As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Oh so it's a documentary about 2020.

The federal government in The Leftovers actually seems competent most of the time.

It's uplifting in these times, like the Chernobyl miniseries was.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

@Jacobkosh I totally forgot someone was doing a Foundation series. The vague sense of Apple TV's output so far I have from reviews floating around the ether is that they're kind of blah, and this looks like an ad for a rip-roaring SF action adventure, which the Foundation books aren't, but hey ho.

• LindLind Registered User regular
    Disney+ is coming to Sweden 15 september.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

@Jacobkosh I totally forgot someone was doing a Foundation series. The vague sense of Apple TV's output so far I have from reviews floating around the ether is that they're kind of blah, and this looks like an ad for a rip-roaring SF action adventure, which the Foundation books aren't, but hey ho.

Which is kind of funny as rip-roaring SF Action Adventure is the complete opposite of most of the Foundation stories. Its all about how the great forces of history makes individual choice irrelevant. At least until the Mule pops into view.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

The original is very, very good. Presumably the second will be without Gibson, who is a terrible person and is in the news for being a terrible person, again.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

@Bogart I watched the trailer, I was like "hmm," and then David S. Goyer's name came up. Fucking Christ, he can't keep his greasy hands off anything I like. I wish he would fuck all the way off forever. Foundation was not missing edgelord violence and 90s suburban-white-guy cynicism from the auteur who brought us Blade.

rRwz9.gif
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    David S. Goyer is like what you'd get if an unwashed Tool t-shirt from 1997 gained sentience.

rRwz9.gif
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    David S. Goyer is like what you'd get if an unwashed Tool t-shirt from 1997 gained sentience.

thats a bad thing now?

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

thats a bad thing now?

I have bad news for you nexus, it's always been a bad thing.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The only good thing about that teaser is Jared Harris.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

thats a bad thing now?

Tool t-shirts have always functionally served as warning labels.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I have precisely one high school friend who fits that description and...yup.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Which is kind of funny as rip-roaring SF Action Adventure is the complete opposite of most of the Foundation stories. Its all about how the great forces of history makes individual choice irrelevant. At least until the Mule pops into view.

Man, I really want this to be good as a Foundation fan, but that trailer definitely does not evoke the right feelings. For my sanity, I’m going to remain cautiously optimistic that they put together a misleading trailer to bring in a bigger audience.

Edit:
    Cautiously optimistic is probably the wrong term. More like naively hopeful, or climate-change-denier stubborn defiance.

eMoander on
    Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
    David S. Goyer is like the back seat of your '92 Trans Am that still smells like barf when the weather gets warm from the time you partied too hard when celebrating your brother getting off probation.

rRwz9.gif
    RedTide wrote: »

thats a bad thing now?

Tool t-shirts have always functionally served as warning labels.

well I never

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

The original is very, very good. Presumably the second will be without Gibson, who is a terrible person and is in the news for being a terrible person, again.

Wait, what did he do this time?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

I believe the new one is referring to Jews as "oven dodgers."

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

Winona Ryder Accuses Mel Gibson of Making Anti-Semitic and Homophobic Remarks

Also relevant:
    Mel Gibson’s Role in ‘Chicken Run’ Sequel Will Be Recast
    Looks like they didn't even think of inviting him back.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Man, what a piece of shit.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Doodmann wrote: »

thats a bad thing now?

I have bad news for you nexus, it's always been a bad thing.

This anti-Tool agenda is as sad as trying to turn Foundation into some sort of sci-fi action drama TV series. Or really, into a TV series at all.

Lets note her career got ruined by a shoplifting incident

His is going strong

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Jacobkosh I totally forgot someone was doing a Foundation series. The vague sense of Apple TV's output so far I have from reviews floating around the ether is that they're kind of blah, and this looks like an ad for a rip-roaring SF action adventure, which the Foundation books aren't, but hey ho.

Thanks I hate it

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

She says he made those comments 25 years ago or more, it's not anything new. I mean, he could be better, worse or the same, but it's not something he did last week.

'Ryder first made the allegation back in 2010 during an interview with GQ, according to the New York Post. She said that the alleged incident took place in 1995.'

Nosf on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

His is going strong
    I would not characterize Gibson's career as "going strong".

Coinage on
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

His is going strong
    I would not characterize Gibson's career as "going strong".

I also wouldn't characterize Winona's career as ruined by a shoplifting indecent when Mr. Deeds was right around the corner. Shoplifting was like, a push start. Longfellow Deeds threw the car in gear and hit the gas.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    And Winona now stars in one of the biggest TV shows in the world so it all worked out in the end. Gibson is unfortunately still rich as fuck from his heyday but what are you gonna do?

(tax him)

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Turned in my cable box to Spectrum today. Apparently I don't watch TV anymore - just stream. Ugh. Getting old and having to adopt "disruptive" non-aggregated media bullshit young people use until it all inveitably collapses like a black hole back into aggregate homogeneity that is Network television, 2042...is tiring.

[kidding]

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Turned in my cable box to Spectrum today. Apparently I don't watch TV anymore - just stream. Ugh. Getting old and having to adopt "disruptive" non-aggregated media bullshit young people use until it all inveitably collapses like a black hole back into aggregate homogeneity that is Network television, 2042...is tiring.

[kidding]

Having to subscribe to 5 different monthly streaming services is ironically the hell cable told us a la carte would be. (It's still usually better)

steam_sig.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

[kidding]

Having to subscribe to 5 different monthly streaming services is ironically the hell cable told us a la carte would be. (It's still usually better)

It's only that way because cable has decided to make it that way. With better consumer protections in regards to digital media, all this splintered content shit would not need to be a thing.

[kidding]

It's only that way because cable has decided to make it that way. With better consumer protections in regards to digital media, all this splintered content shit would not need to be a thing.

How? Like, what would be the rule change that would make this happen?

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

[kidding]

How? Like, what would be the rule change that would make this happen?

It would take a lot more than just a single rule change. It would need a badly-needed overhaul of copyright law to bring digital media rights into this century at a minimum, plus striking down all this region locking bullshit at the same time. It's utterly insane that something like Netflix has to have three different lineups of shows for three different countries because of geographic boundaries, and then you have to multiply that for all the different services and all the different regions.

Basically, there should be an assload more material in the public domain, a streaming service should be able to put everything it has a license for in any region it wants, the likes of Disney should get to say fuck-all about the duration of copyrights, and most shows that exist now should be on a flat fee system for licensing instead of this insane exclusive, massively-overpriced system. If five different services feel like adding MASH to their lineup in every region in which they operate, it should all cost them the same licensing fee. Obviously material made exclusively by a given service should stay exclusive to that service for a certain number of years, but stuff past, say, thirty years old should not need a stupid amount of digging to find who currently has the streaming rights.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    There's only like three media companies in this country, so why do they keep chopping up their content and spreading it around? I should only need those three, Netflix, and Amazon. That should cover everything. But I can't because fuck knows.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    There's only like three media companies in this country, so why do they keep chopping up their content and spreading it around? I should only need those three, Netflix, and Amazon. That should cover everything. But I can't because fuck knows.

Because they can maybe get the same person to subscribe to 2-4 streaming services dedicated to their individual broadcast companies by splintering their IP amongst them.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    Almost through our rewatch of Dark in preparation for the 3rd season

its very good if you have not watched it

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

I watched season 1 and 2 over a long weekend. Amazingly good.

I’ll try and stretch season 3 out, say 2 episodes a night.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

It's good but it's also a pretty heavy show. Not much levity there.

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

You can definitely get to a state like Spotify where the content isn't exclusive at all and it goes for bargain basement prices. The flip side of that is how absolutely TERRIBLE it is for the people who actually make, produce and edit that content.

Nothing. Matters.
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It's good but it's also a pretty heavy show. Not much levity there.

Also you really have to pay attention. All those white people look the same. And I say this as a white person.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That is why I have only made it four episodes in. Keeping track of everyone across multiple timelines when they all look the same is not especially fun, even though the show is really good.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.