As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Okay another question. My home has two switches, a normal, and a lite. The normal is mine, the lite is my wife's.

Before we got the lite, she had played stuff on the normal, including pokemon. She bought Let's go pikachu on her account, but I've been playing it on my account. I'd like to do some pokemon trading so I can evolve some stuff but I want to make sure I don't delete any of her stuff. We never did the data transfer from one switch to another, but it looks like I can transfer her data from my switch to her switch. But I want to make sure this isn't going to delete any data, such as her animal crossing save.

Also, will we be able to both play Let's Go at the same time and even trade pokemon perhaps? Not a deal breaker, I can always buy one of us Eevee if we need, but it'd be nice. Mainly worried about getting her saves over to the lite without deleting existing data.

You can transfer individual game saves. Note that transfer means the save appears on the destination switch and is deleted from the source switch. You need switch online cloud saves feature to actually have copies of saves on more than one system.

Individual game saves are normally completely independent per user, so transferring one game save for one user shouldn't affect anyone else's save. Animal Crossing's island being bound to one physical switch being the one big exception, there's no way to move that data around at the moment.

As for two people playing the same digital license at once, I thought you needed to set the primary switch for LGPE to be offline, at least at startup. If you want to trade you won't be able to use airplane mode for this, as you still need local wireless communication between the switches, so you probably have to go into internet options and disconnect from your wifi. Or maybe having wifi off for startup is good enough.

Note that LGPE does have a same-system couch co-op feature. Hand your SO a joy-con and they can hop in at any time and throw pokeballs to help catch mobs, or yes, they can bring a second pokemon into all your trainer battles. All progression is still with player 1 and this does take the game from very easy to insanely easy though. Maybe box your vastly overpowered starter 'mon to help compensate a little.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Voxelgram.

Who is playing Voxelgram here? I am deeply enjoying scratching the Picross 3D itch but I honestly don't know if I've ever struggle so much with camera controls. Especially in some of the more complex puzzles it's tough to see wtf is going on. Am I just stupid and doing something wrong? Is there a zoom in button?

I finished Voxelgram but I very nearly quit it early on because of the shitty controls. I don't really have any concrete advice, after a while it just clicked as to what the game expects of you, but it was never as easy as it should be. The one thing that saved it for me is working individual slices at a time whenever possible. A zoom would absolutely help, I used the built in Switch zoom a lot but obv you can't pan with that so its tedious to zoom in, analyze, zoom out, move, zoom back in, repeat repeat repeat.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    wait so i'm not allowed to dislike the announcement of a pokemon moba?

Where do I sign up for the "acceptable opinion" newsletter?

zombo.com

why did you have to remind me we can't go there anymore you meany

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    wait so i'm not allowed to dislike the announcement of a pokemon moba?

Where do I sign up for the "acceptable opinion" newsletter?

zombo.com

why did you have to remind me we can't go there anymore you meany

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Is the Pokemon DLC actually any good? I hate how boring and unchallenging the main game is - will the DLC actually give me interesting things to battle with my pokemans?

Once you beat the "story" of the DLC you unlock Restricted Sparring. Basically, you choose a type and take in a team of three that all have to have that type (dual type is ok so long as the chosen type is shared between all of them). Then you have to beat five battles. Damage/status effects/used up held items are kept across the battles, but you get two full refreshes that can be used. Your opponents do not have a type restriction, so you have to be able to counter your chosen types weaknesses. I like to make mono-type teams so Restricted Sparring is great fun for me.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    All the best luck to them, I hope it can be improved. A lot of Switch games are not thaaaat much more/less demanding than Outer Worlds and look a lot better, there has to be a way to get it less muddy. It will never be better than on other consoles but I hope they can get it up to acceptable Witcher 3 level!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I keep thinking about going back to Pokemon Sword for the DLC but then I remember how much I don't like dynamax-ing.

Its the dumbest mechanic. Mega Evolution died for this.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm thoroughly over the alternate forms, especially because it's the kinda of mechanic designed to be left behind for future titles

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I find dynamaxing pretty cool. It opens up some fun strategies for every Pokemon (need a speed boost? Dynamax and use a Flying attack! Need rain/a terrain/whatever? Become big!) I can see how it would turn people off though, especially if they were big fans of Mega Evolution.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I like how dynamaxing doesn't require you to hold an item to use. That right there makes it a ton better than both Megas and Z-Moves for me.

I can see not liking how you can only use it in specific battles, but the feeling when you're at the end of a gym and everybody is Rita Repulsaing their monsters and the crowd kicks into the music is the hypest pokemon has ever been.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I found Sword to be utterly, devastatingly boring. I'd skipped SuMo too, it had a jump of two gens to wow me with and it's just... so dull.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    People always get themselves set up for this, they hype themselves on stuff that is unconfirmed and then get mad when it isn't exactly what they wanted. Most people expected a Let's Go 2 (gen 2 remake) which tbh sounds awful even as someone who loves Gen 2 the most, or just another by-the-numbers remake of the Diamond Pearl Gen in the SwSh engine (which probably still gonna happen but not any time soon)

Obviously you're wrong. This is the Pokemon Company's way to spit in the face of every single gamer that has played video games or thought about it.

You're being dramatic, but I'm even less impressed by Sword and Shield now that we've found out those resources went to a DOTA-style game, YEARS after the MOBA bubble burst.

This is from a mobile game studio that specializes in this kind of game, not game freak, so it's not like they would have been hired to work on the mainline games if they hadn't been making this

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    I swear by this grip. Only downside is that it ships out of Hong Kong. Not a total dealbreaker though- I bought one earlier in quarantine and it still made it to the US in a reasonable amount of time.

I tried the Hori chunk monster and it didn't quite work for me. I felt like my hands were more steepled around the back of the hori-cons than I could stand for long sessions.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    You can also get the same grip here from Amazon. I got it for about $25 back in March. It is definitely a great grip and makes using the Switch in handheld mode so much more comfortable.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The Satisfye grip is excellent for sure. They also sell bundles that come with a case for the grip + games & accessories as well.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

VBlank really really likes porting his games to old hardware, for example he put Retro City Rampage on DOS and the NES. Unlike those, though, this one is actually for sale.
    The Wii version is limited to 3000 copies, and will be PAL only as only Nintendo of Europe would manufacture the discs. $30, available July 9th at 10 AM Pacific. The Wii U version is region free and will be available in NTSC.
    The Wii and Wii U versions include all of the currently released content and feature updates, including the Mogul Update, the Full Tank Update, and the many other little tweaks, improvements and optimizations that went into the game post-launch.

Both versions will also allow you to experience the game in the most retro way possible... in 4:3 on your old CRT televisions... and in my opinion, it looks glorious!

The Wii version supports both 50hz and 60hz, and both NTSC and PAL output. It supports the Wii Remote (with shake!), Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro, and GameCube Controller. I took special care to ensure it parallels the experience of the more powerful platforms, and further optimized it to fit entirely into the Wii system memory. This means that you won't experience any disc load times during gameplay. Once the game boots, you're in!

The Wii U version supports both SD and HD, 4:3 and 16:9. You can play it with the Wii U GamePad, Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Remote, Wii Classic Controller, or Wii Classic Controller Pro. It can be played entirely on the GamePad (with touch!), or on the TV from the comfort of your couch.

Considering Ubisoft announced that the previous Just Dance game will be the final one on the Wii, this seems to be a lock for the last-ever Wii game.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'm surprised they never made a smaller Wii. Or is that kinda what the Switch is?

They should have called it the Wee Wii.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised they never made a smaller Wii. Or is that kinda what the Switch is?

664cca26f347454e9c22133554fa3dba-1200-80.jpg

They did, the Wii Mini. Came out after the Wii U, or maybe just before. Originally only came out in Canada, came out in the US a year or so later.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I had no idea Canada had such a particular love for mini Wiis.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

They did, the Wii Mini. Came out after the Wii U, or maybe just before. Originally only came out in Canada, came out in the US a year or so later.

When it was first announced I planned to buy one to keep my hundreds of Virtual Console games on for years to come. Then found out it had NO internet capabilities. Disc only. Boo.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular

I may have actually bought one if someone had called it a Wee Wii. Worth it for the jokes alone!

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    I had no idea Canada had such a particular love for mini Wiis.

It's just cold up here.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

When it was first announced I planned to buy one to keep my hundreds of Virtual Console games on for years to come. Then found out it had NO internet capabilities. Disc only. Boo.

Yeah, if it was purely a size reduction and maybe remove the gc ports, I would have picked one up. It's a shame they didn't do that.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    yeah the wii mini was absolutely baffling.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    wow I never even heard of it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Smaller form factor and no online makes affordable replacements for all the Wiis in senior centers and retirement homes.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    And no gc compatibility at all, no controller or memory card ports. And no component/s-video support.

tl;dr Don't get a Wii mini

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Smaller form factor and no online makes affordable replacements for all the Wiis in senior centers and retirement homes.

Yeah, I assume it's primary market was for that "blue ocean" crowd that otherwise didn't give one hoot about any of those other bells and whistles.

Though I'm not sure if it came out just before or just after it was ultimately decided that the whole "blue ocean" market was a dead end market.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Is "blue ocean" a dead market or did it simply...uh...flow into the other colored oceans?

What I mean is, everyone plays video games now. Former gaming teens are now adults who still play them, and so do their kids. The massive "untapped" older market who didn't play them is shrinking.

If anything, the Wii served as a gateway drug into gaming and anyone who started there has spread out into every other platform. It's no longer a single market that one platform can claim.

• Options
    Replace "every other platform" with "mostly mobile" and you have it.

• Options

I don't want to discount the effect on families who never would've brought video games into their house if not for the phenomenon of the Wii, whose children then grew up looking beyond Nintendo -- call it what you will, more grown-up consoles, or "cooler" consoles.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I don’t know if the Wii “blue ocean” is dead, they’re probably still playing Wii Sports bowling.

Nintendo courted a one-time purchase audience. And I hate to say it, a number of senior home players have probably passed away by now. It’s not like appealing to a young audience that will be buying games for many decades to come.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Looking up blue ocean strategy, one of the tenets is to "make your competition irrelevant," and that aspect seems to continue to this day. Or at least, the Switch carved out a similar niche as the Wii.

Back then it was "which console should I get, the PS3 or 360? (And obviously we've already got a Wii.)"

Now it's "should I get an XBox One X or PS4 Pro? (And obviously we've already got a Switch.)"

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I think an important thing to note is that this red Wii was very inexpensive. I know several people that got them just because they missed the Wii Wave but loved playing Bowling at a friend's house. I believe it was $100 (my friends got it for $80) Canadian Bucks which is like... $12 US. It was the cheapest price of entry to be able to play Lego Harry Potter games.

• Options

I don't want to discount the effect on families who never would've brought video games into their house if not for the phenomenon of the Wii, whose children then grew up looking beyond Nintendo -- call it what you will, more grown-up consoles, or "cooler" consoles.

OK but let's not pretend its remotely proportional. The "blue ocean" people have not disappeared or all graduated to "real" gaming.

The controller/mouse remains one of the main barriers to console/PC gaming, particularly for people not trained on these in their youth. The Wii, DS, and Kinect all introduced controllers that were more intuitive and took minimal training to get basic results with. Smartphones then took the non-controller of a person's finger and introduced convenience and rock bottom pricing (or at least, the appearance of) and its the biggest part of the industry now. As Stadia is now finding out, system price is not the biggest barrier in gaming, its the controller itself.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Mechanical complexity is a lot of it. My mother loved Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, and Frogger back in the early 80s, but the most complex of those used all of five buttons that could each be explained with a simple text label, and figuring out how to play the game was a matter of watching a 2-minute attract mode. Games got a considerable higher barrier to entry in the mid 80s.

• Options
    OK but let's not pretend its remotely proportional. The "blue ocean" people have not disappeared or all graduated to "real" gaming.

I don't know that the explosion of mobile gaming can be attributed to the Wii. For example I don't think anyone bought a Wii and bowled a little and then said "that was so much fun, I'm gonna buy a smartphone now." The smartphone came of its own accord and a lot of people stumbled onto various mobile games on their own, or through word of mouth (coworkers asking to play Words With Friends with you!).

I was specifically talking about whatever still-expanded market can be attributed to the Wii itself, and I think the proportion there is likely more of a mixed bag. True, I'm sure the Wii made gaming less scary to some of those people. I just don't think you can say a lot of people graduated from Wii to smartphones. They were gonna smartphone anyway to begin with, that wasn't Nintendo's market that somebody else ran away with.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    True, I'm sure the Wii made gaming less scary to some of those people.

I don’t think Wii did that for anyone. Wii Sports was popular because people know and enjoy bowling. Let’s Dance is popular because people like to dance. No one played Wii Sports and decided Zelda or Metroid is something they’re not scared of anymore. If they did, they’re in the extreme minority.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    My grandfather played and still plays Wii Sports to this very day. We tried to get him to play a more advanced golf game once and he was not interested.