As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Noooooooooooooooo! :(

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I was worried he would leave the overlay on for Torchlight III but luckily he didn't. Guess it was only C+C Remastered because of the low resolution.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Jeff is apparently in his garage for this EA stream (I'm guessing due to baby reasons) and he's difinitely making use of the available material.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    That skate "4ever" announcement is a scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Super Mario Galaxy with Astronaut Abby!

Interesting choice.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

Did they say anything to suggest it's not just the Skate 3 for mobile that leaked a couple months ago?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    agoaj wrote: »

Did they say anything to suggest it's not just the Skate 3 for mobile that leaked a couple months ago?

It was so 'avoiding the subject' that it was kind of insane. Either its so new that they basically just have those two guys and want to say something in good faith, or its a scam.

There is a further interview with those two, and basically the answer is "were making the next iteration of skate, no name yet" which is suspect, it started in the last 2 years (tracks with the news last month), "we already have some mocap"(footage of this would have gone a long way), and "There is no mobile port of skate 3 being made", which is cryptic because it was on the table, someone else could be making it, don't trust EA, etc. I don't think people would be mad if both were being made.
    http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2020/06/18/new-ea-skate-game-coming-real/

I'm hopeful, but until someone puts their foot down, its still 50/50 to me. We have years until we see anything out of this, unless its a mobile/switch port.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Just started watching Abby's Super Mario Galaxy video and jeez, that's an unpleasant-looking placement of the sensor bar.
    w15k1u8ayno6.png

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    She's turned the pointing mechanic into a dabbing mechanic.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Uhh, is she actually playing at an angle like that? There is a lot of star bit collecting!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Rehab wrote: »
    Uhh, is she actually playing at an angle like that? There is a lot of star bit collecting!

I haven't watched much of it, but she basically said she wasn't planning on doing much with the star bit collection. I'll be curious to see how that evolves!

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    They never said Skate 4. Also it's EA, so how much trust do people have in them?

I'm a little surprised it wasn't a dual announcement, of both Skate 4 and the Skate 3 mobile edition we know is being made.

People are totally jumping the gun on what is clearly either an empty promise or an announcement so early they've just started developing it.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Metal Gear Scanlon part 6 had a very satisfying conclusion with Drew taking Sniper Wolf to task when he finally beat her (no rations used!). Some of the deaths have been very entertaining too, especially the Nakita death and the trap door ones.

Its been interesting seeing this as my only experience with MGS 1 is through Twin Snakes and the differences are noticeable enough but everything is very much paced and placed the same. Dan and Drew make a really good team as well. Some of the conversations have been insane in the best way.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    They never said Skate 4. Also it's EA, so how much trust do people have in them?

I'm a little surprised it wasn't a dual announcement, of both Skate 4 and the Skate 3 mobile edition we know is being made.

People are totally jumping the gun on what is clearly either an empty promise or an announcement so early they've just started developing it.

Boo, this man. BOO!

It's going to be Skate 4 and it will be perfect. 13/10, game of the year, every year.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »

Isn't this angle of movement supposed to be the greatest risk of shoulder impingement?

Not that she'll be playing that game frequently enough for this to ever actually cause it, but still

• Options
    Metal Gear Scanlon boss fighting
    Drew beating Sniper Wolf part 2 and Vulcan Raven part 2 on his first attempts at both was quite impressive. And of course he beat Vulcan Raven with a sliver of health left just to make it as stressful for Dan and Jason as possible.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Yikes (accusation against a friend of the Site):

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    :(

Nooo. Be gutting if those allegations are true.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    i've heard that name come up a lot before but i'm not sure i've ever actually seen him in any vids or really know anything about him

good riddance if true (I kind of always assume true at this point)

• Options
    Not the first friend if the site to turn out to be a douchbag. Max Temkin of Cards Against Humanity was routinely a part of GB content for awhile, to the point of having Patrick Klepek set up a sattelite studio in the CAH offices for awhile. (Not to mention an attempted GB/CAH collaboration while Ryan was alive)

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    i've heard that name come up a lot before but i'm not sure i've ever actually seen him in any vids or really know anything about him

good riddance if true (I kind of always assume true at this point)

He's been on both Beastcast and Bombcast. He's also behind Extra Life streams logistics and usually streams too during the week the crew streams.

Edit: https://youtu.be/cVIP9YRrco8

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Not the first friend if the site to turn out to be a douchbag. Max Temkin of Cards Against Humanity was routinely a part of GB content for awhile, to the point of having Patrick Klepek set up a sattelite studio in the CAH offices for awhile. (Not to mention an attempted GB/CAH collaboration while Ryan was alive)

And, of course, there was Nick Robinson, who was an intern with Giant Bomb and went to Polygon before several accusations were made about him.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

And, of course, there was Nick Robinson, who was an intern with Giant Bomb and went to Polygon before several accusations were made about him.
    Before all of that came to light about Nick, there were also hints that he was up for the job Ben got. I believe Jeff said on his blog at one point that they were considering someone that would be a great fit and one that the community expected, but that the person assumed they already had the job and bragged about it behind the scenes and it rubbed Jeff the wrong way. That’s how I remember it without digging through old stuff.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    I momentarily blanked on Rorie's surname and got really sad before realising my mistake.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Glal wrote: »
    I momentarily blanked on Rorie's surname and got really sad before realising my mistake.

I'm sure Pascual was an asset to the crew but I don't suspect he'll be long for any remaining association with GB at all and I don't suspect he'll be missed

OTOH credible allegations against any front-facing GB members (even someone like Rorie) would be absolutely brutal, but given the maturity of most of the crew I'm glad to believe that none of them would have much chance of being a potential abuser
    That said I hope this momentum continues and more of them continue to be outed, I'm pretty sure it's an open secret that the games industry has always been this much of a cesspool

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I don't suspect he'll be missed
    isn't he the guy that runs the big GB Charity event every year? Even if he's a creepo I'm sure in that capacity he'll be missed which is a big shame

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I did the same thing except with Matt Kessler, who's even less connected to GB at this point but would've hit me harder because he just seems like such a sweetheart.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I don't suspect he'll be missed
    isn't he the guy that runs the big GB Charity event every year? Even if he's a creepo I'm sure in that capacity he'll be missed which is a big shame

i imagine they won't have too much trouble finding someone competent to take over those duties by the time it rolls around again

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

I'm sure Pascual was an asset to the crew but I don't suspect he'll be long for any remaining association with GB at all and I don't suspect he'll be missed

OTOH credible allegations against any front-facing GB members (even someone like Rorie) would be absolutely brutal, but given the maturity of most of the crew I'm glad to believe that none of them would have much chance of being a potential abuser
    That said I hope this momentum continues and more of them continue to be outed, I'm pretty sure it's an open secret that the games industry has always been this much of a cesspool

It's nothing special about the games industry. It's the general cesspool of the human race, and the patriarchy on which our society exists upon. Any industry that's dominated by men in positions of power is going to have this problem, it's just a matter of it getting out in the open and a willingness to actually change.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    hey a propos of nothing, I just want to make sure that I'm the weirdest outlier - is Unprofessional Fridays: 08/23/13 broken for anyone else? The video won't play, and the dl links lead to 404s for me

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    Yeah it's broken for me too.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    It's hard listening to Brad fumble through trying to have a statement of any kind on the podcast this week. Kudos on Jeff though.

• Options
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    It's hard listening to Brad fumble through trying to have a statement of any kind on the podcast this week. Kudos on Jeff though.

I'm way behind, but I've noticed that Brad has this tic where it sounds like he's "chuckling" through his statements which feels like it undercuts the sentiment, even though I know he isn't intending to. I don't know if he's doing that this week, of course.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I mean like... Jeff was also struggling to find his words too, he just had a lot more to say as an active participant rather than a mediator of the (admittedly very small) podcast group

It's nothing special about the games industry. It's the general cesspool of the human race, and the patriarchy on which our society exists upon. Any industry that's dominated by men in positions of power is going to have this problem, it's just a matter of it getting out in the open and a willingness to actually change.

I also assume to some degree that specifically in regards to the way the games industry does promotion and networks developers, the disappointment is more to do with the fact that rampant abuse never went away at all despite the (extremely slow and gradual) change in its public-facing image away from exploitation of sex to sell product.

Of course we know that this is a problem common across all kinds of industries (as we obviously found out with adjacent allegations within streaming/influencer/journalism circles), that's kind of a non-argument

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    It's also made worse by the fact that games is a "passion" industry, where the people struggling to get in or stay in REALLY want to make it, the number of spaces is extremely limited, and the men in power know that and take advantage of it.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I worked on the business side of the games industry for close to 10 years when I was just getting started in my career. I've never worked in a more toxic environment in my whole life. It has all the wildness and eccentricity of Hollywood but is also tied into these huge corporate structures that make it seem like a "normal job" when it is anything but.

The industry is also crazy incestuous in that it's basically a small pool of managers and execs that shift from one company to another. I guarantee people at the highest levels are well aware of all that goes on.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I worked on the business side of the games industry for close to 10 years when I was just getting started in my career. I've never worked in a more toxic environment in my whole life. It has all the wildness and eccentricity of Hollywood but is also tied into these huge corporate structures that make it seem like a "normal job" when it is anything but.

The industry is also crazy incestuous in that it's basically a small pool of managers and execs that shift from one company to another. I guarantee people at the highest levels are well aware of all that goes on.

Aren't most industries pretty incestuous?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

Aren't most industries pretty incestuous?

From what I've read over the years, it seems pretty egregious in video games, especially because it's still very much a boys club

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

This discussion has been closed.