As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The Lifeline buff is a game changer imo. She's going to be come a staple in most all groups, I think. Which is almost bad since I mostly just play duos (except this week for the new event). But that revive is SO powerful. The one win I got last night would 100% not have happened without it. I basically juggled bringing 2 friends up 3 times in a row between them during the last fight. It was amazing.
    I dare say it's almost too powerful.

I really dig all the changes I've tried thus far. The Mirage buff to his decoys while sky diving is very disorienting, Revenant having no range on his ult now, ALL of Octane's movement buffs. Good stuff.

vamen on
    edited June 2020
    Also, I've never really done events until recently, so the unlock mechanic for new skins seems crazy price gouge-y. Which doesn't surprise me because Apex has always had an overly expensive store. Seems like over $60 to get a CHANCE at 10 items (for 10 loot boxes) or something along those lines. That seems insane to me, so I imagine people just buy the specific ones they want.
    But I notice you can get the new heirloom for free ("free") if you unlock all TWENTY (yeesh). How else do you even unlock those things? I'm level 256 and have YET to see an heirloom piece drop. It seems to require 100 of those and I don't imagine you get 100 at a time.

Apex is one of my favorite games but man is the store borderline offensive =p.

vamen on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Also, I've never really done events until recently, so the unlock mechanic for new skins seems crazy price gouge-y. Which doesn't surprise me because Apex has always had an overly expensive store. Seems like over $60 to get a CHANCE at 10 items (for 10 loot boxes) or something along those lines. That seems insane to me, so I imagine people just buy the specific ones they want.
    But I notice you can get the new heirloom for free ("free") if you unlock all TWENTY (yeesh). How else do you even unlock those things? I'm level 256 and have YET to see an heirloom piece drop. It seems to require 100 of those and I don't imagine you get 100 at a time.

You get the heirloom for free if you get all the special event items unlocked. Which, you have to buy the special event creates, but each has a GUARANTEED item from the event in it, as well as slightly bette than normal odds on other rare items.

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »

You get the heirloom for free if you get all the special event items unlocked. Which, you have to buy the special event creates, but each has a GUARANTEED item from the event in it, as well as slightly bette than normal odds on other rare items.

Thanks for the clarification. I JUST noticed it mentions the odds on the left side of the menu *forehead slap*.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Still, as much as I'm glad that most of their business model seems less predatory than many, I did the math on 24 event loot boxes and came back with a number over $200 and bounced off it hard.

I don't fault them for needing to get in more cash than just a one time battlepass purchase from the userbase, especially with ongoing support work they're doing, but yikes all the same.

I'd pondered getting a Legendary, but don't think I'll be able to save up that many crafting materials in time. 2 Epics is doable, so I'm tempted to grab Bangalore's skin (the battle pass's level 50 one is great, but I do like this too) and maybe a charm? Something I could apply across the board if I so chose, but now that I've started unlocking like a dozen of the things, it's a little less rare. Maybe the Loba frame instead? The skydive emotes are apparently rare, but I don't even have Watson or Crypto unlocked yet, nor am I expecting to play them a ton when I do.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Welp, I remembered how terrible I am at this mode seeing as I suck with snipers and people map me when I can't hit a large vehicle.

Gonna be a long grind for these customization items.

I don't think you have to actually play the new game mode to progress on the challenges associated with the event. You can play in any game mode you want.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I really didn't think that was true the last time, but then again, the last time I was playing an event I enjoyed. I thought I tried once in like Ranked and made no progress so just committed.

If you don't need to play the LTM to progress that stuff, then my K/D and my fun-level with thank you.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    There are some badges specific to the event mode shown on the event tracker, but I think that's it.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    While $200 for an heirloom seems crazy, I’ve also put something like $120 into the game over the last year or so between all of the battle passes and occasional skin buying. If someone primarily mains one person, I can easily see dumping that much money into the game for the neat thing you’ll see every game you play.

At a base level, this model is still pretty scummy, like all free to play game models, if this is also at least one of the good ones where it is entirely possible to play everything for free. And hell, if you play enough, a one-time $10 for the battlepass will net a handle of free legendaries, 1200 crafting mats, and the ability to buy the next battlepass without spending more money.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Ugh, I hate getting paired up with two people in a party. They so often just move without any regard for me and it ends up feeling like I'm a one man squad.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I had enough crafting materials to get six of the event items, so it was "only" $100 plus some AC I already had lying around to get everything.

But I like pretty much everything in this event and that heirloom is *chef kiss*

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i know it's a slippery slope and these store/event prices are very not good game economy, but i've gotten so much play from this game with my friends during all the sheltering that i gave them a full price game worth of money and bought some packs and the two event skins i was really into

If they let you scrap legendaries/epics/rares for 1/4-1/3 of their crafting cost, I would be very happy.

ronzo wrote: »
    If they let you scrap legendaries/epics/rares for 1/4-1/3 of their crafting cost, I would be very happy.

Man yeah, I'd be all for that.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Had a game where I just went off, we all got gold and purple stuff to start and I went on a six kill tear. We might have won if the Wraith came back to rez me instead of charging into a 2v1 fight, but alas.

edited June 2020
    Gah, had a great win, but was so close to 2k. There was a point where a bunch of enemies were all paired up, and not engaging hard. I almost suspect they were boosting damage, so I plinked at them with Hemlok, downing 2. They returned fire. Had I stayed and engaged more, I may have died, but maybe would have gotten the like 180 more damage needed to hit 2k. (edit - gah remember hearing somewhere that damage against knocked down people - either bodies or shields? - also counts as damage. probably shouldn't have executed the last enemy who had yellow knockdown and just shot through his buddy and his shield oof)

Ah well, still one of my best runs ever, and all the more satisfying since our Crypto dropped early on when he didn't come with me and Bloodhound, got knocked, and even though both of us pinged revive, he quit with 45 seconds left on his timer.

9xhme8bsfy3t.jpg

Zombie Gandhi on
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    have to say that lifeline drone revive is a good change but she doesn't need to be able to literally chain them back to back, especially now that it's remote and the lifeline can now keep firing

if they're going to operate off the idea that tacticals are a "once per fight" kind of thing her drone revive should probably also have a similar cooldown. or any cooldown, really

Orphane on
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Had a game where I just went off, we all got gold and purple stuff to start and I went on a six kill tear. We might have won if the Wraith came back to rez me instead of charging into a 2v1 fight, but alas.

Wraiths gonna wraith!

Might take a while for them to get use to her ability change too. Although having tested it out, the brief slowdown window is indeed very brief!

Orphane wrote: »
    have to say that lifeline drone revive is a good change but she doesn't need to be able to literally chain them back to back, especially now that it's remote and the lifeline can now keep firing

if they're going to operate off the idea that tacticals are a "once per fight" kind of thing her drone revive should probably also have a similar cooldown. or any cooldown, really

I think they mentioned the tacticals as "once per fight" in reference to specific very powerful abilities, like Pathfinder's. Being able to swing into an advantageous position and then also gtfo if it all goes tits up was just too much.

Isn't the drone revive her passive now anyway?

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Campy wrote: »
    Orphane wrote: »

I think they mentioned the tacticals as "once per fight" in reference to specific very powerful abilities, like Pathfinder's. Being able to swing into an advantageous position and then also gtfo if it all goes tits up was just too much.

Isn't the drone revive her passive now anyway?

yes, it is her passive, but so what? Gibraltar's arm shield goes on cooldown if it breaks. Lifeline drone revive has all of the power of a tactical if you have a teammate down and she can literally keep doing it at almost no cost to herself. it's a gold knockdown shield auto revive with the lifeline only having to get over to their downed teammate and press E with the added bonus of having a like 120 degree arced shield in front of the person being revived and she can literally do it again immediately if the person gets knocked down again or a different teammate goes down

yes, there are ways to counter play it, yes, the lifeline can misplay it. yes, it's good that it's playing thematically into her kit as a medic. that doesn't mean it's not somewhat overtuned right now.

Orphane on
    Yeah, you're probably right, when used correctly it's just insanely powerful. I've already played a few games with absolutely clutch multiple revives from her. Then again, she is squishy as fuck with her giant legs and Hard To Hit.

The other real hurdle is how do they present the cooldown to the player?

edited June 2020
    Oh man that satchel goose was naughty!

I think TF2 on PC was about 1000 at peak prior to the steam launch, so it's a pretty good uptick! I for one will be happy if I can find a match of something other than attrition. Not that I hate it, just that it was literally the only game type that people were playing.

I might have to drop in the ol' Ion tonight...

edit: I don't know what is up with the paging when reading this thread!

Campy on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Just had my first few matches on PC with some friends' first times ever, they liked it a lot and played much much better than I do on console. I added a few of the most recent names on the list, so looking forward to playing with you all as well.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Been hoping to do something like this ever since evo shields were introduced and Armed and Dangerous finally gave me the opportunity.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1XVO3XzIEY

People might already know this about Mirage's heirloom, but like the others it has a rare alternate animation where you smack the person with a pork chop

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    People might already know this about Mirage's heirloom, but like the others it has a rare alternate animation where you smack the person with a pork chop

I've also seen a recording of another rare melee animation where he does a two finger eye poke, which hopefully someday gets recorded as the greatest final kill of a game ever.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    Jay and I had a great duos game on World's Edge last night. We dropped train, which only had one other team who we quickly wiped. This started us with a handful of gold gear and some solid weapons. We then murdered another duo, and Jay knocked down a bot and got a Vault Key. Obviously we needed to head towards Vault and loot the hell out of it, which meant more goodies. We were then accosted near the vault by one squad, then another, and I barely survived a push by them after Jay did damage, and so 4 or 5 enemies and some good luck later, we were still standing and seriously geared up.

We re positioned to take advantage of the closing circle, which was going to end in a city with a lot of buildings. Along the way, I was able to drop my Flatline for a Devotion, after which point in time we realized we needed to take a picture of our gear because we were filthy rich.
    c33bzfbhr9jx.jpg

The ring continues to collapse on buildings, and we kill some more and plink away until it is 4 squads in a circle that is a single building and a small outdoor opening. All 4 squads were chilling on different parts of the building, and in order to escape we take two different doors - Jay goes down and I take a zipline up, promptly landing on a Mirage and a Caustic. I melt the Caustic with Devotion, and nearly knock the Mirage who barely chips me down. I frantically ping and yell for Jay, who jump-pads up, but Mirage invisible heal is in full effect. However, they decloak right as the revive completes, which gives Jay just barely an opening to reknock Caustic and finish Mirage, saving our necks.

I self-revive as Jay heals and gets ready for the last fight as the ring starts to close. Jay drops down to start to get to the field, but gets dropped in a building by two dudes. I go full Rambo and open up the devotion- I drop down, knock a Bangalore outside, walk into the door where Jay's body is down, and open fire on another pair, quickly killing the two of them. But the ring is closing and I'm wounded and I have to run ourside into the open. I run, hear footsteps and turn to face the final bullets that would end our match when we win suddenly - the last remaining player was just too slow, a bit to cautious due to the raining bullets, and gets eaten by the circle due to poor positioning.

So many things clicked in this game to show why Apex is great - the thrill of loot, the feeling of barely surviving encounter after encounter, the importance of positioning (particularly with cover and collapsing ring), and the joy of team-mates saving each other over and over and over again to win a hard fought match.

I think I like Duos more than Trios because it feels less chaotic.
    928rwxojw8x0.jpg

Yea we went off. I had a gold Hemlock too, I was so sure we'd lose that game just because we were walking loot pinatas lmao

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I had a really bad drop, but I needed one more top 10 finish so I lamed it out unti the last four squads.

Luckily, I had a Kraber. Five kills later and I manage to steal the match. So dirty.
    OzJDbZP.png

Surprised myself on how I pulled this off.

https://youtu.be/X5DDxLJhs8s

So far I've racked up about 6 wins in just 3 days of moving to PC, I think it really shows that knowing how to move with the zone to your advantage, as well as other tactics, are the most important element in these types of games.

Enjoying myself way more than on ps4, mostly because I now feel that my mistakes are on bad decisions rather than being bad at fps games with a controller :P

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I am getting to the point that I really want to play with pa people on pc, anyone looking for people? I have a Mike and everything

steam_sig.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @Satsumomo @stopgap drop in on the PA discord Apex channel! @MyNameIsWalrus (ConfusedWalrus) and me (F4ll0ut) play pretty regularly on PC and could always use a 3rd.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I might join you guys sometimes if I'm free or if my friend and I need a third. My origin ign is cavilatrest.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    Dropped in Salvage with a couple of randos the other night and teams just kept coming. We fought almost the entire match between there and caves until we had to go find the last two squads.
    a94tdry3lz7m.jpg

Holy fuck do they need to add quitter penalties to all of the game modes.

fucking wait until we actually lose you trash goblins, then fucking quit.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    yeah I am playing in the event, and it's been a trashfire of hotdrop die quit before I even pick up a gun.... I feel like half the people don't even want to play the game anymore?
    If you land outside the hotzones you can have a quarter of an empty map to yourselves sometimes.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    yeah I am playing in the event, and it's been a trashfire of hotdrop die quit before I even pick up a gun.... I feel like half the people don't even want to play the game anymore?
    If you land outside the hotzones you can have a quarter of an empty map to yourselves sometimes.

People prioritize hotdropping in the event because of the Evo shields. If you don't get into a fight early-ish, then you WILL be facing enemy teams with purple shields while you still have white.

There does seem to have been a spate of people quick leaving during the event, though perhaps it's because I'm just used to playing ranked.

One dude left as we were winning the fight simply because he got dropped right at the end. I was playing Lifeline and stood right next to him! These rage babies oy vey.

ObiFett wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »

People prioritize hotdropping in the event because of the Evo shields. If you don't get into a fight early-ish, then you WILL be facing enemy teams with purple shields while you still have white.

I don't mind the hotdropping, in the new mode I totally get it

what I hate is the fucking TTV Wraiths who don't even wait until they're a banner these days. or the assholes from Campy's post, I'm right next to you as lifeline, you'll be fine.