As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Remembering this incredible tweet. If I remember rightly he's also 'not fussed' about music and doesn't read.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    What does he do?

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Actually he likes horses and gambling and that doesn't he. A lad's lad.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    #hatefilms sounds way more sinister than the tweet itself.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What is this human emotion you call...joy?

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Australia/New Zealand will host the 2023 WWC :biggrin:

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Chelsea 2 Man City 1, 9 mins to go.

9 mins until Liverpool win the Premiership. I am ready to ring work tomorrow for the day off. And drink while watch a Liverpool season round up.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Incoming terrible "Fernandinho hands Liverpool title" headlines

Could have done with Chelsea losing to keep fourth place closer to us.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Incoming terrible "Fernandinho hands Liverpool title" headlines

As my friend said, a handball worthy of Suarez.

As careful as I've been, and as much as I disdain people who gather in crowds at the moment - I am so going to be in a pub for the man city match on the second of July.

Currently on my back step, drinking, listening to fireworks going off.

I'm in Liverpool, by the way.

And on my third can of Stella, after running out for drinks at half time.

Bogart wrote: »
    Could have done with Chelsea losing to keep fourth place closer to us.

Honestly, could city not have had the decency to let liverpool win it there instead of having to give them a guard of honour? Bottlejobs

edited June 2020

ignoring the fact that the tweet is from a man utd fan account, Lewandowski's numbers are absolutely insane

same number of goals as Mbappe+Neymar, Werner+Sabitzer and more goals than Liverpool's front three

fucking hell

Tav on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    the difference between bayern and man u's totals is about the same as the difference between lewandowski's and the average top player's

funny how that works out

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My own season's off the mark with me finally getting on the scoresheet today (3rd game of the season). Came close last game with 2 assists and a header that flashed just wide, but finally managed to get on the end of one today.

Started a dummy run down the wing to drag the defence wide and make a gap between the lines for our midfield to move into. Once he got himself set, I turned and cut in behind their center backs. Onside, in behind the line with only the keeper to beat, all I need was to collect the through ball when it came and send the keeper the wrong way, which I did. Good run, clinical finish, nice goal to start my season tally; hopefully not the last.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Six more to go, and they’re all tougher than the last three, but this is still very nice to see.

zhdz5zi8mq7q.png

Jesus Christ but Man City’s away kit is awful. Or maybe it’s their third kit, I dunno. Yellow into salmon pink?

xnv68vykbgyg.jpg

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    ebm2o1gu0aalnwh.jpeg

He since deleted the tweet, and issued an apology. Hopefully this is the end of his commentating career; just so no one has to listen to him anymore.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Lalas is long past fucking right off.

• Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    ebm2o1gu0aalnwh.jpeg

He since deleted the tweet, and issued an apology. Hopefully this is the end of his commentating career; just so no one has to listen to him anymore.

One might say he lacked the courage to actually stand by his convictions. Pathetic, given the sentiment he was trying to project.

• CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ but Man City’s away kit is awful. Or maybe it’s their third kit, I dunno. Yellow into salmon pink?

Between that strip, Gayle's howler and Martin Keown relentlessly tonguing the arsehole of Man City, it was a tough watch.

I maintain Newcastle weren't actually that bad, and were undone largely by an individual moments of madness and skill. Bruce gets a huge amount of stick, but he's shown he can adapt, and he can't be held accountable for Gayle being literally unable to pass the ball into the net.

Between that strip, Gayle's howler and Martin Keown relentlessly tonguing the arsehole of Man City, it was a tough watch.

I maintain Newcastle weren't actually that bad, and were undone largely by an individual moments of madness and skill. Bruce gets a huge amount of stick, but he's shown he can adapt, and he can't be held accountable for Gayle being literally unable to pass the ball into the net.

Newcastle have taken points off of City, United, Chelsea, Spurs, Wolves, Sheffield United this season. That's 6 of the top 8 and they're well clear of the relegation battle. People shit on Bruce because it's not pretty but player for player, i don't think they're that much stronger than the teams who are down there and its a testament to his gameplan and strategy.

Tav wrote: »

Newcastle have taken points off of City, United, Chelsea, Spurs, Wolves, Sheffield United this season. That's 6 of the top 8 and they're well clear of the relegation battle. People shit on Bruce because it's not pretty but player for player, i don't think they're that much stronger than the teams who are down there and its a testament to his gameplan and strategy.

There's a section of the fanbase who have descended into conspiracy theory, believing that Bruce gets an easy ride from the media where Rafa wouldn't have. I was disappointed when Rafa went, but at this point we're more likely to finish above last seasons position than below it, and it was done with an arguably weaker team. There's no conspiracy, he's just doing a decent job.

I'm trying to enjoy the fact that at the moment four local lads are in or near the first team, managed by a local lad, and owned by someone who, whilst scummy, isn't guilty of actual atrocities.

edited June 2020

I've never heard anyone say anything nice about him personally, but yes this was v good.

Bogart on
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Oh thank god there's a football thread on the PA forums.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Anyone see Man Utd's 0-3 counter goal? Pure sex

Greenwood is the real deal

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

That was terrific play from all three - Matic -> Greeenwood -> Fernandes

United are legit exciting to watch again. Anyone remember how dire they were just six months ago?

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

United are legit exciting to watch again. Anyone remember how dire they were just six months ago?

Careful, if we dare to have hope, we might jinx it.

sig.gif
    Bruno Fernandes is very good at football.

Its an odd sensation. For as long as I can remember, United were the big bad bogeyman of the league, then they were turgid to watch, and now I'd prefer to watch them over many other teams, and find the team and manager likeable. Truly strange times.

what i've found weird is that SO MANY TIMES i've seen a team's fans be all "oh we just need reinforcing in one area then we'll be good" but in this case it was actually true

in the 13 games Bruno has played, United have won 9, drawn 4, scored 28 and conceded 4

turns out replacing Lingard and Pereira with a good player had a positive impact on the team, who coulda guessed?

Man Utd's fixture list make me think they'll be in fifth at the end of the season.

Man Utd's fixture list make me think they'll be in fifth at the end of the season.

I'd reckon we're getting at least 4th. Leicester still have to play Arsenal, Spurs, Sheffield United and Man Utd while only having 1 win in their last 8 league games (and that was against relegation battling Villa). I just can't see United and Chelsea not overtaking them.

I haven't been paying much attention to the top three for a bit so I'd forgotten how bad their recent form has been. I'd love for them to go on losing horribly if it meant we ended up in fifth.

This discussion has been closed.