As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    I bought this Energizer dock and I hate it. Getting the dock to decide that a controller is actually seated correctly enough to charge takes a half dozen attempts and good luck getting both controllers to charge at the same time.

I should just go ahead and buy some rechargable AAs. They'll work with the Series X I've got a bunch of baby/kid toys that eat through batteries.

Hard for me to recommend Eneloops enough. They're compatible with any normal Ni-MH charger, but the Panasonic one that comes with this set is pretty speedy.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    I bought this Energizer dock and I hate it. Getting the dock to decide that a controller is actually seated correctly enough to charge takes a half dozen attempts and good luck getting both controllers to charge at the same time.

I should just go ahead and buy some rechargable AAs. They'll work with the Series X I've got a bunch of baby/kid toys that eat through batteries.

I can't recommend enoloop batteries enough. They are great

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/9rYzOXqSM_k

Halo Infinite teaser, so i guess we can expect the hype cycle to really start gearing up.

edited June 2020
    Ah, that feels like some pretty classic Halo teaser marketing right there. Impressively uninformative. :D

Synthesis on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Are they really gonna go for some Covenant remnant being the villain? That will make negative one million sense with the way Guardians went, but I'll wait and see if 343 forgot the plot of their own series.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Honestly 343 kind of should forget the plot of 5, everyone else did. I struggled to remember it while I was playing it

Also it’s likely it’s the Banished from Halo Wars 2. I’m fine with that, I like flesh and blood villains, and Brutes, I’m sick of AIs and haughty precursors.

Prohass on
    edited June 2020
    Contrary to the premature celebration from some people, I seriously doubt Halo 6 is going to either be a soft or a hard reboot--not in the least because there's been large thematic gaps between Halo sequels before (just look and 2 to 3)--they're not going to forget the plot of Halo 5, but they pretty obviously wanted to tie it into Halo Wars 2 anyway, and the conclusion of the last game very obviously alludes to one of the Rings anyway.

I could end up being proven wrong. But I doubt it. It's not like Covenant remnants weren't enemies in 5 either, you fight them as often as you fight the Protheans/Guardians. On top of that, Halo Wars 2 has more than one very obvious reference to Halo 5, and it's very easy to picture the Guardians setting the stage for the Banished to be a entry-level enemy, like we the dynamic between the Flood and the Convenant before that.

On a personal level, I find fighting Brutes, the less fun version of Elites, to be very tiresome at this point, but I'm 100% okay with fighting a diverse array of Covenant.

Synthesis on
    By the end of 5, the remnant Covenant have been SOUNDLY defeated, and they were not a threat comparable to the original Covenant anyway. They could shoot you to death if you ran into them in the field, but their war machine was pathetic.

Meanwhile, something like 80% of humanity's AI (you know... the things that run both their planets and spaceships) have defected to a fascist new world order that demands obedience or death. You simply CANNOT roll that back. The series is dead narratively if you try.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Honestly 343 kind of should forget the plot of 5, everyone else did. I struggled to remember it while I was playing it

Also it’s likely it’s the Banished from Halo Wars 2. I’m fine with that, I like flesh and blood villains, and Brutes, I’m sick of AIs and haughty precursors.

Yeah give me a regular old army and asshole enemy I want to shoot in the face.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    There could be multiple storyline’s going on, the ai thing could be going on while the banished thing is also happening.

edited June 2020
    Meanwhile, something like 80% of humanity's AI (you know... the things that run both their planets and spaceships) have defected to a fascist new world order that demands obedience or death. You simply CANNOT roll that back. The series is dead narratively if you try.

The academic historian in me is going to say: nope, bad, but not fascism. I will happily delve into that boring topic. :D

That aside, no, I don't expect them to roll back the plot either, and don't want them too.

But surviving elements of the Convenant are absolutely a doable thing, as Halo Wars 2 proved. They won't be the Convenant--in fact, they might be very different politically--but they can absolutely be a plotline enemy.

Synthesis on
    I never expected them to phase out shooting Covenant enemy models, it's what people like to do. But it has to be framed correctly to have any purpose at all. Saying "oh no, mean aliens with spaceships want to shoot and kill us!" is so not the point when your entire civilization, tech tree, and ability to even exist was Pac Man'd up by an evil overlord at the end of the last game.

Imagine if Mass Effect 3 led its trailers and marketing around fighting Cerberus instead of, you know... the Reapers.

I never expected them to phase out shooting Covenant enemy models, it's what people like to do. But it has to be framed correctly to have any purpose at all. Saying "oh no, mean aliens with spaceships want to shoot and kill us!" is so not the point when your entire civilization, tech tree, and ability to even exist was Pac Man'd up by an evil overlord at the end of the last game.

Imagine if Mass Effect 3 led its trailers and marketing around fighting Cerberus instead of, you know... the Reapers.

Mass Effect 3 didn't do that because a disturbed fraction of the fan-base was of the firm opinion that Cerberus were the deeply-misunderstood good guys (thanks Mass Effect 2--ah, you're still the best game in the franchise :lol: ). But it's very easy to do here with, for example, the Banished's leaders being manipulated by the Guardians (or maybe even attempting to do the reverse, ultimately unsuccessfully), setting up the later fight with a more serious enemy (for example, the Guardians).

Halo has always had hilariously vague, misleading trailers. Hell, you could even say the same about CE, with the Flood being a complete surprise, or the very controversial (at the time) Arbiter arc of Halo 2. I would say "This isn't Disney's Star Wars, there is no fanatical devotion to an unseen canonical bible" but even that's not particularly true any more. One way or another, we're definitely going to fight Covenant-style (or even anti-Convenant) enemies as a way to ease back into the game, and I am totally okay with that.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    It's one teaser trailer. Maybe we can try waiting and seeing.

I can't believe they'd just dump the storyline from 5. Cortana and 117's story has to have a conclusion.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    As a Legacy of Kain fan that watched a cliffhanger ending be followed up a decade later with a reboot game that wasn't even allowed to reference Kain, which itself was cancelled well before release, ya'll might be in a little bit of denial if you *insist* Microsoft has to do anything with their plot. Don't assume that their refusal to call it Halo 6 is ingenuine.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    As a Legacy of Kain fan that watched a cliffhanger ending be followed up a decade later with a reboot game that wasn't even allowed to reference Kain, which itself was cancelled well before release, ya'll might be in a little bit of denial if you *insist* Microsoft has to do anything with their plot. Don't assume that their refusal to call it Halo 6 is ingenuine.

Why would you bring this up. I am still not over Raziel's death in Legacy of Kain Defiance.

/weeps

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    More Game Pass stuff before the end of the month: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/24/coming-soon-xbox-game-pass-june-wave-2-2020/
    New games:
    • Night Call (Console) June 24th
    • Streets of Rogue (Console) June 25th
    • The Messenger (Console) June 25th
    • Observation (Console & PC) June 25th

Games leaving June 30th:
    • Battlefleet Gothic: Armada (PC)
    • Die for Valhalla! (PC)
    • Life is Strange 2 (Console)
    • Metal Slug X (Console & PC)
    • Metro Exodus (Console & PC)
    • Neon Chrome (Console & PC)
    • Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (Console & PC)
    • SteamWorld Dig 2 (Console & PC)
    • The Flame in the Flood (Console & PC)

Huh, guess I'll need to pick up Metal Slug X....

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Huh, guess I'll need to pick up Metal Slug X....

I was thinking the same thing

It's been a while, but pretty much any time one of the ACA Neo Geo collection titles goes on sale, even a little, I buy it. They're extremely true-to-form emulation of Neo Geo AES titles.

(But I've been operating on the assumption that it'll be playable on Series X and going forward. Which I think it will.)

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    (But I've been operating on the assumption that it'll be playable on Series X and going forward. Which I think it will.)

Nowadays a mid-range toaster could probably do an arcade perfect emulation of Mark of the Wolves. For those not to move forward to Series X and beyond, Microsoft would have to massively shit the bed.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Nowadays a mid-range toaster could probably do an arcade perfect emulation of Mark of the Wolves. For those not to move forward to Series X and beyond, Microsoft would have to massively shit the bed.

Or they could just pull a Sony and change their minds. I'm more worried about that.

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Just joined the ultimate.

I’ve got only 5 days to play life is strange 2? doable.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
    Playing plague tale, so good. I love that it’s all about kids and their perspective, like it’s very rare for games to have basically the entire cast be kids.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

I mean I don't necessarily think companies, studios, devs and people are going to commit to the same things as they did 10+ years ago

And honestly, pretending none of 5 ever happened will bring out complaints from the same people who bitch about 5's plot, only now we'd have to hear about the oft-cited element of "PLOT HOLES"

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Goddamn Legend of Zelda...

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited June 2020
    So, in the short term, if you're an Xbox player who doesn't stream on Mixer or watch streamers who use it, things won't be changing much. Right now, the more pressing matter is what will happen for streamers who chose Mixer because they wanted an alternative from using Facebook, Amazon, or Google's streaming services.

Going through the article--yeah, that's pretty much what I expected. After all, the option to like your Facebook profile (among others) to your Xbox user profile has been around for years.

Also what I expected: another wave of rampant sexual abuse cases to remind Twitch users about the rampant sexual abuse. Thank goodness we have Twitch when its competitors fall into obscurity, huh?

Synthesis on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'm playing Final Fantasy 9 again since it's on ultimate and I never really appreciated it growing up, but it's actually an app as opposed to a game? That's kind of weird, I expected an emulator but not an app.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I'm playing Final Fantasy 9 again since it's on ultimate and I never really appreciated it growing up, but it's actually an app as opposed to a game? That's kind of weird, I expected an emulator but not an app.

Looks like a "Game" in the windows store?

Not exactly sure what you mean. All of the Playstation 1-era FF titles (so, up to X/X-2) are packaged this way, though not all of them are cross-platform (only IX seems to be). But from what I remember, they all rely on a custom emulator package running a (much) later copy of the game with whatever changes that version featured. The Windows Store Xbox release is cross-save compatible with the console Xbox release (I'm pretty sure that's the only retail version of the game on any platform that can simultaneously share saves across PC and console).

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It's still the game as I remember, but they cleaned up the moving polygons and left the backgrounds and CG movies in their 480p resolution, but it was weird how it asked me that it needs access to things like you're granting an app access, and then I got an email from Microsoft about a new app having access to my data. I've never had this with any other game, and usually the data the game wants is an optional leaderboard type thing in-game like what Capcom or Bandai does.

It's still the game as I remember, but they cleaned up the moving polygons and left the backgrounds and CG movies in their 480p resolution, but it was weird how it asked me that it needs access to things like you're granting an app access, and then I got an email from Microsoft about a new app having access to my data. I've never had this with any other game, and usually the data the game wants is an optional leaderboard type thing in-game like what Capcom or Bandai does.

Oooh. Yeah, that has nothing to be do with it being an "app", that's an optional feature of Xbox Play Anywhere (and the fact that it is a Game Pass game--though not all of them use that, look at Undertale by comparison).

The app (i.e. game) needs access to your Xbox Live Account, and in this case it's definitely not optional as it's a Game Pass game. On top of that, it wants to access your cloud save storage, your profile, etc., because of the console side integration (the difference being on console, you don't get alerts about these things because every game uses them).

It's a lot more intuitive-sounding for something like Gears 5 that has cross-platform matchmmaking, multiplayer, and everything else, but like 90% of that is because of cross-platform saves and cross-platform achievements (no playing the game twice to get both achievements twice). Microsoft's still super-into the whole "Xbox on PC ecosystem", but they're also deeply paranoid about security. I'll get a security email alert even after confirming, "Yes, I wanted this app to have permissions," even through the authentication app on my phone.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Ff9 is the best of the mainline games , you heard me. Only one better then it was a spin-off FF tactics.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Ah, that feels like some pretty classic Halo teaser marketing right there. Impressively uninformative. :D

YOU TAKE THIS BACK.

Halo had some of the best marketing campaigns. :P

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Ff9 is the best of the mainline games , you heard me. Only one better then it was a spin-off FF tactics.

I'd say best post 16-bit game, for sure.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Shit man all it takes a is a couple notes from the Halo 3 reveal trailer to send me bawling, or any of the commercials for that matter

https://youtu.be/8aFMpmTv3lA

edited June 2020

YOU TAKE THIS BACK.

Halo had some of the best marketing campaigns. :P

s0i2xqn8b1zq.jpg

They're both true, and you know in your heart I'm right. :snap:

Synthesis on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Ah yes, remember the whole "I Love Bees" thing that was a Halo thing that somehow had nothing to do with Halo?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293