As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Then Again

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Then Again

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    Really feel for the streamers there, especially those making their livelihood from it who just woke up to find oops, you're out of a job. I know they're saying people can become Facebook Gaming partners, but really... Facebook? I'd imagine more people will try and move back to twitch.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Goodnight, Mixer. The first time I ever heard about you was when Penny-Arcade mentioned you were dead.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    In the mirror universe, maybe my alter ego is capable of rocking a sexy goatee. I’ve tried twice in lockdown. And both times, concluded that what my follicles had wrought was patchy abomination. I might seek out laser treatment, the equivalent of sending mobile infantry assembled from coherent light to destroy the nests from which it emerges.

At least that’s a reassuring sign that I’m not their evil twin.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Didn't Mixer tout features and/or streamer perks that weren't available elsewhere? Weren't they trying to create an environment for content creators that was more friendly to those creators?

This seems like maybe a little premature to be throwing in the towel? Unless it was just such an utter failure that they had like a 0% viewer rate or something.

I never once visited Mixer or watched any streams on there. Maybe I'm the problem.

Lucascraft on
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Didn't Mixer tout features and/or streamer perks that weren't available elsewhere? Weren't they trying to create an environment for content creators that was more friendly to those creators?

This seems like maybe a little premature to be throwing in the towel? Unless it was just such an utter failure that they had like a 0% viewer rate or something.

I never once visited Mixer or watched any streams on there. Maybe I'm the problem.

From what I understand (as a person who never used Mixer and doesn't have an XBox One), Mixer was integrated into the XBox One at an OS level. So it was really easy and convenient to stream with just a button press (or two). It maybe did other things. Mixer was always orders of magnitude less popular than Twitch, but it is a real shame to see the a monopoly on streaming just being handed to Twitch.
    I also heard the dire speculation that the migration to Facebook Streaming might telegraph that Facebook could be deeply integrated into the new XBox. Which seems, sub-optimal.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The mirror universe being safe enough to be on the couch together is a solid touch.

• UrazzUrazz Registered User regular

Well, you know you are in trouble when in a pandemic forcing people to stay inside a lot more often, that you were practically flat in growth while everyone else had double digit growth at the very least. Also, I didn't watch any streamers on Mixer either, but then again I don't watch streamers on Twitch or anywhere else really. I just don't find watching people stream stuff to be entertaining really.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Fun fact: the "watch stream, get points to do things like highlight what you write in chat" mechanic originated in Mixer, and then Twitch copied it.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Goodnight, Mixer. The first time I ever heard about you was when Penny-Arcade mentioned you were dead.

And then never used it for any of their official in-office streams.

(Or maybe they did a few and I forgot, but it was certainly minimal.)

Not that they were required to or anything. I'm saying it's indicative of the inertia of Twitch as a platform. Even people who thought it was really cool and superior in features were like, nah, that's probably not the way to go.

dennis on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't watch live streaming at all. But I do watch a ton of Youtube, which is just the condensed highlights of the good stuff from Twitch.

Yeah, I don't watch live streaming at all. But I do watch a ton of Youtube, which is just the condensed highlights of the good stuff from Twitch.

Don't know if you're including this, but if you pay for Club PA, you get access to Streamlined. It's their weekly highlights from all the PA streams.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I agree with Gabe. This is the Mirror Universe. All the people growing goatees are working from home and have given up shaving because why? And everyone is wearing weird clothes, because why bother dressing up for work? Just wear whatever, man.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Jgr9Jgr9 Registered User regular
    Is really is though.

• ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular

According to one of the Mixer partners I watch on Twitch now and then, Mixer introduced a bunch of cool things, then Twitch took the ideas, improved them, and got them out the door first. For example, Mixer had things like super low latency first, which made for better viewer interaction. But this Mixer partner said they would end up spending months to develop a feature on Mixer that no one had asked for, whilst letting issues with core things fall by the wayside - stuff like twitch's gift a sub to a random person were impossible, or gifting a multipack of subs. Apparently he and some other Mixer partners were actually planning a boycott of Mixer since it turned out one of their higher ups had driven a man to quit due to racism (https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-06-22-former-microsoft-employee-accuses-mixer-manager-of-racist-comments), but of course that's all been overshadowed now.

• Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    How do you recognize women in a mirror universe unless there is a slight testosterone imbalance?

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Johnny17 wrote: »
    How do you recognize women in a mirror universe unless there is a slight testosterone imbalance?

Well, given that Star Trek is the source of the goatee thing....you recognize a Mirror Universe woman because she acts like a thirsty fanfic version of herself.

• Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular

Well, given that Star Trek is the source of the goatee thing....you recognize a Mirror Universe woman because she acts like a thirsty fanfic version of herself.

Can they reverse into a parking space?

Can they reverse into a parking space?

Boo.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

You test her hinge. If it squeeks then you're in the right slide universe.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Aha. Sliders reference.

CaptainAmerica1_zps8c295f96.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    The mirror universe being safe enough to be on the couch together is a solid touch.

To be honest, I'd be fine with it if Mike got back to drawing the comics as though Covid wasn't a thing again. I already get reminded of it every time I leave the house. Let me escape in my webcomics. ;)

(Of course, I still enjoy the comics either way. I'm just saying is all.)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Squeaky hinge test was after checking the local news, and that episode was a while into the show. If you'd only been sliding since May and got back today, you'd still be likely to assume you're not home yet

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG