As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Voters Rights and the Suppression Thereof

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Aioua wrote: »
    I thought there was a specific constitutional process for admitting states but nope!

Just "New states may be admitted by the congress into this union".

So yeah I guess anything goes and you could probably do a "these territories will become states as soon as they vote for it" law.

Yeah, the process has varied many times. A few of the western states got handed like it or not statehood for various reasons, while on the other hand Hawaii was mich like Puerto Rico and had to have several successful votes before Congress acceded to their admission.

Really aside from the first 13 who were admitted upon signature of the same document the process hasn't been entirely the same for any states.

Hevach on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Any territory with population at least as much as the smallest state automatically is granted statehood as soon as they vote for it

This proposal has my vote

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Population migration is a thing. We need a floor.

"Any territory with population at least as much as one tenth of 1/<number of states>th of the US population can be admitted as a state. Any state which fails to meet that threshold for two successive censuses may choose to be combined with any existing, bordering state which is willing to do so, or reverts to being a territory."

(Wyoming and Vermont would cease to be states by this standard. DC still would be).

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Wyoming should cease to be a state, and we should combine the dakotas.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    How difficult would it be to add new Senatorial positions that was effectively representation for non-state territories. Like, basically they'd get one senator each, and then another if they became full states?

That'd have to be a modification to the constitution, right?

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    How difficult would it be to add new Senatorial positions that was effectively representation for non-state territories. Like, basically they'd get one senator each, and then another if they became full states?

That'd have to be a modification to the constitution, right?

Yeah, that would need to be an Amendment, I think.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Senate seat apportionment is in the Constitution, so it would need an amendment, and enough states would block it for it to be a dead end. Statehood is easy by comparison.

Also, I'd rather not open the constitution for modification in todays political climate. Yikes.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Honestly once we’ve admitted enough new states/senators to make it happen, we should amend the constitution to abolish the senate, expand the house, and limit the executive

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    2/3 of those don't need an amendment.

Doodmann wrote: »

We could turn Wyoming into a tree farm (mixing thread conversations with Doodmann!)

I'm honestly surprised DC wasn't just incorporated into Maryland to begin with, or at least in the 200+ years since.

Man, I just realized I'm probably going to miss the centennial on both ends.

edited June 2020
    DC was set up this way for seemingly good but actually bad reasons

It does make more sense as a VA or MD city but I’ll take it as a state

Captain Inertia on
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    DC was set up this way for seemingly good but actually bad reasons

It does make more sense as a VA or MD city but I’ll take it as a state

I get the non-residential areas being sort of like their own distinct thing. But when housing for a populace (White House residence and similar buildings excepted) was included in that area, those areas should have been carved out into the surrounding states.

But fuck it, make it a state now.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    When you had 13 states that started out more a loose confederacy and less a unified nation, making one The capital state was not particularly palatable to the rest.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    When you had 13 states that started out more a loose confederacy and less a unified nation, making one The capital state was not particularly palatable to the rest.

The other way around, actually. DC being explicitly under Federal Jurisdiction was because Pennsylvania and New York had basically told Congress they were on their own when angry mobs showed up and they called the local cops.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

The other way around, actually. DC being explicitly under Federal Jurisdiction was because Pennsylvania and New York had basically told Congress they were on their own when angry mobs showed up and they called the local cops.

Hadn't realized that part, but that also explains why the capital police answer directly to congress (I mean, besides Congress running the district, that's the kind of thing that would make them want to have security that answered directly to them - and with how the executive has been lately that's probably smart)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think "Washington, Douglass Commonwealth" isn't a very good name for a state.

cckerberos.png
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Puerto Rico and DC would give you 52 states, each one could have it's own week!

For Guam, Virgin Islands etc - the slightly odd case is that London has a larger US population than any of them.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think "Washington, Douglass Commonwealth" isn't a very good name for a state.

I mean, nobody says "Washington, District of Columbia" either.

Everyone will just say "Washington" like they do now.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Both Washington and Columbia are shite names

Tastyfish wrote: »
    Puerto Rico and DC would give you 52 states, each one could have it's own week!

For Guam, Virgin Islands etc - the slightly odd case is that London has a larger US population than any of them.

London becoming the 53rd state has to be the period on the batshit insane sentance that is the early 21st century, right?

Like it's so utterly and incomprehisible stupid it has to happen.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

They'd say DC to distinguish it from Washington State. Or they'd call it Douglass. What we use for a lot of state names is not the technical, official name for them. Though Rhode Island is finally going to be rid of "and Providence Plantations" for obvious reasons.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    It would be washington, columbia. The state would be columbia. The city washington

wbBv3fj.png
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

Wouldn't it be better to name the state "Douglass Commonwealth" and have the city of Washington be the state capitol?

cckerberos.png
    Goumindong wrote: »
    It would be washington, columbia. The state would be columbia. The city washington

No, because again, the bill (and the referendum DC voters passed a couple years ago) would change the name. The District of Columbia would be a small collection of buildings that make up the actual federal government. White House, Capitol, Reflecting Pool area, etc.
    (a) In general.—Subject to the provisions of this Act, upon issuance of the proclamation required by section 103(b), the State of Washington, Douglass Commonwealth is declared to be a State of the United States of America, and is declared admitted into the Union on an equal footing with the other States in all respects whatever.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

Wouldn't it be better to name the state "Douglass Commonwealth" and have the city of Washington be the state capitol?

That is what they're doing.

(Well I mean the Senate isn't going to pass it but...)

E: oh wait hahaha

going by that excerpt "Washington, Douglass Commonwealth" is the name of the state

facepalm

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I am fine with DC not being a state as I thought the ideal when it was created that it was not a state to it remained neutral
    I know in time people chosed to live there and other things
    One of the bonkers things I learned about long ago is many representatives and seantors rent a room from people living in the city and have since the early 1800's

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I'd be half-tempted to declare that the name of the state is simply "DC".
    What does the "DC" stand for? Nothing. Just "DC".

Commander Zoom on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    It can stand for detective comics

wbBv3fj.png
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Deleterious Cats.

Dogs ‘n Cats

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Dogs ‘n Cats
    Living together. Mass hysteria!

Yeah, that's appropriate.

We've already chosen the form of the destructor. The choice was made. The traveller has come.

I mean, how bad could the guy from The Apprentice be?

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Cz-YcdnXcAMxtXD.jpg

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    What thread am I in?

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Sadly I think they states have to agree to that and they won't. Despite their existence being silly.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    So all the fuckery in Kentucky, reminded me that in WI during the primary/SC election we only had 6 polling places open in all of Milwaukee in large part because the septuagenarian+ poll workers didn't want to be exposed. So last week I filled out an application to be a poll worker in November, and they got back to me and basically said - "we will be doing training in October and contact you then" - so yay?

Obviously everyone's situation and risk tolerance is different, but its something to consider if you are younger, in good health, already had COVID etc. I have an P100 respirator borrowed from work I can wear - though being clean shaven so it seals well will be sad face. I've had a beard for like 8 years or so.

For any other Badgers interested.

https://elections.wi.gov/index.php/elections-voting/voters/become-a-poll-worker

Go Pac, Fuck Trump, Fuck Da Bears

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I'd be half-tempted to declare that the name of the state is simply "DC".
    What does the "DC" stand for? Nothing. Just "DC".

We could launch a new calendar based on the founding of District Columbia as a state. We would have the years Before Columbia, or BC, and After District, or AD.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    So all the fuckery in Kentucky, reminded me that in WI during the primary/SC election we only had 6 polling places open in all of Milwaukee in large part because the septuagenarian+ poll workers didn't want to be exposed. So last week I filled out an application to be a poll worker in November, and they got back to me and basically said - "we will be doing training in October and contact you then" - so yay?

Obviously everyone's situation and risk tolerance is different, but its something to consider if you are younger, in good health, already had COVID etc. I have an P100 respirator borrowed from work I can wear - though being clean shaven so it seals well will be sad face. I've had a beard for like 8 years or so.

For any other Badgers interested.

https://elections.wi.gov/index.php/elections-voting/voters/become-a-poll-worker

Go Pac, Fuck Trump, Fuck Da Bears

IMPOSTER!!
    I kid, I kid :smile:
    (It's spelled with a K)

Just an update since we were talking about it in the thread: Booker took a decent sized lead when Louisville came in, but McGrath has been steadily narrowing it all morning and is about to pull ahead. She almost definitely won that primary based on the strength of the early vote.

This discussion has been closed.