and a few longer grindy games where I had to stretch the Red Deck's card advantage, and managed to rattle off 7 wins in a row.

People were not pleased to see Scorch Spitter into Steamkin into Robber of the Rich + Rimrock Knight Adventure as a 1 2 3 when I was on the play.

Also I wasn't familiar with Rampaging Ferocidon before this, but man is it great to get early advantage against a deck playing nothing but taplands then drop that and limit how they can get back in the game. Dropping Angrath, Captain of Chaos and letting half my squad sneak by for lethal also felt good.

And on that note, with Ikoria Mastery/drafts rotating for M21 this week, I think I'll retire from Magic again. It was a roller-coaster of emotions, but with quarantine ending near me I don't think I'll have time to grind 4 wins a day, much less spend all this gold on drafts. One draft takes about 2 hours to do, and I don't have that kind of time on the regular basically ever, even if I break it up in smaller chunks over multiple days.

Be well y'all.

edited June 2020
    Well the main benefit to Revival is that it's a 2-mana spell in a deck where you're only running 20 real lands. But I haven't played the deck; do you normally have 5 mana for Rise in games where you aren't just dying to flood?

Yes.
    The main reason this deck has survived post-Companion change is that you don't tend to play Lurrus until you have the ability to protect it with either Alseid or Kaya's.
    Preferably both.
    And maybe not even then now, against UB (need to get to 6/7)

But anyway, you're probably at 4 lands when you do play Lurrus, and then if the Lurrus dies (or is countered), you likely have the 5 mana to play Rise and get him back.
    So.. might be good for getting him back out of the bin.
    And a kill spell/instant protection for Lurrus/Glitters on a bulky thing.

Revival though. I don't need my other creatures back, and Revenge doesn't seem useful, as often I'm at 30 life.

I'm just random walking through Tier 1 Platinum at the moment though, so hopefully I get to Diamond without changes.

discrider on
    edited June 2020
    Like I should say that the deck originally had Omens of the Dead in there, but it just never seemed worth it.
    Whenever Lurrus died, it was either exiled or the graveyard was exiled soon after.
    Maybe not so much anymore, now that people aren't playing companions as much, but still.

discrider on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Dang, my budget fliers deck appears to have topped out in Diamond 2, I'm generally seeing the same 3 archetypes over and over; cycling into zenith flares, paradise druid mutations that ramps into Starrix, or some form of all the removal. And all three destroy my fliers deck. I might have to go back to my slow ass control deck at this point. If I can't grind out of Diamond, I guess I can at least find some joy making everyone else miserable. Of course I could always just give in and a build a cat oven deck and be that guy.

Dark_Side on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Dang, my budget fliers deck appears to have topped out in Diamond 2, I'm generally seeing the same 3 archetypes over and over; cycling into zenith flares, paradise druid mutations that ramps into Starrix, or some form of all the removal. And all three destroy my fliers deck. I might have to go back to my slow ass control deck at this point. If I can't grind out of Diamond, I guess I can at least find some joy making everyone else miserable. Of course I could always just give in and a build a cat oven deck and be that guy.

I wouldn't jump ship until we see how the post-M21 meta plays out. It's unlikely it'll shake things up a lot, but you never know!

+ Diamond for the first time
    Final boss:
    All removal.
    Sacced my Alseid to dodge his Erebos lifegain for the win.
    2lmizo64azvy.png

But today it was mostly just mill, mill, mill decks.
    And getting Lurrus out as quickly as possible so that I could get anything from my deck.
    Already hate new Teferi. Mill, and activations on opponent's turn. haha.
    At least it doesn't bounce my dudes, and so I can wait for an Alseid to use my creatures :(

edited June 2020
    I also have to ask, why did I spend coins on this dog lord pet, when I can get this butterfly doggo with the new mastery pass?
    I have like three billion gold I guess, but mistakes were made.

discrider on
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Hmm Chandra's incinerator isn't working for me. I had a black shrine out doing 1 dmg in the pre combat main case and it wasn't reducing the cost to cast. And an activated ability on a zombie did 2 dmg and Chandra's incinerator did nothing.

Am I reading the card wrong?

steam_sig.png
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Hmm Chandra's incinerator isn't working for me. I had a black shrine out doing 1 dmg in the pre combat main case and it wasn't reducing the cost to cast. And an activated ability on a zombie did 2 dmg and Chandra's incinerator did nothing.

Am I reading the card wrong?

Damage causes loss of life, but loss of life is not damage.

I ate an engineer
    edited June 2020
    The code for 3 packs this time around is "PlayM21". Which is like the only iteration I didn't try yesterday.

EDIT: Also, everyone gets a fun email today (or soon).

b45fi81l4qxp.png

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    I'm trying to decide if I want to do some Sealed to learn Limited or just focus on Draft.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I’m excitedly waiting for the Keyforge rip off format. I hope it’s not too expensive to be able to play pretty regularly. I love CCGs for the variety of cards and interactions but find deck building to be too overwhelming with options to be fun. I don’t so much enjoy honing down an efficient deck of limited choices, I just want to try one of everything!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    I’m excitedly waiting for the Keyforge rip off format. I hope it’s not too expensive to be able to play pretty regularly. I love CCGs for the variety of cards and interactions but find deck building to be too overwhelming with options to be fun. I don’t so much enjoy honing down an efficient deck of limited choices, I just want to try one of everything!

Oh hey, neat: someone this product was designed for! I'm happy they found a way for you to (better) enjoy the game, Jam!

(Too bad the product will be delayed outside of US/Can but that's just the world we live in right now.)

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Oh hey, neat: someone this product was designed for! I'm happy they found a way for you to (better) enjoy the game, Jam!

(Too bad the product will be delayed outside of US/Can but that's just the world we live in right now.)

I have some keyforge decks that I play a th friends regularly. I am excited to see what wotc can do with this, especially if they can keep the power level equal through different jumpstart sets. I have some friends who do like magic but don't like deck building, this is ideal to get them back to the table.

In my country it will be available at the end of July.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
    M21 Prerelease codes! Take one if you didn't get one!

Loading...?

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    My white green lifegain deck always runs out of oomph at the top of gold. It seems that gold 1 is the transition between seeing a varied set of decks and "all counterspells and removal all the time"

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    Oh hey this is a first.

sdgtd4rcesme.png

Usually I stop when I climb back up to gold, but the Core 2021 release reset the weekly wins so I ran a couple of extra drafts this weekend.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Two 7-2 Premier Drafts in a row so far for this set.

I really like this set so far.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Before I go too far down this rabbit hole and start playing tutorials - how is Arena in terms of budget? I haven't played Magic for years but was thinking it looked like a nice way to get back into it casually. I was hoping to play some against bots and beginners but not get super into competitive stuff because I just can't spend a massive amount. Can I have fun with this at a minimal cost?

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Before I go too far down this rabbit hole and start playing tutorials - how is Arena in terms of budget? I haven't played Magic for years but was thinking it looked like a nice way to get back into it casually. I was hoping to play some against bots and beginners but not get super into competitive stuff because I just can't spend a massive amount. Can I have fun with this at a minimal cost?

I have been playing for a year and a half and have spent zero money, so..yes?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO

I have been playing for a year and a half and have spent zero money, so..yes?

Nice - that's good to hear! I was just reading about the Jumpstart thing and that seems pretty much perfect for me too. It might be a good time to get back into this.

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Yes but .....

It involves playing a bunch and not having a full collection right away. It is possible to get complete set of all the rares (you don't need the mythics) in a set without spending money by completing your daily quests and getting 15 wins a week and then using your in game currency to do drafts and do not horribly in those drafts. It is a bit of a slog and involves not opening your reward packets until later to take advantage of the duplicate protection for rares.

It also depends on what you find fun. If you want to play a bunch of top tier constructed decks right away, it's not really doable without spending a ton of money. If you want to just play one deck or mess around with budget* only decks, you can do that for free. When I first started, I played a budget deck for an expansion while I built up my collection and then I generally had enough rares and wildcard to pick up a new deck when each expansion came out. Sometimes my previous deck was good enough after the new expansion that I kept playing it and sometimes I needed to swap decks to something else.

*Budget on arena is different from budget in paper. Each rare has exactly the same cost so Teferi/Uro both cost as much as bulk rare/mythic that would be 50 cents in paper. So if your idea of budget is wacky combos with offmeta rare, that's not going be easily doable on arena.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    All I really want to do it sit down a few evenings here and there and enjoy a quick game of Magic and maybe have a chance of winning once and awhile. That's pretty much it, which is why I'm thinking buying a few boosters in Jumpstart might end up the best route for me. I don't want to do super in-depth deck building, or grind a bunch to get rare cards, I just want to play other casual beginners once and awhile.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah I should note that I could not care less about getting up the ranked modes, or collecting full sets of every card. I just want to make enough gems in a season to pay for the mastery pass and that's it, so clearing the daily quests and playing the odd draft is enough for me.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    All I really want to do it sit down a few evenings here and there and enjoy a quick game of Magic and maybe have a chance of winning once and awhile. That's pretty much it, which is why I'm thinking buying a few boosters in Jumpstart might end up the best route for me. I don't want to do super in-depth deck building, or grind a bunch to get rare cards, I just want to play other casual beginners once and awhile.

It’s v friendly to starting up. The game gives you a really nice set of starter decks to begin playing around with. One of each colour and one for each colour pairing. They play perfectly fine at the low ranks.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular

Yea, you can do that pretty easily without paying anything. The unranked queue supposedly even looks at your deck and tries to match you towards ones on a similar power level through how well it does this is pretty questionable.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer