As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Maybe the blue ocean strategy was ahead of its time. Maybe the strategy fits more with a ubiquitous item that virtually everybody now has (ie. cellphones). But like people have said now, the goal of the strategy was to take non gamers like grandpa, lure them out and get their feet wet with Wii Sports, and then maybe they'll try some deeper stuff like Mario or Zelda. As it turns out, grandpa took Wii Sports, and then turned right around and disappeared back into the ocean, never to be seen again. ...And now I've mixed up the metaphors, is Nintendo the blue ocean, or grandpa? :) Either way, the whole concept was a complete dud. As for today... while I very much doubt grandpa is buying a Switch for anything, I can also see the likes of 51 Clubhouse games you can slap down on the table and get grandpa to play.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    You could argue the concept was a dud, but the Wii made an insane amount of money for Nintendo. The console itself sold at a (admittedly small) profit, so anything in the way of extra controllers or games was gravy.

Sadly, they basically fell flat on their face with the WiiU. Some solid first-party games in the first few years, but then dead in the water. On the plus side, they learned a lot from the Wii/WiiU stuff and brought it with the Switch.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    You can’t argue with the number of systems Nintendo sold but it was very much a one hit wonder. Wii was the Macarena of video games.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Wii has a reputation for shovelware and being a bowling system but it had a bunch of games that broke a million sales and might be in my top five in terms of overall library.

Wii has a reputation for shovelware and being a bowling system but it had a bunch of games that broke a million sales and might be in my top five in terms of overall library.

Mario Galaxy is hands down my favorite Mario game but it wasn’t good because it was on Wii. The pointer and waggle stuff is pure fluff. Boom Blox was one of the few Wii games I wouldn’t want to play with any other controller.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    About Mario Odyssey..

Should I just beat the game before going back to clear out areas?

Every time I try to do it now, it always seems theres some obstacle barring me from completing areas 100%. Its kind of annoying.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    About Mario Odyssey..

Should I just beat the game before going back to clear out areas?

Every time I try to do it now, it always seems theres some obstacle barring me from completing areas 100%. Its kind of annoying.

Yes, because a lot of end game content becomes unlocked across every world as soon as you do.

You're going to have to go back to them regardless.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Mario Galaxy is hands down my favorite Mario game but it wasn’t good because it was on Wii. The pointer and waggle stuff is pure fluff. Boom Blox was one of the few Wii games I wouldn’t want to play with any other controller.

I heard great things about Boom Blox but never had an opportunity to try it out. My Wii motion control standouts were Pandora’s Tower and Onechanbara. Every time I start thinking bad thoughts about the little white box, I have to stop myself with “yeah, but there were those games that were actually brilliant.”

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

It had an attach rate of around 11:1 which is pretty much standard, it sold somewhere over a billion pieces of software.

It also has some of the highest rated games of all time, which is pretty impressive. It just sold so well, and was relatively underpowered compared to its contemporaries, that it got probably the highest crap to gold ratio of any console that generation.

Every console has its share of "the greatest games of all time", and I probably wouldn't put the Wii top 5 in libraries overall, but it had some absolute bangers. Mario Galaxy 1/2, Xenoblade, Twilight Princess, Prime Trilogy, DKC Returns, Sin & Punishment 2, Punch-Out!!, No More Heroes, Madworld, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Mario Strikers 2, Silent Hill, Radiant Dawn, Excite Truck, Endless Ocean. And it also had some stellar ports of existing games, like RE4 and Okami.

Taramoor on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    OK but let's not pretend its remotely proportional. The "blue ocean" people have not disappeared or all graduated to "real" gaming.

I don't know that the explosion of mobile gaming can be attributed to the Wii. For example I don't think anyone bought a Wii and bowled a little and then said "that was so much fun, I'm gonna buy a smartphone now." The smartphone came of its own accord and a lot of people stumbled onto various mobile games on their own, or through word of mouth (coworkers asking to play Words With Friends with you!).

I was specifically talking about whatever still-expanded market can be attributed to the Wii itself, and I think the proportion there is likely more of a mixed bag. True, I'm sure the Wii made gaming less scary to some of those people. I just don't think you can say a lot of people graduated from Wii to smartphones. They were gonna smartphone anyway to begin with, that wasn't Nintendo's market that somebody else ran away with.

I think mobile games are descended more from stuff like flash-based web and facebook games that then moved on to smartphones yeah, not much DNA shared with any console or handheld

BahamutZERO.gif
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    DS is literally the first touch based portable gaming that was immensely popular. 3DS never measured up nor will the Switch and Nintendo absolutely lost that portion of the market.

And yeah hardly anyone was buying smartphones for gaming. They bought them for the internet at their fingertips and then found they could also get all the gaming they wanted there too.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    DS is literally the first touch based portable gaming that was immensely popular. 3DS never measured up nor will the Switch and Nintendo absolutely lost that portion of the market.

And yeah hardly anyone was buying smartphones for gaming. They bought them for the internet at their fingertips and then found they could also get all the gaming they wanted there too.

Nintendo didn't lose that portion of the market it was just combined with the home console market (perhaps a generation too soon).

For example I only owned a 3DS before the Switch and never really messed with the WiiU.

I have a feeling the number of people who only owned a 3DS last gen correlates closely with the number of users who prefer to only play their Switch in handheld mode.

Edit: I personally think Nintendo slipped up a bit by not releasing an actual 3DS successor this gen to cover things until they could actually make a system that excels in both the handheld and home console space. The Switch is an important first step but they're not there yet. They are still at least a generation away from having technology capable of accomplishing that.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Review-ish thing of Fell Seal Arbiter's Mark since getting it on sale:

Most of its mechanics are 100% stolen from Final Fantasy Tactics and that's not a bad thing. Turn order, individual character initiative, facing matters for accuracy, you even have a counter ability learned from every class that determines what can happen when you take a hit (counterattack, or cast Renew on yourself, etc.).

The music and graphics aren't bad. The backgrounds actually look really nice, sort of like an upgrade to FFTA-style. You can't rotate your view similar to FFTA so they tried to design maps so that you wouldn't need to.

Cool things:

- You can shove or teleport enemies into water where they will drown if they can't swim.

- Items are replenished after every battle. No longer do you buy 99 potions, instead you have a few potions to use every single battle, and these can be upgraded for more uses and higher effects.

However I feel like they overbalanced the game way too much, to the point of removing things that were fun in FFT.

- You can't steal items from people. Instead you steal random components, which can be used to craft your own items (from a limited set, you can't craft most gear you see in the shop). Yes I'm sure FFT was unbalanced in that you had to steal certain unique gear during certain battles or you could miss it, and it messed with the gold economy, but this is less fun. No longer do I start a battle and scan over enemy gear and say "ooh that guy has an awesome accessory, I'm gonna try to get it."

- Status effects feel less significant to me, especially time-altering ones. It used to be that Haste was the most incredible effect that could get you double the amount of turns, but I'm really not seeing the point here. Casting Haste doesn't modify the immediate turn order visible on the screen, it seems like you have to wait for that person's turn to come around again and then in the future they'll get some extra turns, so it's possible that it takes longer to kick in than a battle tends to last. Same with Stunning Strike on an enemy. I'm not sure how much good the equivalent of Protect is doing me in this game. A lot of effects feel small and it's tough to visualize how they add up; a common status is Thorns which retaliates on any attack with a little 5-10 bit of damage. But then you learn a passive where you can heal 15 damage by walking.

- All characters start at 0 MP at the start of battle and regen 10 per turn. This is disastrous. You can't use any significant effects out of the gate, and have to stand around doing nothing to get enough MP for a big attack, then go back to standing around again. You have to avoid the temptation to actually contribute to the battle by casting Fire 1 or Mass Shield to just wait until you can cast Fire 2. Or, if the abilities you want to use cost less than 10 MP like the scoundrel's Sneak Attack, then MP is just plain not a factor at all since you get 10 back per turn.

- Enemies have way too much variety right from the start of the game and aren't visually distinct enough to tell apart their functions in battle. I just joined a random fight and it has a mercenary/knight, wizard/ranger, scoundrel/plague doctor, peddler, and ranger. I don't know what to expect from these enemies at all. I can go look through their equipment and abilities, but it's an annoyance that I don't have some idea of what I'm facing at a glance. In this battle it turns out the wizard/ranger has a rod equipped and the only ranger ability he knows is Rooting Shot so I don't know why he even has that class. I miss from FFT entering a battle, seeing 3 thieves and 3 archers, and being able to say ok, got it.

- Too many classes have one or more methods of healing, and therefore too many enemies can heal. It becomes an up-down slog of attrition at times. I get that they didn't want to force players to bring dedicated healers into every battle, but it might be too much.

In general the game feels too difficult on the default difficulty. It's still fun and worth $10. But it's not quite FFT.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular

God I loved Boom Blox so much. I wish it could come to Switch

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    - All characters start at 0 MP at the start of battle and regen 10 per turn. This is disastrous. You can't use any significant effects out of the gate, and have to stand around doing nothing to get enough MP for a big attack, then go back to standing around again. You have to avoid the temptation to actually contribute to the battle by casting Fire 1 or Mass Shield to just wait until you can cast Fire 2. Or, if the abilities you want to use cost less than 10 MP like the scoundrel's Sneak Attack, then MP is just plain not a factor at all since you get 10 back per turn.

Honestly most of those things you said are just generic strategy RPG things that FFT didn't even invent. But this is straight-up from FFTA2, right down to the amount of MP you get per turn being 10.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    edited June 2020
    TamerBill wrote: »

Honestly most of those things you said are just generic strategy RPG things that FFT didn't even invent. But this is straight-up from FFTA2, right down to the amount of MP you get per turn being 10.

Not to mention Tactics Ogre before it.

rahkeesh2000 on
    edited June 2020
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Honestly most of those things you said are just generic strategy RPG things that FFT didn't even invent.

I wasn't trying to say that everything I mentioned was directly from FFT and nowhere else, but the ones I listed are a "stew" of FFT-specific things that combine to make the game feel very similar in many ways. It's obvious the game takes a lot of inspiration from FFT and many reviews mention this as well.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    I want to strangle whoever decided to make the 100 jump rope power moon challenge a thing in New Doink City.

Its my day off work and this game is trying to make me spend it being a masochist. I thought this was supposed to be a baby game, dammit!

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I'm surprised they never made a smaller Wii. Or is that kinda what the Switch is?

They should have called it the Wee Wii.

I may have actually bought one if someone had called it a Wee Wii. Worth it for the jokes alone!

We Agrii!

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I want to strangle whoever decided to make the 100 jump rope power moon challenge a thing in New Doink City.

Its my day off work and this game is trying to make me spend it being a masochist. I thought this was supposed to be a baby game, dammit!

If you ride a scooter into the jump rope challenge and line it up right, it makes it so much easier. The scooter's jumps are much more consistent than Mario's

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

I don’t know if they’ve patched it by now but I did it in the end with some kind of glitch involving talking to the parrot and certain camera angles that let you freeze and hover in place in the air. Took a lot of faffing and many, many attempts but was still less frustrating than doing it legit as I just could not manage it, scooter or not.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Cruor wrote: »

If you ride a scooter into the jump rope challenge and line it up right, it makes it so much easier. The scooter's jumps are much more consistent than Mario's

I don’t know if they’ve patched it by now but I did it in the end with some kind of glitch involving talking to the parrot and certain camera angles that let you freeze and hover in place in the air. Took a lot of faffing and many, many attempts but was still less frustrating than doing it legit as I just could not manage it, scooter or not.
    Using the scooter and jumping to the beat of the girl shouting "hey!" helped me get it done thankfully.

Phew.

Beware of fake Switch news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nejuAqJ7tWQ

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Late to the whole Blue Ocean thing, but it's arguable that Switch brought at least some of that audience back. Animal Crossing has become a bonafide cultural phenomenon, though granted the Covid lockdown may have helped.

The whole Blue Ocean thing is so hard to parse. It went all in for Wii, vanished for Wii U, and then came back at least partially for Switch. Meanwhile smartphones cut into the audience for the 3DS but hasn't effected the semi-portable Switch.

In other words, the market's weird, yo.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293

I would also like to strangle the person that put that King of Jump Rope GARBAGE IN FINAL FANTASY IX HOW DARE YOU THIS IS WHAT I CALL TOXIC MINIGAME GARBAGE JUST LET ME PUSH X UNTIL THE ENEMIES DIE DON'T MAKE ME JUMP ROPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hmm. I may have some unresolved issues with FF9.

cloudeagle wrote: »
    Late to the whole Blue Ocean thing, but it's arguable that Switch brought at least some of that audience back. Animal Crossing has become a bonafide cultural phenomenon, though granted the Covid lockdown may have helped.

The whole Blue Ocean thing is so hard to parse. It went all in for Wii, vanished for Wii U, and then came back at least partially for Switch. Meanwhile smartphones cut into the audience for the 3DS but hasn't effected the semi-portable Switch.

You could argue the Switch is doing more poorly than it appears because it's a combined console.

At one time we had Wii doing incredibly well + DS doing incredibly well and now we only have Switch doing incredibly well.

You could divide up the Switch's sales arbitrarily and say some percentage of them are sold to people who would've bought Nintendo's next home console and another percentage of them are people who would've bought Nintendo's next portable. The Switch isn't selling like the Wii, it's selling like Wii+DS but only doing Wii numbers.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

You could argue the Switch is doing more poorly than it appears because it's a combined console.

At one time we had Wii doing incredibly well + DS doing incredibly well and now we only have Switch doing incredibly well.

You could divide up the Switch's sales arbitrarily and say some percentage of them are sold to people who would've bought Nintendo's next home console and another percentage of them are people who would've bought Nintendo's next portable. The Switch isn't selling like the Wii, it's selling like Wii+DS but only doing Wii numbers.

I'm betting this is completely acceptable to them because of the savings on development costs, and the ability to get more titles to both types of users.

sig.gif

I'm betting this is completely acceptable to them because of the savings on development costs, and the ability to get more titles to both types of users.

I think that sort of thing would be a nightmare to figure out. You could argue that they were better off with a handheld and console because there are people who would buy both. A household might only have one Nintendo console but multiple handhelds, as I’m sure there are quite a few multi Switch households.

They might be saving money on development by only having one platform but now every game has to be developed with HD assets. I don’t know much but I know it’s not cheap. It used to be that roughly half (if not more) of Nintendo’s games were developed for lower resolutions.

All I know is that I’m the happiest I’ve been with Nintendo since the GameCube. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to being Nintendo-only but at least now I’m not regretting my Nintendo purchases.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Also Pokémon (and Fire Emblem and a bunch of other traditional portable titles) is sixty bucks now instead of 40. That’s gotta help.

• rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    My wife played Mario Kart at home as a kid (fun trivia: we actually played MK on N64 at the end of our first date!). She's really shown minimal interest in gaming at all since then.

She's now so deep into Animal Crossing that I had to go buy her a Switch Lite and second AC copy just to have any hope of seeing my Switch again.

rndmhero wrote: »
    My wife played Mario Kart at home as a kid (fun trivia: we actually played MK on N64 at the end of our first date!). She's really shown minimal interest in gaming at all since then.

Shouldn’t have used that blue shell on her.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

It was Iwata's vision to combine the home console and handheld markets, they're just following it. IMO a tad bit too quickly. I'm pretty sure Iwata himself would have seen the need for at least one more dedicated handheld before actually combining them.

Edit: BTW where the hell is the English translation of that Iwata-san book at? They announced one like a year ago (after threatening to shut down fan translations) but there hasn't been a peep about it since.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular

It was Iwata's vision to combine the home console and handheld markets, they're just following it. IMO a tad bit too quickly. I'm pretty sure Iwata himself would have seen the need for at least one more dedicated handheld before actually combining them.

Edit: BTW where the hell is the English translation of that Iwata-san book at? They announced one like a year ago (after threatening to shut down fan translations) but there hasn't been a peep about it since.

It would have been extremely disappointing to have a console that switches to portable and also have a portable console. The switch is so amazing because it can be played both ways. I would be so angry if another system was siphoning games from it.

The 3DS was already way down from the DS. That's enough reason for a business not to follow that path anymore.

edited June 2020
    shadowane wrote: »

It would have been extremely disappointing to have a console that switches to portable and also have a portable console. The switch is so amazing because it can be played both ways. I would be so angry if another system was siphoning games from it.

The problem is that the Switch is neither a very good portable or a very good home console. It does both things sort of ok, but it's nature as a hybrid means it can't really go all out in either area. There is still room for an actual portable that can play smaller games as well as have some functionality with the Switch. This is what I mean by they are not quite there yet. They are not in a place where they can make something as portable as a 3DS or DS Lite and still have enough power to create a satisfying home experience. It's great that you like to play your switch lite and switch in handheld, I do too, but let's be honest with ourselves. It's barely a step up from the WiiU gamepad and if you want to take it anywhere with you you have to put it in a special case and carry a backpack full of accessories along with. That's not a truly portable experience.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »

The problem is that the Switch is neither a very good portable or a very good home console. It does both things sort of ok, but it's nature as a hybrid means it can't really go all out in either area. There is still room for an actual portable that can play smaller games as well as have some functionality with the Switch. This is what I mean by they are not quite there yet. They are not in a place where they can make something as portable as a 3DS or DS Lite and still have enough power to create a satisfying home experience. It's great that you like to play your switch lite and switch in handheld, I do too, but let's be honest with ourselves. It's barely a step up from the WiiU gamepad and if you want to take it anywhere with you you have to put it in a special case and carry a backpack full of accessories along with. That's not a truly portable experience.

i don't know how much of that is a market fact and how much is personal feeling. There is a difference.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    My opinion is that the switch's battery life is holding it back from being a proper mobile console. I view it more as a console that I can take with me to the couch when someone else wants to use the TV, or a console that's easy to take with me when I am travelling (note, not to play while travelling, but to say, take it to my mom's house and play it while I'm visiting her on vacation).

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure Iwata noticed 3DS sales fell off a cliff on in the middle of its lifespan. Nintendo needed something big to get people interested in portables again, and Switch was it. And now we've got tons of people playing the Switch Lite.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    My opinion is that the switch's battery life is holding it back from being a proper mobile console.
    Do you have the original or the revised model?

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru