As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sGD6OqWG5E

Dat Mirage heirloom.....

Also looks like Lifeline is getting a buff!

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sGD6OqWG5E

Dat Mirage heirloom.....

Also looks like Lifeline is getting a buff!

If she can do it looks like she can do that's going to be awesome!

steam_sig.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Apex is coming to Steam and ... Switch! With crossplay!!

edited June 2020
    I'm amazed they got it running on switch but I'm assuming it'll suffer some fidelity reductions

Still very cool, I look forward to my skins being on all platforms and playing Apex in portable mode

Local H Jay on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    so excited to kill people running at 15fps

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    so excited to kill people running at 15fps

Hey it might get to 25 if you turn it low

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    It's using the same engine as Titanfall, right? Basically a tuned-up Source engine? Should be able to run it on just about anything smoothly, it's not like the PC version is a pinnacle of visual fidelity anyway.

It's using the same engine as Titanfall, right? Basically a tuned-up Source engine? Should be able to run it on just about anything smoothly, it's not like the PC version is a pinnacle of visual fidelity anyway.

How does Overwatch run? Honestly that's like the closest analog probably

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Lifeline's rework sounds great

Her drone gets a shield and revives downed friendlies. Not sure if ita keeping the healing, but I'd assume it would.

Her new Ult is a mobile respawn beacon.

Sounds pretty great to me.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    did they go in details on lifeline's ult? the mobile respawn in the trailer is an inventory item for the new event that will be added to the regular loot pool afterwards. I wouldn't be against lifeline getting a rechargeable one though

did they go in details on lifeline's ult? the mobile respawn in the trailer is an inventory item for the new event that will be added to the regular loot pool afterwards. I wouldn't be against lifeline getting a rechargeable one though

I thought I had read it's confirmed, but might just be a rumor. Can't find where I read it now

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The developers explicitly announced the mobile respawn beacon as an item that is coming in with the event, and will be going to ranked/unranked afterwards.

I'm thinking it's unlikely that they make someone's alt literally a drop as well.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited June 2020
    Forar wrote: »
    The developers explicitly announced the mobile respawn beacon as an item that is coming in with the event, and will be going to ranked/unranked afterwards.

I'm thinking it's unlikely that they make someone's alt literally a drop as well.

OTOH many (all?) of their events have featured mechanics clearly meant as tests for future content/abilities. Maybe we're seeing the next Champion's Ult?

ObiFett on
    edited June 2020
    It's unclear to me how much of this is earnable by playing the game vs here's limited store items/packs. This is my first event with the game

It reads like you can earn everything by doing the quests. But ive played enough games to know not to believe that until proven otherwise

initiatefailure on
    edited June 2020
    It's unclear to me how much of this is earnable by playing the game vs here's limited store items/packs. This is my first event with the game

It reads like you can earn everything by doing the quests. But ive played enough games to know not to believe that until proven otherwise

Recently their events have

- A free reward track with a couple cosmetics, packs, weapon charm, and a badge.
    - A set of 20ish cosmetics that are only obtainable if you spend real money on the event packs.
    - A new heirloom that is obtainable if you get all of the real money cosmetics.

So, very little is earnable by just playing the game. But you do get a few things for free

ObiFett on
    Had an extremely fun match where we dropped and waived off our initial approach due to a slow jump master, moving instead to Capacitor, which had plentiful loot and let us prep for a bit. We were then approached by two teams, and we murdered much of them, right as the ring closed. Our Wraith got knocked, revived, then killed and I recovered her banner and killed two dudes all while the ring started to damage us. Pathfinder and I recover, we respawn Loba at Cage, only for a team at Cage to fight us. I try to save Wraith but am too slow, and I can't get knocks even though I break shields. Pathfinder recovers the Wraith banner again and he runs while I try to take potshots but still fail to knock.

I run, dodging and weaving to avoid fire from the team from Cage, as well as avoiding a major third party gun-fight I teleport right past, eventually returning to my team as Wraith drops again. We gear her up and take on two more teams in the middle of the river, defending a house from murderous Legends. Somehow we survive and run and retreat and take more positions on river as the ring closes again, further locking the battle to the river right outside of market with a remarkable 7 teams remaining. We fight, knock, retreat, get new houses, evenutally kill the Cage team in the lone building of the ring.

Enemies keep coming with us doing back-to-back fighting protecting our two doorways and bunny hopping and reviving and healing and covering fire and continuing to murder and whittle our way down, running out resources but scavenging bodies of the foolish dead. Eventually we get to the point where the next ring is just a tiny circle outside with somehow four teams left, and we make a push outside to get into a 3v1v1v1 fight, easily steamrolling the remaining team-mates whose friends we had previously murdered and I clinch the win with probably one of my top 3 games.
    of3t9x20gho5.jpg

I know for really good players an 8 kill / 1200 damage game isn't all that much to write home about. But it was damn fine fun and constant fights/recoveries/skin of our teeth survival, and while I don't think I'll ever get 2k damage it felt like it.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Fuuuuu, that's rough! I feel like there should be a badge for landing on 1999 exactly!

In other news, there's a fairly strong rumour that Lifeline is going to be getting a re-work and by the looks of things huge buff.

https://www.thegamer.com/apex-legends-lifeline-is-getting-a-crazy-buff/

Edit: Huh, looks like I missed like a page of posts. Still yay Lifeline!

Campy on
    ObiFett wrote: »

Recently their events have

- A free reward track with a couple cosmetics, packs, weapon charm, and a badge.
    - A set of 20ish cosmetics that are only obtainable if you spend real money on the event packs.
    - A new heirloom that is obtainable if you get all of the real money cosmetics.

So, very little is earnable by just playing the game. But you do get a few things for free

Here's the release.

"The Lost Treasures Collection Event brings another set of 24 themed, limited-time cosmetics to Apex Legends. All 24 items will be available through direct purchase (for Apex Coins or Crafting Metals) and in Event Apex Packs for the entire duration of the event. Each Event Pack will come with one event item and two non-event items at the following drop rates."

Not having drop rates listed makes me think there's a revision snag somewhere in the mix. I'm guessing one would need to have a staggering crafting material backlog to make many of them, but it sounds like they're not purely pay to own.

Is this a change from their previous events? Or do they just cost 10,000 crafting materials apiece or something absurd like that, making it only technically true?

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Is this a change from their previous events? Or do they just cost 10,000 crafting materials apiece or something absurd like that, making it only technically true?

In the time I played last season, there were two different event structures in terms of Reward Acquisition; one was "you absolutely have to buy loot boxes to acquire things" and the other was like this, where you could theoretically acquire them via crafting mats.

And I say "theoretically" because most of the stuff you'll covet will be Legendary, which means they cost 1,200 crafting bits, and unless you've been playing hundreds of hours each season since release, you will not likely have many multiples of 1,200 crafting bits (or even just that much).

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

In the time I played last season, there were two different event structures in terms of Reward Acquisition; one was "you absolutely have to buy loot boxes to acquire things" and the other was like this, where you could theoretically acquire them via crafting mats.

And I say "theoretically" because most of the stuff you'll covet will be Legendary, which means they cost 1,200 crafting bits, and unless you've been playing hundreds of hours each season since release, you will not likely have many multiples of 1,200 crafting bits (or even just that much).

Also I believe the event legendaries are actually 2400 to craft - not 1200 like the normal legendaries in the game.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    I'm amazed they got it running on switch but I'm assuming it'll suffer some fidelity reductions

Still very cool, I look forward to my skins being on all platforms and playing Apex in portable mode

Bad News: From what I remember them saying the accounts aren't multi-platform in so far as skins and unlocks. Apparently something to do with how their engine works. They said they would love for it to be different but at the moment it wasn't something they could fix.

So you can cross play, but each system has to have its own account and its own unlocks.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    squall99x wrote: »

Bad News: From what I remember them saying the accounts aren't multi-platform in so far as skins and unlocks. Apparently something to do with how their engine works. They said they would love for it to be different but at the moment it wasn't something they could fix.

So you can cross play, but each system has to have its own account and its own unlocks.

I call BS. The "Engine" as they call it will just be a fucking database table with some values set. It's 100% just so they can get people to double dip on items.

I'm glad they made the event gear actually purchasable, even if it's mega expensive. Missing out on the best pathfinder skin by miles because I'm not willing to fucking gamble is rather annoying.

Campy on
    Campy wrote: »
    squall99x wrote: »

I call BS. The "Engine" as they call it will just be a fucking database table with some values set. It's 100% just so they can get people to double dip on items.

I'm glad they made the event gear actually purchasable, even if it's mega expensive. Missing out on the best pathfinder skin by miles because I'm not willing to fucking gamble is rather annoying.

Yeah, I dunno all the ins and outs. I just know that it was something that was brought up on reddit the other day and had been mentioned a while back.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

I know for really good players an 8 kill / 1200 damage game isn't all that much to write home about. But it was damn fine fun and constant fights/recoveries/skin of our teeth survival, and while I don't think I'll ever get 2k damage it felt like it.

i mean i think that's good enough if you won because the maps are also a lot different and we're far from the days when the whole lobby would drop bunker or skull town and really good players could very well mop up 1/3rd of the lobbies by themselves

like, yeah, will a really good player constantly on the hunt for gunfire do better? sure, because they have the skill to survive those huge all out brawls and win individual duels easily, but I don't think that devalues a normal player pulling out a win with decent stats.

on that note, queued up with duos for one of the friends i normally play with because i invited both my friends who were already in a group, one left to join me, and the other got matchmade into a game because he hadn't unreadied and the first friend leaving meant that everyone was now readied up and in queue

then we did this after having a variety of silly things happen
    unknown.png?width=1121&height=631
    his higher damage was because he grabbed a gold Longbow off one of the first teams we beat whereas I had a gold Spitfire from the train and was responsible for pushing and doing close/mid suppressive fire

Orphane on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Man, the story missions really are more fun solo (by virtue of actually being tense and mildly challenging). I hope they build on this foundation, it feels like a good addition to the game.

When the ranked split happens, what do they mean by “a rank and a half”?

Like, if I’m Gold 4 would that put me half way between Silver 1 and 2?

When the ranked split happens, what do they mean by “a rank and a half”?

Like, if I’m Gold 4 would that put me half way between Silver 1 and 2?

Yep.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    So Titanfall 2 is on Steam now and man, I'd forgotten why I like this so much more the Apex. Back to real mobility again plus epic giant robot fights, without having to wait 5-10 minutes between fights and with 30-minute matches being 85% nothing happening. And you get to pick all your favorite loadouts without having to hope you find worthwhile stuff and there are modes that let you focus on pilot/Titan/PvE combat for whatever your current preference might be.

I definitely don't see myself going back to Apex now.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    So Titanfall 2 is on Steam now and man, I'd forgotten why I like this so much more the Apex. Back to real mobility again plus epic giant robot fights, without having to wait 5-10 minutes between fights and with 30-minute matches being 85% nothing happening. And you get to pick all your favorite loadouts without having to hope you find worthwhile stuff and there are modes that let you focus on pilot/Titan/PvE combat for whatever your current preference might be.

What is the player base like?

They are completely different games. Sounds like you just don't enjoy the Battle Royale genre since all of your complaints are pretty specific to the genre.

Titanfall is definitely more fun moment to moment but Apex encourages gunskill and spatial awareness more than running around like a monkey. Both are excellent experiences. Also the movement in Apex is better than most battle royales because of the pedigree

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Patch notes for tomorrow are up, the legend changes continue to be both smart and spicy:
    LEGEND UPDATES
    Lifeline

Passive
    Combat Revive now replaces Combat Medic.
    Deploy D.O.C to revive teammates. D.O.C. will deploy a shield and revive Lifeline’s teammate, leaving Lifeline free to defend or revive someone else.
    This fully replaces Lifeline’s old passive, including Fast Heal
    Tactical
    Lifeline’s Tactical cooldown is now 45 seconds (was 60 seconds).
    Ultimate
    Lifeline’s Care Package now contains more items
    Care Package will contain 3x more small healing items, when it decides to spawn small healing items
    Care Package will contain 2x more attachments, when it decides to spawn attachments

Octane

Tactical
    Upon activation, Stim will remove movement impairing effects.
    Stim sprinting speed is increased by 10%
    Ultimate
    Players can now double jump in mid-air after using Octane’s Launch Pad
    Players can change direction easily from the double jump.

Revenant

Tactical
    Will now cancel:
    Pathfinder mid-grapple
    Wraith mid-Phase Walk attempt (before Phase Walk activates)
    Will now prevent:
    Mirage cloaked revive
    Mirage decoy control activation
    Lifeline combat revive
    Ultimate
    Range removed on Death Totem

Crypto

Tactical
    Deploying Hack (Crypto’s Drone) now takes 1.5 seconds (from 2.5 seconds)
    Ultimate
    EMP will now disable Wattson’s Pylons.

Loba

Tactical
    Burglar’s Best Friend will no longer be intercepted by Watton's Interception Pylon.
    Ultimate
    Black Market Boutique (ultimate) will now only pick up 1 stack of ammo (rather than 1 stack + the amount that was required to fill whatever partial stack you had in your inventory).
    Ultimate Accelerants now give 20% ult charge (up from 17.5%).

Mirage

Tactical
    You can now hold the tactical button, and release to auto-control decoys
    Decoys will now say lines when shot
    Passive
    When cloaked, Mirage’s holo emitters will be visible to players that are less than 5 meters away
    Skydive
    Will now create decoys for the entire squad when skydiving when still diving with your squad.

Gibraltar

Fast Heal granted inside the Dome Shield, slowed down: 25% faster -> 15% faster

Caustic

Enemies can cancel Caustic’s barrel by shooting it before it is fully inflated.

Wattson

The intent of these changes is to create openings where enemies can breach Wattson positions. It is still possible for Wattson players to hold a position with a trophy indefinitely, but that should come at the cost of using Ultimate Accelerants.

Wattson’s Pylons now last for 90 seconds
    Wattson can now have up to 3 pylons out at a time
    Wattson can stack 2 Ultimate accelerants per inventory slot

Wraith

Increasing Wraith’s tactical cooldown has proven to be ineffective at curbing her exceedingly high win rate and kill rate. These changes are meant to disincentivize Wraith players from using Phase Walk as a “get out of jail free” card, and move it into more of a repositioning and scouting ability.

Phase Walk
    Phase Walk now takes 1.25 seconds to enable (was 0.4 seconds). During this time, Wraith will receive a 20% move slow
    This does not affect Phase Walk while placing a Phase Portal
    While in Phase Walk, Wraith now gets a 30% move speed boost
    While in Phase Walk, Wraith can now see other players while in the Void.
    Phase Walk now lasts 4 seconds (from 3 seconds)
    Phase walk cooldown is now down to 25 (from 35 seconds)
    Phase Tunnel
    Decreased distance for portal placement by 25%.

Peen wrote: »
    Patch notes for tomorrow are up, the legend changes continue to be both smart and spicy:
    LEGEND UPDATES
    Lifeline

Passive
    Combat Revive now replaces Combat Medic.
    Deploy D.O.C to revive teammates. D.O.C. will deploy a shield and revive Lifeline’s teammate, leaving Lifeline free to defend or revive someone else.
    This fully replaces Lifeline’s old passive, including Fast Heal
    Tactical
    Lifeline’s Tactical cooldown is now 45 seconds (was 60 seconds).
    Ultimate
    Lifeline’s Care Package now contains more items
    Care Package will contain 3x more small healing items, when it decides to spawn small healing items
    Care Package will contain 2x more attachments, when it decides to spawn attachments

Octane

Tactical
    Upon activation, Stim will remove movement impairing effects.
    Stim sprinting speed is increased by 10%
    Ultimate
    Players can now double jump in mid-air after using Octane’s Launch Pad
    Players can change direction easily from the double jump.

Revenant

Tactical
    Will now cancel:
    Pathfinder mid-grapple
    Wraith mid-Phase Walk attempt (before Phase Walk activates)
    Will now prevent:
    Mirage cloaked revive
    Mirage decoy control activation
    Lifeline combat revive
    Ultimate
    Range removed on Death Totem

Crypto

Tactical
    Deploying Hack (Crypto’s Drone) now takes 1.5 seconds (from 2.5 seconds)
    Ultimate
    EMP will now disable Wattson’s Pylons.

Loba

Tactical
    Burglar’s Best Friend will no longer be intercepted by Watton's Interception Pylon.
    Ultimate
    Black Market Boutique (ultimate) will now only pick up 1 stack of ammo (rather than 1 stack + the amount that was required to fill whatever partial stack you had in your inventory).
    Ultimate Accelerants now give 20% ult charge (up from 17.5%).

Mirage

Tactical
    You can now hold the tactical button, and release to auto-control decoys
    Decoys will now say lines when shot
    Passive
    When cloaked, Mirage’s holo emitters will be visible to players that are less than 5 meters away
    Skydive
    Will now create decoys for the entire squad when skydiving when still diving with your squad.

Gibraltar

Fast Heal granted inside the Dome Shield, slowed down: 25% faster -> 15% faster

Caustic

Enemies can cancel Caustic’s barrel by shooting it before it is fully inflated.

Wattson

The intent of these changes is to create openings where enemies can breach Wattson positions. It is still possible for Wattson players to hold a position with a trophy indefinitely, but that should come at the cost of using Ultimate Accelerants.

Wattson’s Pylons now last for 90 seconds
    Wattson can now have up to 3 pylons out at a time
    Wattson can stack 2 Ultimate accelerants per inventory slot

Wraith

Increasing Wraith’s tactical cooldown has proven to be ineffective at curbing her exceedingly high win rate and kill rate. These changes are meant to disincentivize Wraith players from using Phase Walk as a “get out of jail free” card, and move it into more of a repositioning and scouting ability.

Phase Walk
    Phase Walk now takes 1.25 seconds to enable (was 0.4 seconds). During this time, Wraith will receive a 20% move slow
    This does not affect Phase Walk while placing a Phase Portal
    While in Phase Walk, Wraith now gets a 30% move speed boost
    While in Phase Walk, Wraith can now see other players while in the Void.
    Phase Walk now lasts 4 seconds (from 3 seconds)
    Phase walk cooldown is now down to 25 (from 35 seconds)
    Phase Tunnel
    Decreased distance for portal placement by 25%.

Loving these Octane changes

That nerf to Lifeline's fast heal is gonna hurt. Will see if revive thing makes up for it, but ouch.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    That nerf to Lifeline's fast heal is gonna hurt. Will see if revive thing makes up for it, but ouch.
    I'm thinking about it, and it might be really good. Like, reviving a teammate during a firefight is super risky, but if you pull it off it can win fights by undoing a ton of the enemy's attrition. And with this change, rezzing as Lifeline is nearly free.

BlazeFire wrote: »

What is the player base like?

Steam shows some 10k players peak, but I dunno what that means necessarily. I didn't have any trouble finding games, but I've only been playing for a couple days. It's still on sale for ten bucks, which is a steal for the excellent campaign alone.
    ObiFett wrote: »
    They are completely different games. Sounds like you just don't enjoy the Battle Royale genre since all of your complaints are pretty specific to the genre.
    Yeah, I definitely only played Apex because it was vaguely like the Titanfall combat. I'd just completely forgotten how much more I enjoyed being able to just get a match going and play instead of investing twenty minutes before a match gets decently exciting. Balancing the Titans for a BR mode probably isn't a realistic expectation, but after trying TF2 again I can definitely say that the lack of the crazy mobility in Apex alone is going to put me off the game.
    Titanfall is definitely more fun moment to moment but Apex encourages gunskill and spatial awareness more than running around like a monkey. Both are excellent experiences. Also the movement in Apex is better than most battle royales because of the pedigree

I'd have to contend that Titanfall 2 is the more demanding of spatial awareness of the two, seeing as almost all combat in Apex happens in relatively 2D planes; the most vertical the combat usually gets is one group peaking over a higher point than another group, often with the low group having perhaps no way to even reach the upper group without a special ability or enormous detour. Playing and fighting pilots in TF2 has a huge amount of verticality and you can almost never rule out that somebody can't reach your position or drop some area-denial weapon into it, so you constantly have to watch as many angles as possible. The Titan combat is much more restricted, but they still have to worry about whether or not you're missing an enemy pilot underfoot or if somebody is coming down at you from a hundred feet up.

And yes, Apex is still definitely good at what it does. It was the first of the BR games where I felt like it wasn't just alpha shit being thrown at players until the next BR game took over with the same cycle; I thought it was just going to be crude BR with assets ripped from Titanfall but nope, they really put in the effort to solidly tune things from the start and just got better from there.

When you can reposition in seconds, you don't have to think so much about your next move. When it takes longer than 5/10/20 seconds to cross great distances you really actually have to be more spatially aware than if you were gonna go Rambo down a hallway, do some backflips, toss some C4 and then die to a robot falling from the sky. It aint the same thing. My most rewarding moments in Titanfall weren't putting up a victory, but pulling off ridiculous kills and generally being a crackhead. In turn, the gameplay in Apex I think is harder because it requires patience, knowledge of the map, looking around near and far for enemies, looting up, etc. There's a whole different set of skills to succeed in a Battle Royale whereas dying once or twice (o even more than that) times in Titanfall isn't gonna cost your team the game. In that way, Titanfall feels more badass because you aren't punished as much for trying crazy shit.

My crowning moment in Titanfall:
    https://youtu.be/iKX-gbuVRMw

My crowning moment in Apex:
    https://youtu.be/nuFBeSg-KGI

edited June 2020
    Hot damn some of these event cosmetics are fantastic, and I'm mad that I used crafting materials on a Bloodhood emote in the last event (and a Bangalore legendary since then), because that Lifeline and that Wraith and that Revenant....

Also it's nice to have a sniper knockdown challenge with the mode where you only have snipers and shotguns.

Zombie Gandhi on
    heh yeah I'm definitely using this mode to get my sentinel knocks/shotgun knocks/mastiff kills challenge that I've been neglecting

Welp, I remembered how terrible I am at this mode seeing as I suck with snipers and people map me when I can't hit a large vehicle.

Gonna be a long grind for these customization items.