As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »
    And I strongly recommend that, if you draw that PQ, just re-roll. The contents of the envelope is the worst bullshit.

X spoilers (which I wish I had read before opening the envelope):
    It's a riddle that, via both an augmented reality puzzle and looking at every single picture in the entire game to find clues with no indication that either is what you have to do, leads you to a website that will allow you to buy (except they're sold out) a new character class.

You can download the PDF of the cards and stuff, so have fun trying to get that printed to an acceptable quality.

Regarding the reward from Envelope X
    Frosthaven backers can order a copy of the reward as an addon, for whatever that's worth, which is apparently $15
    Is there a mini? I'd mostly want a mini. Please note: I haven't opened X yet and don't know what it is other than a class that requires jumping through some BS treasure hunt hoops.

What is this I don't even.
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    And I strongly recommend that, if you draw that PQ, just re-roll. The contents of the envelope is the worst bullshit.

X spoilers (which I wish I had read before opening the envelope):
    It's a riddle that, via both an augmented reality puzzle and looking at every single picture in the entire game to find clues with no indication that either is what you have to do, leads you to a website that will allow you to buy (except they're sold out) a new character class.

You can download the PDF of the cards and stuff, so have fun trying to get that printed to an acceptable quality.

Regarding the reward from Envelope X
    Frosthaven backers can order a copy of the reward as an addon, for whatever that's worth, which is apparently $15
    Is there a mini? I'd mostly want a mini. Please note: I haven't opened X yet and don't know what it is other than a class that requires jumping through some BS treasure hunt hoops.

Envelope X reward spoilers
    I don't know if there's a definitive answer to your question - he said yes to standees for the summons, but I don't think he's said one way or another about the mini, so I'd guess probably not :(

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Question, re: scenario 41 and 42
    The game owner apparently has a physical object that has a key for decoding the runes, but I don't see that on the list of components. Is that something we're supposed to have (already)? Where did it come from?

Regardless, I spent like half an hour this afternoon cracking the code on my own, so not a big deal, mostly just curious whether I wasted my time or not.

Fry wrote: »
    The game owner apparently has a physical object that has a key for decoding the runes, but I don't see that on the list of components. Is that something we're supposed to have (already)? Where did it come from?

Regardless, I spent like half an hour this afternoon cracking the code on my own, so not a big deal, mostly just curious whether I wasted my time or not.

It was a Kickstarter reward.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

I have a decoder, and it came with my non-KS 2nd ed of the game.

Decoded code stuff:
    It's for the x envelope and thus bullshit.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Decoded code stuff:

Oh good deal, glad they added it in

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Decoded code stuff:

Oh good deal, glad they added it in

It's just a piece of paper with runes-to-latin, so I'm sure it's floating around online somewhere, too.

Our Triforce should be retiring next time. I am eager for that character to go away.
    It just seems way too strong. Kill all regular enemies in a triangle is just nutso, even with four players where most of the enemies are elites. That attack typically gets to delete two targets, 2 or 3 times per scenario, which can be worth 20+ damage. And most of its other turns are worth 10+ damage. Just seems way more than what most of the other characters can do.

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Our Triforce should be retiring next time. I am eager for that character to go away.
    It just seems way too strong. Kill all regular enemies in a triangle is just nutso, even with four players where most of the enemies are elites. That attack typically gets to delete two targets, 2 or 3 times per scenario, which can be worth 20+ damage. And most of its other turns are worth 10+ damage. Just seems way more than what most of the other characters can do.

Have you played with Eclipse, as I find them to have similar strengths? Just wondering you found the same challenges?

I don't think we have Eclipse yet

Ok, our Triforce retired, and will be playing a Lightning Bolt next. That character looks pretty interesting, we'll see how it plays.

I got a cool item out of a treasure chest, that makes me want to pivot my entire Angry Face build. Unfortunately, the key card for the new build was skipped at a previous level, and I don't really want to pick down level cards as I'm just getting into the ridiculous cards for my chosen build. Oh well

In tonight's scenario, I drew my "no damage" card at the absolute worst time.

Angry Face character, some Prosperity 4-ish items:
    I had my my combo ready: next three times a Doomed enemy died, the doom would move to an enemy within 2; the Doom in question was "I get +2 attack against this target"; my bottom action was "+3 attack vs Doomed enemies", and I was attacking with Rain of Arrows (Attack 3 vs all enemies within 3) with Hawk Helm and Major Power Potion on. So attack 5 against everything within range 4 of me, and an additional +5 for the target being doomed, and the dooms were going to move around. And I drew the miss on the first attack, so the doom just sat there not doing anything :(

Fortunately, Attack 5 on a bunch of enemies is Still Real Good, and it helped clear out a messy situation. But it could have been complete devastation.

Ok, our Triforce retired, and will be playing a Lightning Bolt next. That character looks pretty interesting, we'll see how it plays.

I got a cool item out of a treasure chest, that makes me want to pivot my entire Angry Face build. Unfortunately, the key card for the new build was skipped at a previous level, and I don't really want to pick down level cards as I'm just getting into the ridiculous cards for my chosen build. Oh well

This is why we use the house rule that you can re-spec.

edited June 2020

This is why we use the house rule that you can re-spec.

We don't allow a full respec because we specifically don't want stuff like respeccing because new game knowledge was gained six games later.

But we allow a respec of a skill level up within 2 games of unlocking it if you find it just doesn't play the way you expected.

Darkewolfe on
    edited June 2020
    I'm not convinced the other build is actually good anyway, even with the rare item to support it. I rejiggered my level 1 and X cards to try the baby version of the build, and it was...not great. There's probably a way to make it work, but it probably requires a certain type of party composition, and may require a certain party size.

edit: I miss the days when I was the only one in the party paying attention to loot. Now there are two other party members making use of Loot 1s, and it's affecting my bottom line

Fry on
    edited June 2020
    Our Cragheart is hating life right now. He had mentioned on a previous night that he felt like the character wasn't very good. He didn't say anything last night, but I think I could hear a mixture of pain and boredom in his voice. As Angry Face, I can think of three ridiculous turns I had. The Lightning Bolt had two or three fairly ridiculous turns. Music Note did very consistently good Music Note stuff. Cragheart was just kind of...there? Dropping three rocks at range is ok at throwing down non-attack damage, but it's tricky to set up, especially in 4p games where every room is constantly jam-packed full of enemies (or loot tokens, if the rest of us went first and killed them already). The rest of Cragheart's cards seem to require jumping through even more hoops than that, to get an attack that's "sort of ok". And to top it off, Cragheart's initiatives seem to be uniformly slow, so even if the enemies are lined up for him to make a good move, by the time his turn rolls around the rest of the party and/or the monsters themselves have ruined it.

Anyone have especially good experiences with ol' Craggy? Trying to figure out if there's anything to be done. Considering recommending the shoes that let you tweak initiative, that seems like that might help a little.

Fry on
    Our Cragheart is hating life right now. He had mentioned on a previous night that he felt like the character wasn't very good. He didn't say anything last night, but I think I could hear a mixture of pain and boredom in his voice. As Angry Face, I can think of three ridiculous turns I had. The Lightning Bolt had two or three fairly ridiculous turns. Music Note did very consistently good Music Note stuff. Cragheart was just kind of...there? Meteor is ok at throwing down non-attack damage, but it's tricky to set up, especially in 4p games where every room is constantly jam-packed full of enemies (or loot tokens, if the rest of us went first and killed them already). The rest of Cragheart's cards seem to require jumping through even more hoops than that, to get an attack that's "sort of ok". And to top it off, Cragheart's initiatives seem to be uniformly slow, so even if the enemies are lined up for him to make a good move, by the time his turn rolls around the rest of the party and/or the monsters themselves have ruined it.

Anyone have especially good experiences with ol' Craggy? Trying to figure out if there's anything to be done. Considering recommending the shoes that let you tweak initiative, that seems like that might help a little.

I started with Cragheart and had similar experiences early on. I found focusing on creating and destroying rocks (and the awesome Dirtnado) to be the way to go.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Our Cragheart is hating life right now. He had mentioned on a previous night that he felt like the character wasn't very good. He didn't say anything last night, but I think I could hear a mixture of pain and boredom in his voice. As Angry Face, I can think of three ridiculous turns I had. The Lightning Bolt had two or three fairly ridiculous turns. Music Note did very consistently good Music Note stuff. Cragheart was just kind of...there? Meteor is ok at throwing down non-attack damage, but it's tricky to set up, especially in 4p games where every room is constantly jam-packed full of enemies (or loot tokens, if the rest of us went first and killed them already). The rest of Cragheart's cards seem to require jumping through even more hoops than that, to get an attack that's "sort of ok". And to top it off, Cragheart's initiatives seem to be uniformly slow, so even if the enemies are lined up for him to make a good move, by the time his turn rolls around the rest of the party and/or the monsters themselves have ruined it.

I started with Cragheart and had similar experiences early on. I found focusing on creating and destroying rocks (and the awesome Dirtnado) to be the way to go.

Our Cragheart player made it his job to shove enemies through as many obstacles as possible. There's one early scenario with a winding path through bookcases that was made SIGNIFICANTLY easier by the Cragheart plowing a more direct shortcut.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Our Cragheart player made it his job to shove enemies through as many obstacles as possible. There's one early scenario with a winding path through bookcases that was made SIGNIFICANTLY easier by the Cragheart plowing a more direct shortcut.

Backup Ammunition is the key card for not hating Cragheart, but obstacle control is clutch as well.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »

Backup Ammunition is the key card for not hating Cragheart, but obstacle control is clutch as well.

Auto-damage is the best damage

Retired triforce. Trying to pick between Scoundrel (the only starter class we haven't retired), Saw, or Angry Face for my next character.

I did not realize that the new stand-alone "beginner friendly Gloomhaven box was also an expansion to core Gloomhaven. Four classes and 23 real scenarios for $50 if you want it. All the new scenarios are played by unfolding the map book and just playing on it rather than setting stuff up.

Wow, Lightning Bolt is silly.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I have been having a very good time with it now that we've got our game going again, particularly having lucked into what would appear to be the ultimate convenience head item from a road event. I don't actually think it's, say, unfair, but Berserker is a rollicking good time to play.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited June 2020
    I have been having a very good time with it now that we've got our game going again, particularly having lucked into what would appear to be the ultimate convenience head item from a road event. I don't actually think it's, say, unfair, but Berserker is a rollicking good time to play.

I feel re-sharing this actual attack from one if my group's final sessions is appropriate.
    p6hnt732uyde.jpeg

They were lv9 and at max health (26hp). This attack did 62 damage. And would have stunned (or at least disarmed) the recipient, had it not been a boss. Then again, anything other than a boss would also not have been stunned...

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited June 2020

I feel re-sharing this actual attack from one if my group's final sessions is appropriate.
    p6hnt732uyde.jpeg

They were lv9 and at max health (26hp). This attack did 62 damage. And would have stunned (or at least disarmed) the recipient, had it not been a boss. Then again, anything other than a boss would also not have been stunned...
    Our Lightning Bolt has been (shop item spoiler)
    using the "attack equal to the HP you're missing" with the long spear, so he gets to splat two enemies at a time with it. Gross.

Fry on
    Our lightning bolt caused us to realize we'd been playing advantage incorrectly. (Don't create two separate stacks with advantage, just combine the two cards, which means advantaged attacks can miss.)

Our lightning bolt caused us to realize we'd been playing advantage incorrectly. (Don't create two separate stacks with advantage, just combine the two cards, which means advantaged attacks can miss.)

Yeah we threw that rule out on day one.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif

p6hnt732uyde.jpeg

I'm pretty sure it was Lightning Bolt who convinced us to stop playing RAW for Advantage, because almost every time he'd try to do the thing shown in the picture he'd draw automatic miss, and there was no way for him not to build the character that way.

edited June 2020

p6hnt732uyde.jpeg

I'm pretty sure it was Lightning Bolt who convinced us to stop playing RAW for Advantage, because almost every time he'd try to do the thing shown in the picture he'd draw automatic miss, and there was no way for him not to build the character that way.

Yeah whenever he attacks without advantage (to say nothing of actually being disadvantaged) it was harrowing. Especially if he got cursed...

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited June 2020

Yeah we threw that rule out on day one.

I considered it but after I did a bunch of looking at the numbers crunched I decided it was an important rule. Sure it feels bad but otherwise you just massively overpower some classes.

Lightning thoughts
    The trick with lightning is not to try to get advantage. You just don't want it. It's very deliberately a huge numbers or bust class. If it can't miss it's fucking busted.

All that said, we took a middle ground on a house rule. If you draw a miss and a roller, you take the roller straight and ignore the miss, but don't keep rolling. It's a roll bust basically.

Darkewolfe on

p6hnt732uyde.jpeg

Yeah, I've hit for 40 before at around level 6. During Oozing Grove I took it on myself to gib one of the trees solo, immediately. The thing is, an overwhelmingly huge single-target attack is (at least in Isaac's mind, it would seem) the DPS equivalent of overhealing. Do I agree with that? Probably not. We're coming up on the Dark Rider mission and that's one where I'll actively be fishing for a one-shot if I see a way to do it, quite frankly.

I guess you could argue that Berserker - especially after the base-damage nerfs in the second edition - is meant to be balanced around a modifier deck that takes her attacks from good to exceptional, with the occasional possibility of a home run, and that the problem is that some other classes (notably Circles) really don't get the same treatment? But "sometimes hits so hard as to make the damage meaningless," isn't that unfair in a game where "kill a guy" is a card multiple classes have access to, imo.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Thoughts on advantage/disadvantage:

Yeah, Rules As Written can feel bad when you have advantage and flip a rolling modifier and miss, and it feels like cheating when you have disadvantage and flip rolling modifier and 2x, but from a game design standpoint I can understand why Isaac went with that system instead of "draw one entire stack, then draw a second stack, take the better/worse result". The answer to me is the intersection with the rule about how you resolve ambiguity for advantage/disadvantage. "If it's ambiguous, you get to pick" is a simple rule that adjudicates quickly at the table. However, if you are drawing two entire stacks of cards, it would be quite possible for, say, a Scoundrel to draw a pile of +5 vs a pile of +1 poison. That would come up much more often than the current situations of disadvantage->crit or advantage->miss. You could house rule it as "draw two stacks, be honest about which stack is better/worse" but be prepared to have debates about whether +2 immobilize is better or worse than +1 poison+disarm, etc.

I thought the rule was "if ambiguous, take the first result"?

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    No, players always have choice in cases of ambiguity.

Also, I believe "which stack is better" was errata'd to be highest number wins period.

Isaac got rid of rolling modifiers in the standalone expansion. I wonder if he's doing away with it in Frosthaven as well.

Ok, probably just mis-remembering. Been a while.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Thoughts on advantage/disadvantage:

Yeah, Rules As Written can feel bad when you have advantage and flip a rolling modifier and miss, and it feels like cheating when you have disadvantage and flip rolling modifier and 2x, but from a game design standpoint I can understand why Isaac went with that system instead of "draw one entire stack, then draw a second stack, take the better/worse result". The answer to me is the intersection with the rule about how you resolve ambiguity for advantage/disadvantage. "If it's ambiguous, you get to pick" is a simple rule that adjudicates quickly at the table. However, if you are drawing two entire stacks of cards, it would be quite possible for, say, a Scoundrel to draw a pile of +5 vs a pile of +1 poison. That would come up much more often than the current situations of disadvantage->crit or advantage->miss. You could house rule it as "draw two stacks, be honest about which stack is better/worse" but be prepared to have debates about whether +2 immobilize is better or worse than +1 poison+disarm, etc.

I was a fan of:
    • If you have Advantage, the baseline x0 counts as a +0 (curses still work, don't get cursed!)
    • If you have Disadvantage, the baseline x2 counts as a +0 (blesses still work, support your local clerics!)

Rolling modifiers are kinda goofy, I think I would be fine with them going away. There are some classes that already have things like +4 immobilize in their modifier deck, just do more of that.

I may miss getting the occasional absurd rolling add target twice, but I'll live

Remembering now the other one we tried, which was "if you have either advantage or disadvantage, draw until you get two base cards"
    Though I think that might have been an issue for
    lightning bolt