As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    If I had the energy to move my wheel from my desk to the living room every night, I’d absolutely play ACC on my huge screen 4K tv. But I’d have to move it every night away from toddlers wildness so I’ll have to just keep plugging away on my PC.

It is fun to tear through the field of over aggressive drivers. I still have trouble at Spa though, like in five differed places I just lose it no matter what setup I use. Still end up mid pack at worst since I do my best not to send it straight into the walls like everyone else seems to.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to get back into playing some F1 and ACC this week. The kiddo is gone back to daycare now, and work is starting to calm down somewhat.

Really want to try and nail down some single-player time on ACC and try and get a better feel for the Bentley.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Also, in case the announcement about it was missed yesterday:

https://www.total24hours.com/news/1785/-once-in-a-lifetime-25-hour-edition-for-the-total-24-hours-of-spa

24 Hours of Spa will be 25 hours long this year, and will take place in October.

At first I thought it was just adding one hour, but that is one cool way of doing it.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Also, in case the announcement about it was missed yesterday:

https://www.total24hours.com/news/1785/-once-in-a-lifetime-25-hour-edition-for-the-total-24-hours-of-spa

24 Hours of Spa will be 25 hours long this year, and will take place in October.

At first I thought it was just adding one hour, but that is one cool way of doing it.

Oh that IS cool, I thought the same thing, meh one hour, then I saw that the start/end times were still the same.

steam_sig.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    If I were a race engineer who had spent an insane amount of time developing a car to run for exactly 24 hours at maximum possible performance and if it goes for 1 second more will explode, I would weep. But I drink those tears as a spectator!

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2020
    TeeMan wrote: »
    If I were a race engineer who had spent an insane amount of time developing a car to run for exactly 24 hours at maximum possible performance and if it goes for 1 second more will explode, I would weep. But I drink those tears as a spectator!

The software world has been dealing with daylight savings and leap days for years. Time for the mechanical engineers to feel some pain. :P

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Fair warning, my RL situation sucks at the moment (mum's health is worsening, is the short version) so if I go AWOL on things like the Hot Laps or thread title or whatever, that'll be why. But this forum is a lifeline for me, doubly so in the Covid era; I'll still be around at times regardless, so I'll try and do stuff where possible. If I need to delegate something like the Hot Laps, I'll ask. Or try to. RL's all a bit making my head spin so this is kind of an anchor to what passes for normality.

Anyway, must stop rambling. Hockenheim!
    m2h4uj4nw580.jpg

Finally got a time on the board on the last day (recurring theme, I know), and it's a 1:13.213. Not too bad, if I do say so myself!

I'll endeavour to switch over to Hungary this evening (UK time), but if you guys want to take a(nother) crack at it, there's still time.

@Jazz

I should be able to pick up for you, my life has gotten a little less crazy. I'll switch it over to Hungaroring this evening or this afternoon.

I actually had time to do a 40 minute race in single player ACC last night. Considering I haven't played it in about a month, let's just say it did not go as planned. :)

@oldmanken I'm okay to still do it for now if you'd rather, I don't mind. Gives me something else to do and think about when I have a few minutes :)

What happened in the ACC race?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Speaking of ACC, now that my RL has settled down, I'm going to back in to it. I really want to get the track medals and start doing some MP racing, as that's my real passion. AI is nice, but racing people is where it's at for me.

Mostly unrelated, but I'm about 80% done with my apartment re-org and so my sim rig is in it's new home, connected to it's new PC (repost from the PC parts thread):
    QpQYlLg.jpg?1

My SimLabs P1-X rig is on back order, hopefully will be here in July. Then all the racing gear is going in that, and my Obutto will be just for my flight sim gear. They will be side by side in that room with the PC between them.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    A bit late but folks here it is, Marbula E race #3 in Jakarta and it is exciting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xLOLGfFA5E

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    wtf Virgin that was totally intentional. Can't believe they let you get away with it.

Right, spreadsheet all updated for Hungary, using the 2019 Ferrari. Set for one week again, but if it needs extending again, so be it.

edited June 2020
    Jazz wrote: »
    Right, spreadsheet all updated for Hungary, using the 2019 Ferrari. Set for one week again, but if it needs extending again, so be it.

Thanks Jazz, let me know if you need me to step in at all.

Managed my first lap, pulled off a 1:21.478. Lots of time to make up, as this was me doing my first laps of the track.

EDIT: Make that 1:20.655

oldmanken on
    edited June 2020
    Needed to test my ACC setup on the new sim PC, so of course I did a lap at Mount Panorama in the mighty 488. One of my favorite track/car combos in sim racing. Lots of great memories from the iRacing 12h of Bathurst with this car.

https://youtu.be/l3tHkak0OYE

Lap was a 2:06.144, which isn't perfect, but it's quick. Definitely race pace in RL, and pretty close my race pace in iRacing. Not a terrible lap after only a couple warm up laps.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Random aside. I remember the 2008 cars as being a bit bulky, compared to todays cars. But this 2008 Ferrari looks beautiful.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    So I've been contemplating playing a racing game lately, but I'm not sure how deep into the sim side of things I want to go. I'm definitely not doing VR, and don't currently have a wheel but I know you can get a reasonable one for not too much money second hand usually. I was also informed that the Steam Summer Sale has started, so are there any recommendations for a starting point in maybe the middle of the simcade range? Something I could try out with a controller first to make sure I really want to race for more than a week or two probably.

steam_sig.png
    chrisnl wrote: »
    So I've been contemplating playing a racing game lately, but I'm not sure how deep into the sim side of things I want to go. I'm definitely not doing VR, and don't currently have a wheel but I know you can get a reasonable one for not too much money second hand usually. I was also informed that the Steam Summer Sale has started, so are there any recommendations for a starting point in maybe the middle of the simcade range? Something I could try out with a controller first to make sure I really want to race for more than a week or two probably.

What sort of racing are you interested in? Oval, Road, Rally, Rallycross?

Assetto Corsa Competizione is full on the sim side, but it's playable on a controller (as evidenced by the fact that it just released on consoles, too.) The only downside is that it's pretty much a GT3 game, so if you're looking for something else, it won't be there.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    F1 2019 is $15 on steam right now and it’s perfectly fun with a controller.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    F1 2019 is a great arcade racer that can fool you into thinking you are driving a sim

F1 2019 is $15 on steam right now and it’s perfectly fun with a controller.

Seconded. It plays just fine with a controller (or wheel, I am reliably informed by many - I'm a controller user), has a buttload of assists and options to tweak to find your sweet spot to start with and gain confidence with should you need/want to, it falls squarely in the simcade sort of position but can lean into either side to a degree, and looks great.

Older F1 games are in there at various prices too, and anything from 2016 onwards is a solid game, but each year adds some more things as well as updating the cars/rosters. The current "generation" of cars really starts in 2017, and the distinctive halo head-protection device of modern open-wheel racing cars starts in 2018.

2019 has a ton of DLC but it's almost all cosmetic. The only bits that aren't are the Anniversary Edition, which is two more classic cars (from 2010), and the Legends Edition which adds various cosmetics and two further classic cars (from 1990), which need to be unlocked in the rather half-baked Senna vs Prost mode commemorating two of F1's all-time great drivers and their rivalry. So both are very much optional and don't really affect the main game.

I got F1 2018 in some recent bundle so I think I'm going to try that out (on controller). Only other F1 game I've played is 2012, which I was not good at.

steam_sig.png
    You'll still find DNA from 2012 in there, but it did come on a very long way in those six years.

Hrm I'd say mostly road course style racing interests me, or at least tracks with left and right turns. Oval racing never really appealed to me that much, though it can be fun to watch. Something with a variety of car types would be nice, like with some sort of progression from cars that are closer to regular street car level up through high performance sorts like F1 or LMP cars sounds appealing, it would give me a chance to get to grips with racing at a slower pace before jumping straight into the insanity that is top tier 300+ km/h cars.

steam_sig.png
    Hrm I'd say mostly road course style racing interests me, or at least tracks with left and right turns. Oval racing never really appealed to me that much, though it can be fun to watch. Something with a variety of car types would be nice, like with some sort of progression from cars that are closer to regular street car level up through high performance sorts like F1 or LMP cars sounds appealing, it would give me a chance to get to grips with racing at a slower pace before jumping straight into the insanity that is top tier 300+ km/h cars.

Maybe Project Cars 2 then? It's simcade also, has a lot of cars from different disciplines, and it also looks great.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited June 2020
    So I just preordered F1 2020 because of course I am going to play it day 1 now.

But now there’s a steam sale for iRacing for half off and I’m tempted to throw down for a few months in that again. But I just got ACC. This dilemma!

davidsdurions on
    iRacing without content you care to drive isn't that good of a bargain. If I didn't have the GTE cars and F3, I wouldn't end up doing a lot of iRacing these days. As much as I love the online infrastructure.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Maybe Project Cars 2 then? It's simcade also, has a lot of cars from different disciplines, and it also looks great.

That's what I'm playing now with a gamepad, and it's pretty much exactly that.

VishNub on
    Though I do find that some of the cars are basically undrivable without at least low traction control on (fine throttle control is not a gamepad's strong point. Or maybe it's just not mine)

. And you have to fiddle with the settings a bit to get it to behave reasonably with a pad.

edited June 2020
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    iRacing without content you care to drive isn't that good of a bargain. If I didn't have the GTE cars and F3, I wouldn't end up doing a lot of iRacing these days. As much as I love the online infrastructure.

I played it pretty heavily for 2-3 years before baby #2. I haven’t decided to resub quite yet, though watching Mike and the Penny Arcade league race is rather tempting.

Edit: Well, I impulsed subscribed and joined the league. Downloading tonight, racing tomorrow.

davidsdurions on
    So I've been looking over the recommended games (from here and elsewhere) and I think I have settled on Project CARS 2. I also looked at Assetto Corsa and Assetto Corsa Competizione but those games seem a lot more limited in car and track selection, though they of course have many of the famous tracks available.

Something that always bugged me about Steam sales, though, is that the main game is discounted like 85%, but all the DLC is discounted 50%, so you see weird things like purchasing the deluxe edition being cheaper than purchasing just the season pass. Anyway I'll wait a couple days to make sure this isn't a complete passing fancy, but Project CARS 2 really seems to hit the notes I am looking for. I also considered picking up F1 2019 just to post some awful lap times with the other people in this thread, but while I do quite like the tech involved in the F1 cars, I have felt that the actual racing has been lacking for a while and I'm not sure how well it would hold my interest outside of stuff like player organized competitions.

steam_sig.png
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    So I've been looking over the recommended games (from here and elsewhere) and I think I have settled on Project CARS 2. I also looked at Assetto Corsa and Assetto Corsa Competizione but those games seem a lot more limited in car and track selection, though they of course have many of the famous tracks available.

Something that always bugged me about Steam sales, though, is that the main game is discounted like 85%, but all the DLC is discounted 50%, so you see weird things like purchasing the deluxe edition being cheaper than purchasing just the season pass. Anyway I'll wait a couple days to make sure this isn't a complete passing fancy, but Project CARS 2 really seems to hit the notes I am looking for. I also considered picking up F1 2019 just to post some awful lap times with the other people in this thread, but while I do quite like the tech involved in the F1 cars, I have felt that the actual racing has been lacking for a while and I'm not sure how well it would hold my interest outside of stuff like player organized competitions.

The actual racing in the F1 game is nothing like real life. You can follow right behind other cars around corners with barely any drop in grip or extra wear on tires, so it is easy to make passes. It's part of why it is absolutely not a sim in any way whatsoever

Veevee wrote: »

The actual racing in the F1 game is nothing like real life. You can follow right behind other cars around corners with barely any drop in grip or extra wear on tires, so it is easy to make passes. It's part of why it is absolutely not a sim in any way whatsoever

I mean they wouldn't want to make a game that features the impossible-to-pass dogshit racing they have now, would they?

DRS TRAIN: THE GAME

steam_sig.png
    I've been watching the full races they're posting on youtube roughly once a week, and they're all really good races that are interesting the whole time.

Which is why they're posting those races, because, yeah 80% of them are snoozers.

Hrm that is a good point. And also I see now that there is a $5 off a $30 purchase as well, with Project CARS 2 clocking in at $13.49 for the deluxe edition and F1 2019 at $17.49 for the Legends Edition that would qualify for the extra discount. I'm going to have to have a think about this.

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2020

That's not Steam Sales, that's the publishers being stupid about it *cough*Bethesda*cough*

EDIT:

Hrm that is a good point. And also I see now that there is a $5 off a $30 purchase as well, with Project CARS 2 clocking in at $13.49 for the deluxe edition and F1 2019 at $17.49 for the Legends Edition that would qualify for the extra discount. I'm going to have to have a think about this.

The nice thing about F1 2019 is that it has the F2 cars. You can race those until you become more comfortable with the whole idea.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .

That's not Steam Sales, that's the publishers being stupid about it *cough*Bethesda*cough*

Oh yes, Bethesda's crazy sale pricing is...

*puts on sunglasses*

...Legendary.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

I would second the Project Cars 2 purchase. Its track and car selection is amazing. Doesn't matter if you want to race touring cars, open wheelers, rally cars, modern cars, vintage cars or what track is your favorite. PC2 has a wide variety of both.

Project Cars 3 is around the corner and will come out August 28.

F1 2020 will be here in about 2 weeks (already preordered the Schumacher deluxe edition).

And I got ACC for PS4 today - lets see how that game is. If I only had more time to play - maybe I should quit my job.

TheBigEasy on
    edited June 2020
    Well Project CARS 2 has a demo, so I'm going to try that out right now! Or in like 2 minutes when the download finishes, but whatever.

-edit- Ran a couple races in the demo, first one an utter shitshow but with a fastest lap at least within shouting distance of the worst AI driver. Second race was a bit better, actually didn't finish last and had the second fastest lap of the race somehow. I think the sensitivity of the stick is a bit high or something though, because I can be following the line I want, then try to go a tiny bit tighter on the turn and it's like the wheel jumps 60+ degrees. Looks quite pretty and I know I can do better with some practice and control setup tweaking.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    PC2 actually really turned me off when I tried it because I did a parade lap with a field of AI, got rammed by the car behind me, and was given a 10 second penalty in the race, and the AI driver that rammed me never let me take my place back in the parade lap. It made the whole experience extremely unpleasant.

This discussion has been closed.