As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New [movie] thread, same as the old one. New Bill and Ted, out soon!

Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark isworth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
edited August 2020 in Social Entropy++
C'mon, you know I'm right!

HD0YFjxl.jpg

hquhxsab9qqg.jpg

Donovan Puppyfucker on

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’m watching Scare Package

It’s a new horror/comedy anthology on Shudder

Has a lot of awesome practical gore but I feel like it’s just trying TOO hard to be meta and it’s coming off stupid most of the time.

It’s basically a C- movie

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’m upping it to a C+ now that’s it over.

Still tried too hard but I enjoyed it enough.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Gaga seems like she'd be better suited to one of Grant Morrison's weirdo characters

I decided to finally watch the new Hellboy.

He’s been on the screen or ten seconds and I HATE HIS FACE SO MUCH

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i'm starting to think gaga could pretty much knock any role out of the park

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    My impression from that one music video Gaga did with Beyoncé is that Beyoncé is a much better actor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVBsypHzF3U

wandering on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    My impression from that one music video Gaga did with Beyoncé is that Beyoncé is a much better actor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVBsypHzF3U

i thought they both kinda sucked in that one

edited June 2020
    This Hellboy movie is pissing me off

There’s a good movie in here but definitely not as presented.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    just put hellboy in like a fuckin' a haunted house. have him drink with a skeleton and punch a dracula. we don't need ten thousand fuckin plot lines

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Some of the CG in this movie is atrocious.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I feel asleep while watching the new Hellboy movie, and have never seriously considered turning it back on and watching the rest. It just wasn't worth it.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I dunno if I'm weird, but the all that ultraviolence in the new Hellboy was a real turnoff. I don't know if all the cussing and gore was there to secure that cred because R-rated comic films are cool again, but it sure felt like it and didn't add anything to the film. Could be the del Toro movies coloring that, admittedly. (And I don't know how the actual comics are in that regard, and I don't really care.)

Daniel Dae Kim didn’t have his shirt off enough.

What a waste.

If that had just been a nameless action movie I could have almost liked it.

There was some good stuff there.

As a Hellboy movie though it was a complete mess and a waste.

Sad

The only good thing in new Hellboy was the pig man costume. Which admittedly was quite good

aGPmIBD.jpg
    edited June 2020
    Some of the action was decent. I’m a sucker for mythology so I’m going to kind of enjoy any mentions of it. I thought David Harbour, Daniel Dae Kim, and Ian McShane did the best they could with what was given to them.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    I thought Harbour was reeeeeally bad

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Gustav wrote: »
    I thought Harbour was reeeeeally bad

I thought he was fine. The dialogue was garbage but he delivered in his Harbouresque manor.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    so this week for my wife's coworker zoom movie club, we watched Hackers for the first time

that... was certainly a movie

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Harbour breaks my heart because it is so obvious he could play an absolutely wonderful Hellboy but between the script, the director and him hating each other and the make-up fucking with his delivery it was not good at all.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    KalTorak wrote: »
    so this week for my wife's coworker zoom movie club, we watched Hackers for the first time

Hackers rules.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Okay now follow it up with Johnny Mnemonic

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Wow. This 4K HDR stuff is ... pretty damn amazing? So far I've checked out:

The Last Jedi | 4K UHD | Blu-Ray
    Our Planet | 4K Dolby Vision | Netflix
    Into the Spider-Verse | 4K UHD | Netflix

I'm watching Into the Spider-Verse right now. Kind of wish it was Dolby Vision, but it's "just" 4K UHD. But it's amazing. I'll definitely grab the disc for this.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    Harbour breaks my heart because it is so obvious he could play an absolutely wonderful Hellboy but between the script, the director and him hating each other and the make-up fucking with his delivery it was not good at all.

Maybe he can do something with Cavill next.

Commander Zoom on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't remember if I mentioned it in the last thread but I watched Johnny Mnemonic for the first time the other morning with a terrible hangover

I still kinda can't believe that movie happened with those people involved

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

What an amazing fucking title, holy shit

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    The Spider-Man comic with Miles on the cover dropping onto the pile of the various Spider-peeps after his "rise" scene is so damn good. I honestly forgot just how good this movie is.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

...I will watch this based on that title alone, god damn.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

how jealous are you

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

how jealous are you

Extremely

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I’m watching Scare Package

It’s a new horror/comedy anthology on Shudder

Has a lot of awesome practical gore but I feel like it’s just trying TOO hard to be meta and it’s coming off stupid most of the time.

It’s basically a C- movie

In the tradition of anthologies, it was very hit or miss. Goo Guy and Baron Vaughn's credit sequence for the spoiler fight both got good chuckles from me though.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I'm watching Clue for the first time since I was like eight years old, and it's kind of messing me up. It's a period piece set thirty years before the release of the movie, but it's a 35 year old movie at this point. I have no idea what kind of jokes I'm missing here.

I think I'm staying afloat mostly because I read a lot of outdated Mad Magazine books in my crappy home town library, so I pretty much know the specific comedic heft of a J. Edgar Hoover reference in the Reagan era.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ChallChall Registered User regular
    I watched Clue for the first time a couple of weeks ago. And then I watched it again a couple days later. And then I bought it so I can watch whenever I want.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Clue is pretty good.

I get a lot of use out of the Mrs White flames gif at work.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I own only two movies on DVD which were made before 1985. Clue, and Blazing Saddles.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I have Dark City (one of my very favorite 90s movies) and Enter the 36th Chamber of Shaolin on VHS

I can't remember the last time I even saw a VHS player

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Dark City is so good.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    tynic wrote: »
    Dark City is so good.

The Director's Cut removes the opening narration, which is a very good choice, but I feel like the added scenes kill the pacing. This might be only from the perspective of someone who knows the information imparted by the opening narration, however.

DarkPrimus on
    I watched the way god intended. Muted through the first 30 seconds.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I'm watching An American in Paris and its a normal rom com with songs and dancing that is all completely diagetic. Then Gene Kelly is sad and dreams a 15 minute dance sequence with no words. It comes out of nowhere and I love it. And its basically the end of the movie as well.

Magell on
This discussion has been closed.