As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed] To fight the horde, sing and cry

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Elise was the real protagonist of unity

Having her be the main character would have been great, because she always knew there was something going on, at least.

Arno, meanwhile, has something incredibly important happen in the background, and he doesn't even notice.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    So I decided the game+season pass DLC for 30 was irresistible.

Just leaving Kephallonia, and Kassandra is so much fun.

Edit: Barnabas' necklace is clearly something. They better let me see it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Fuuuuuuuck the Kaledonian Boar.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The fart boar was the only legendary animal that gave me any challenge.

Unfortunately ‘challenge’ didn’t make it fun.

• Options
    I feel like the timings are super bullshit.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I pretty much hated fighting every single legendary beast and every single monster, mostly because it just wasn't fun having to run up, stab them a couple of times, then frantically run away/dodge while I waited for my abilities to recharge, especially when you got some of them down to 50% and they started doing super attacks. Second Wind is pretty invaluable for those fights (and, I admit, I finally gave up and dropped the difficulty to easy).

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    My secret to taking down the hunts on Hard and Nightmare, gear and engrave specifically for hunter damage, damage vs. animals, and elemental buildup. It helps to have a bow with a chance to not use special arrows, but isn't strictly necessary if you have lots of crafting materials.

Start by launching poison arrows, headshotting if you can, but make sure every arrow makes contact. This'll blunt their attack power and if you have an extended duration perks they pay major dividends in these long ass fights. Once the poison effect is engaged and ticking switch to fire arrows and get burning going for consistent DoT.

While doing all of this keep at range and in the hunt arena so its health doesn't have a chance to reset. If it's a hunt that you can stun then close in for a melee combo or two when you can, but otherwise shoot and move. When the hunts start spawning adds, bring out explosive arrows and overpower bow shots to take them out in groups.

If you can keep both elemental effects up and stick and move, you can burn down most of them in about 5-7 minutes or so.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    I pretty much hated fighting every single legendary beast and every single monster, mostly because it just wasn't fun having to run up, stab them a couple of times, then frantically run away/dodge while I waited for my abilities to recharge, especially when you got some of them down to 50% and they started doing super attacks. Second Wind is pretty invaluable for those fights (and, I admit, I finally gave up and dropped the difficulty to easy).

They did feel like they were designed for Hunters. Standing back, plinking with poison arrows, dodging charges and getting slow motion attacks in, stuff like that.

Fighting them as a Hunter was a dance.

Fighting the fart boar was a chore.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    There's one armor and weapon set I've been experimenting with and having a blast, the Helios/Radiant set.

It features a bow that grants 600% adrenaline, but lights you on fire on a successful parry. Why would you do that, you ask?! Because while you're on fire you get a flat 200% damage bonus to all types and anything else you might have gets calculated after the 200% boost. So rocking a Falx of Olympious with the set is 400% damage to all types.

Stack some +health and fire resistance engravings on (the set has 40% fire resist built in), torch yourself and then lay waste to all before you, with more than enough time to either extinguish yourself or use a Second Wind (you'll have adrenaline to spare).

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    This is the very first legendary beast, so the only annoying ability they have is the herd of piggies that stunlock me when I am not paying attention to me. Also, hates to be shot at with arrows.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Radiant set also looks baddass:
    f34zg6ebs871.jpg

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Once I got my full venom set, I never looked back.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Once I got my full venom set, I never looked back.

Venom set is fantastic early and mid-storyline, I used it for a good 30 hours and several upgrade cycles (my main save file is a Hard/Nightmare run at just over 160 hours and Kassandra is up to level 90). Its one of the earliest and easiest sets you can complete via killing cultists and the enemy damage weakening effect of poison is almost always effective, outside of fart boar and a couple of arena matches.

Not the most stylish of the cultist sets, but with being able to alter appearances on anything now that's no longer an issue.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Well, at least I learned that Sparta Kick heals.

Finally killed the pig by kicking it in its stupid face.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Kick does have diminishing returns on it's damage as you continue to level up, but even late in the game it's great for clearing the perimeters and walls of large forts and places like quarries and mines. Line up a brute or fully armored hoplite with a convenient railing or ledge and go "THIS IS SPARTA!" and let gravity do the rest. Any drop over 2 stories or so will kill anything short of a champion or boss level enemy.

Just make sure to follow up and loot tbe corpse after you cleanse the rest of the area.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Kick does have diminishing returns on it's damage as you continue to level up, but even late in the game it's great for clearing the perimeters and walls of large forts and places like quarries and mines. Line up a brute or fully armored hoplite with a convenient railing or ledge and go "THIS IS SPARTA!" and let gravity do the rest. Any drop over 2 stories or so will kill anything short of a champion or boss level enemy.

Just make sure to follow up and loot tbe corpse after you cleanse the rest of the area.

Plus it looks cool, there's a reason this screenshot is in my wallpaper rotation folder

b39t9xwcdmfy.jpg

I should note that I never found this man's body but it was 100% worth it

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I wish they would add more like environmental interactables to future games, with both assassinations and combat. Something like sleeping dogs where you can finish off enemies by like slamming their heads into tables, impaling on sconces, and such and so forth. And like assassinations that are more Hitman like using environment traps

They have some but not enough, and it would help to add variety to the same finisher happening over and over again.

Prohass on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    There's a little bit of a step towards Hitman style opportunities in Unity then they vanish again which is a shame because I bet there's a lot of neat stuff in that space.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Also, if they actually want me to be sneaky & stealthy, they need to give me more ways to do so. There were multiple missions where I'm supposed to retrieve an item from a fort or talk to someone who's imprisoned in a fort, and there's essentially no way to get in & out without leaving bodies stacked like cordwood; or I'm supposed to gank somebody who's walking around in a city, and they're just standing in the middle of a crowded marketplace, so all I can do is walk right up to them and stab them in front of all of the (surprisingly hard-hitting) civilians.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The civilians attacking you mechanic is something that kind of makes sense in theory, but in practice just looks ridiculous as you watch your fully armoured warrior god/goddess just fucking brutalise and horrendously murder a bunch of men in rags with like broomsticks and women in like dresses try to fist fight you. It always looks so odd. They should just run and get guards

Prohass on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Sparta Kick never stopped being fun for me.
    That said, I'm coming back to this after going though Origins, and the muscle memory is killing me in a lot of fights.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    The civilians attacking you mechanic is something that kind of makes sense in theory, but in practice just looks ridiculous as you watch your fully armoured warrior god/goddess just fucking brutalise and horrendously murder a bunch of men in rags with like broomsticks and women in like dresses try to fist fight you. It always looks so odd. They should just run and get guards

Yep. Although there's been at least once instance where I got mobbed by civvies and badly wounded (if not killed) because there were too many of them and they hit really hard. Then again, one time I also almost got killed by a flock of particularly aggressive chickens -- one of those things where all of a sudden your life bar is flashing read and it's like "WTF?!!?"

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

Yeah, I always thought that was dumb. These stupid farmers running up to you, a renowned murder princess.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Isn’t it pretty much the same way in every game though?

“Hey Ed, someone’s coming up the road, think we should try to rob him?”

“I dunno, what’s he look like?”

“Well, he’s wearing some kind of power armor that looks like a Space Marine fell into a lightbulb factory, he’s carrying a gun that it looks like he tore off a helicopter, and with him it looks like he’s got the most roided out supermutant I have ever seen with a big ass powered sledgehammer”

“What have we got?”

“Well it looks like we have some guns we made out of pipes and screws, a few pool cues and shovels, and some random makeshift armor we hammered together out of pots and pans and football equipment”

“Sounds good, lets get ‘em”

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

“Well, he’s wearing some kind of power armor that looks like a Space Marine fell into a lightbulb factory, he’s carrying a gun that it looks like he tore off a helicopter, and with him it looks like he’s got the most roided out supermutant I have ever seen with a big ass powered sledgehammer”

“What have we got?”

“Well it looks like we have some guns we made out of pipes and screws, a few pool cues and shovels, and some random makeshift armor we hammered together out of pots and pans and football equipment”

Yea that's an oft noted thing.

But this being random villagers makes it even MORE silly.

It's like they took that commonly goofy thing from other games and made even goofier for... reasons?

• Options

“What have we got?”

Yea that's an oft noted thing.

But this being random villagers makes it even MORE silly.

It's like they took that commonly goofy thing from other games and made even goofier for... reasons?

I remember one thing I loved about witcher 3 was how much Geralt would lampshade the hell out of those kinds of situations.

• Options
    I got attacked by a chicken in one town, and I have no idea how I aggro'd it.
    But I didn't want to defend myself in case it set all the villagers off and caused an accidental mass murder (again), so my level 42 Eagle Bearer ran the fuck away from a chicken.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    But I didn't want to defend myself in case it set all the villagers off and caused an accidental mass murder (again), so my level 42 Eagle Bearer ran the fuck away from a chicken.

Chicken chaser!

• Options
    There are still few things as satisfying as Sparta Kicking someone off a very high cliff.
    Unless it's a Cult Sage with just enough health to survive the fall, only to find that they landed right in front of a lion.

• Options
    There are still few things as satisfying as Sparta Kicking someone off a very high cliff.
    Unless it's a Cult Sage with just enough health to survive the fall, only to find that they landed right in front of a lion.

I'll have to check my captures when I get home from work. One of my best cult kills was that effete wuss Brison on the Isle of Salamis. I whittled down his bodyguards and chased his ass to the roof of a temple downtown and kicked him off just to Athena's left. She appeared pleased with this result.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

There's a small island near Naxos that has an Alpha Animal objective that is essentially el Pollo Diablo from the Monkey Island games. It is not to be trifled with.

Should you take it down, your reward is a heavy blunt called the Poultry Pestle.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Well chickens do occasionally maul or kill people in real life. Its not particularly common at all, but it happens once every few years (most often with fighting cocks, but there have been a few instances of normal chickens causing serious injury or even killing. There was an australian lady pecked to death by a rooster just a couple of years ago.)

Turkeys, on the other hand, turkeys will absolutely fuck you up.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    So I decided to try assassins creed 3 remastered. I bounced off the old one pretty hard..

Its really not that bad now that I am to the actual open world parts, but I have to wonder who thought it was a good idea to begin their open world game with *6 hours* of non-open world exposition.

I don’t mind Connor as much as some people apparently do though.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I finally sat down and went through Syndicate. And while it was good, I feel like it'll suffer the same fate as Unity, in that nothing stood out and I'll forget most everything in it. It's also another unintended knock against the French Revolution, as Victorian London is more memorable. But still nothing really interesting happens in it.

The Jack the Ripper DLC I started though... day-um. This thing is swinging for the fences. This is already so much more grimmer and darker than the base game. And I think I'm loving it. At the very least I'm going to remember this far more than the regular story.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The Ripper DLC and Dickens slap hard and Evie is tied with Kassandra for my favorite protagonist in the series.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Shit, I just realized I never did the last 2 chapters or Fate of Atlantis, I shall rectify that tonight and tomorrow.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Evie absolutely rules, this is known.

Especially fight club Evie

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    I loved Syndicate, but that may be largely due to loving London and getting a kick out of the recreation of it.
    And yeah, the fight club finishers were brutal. There's just no way some of those men survived, especially given the healthcare of the time.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    This is going to sound painfully reductful, but I thought Evie was just "standard female protagonist". Now that's a good thing. We absolutely need more of those. Just that in terms of the game, I didn't feel like she stood out in any real way. You know that picture out there, of every male game protagonist, and they all look exactly the same? One day when we get the female version of that, I think Evie is going to be on that.

Now Jack the Ripper Evie on the other hand. We're playing as a 40 year old, visibly aged woman. That's interesting. When the hell has that ever happened? And then add that on to the new fight mechanics going on, where said 40 year old woman is just brutally beating down thugs and making everyone around her flee in pure terror.

It's all contributing to the reason why I'll probably remember "JtR" over regular Syndicate.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."