As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Path of Exile] Sentinel League starts 05/13. Pokebots and uber bosses!

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »
    Im going trickster, but next league I think I'll probably see if I can make Pathfinder work.

Pathfinders require currency to make work

What items do they need? Also thanks for mentioning that, cause I was real close to restarting the character rq.

depends on what you wanna do, but generally they bare minimum need a Bottled Sun and oftentimes want a Taste of Hate

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So... mines don't trigger HoA, but since totems are the player, iirc, would the ballista totem with toxic rain build HoA? Is this idea really dumb, or just kind of dumb?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Has Infernal Support been a thing for a while?

Because, I don't think there is anything more satisfying than seeing Raging Spirits that actually fly into/through crowds and set people on fire.

It's a couple of leagues old. It's neat, but there isn't really a way to scale it.

I'm total shit at builds in general, and don't fully understand how to get the specific gear that people build around, so, it's more just the satisfaction aspect of it for me (plus, got it in act 1, so not a huge need to scale just yet)

That's my league starter - SRS+Infernal Legion Support+Minion Instability. I'm mainly using it because the playstyle is basically the ARPG equivalent of W+M1, and you can hit things off-screen rather easily.

The other issue I have now is that SRS is so straightforward that I always have a decent chunk of "downtime" during a fight, so I'm trying to find a good secondary skill to fit in. I'm not really sure what works - other minion skills are pointless because of MI and my passives are all in minion damage/minion life/life/mana nodes. Skitterbots for chill/shock auras? Shove SRS onto a totem and just Flame Dash around like a troll? Hell, at this point I'm thinking of putting SRS onto a totem and then spamming Bane with Flammability/Elemental Weakness/Despair.

• PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    I got a Tier 3 corruption room on my first temple, but I don't have anything to corrupt. Any ideas on how/how much to sell it for?

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Skitterbots are adorable comedy. They just shock everything I attack forever.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    Darklyre wrote: »

Because, I don't think there is anything more satisfying than seeing Raging Spirits that actually fly into/through crowds and set people on fire.

It's a couple of leagues old. It's neat, but there isn't really a way to scale it.

I'm total shit at builds in general, and don't fully understand how to get the specific gear that people build around, so, it's more just the satisfaction aspect of it for me (plus, got it in act 1, so not a huge need to scale just yet)

That's my league starter - SRS+Infernal Legion Support+Minion Instability. I'm mainly using it because the playstyle is basically the ARPG equivalent of W+M1, and you can hit things off-screen rather easily.

The other issue I have now is that SRS is so straightforward that I always have a decent chunk of "downtime" during a fight, so I'm trying to find a good secondary skill to fit in. I'm not really sure what works - other minion skills are pointless because of MI and my passives are all in minion damage/minion life/life/mana nodes. Skitterbots for chill/shock auras? Shove SRS onto a totem and just Flame Dash around like a troll? Hell, at this point I'm thinking of putting SRS onto a totem and then spamming Bane with Flammability/Elemental Weakness/Despair.

Incenerate and infused channeling? Curse on Hit Flammability?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I got a Tier 3 corruption room on my first temple, but I don't have anything to corrupt. Any ideas on how/how much to sell it for?

usually atleast an EX, but hard to find trustworthy people

i believe theres a discord (forbidden trove IIRC) who have vouchers and a good community

J3qcnBP.png
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Preemptive, I know it's probably not scaling (or even a good choice), but I am currently running SRS+Infernal Support+Combustion link.

It's hilarious to see all the fire going on.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Darklyre wrote: »

do incinerate cast while channelling desecrate, bodyswap, offering aww yee

obF2Wuw.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    another trick with infernal legion is that carrion golems and, oddly, mirror arrow are the best candidates for it because they have large "minions deal % more damage modifiers"

carrions up to 50% more and mirror arrow 75% (and like 100% inc too)

obF2Wuw.png
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Today is league start for the console folks and I would just like to say goodbye to this ridiculously OP beast.

lpg4d4ufq9nu.jpg

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    PoE seems like a truly excellent game, but I'm like insanely overwhelmed by the character build options. New league seems like a good time to try again. Is it workable to go in and try to build a character without looking up a bunch of stuff ahead of time or should I read up on some guides and builds first?

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    PoE seems like a truly excellent game, but I'm like insanely overwhelmed by the character build options. New league seems like a good time to try again. Is it workable to go in and try to build a character without looking up a bunch of stuff ahead of time or should I read up on some guides and builds first?

Personally, I looked up some youtube guides before I got started because there was no way in hell I was going to figure out what is going on with the skill tree/web. I stumbled across a channel by Esoro who puts together very comprehensive and easy to follow build guides that give you a path on what to pick for skills and gear at early, mid and end game.

If you haven't already, make sure you get a loot filter, there is so much garbage that drops, if you see it all it will be overwhelming.

steam_sig.png
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I only really began to understand the game when I played an entire league as aura support for a friend and they explained all our character progression goals and why we were doing them.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    Your best bet is probably to find a solid league starter build on youtube. It'll give you a passive tree to follow, gems to use, and a good idea of what to aim for on gear. Part of the issue is it can be really hard to gauge what type of game style you'll enjoy. We can give you lots of great ideas, but w/o knowing your preferred playstyle, we're just shooting in the dark, and the only way to know your preferred play style is to just try different shit and see whats fun/not.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I started as cobra lash and other than like toxic rain I dont think ive had an easier start to a leage in recent memory.

Easy to gear.

End game weapons cost 1c or less.

High survive at low health.

Only con is evasion layers which means trials are a pain in the butt.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I started as cobra lash and other than like toxic rain I dont think ive had an easier start to a leage in recent memory.

Easy to gear.

got a link?

edited June 2020
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Easy to gear.

got a link?

I just built it myself really. Wasps nests is what I use. Until then just the best dagger or claw i could find. PoE Ninja is a good resource to see what others are doing.

https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds?class=Assassin&skill=Cobra-Lash&weapon=Claw-/-Claw&heatmap

My POB. I sacrificed some of the pathing for survive. Some go down to the bottom of the tree but I like to stay grouped.

https://pastebin.com/r0ApCVjU

With what I have on ill reach very reasonable dps without the 6L.

Additional notes:

I bline for acro/phase acro and hp nodes then grab dmg nodes as I need them. The claw node with soul raker is high value if you level with claws. There are other leech nodes around but you will want to grab mana leech midway through story or so to make it easier and less mana pot intensive. You will want to level up viper strike and a couple swap in gems if you plan on big bossing with it. With the same tree you should be able to just swap in viper strike for gaurdians shaper etc.

Jubal77 on
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I definitely think the best way to learn the game is to grab a build guide and try to learn from there. I was super overwhelmed looking at the passive tree initially, and it made PoE seem very scary, but I finally gave it a real shot and found a guide that said it was an easy league starter. It was, and progressing through the passive tree using their guide will teach you a lot. And now, I have 1300 hours and can't quit no matter how much I tell myself I'm going to skip a league. There are plenty of guides that are super general and don't require knowledge of specific mechanics or any specific items. There are also some guides that require 10 interwoven mechanics that you have to attain more or less simultaneously, that take the build from terrible to incredibly good due to the systems stacking and buffing the hell out of you. Probably avoid those to start with!

Like, my build this league is as easy as "here take this passive tree, follow it, use the best 2 handed physical damage axe you can find, and use Earthquake along with a couple of shouts." No uniques required, no huge breakpoints where you go from terrible to good, and you can generally focus on the killing and not care a ton about the meta.

Knowing the meta will help, eventually! But don't beat yourself up trying to learn 100% of everything -- the game has a ton of content now, but don't drive yourself crazy by trying to be the most efficient master of all of them at the same time. It's just not necessary with the right build guide, until you get very deep into the end game. A point that you may not even reach, and you'll still have done a ton of stuff and learned a lot. If you stare into the meta abyss on your first day, you will 100% go insane.

If you're interested in the build guide route, we can all probably link you several solid build guides to choose from.

Fiatil on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The friendliest ones even point out when along your leveling route you should start prioritizing different defenses or quality of life upgrades. There is an order to things for any build. With a bit of play you'll see why this or that is a good or bad idea for you, when, without needing much guidance.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    Fiatil wrote: »
    If you're interested in the build guide route, we can all probably link you several solid build guides to choose from.

That would be awesome. I know I can google this stuff but I don't really know how to distinguish the good stuff from the crap.

Generally the forums are a good place to start. They type it out and give multiple options. Youtube can work too but the main problem with some of the builders is that they build it with expensive stuff in mind. The official forum guides that I remember seeing, i havent used one in a long while, tend to spell out other options available to you.

You could get some help here too to point you at a good guide. We would just need to know what type of play style you like. The game offers so many varieties that it can be tricky.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

generally it depends on how much time you have to play

following a good guide will get you a good character start, and you should be able to finish the story is about 10-20 hours. this will be a good intro to how the game works and what does what

if you start your own character without looking anything up, there will likely be a time where you hit a hard wall in story, with not enough damage or life to get past certain bosses

having a friend (or guild, join pa!) who can walk you through the basics is extremely helpful too

if you have an archtype or class in mind (mage throwing fireballs, 2 handing barbarian, archer etc) we can probably suggest some good beginning guides or builds

J3qcnBP.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Map bosses are so woefully underpowered now. I'm killing them in a few hits.

Whereas shit like metamorphs are rippy as all hell

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    My gear is still less than 60 chaos in total and my links/gems are poorly arranged but so far Spellslinger-Volatile-Detonate is just erasing things. I don't need Infernal Cry and should probably switch to Enduring.

Absalon on
    As someone who has played a gazillion Vortex/Occultist builds I can recommend this guide. It appears to updated for Winterbrand so it might be even better. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2661120

― Marcus Aurelius

i will helpfully recommend the exact opposite and say just do whatever u want experiment and expect ur first few characters to be a bit write-offy

build guides tend to channel people a bit into the idea that there even is a "meta" or that character sheet dps or whatever matters when really the game is just about playing around with the systems, exploring and figuring out ur own goals

obF2Wuw.png
    I guess I'd say that I have never been a hardcore ARPG player, but when I played games I like to either play characters that can jump into battle and scatter my enemies, like a D2 barbarian, or characters that can drop lots of fiery AoE.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

That would be awesome. I know I can google this stuff but I don't really know how to distinguish the good stuff from the crap.

https://youtu.be/DKoOwPnULM0

Suggestions for starter builds for Harvest based on his past builds and what has been nerfed/buffed. I've ran 3 of the 4 recommended builds in the past two leagues and they're pretty decent, not bleeding edge meta, but solid.

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2020
    If that cyclone intices you there is another option that is typically more beginner friendly. Good ol unwavering stance ngamahu axe cycloner. The axe unsocketed is going for 1c right now. Just have to get 6 socket with your currency and you can go chieftan and spin to win while throwing out little fireballs.

Here is the forum thread for this build. Quite complete too.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2092338

Jubal77 on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

When I first started I had a bad internet connection and didnt know what to do on the passive tree so I just picked everything that said minions on it.

Turns out I liked the playstyle and it's perfectly legitimate to do.

As long as you dont mind picking up loot, this game will have something for you.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice and resources, folks. I feel like I have a lot of good stuff to work with now. Maybe I'll see you in harvest league!

I guess I'd say that I have never been a hardcore ARPG player, but when I played games I like to either play characters that can jump into battle and scatter my enemies, like a D2 barbarian, or characters that can drop lots of fiery AoE.

Its a little complicated, but spellslinger fireball is supposedly really strong this league. You socket spellslinger and fireball in the same item, and whenever you swing your wand your character automatically casts fireball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UvAsPxctMY

That sounds sick as hell. I love it.

What stats do bow attack mines inherit? Is increased asp doing anything? I assume the other physical stacking mods work, and I know the +gems is always great, but I doubt I'm going to get +gems from the harvest crafting except through sheer luck on a chaos spam. Also, the "guide" says with totem, it there a reason blight totem with spreading rot wouldn't be better?

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2883564
    • Due to a longer development period (14 weeks instead of the usual 13), Harvest is only going for 12 weeks instead of the usual 13 as to not throw off the timeline for the rest of the year
    • 3.12 is larger than Harvest, should hit in September earlier than usual due to the shorter Harvest league
    • 3.13 should still happen in December, and may be earlier as well
    • PoE2 beta not in 2020 due to issues with the pandemic throwing off work schedule
    • Mac OS port planned for sometime this year, due to the advances with the Vulkan renderer

Crippl3 on
    I'm like level 24 and I already kinda hate the harvest mechanic. I went all in during leveling which is always a bad idea (although in this case not dangerous). I think I'll ignore until maps and then read a guide.

― Marcus Aurelius

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I'm like level 24 and I already kinda hate the harvest mechanic. I went all in during leveling which is always a bad idea (although in this case not dangerous). I think I'll ignore until maps and then read a guide.

How big of a pain is planting and stuff with the controller?

Carpy wrote: »

How big of a pain is planting and stuff with the controller?

Not an issue as far as I can tell.

― Marcus Aurelius

That sounds sick as hell. I love it.

Also, he has a video leveling a relatively similar Spellslinger Volatile Dead where he tries to go through and discuss most of the things he's doing. Its not the most in depth, because as he mentions it would take a really long time to try and do a "tutorial" style video, but its more of a "here is a good idea of how I play this build from start to the end of the primary story".