As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    I do appreciate that the Light of Eltharion rules acknowledge his kinda retconned stint as a Swordmaster in Hoeth.

Also I want his rules as a template for Phoenix Lords in 40k.

You know what would be cool for PL? battlefield resurrection: sacrifice an aspect warrior of the right aspect within 3" and on a 2+ the PL gets back up w/half wounds or something. Maybe a 4+ but Exarchs get +2?

that seems like a ynnari thing

That's how the Phoenix Lords work. Hence the name.
    When they die, they wait for a new person to put on the suit who subequently gets absorbed into the gestalt matrix of the armour. Exarchs work similarly. The difference is that in the Exarch suit the current wearer has full control while he can draw on the minds of the Exarchs who wore the armour before them, while with the Phoenix Lords the original soul of the first owner is so strong that it stays in control even if a new person puts on the armour.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Getting a bit into Underworlds made me glance at Age of Sigmar, since I've got a bunch of Vampire Counts lying around. Also I saw the Abhorrent Archregent and that is so awesome.

So I was looking at points costs for Flesh Eater Courts, and it feels very hard to tweak points? Like if I'm over by 10 points, there doesn't seem to be a way to just drop 10 points. Or am I missing something?

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    No, you're right, the points are much less granular in AoS than, say, 40k where you're paying for individual wargear. Personally I quite like it cos it's much easier to write lists up, but you will sometimes end up with 10-30 wasted points at the end.

Don't despair, however! For one thing the player who has the lowest costed list in a game gets to roll on a little table of quite powerful bonuses (granting a one-time use of either re-roll saves, hits, or wounds for a single unit) so there is a bit of a mini-game in trying to get as close to 2k as possible without giving your opponent a triumph roll. Alternatively if your army has any wizards in it you can throw in a cheap endless spell to plug the points gap, Malevolant Maelstrom is only 10 points, I believe, though that does depend on having the endless spell models available, and for some of those cheaper spells just aiming to get a triumph roll might be more valuable...

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Oh cool, I didn't see the Malign Sorcery stuff. Looks like I can make a 1k Flesh Eater Court army with a box of Crypt Horrors, a box of Crypt Ghouls and my Terrorgheist and Crypt Ghouls, and the awesome Abhorrent Archregent. Which also gives me an extra Abhorent Ghoul King, 3 Vargheists, a Varghulf Courtier and 10 more Crypt Ghouls that I already have to expand. And have some fun buying the Flesh Eater Court Malign Spells.

I'm tempted...

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    They are a fun, powerful army with some interesting options (though granted many of those options are just various ways of eating peoples faces in close combat, but still) just be aware that they do have a bit of a summoning mechanic so you will probably want 2-3 extra units on top of the ones you're paying points for.

• Options
    It's Warhammer Undead. I'd be disappointed if there wasn't a summoning mechanic.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    -Loki- wrote: »
    It's Warhammer Undead. I'd be disappointed if there wasn't a summoning mechanic.

Cries in Nighthaunt.

I mean we can restore dead models to units but it's not quite the same thing as summoning new things whole cloth.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I do appreciate that the Light of Eltharion rules acknowledge his kinda retconned stint as a Swordmaster in Hoeth.

Also I want his rules as a template for Phoenix Lords in 40k.

You know what would be cool for PL? battlefield resurrection: sacrifice an aspect warrior of the right aspect within 3" and on a 2+ the PL gets back up w/half wounds or something. Maybe a 4+ but Exarchs get +2?

that seems like a ynnari thing

That's how the Phoenix Lords work. Hence the name.
    When they die, they wait for a new person to put on the suit who subequently gets absorbed into the gestalt matrix of the armour. Exarchs work similarly. The difference is that in the Exarch suit the current wearer has full control while he can draw on the minds of the Exarchs who wore the armour before them, while with the Phoenix Lords the original soul of the first owner is so strong that it stays in control even if a new person puts on the armour.

Yeah, each Exarch suit is basically a miniature version of the Infinity Circuit in each Craftworld; all the ghosts of previous Exarchs exist within and they can’t join the greater Craftworld circuit because their entire life is violence and murder and basically the rest of the dead Eldar think that’s icky, and in poor taste considering, so they don’t allow it. But that’s why Aspect Warriors simultaneously revere and revile Exarchs; they’re the pinnacle of their craft but they’re also completely nuts (in Eldar terms) and can’t even die properly. Phoenix Lords are that but worse – the poor idjit that puts on the suit is effectively committing suicide to score psycho nerd-points but goddamn do they look cool doing it.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Parts of Eldar society, Iyanden and Ynnari at least would probably be in the death faction in AoS. Bunch of necromancers.

A death faction that isn't totally beholden to Nagash would be interesting anyway. Just some people going, hey Nagash, you suck. We made our own god of the dead. Deal with it.

honovere on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Parts of Eldar society, Iyanden and Ynnari at least would probably be in the death faction in AoS. Bunch of necromancers.

A death faction that isn't totally beholden to Nagash would be interesting anyway. Just some people going, hey Nagash, you suck. We made our own god of the dead. Deal with it.

Order has almost a full pantheon and not just Sigmar

Chaos of course has the full range

It would be nice if Death did the same and had more than the one leader/god

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Originally I thought that this was what the Nighthaunt were. Like, the Necroquake happened and I knew it didn’t go exactly to Nagash’s plan and some how I just assumed the Nighthaunt weren’t under his control.

It didn’t take long for me to realize this wasn’t the case. So yeah I’d be done for an independent Undead faction.

To some degree the FEC are like this. One Court even fought alongside Stormcast against Nagash. Having sworn an oath to come to the defense of “helpless peasants” (Stormcast).

I wanna see more shit like that from the FEC. I think they’ve great potential for expanded lore and minis.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

It did. Then Nagash ate them.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    My kickstarted female fauns arrived. So I have 12 female fauns, 12 male fauns, 6 centaurs (any mix male/female), and a minotaur (male).

I´m thinking of turning them into a beasts of chaos warcry warband.

They´re smaller / more slender than GW equivalents, but by sticking them on scenic bases they probably won´t look too off. (The centaurs are way too small to be dragon ogres, but they could sub for minotaurs. Fauns would most easily make gors or ungors. Any weapon combo is doable.)

Anyone got any ideas/tips on listbuilding?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

It did. Then Nagash ate them.

Yeah, there's some nice fluff in the Bone Bros book. tl;dr there were several afterlives where souls went. Katakros came from one of them, and conquered them all in the name of Nagash.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Nagash hates the idea of there be any other gods at all, he'd never tolerate another death god

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Nagash hates the idea of there be any other gods at all, he'd never tolerate another death god

especially if they had a bigger hat

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Ynnead doesn't have a hat at all, just a big horn. Although his swirly stuff is almost on Nagash's level.

Maybe they could get to an understanding. Ynnead is technically not the god of death but the god of the dead, literally consistent of a good portion of all the stored souls of dead Eldar. Although there's the rub, I guess, Nagash wants all the souls.

honovere on
  • Options
    Turns out that someone in our group has a 2k Sigmarite army that I didn’t know about. So I’ll have someone available to play at least.

• Options
    Ynnead doesn't have a hat at all, just a big horn. Although his swirly stuff is almost on Nagash's level.

Maybe they could get to an understanding. Ynnead is technically not the god of death but the god of the dead, literally consistent of a good portion of all the stored souls of dead Eldar. Although there's the rub, I guess, Nagash wants all the souls.

Or they could compete against each other like the Chaos gods do.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If been fiddling with lists more and AoS is so cheap to get into compared to 40k. AStart Collecting box, an extra Battleline box and some extra box of something interesting tends to get you near 1k points.

Nice change from the hideously expensive WHFB.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    If been fiddling with lists more and AoS is so cheap to get into compared to 40k. AStart Collecting box, an extra Battleline box and some extra box of something interesting tends to get you near 1k points.

Nice change from the hideously expensive WHFB.

It is though in the words of my brother I got the army I wanted to play in WHFB the DoK so it's cheaper to build an army than it was. But I kind of want to get some more basic witches and some more to do Sisters of Slaughter but to also get some Melusai
    Either way compared to what I want to do to my Idoneth [To get basically a start collecting box a Akhelian Leviadon and maybe Isharann Soulscryer the last two are maybes} Just the Dok is one of the debates as do I want to get the current start collecting and build a third cauldron of blood/bloodwrack shrine or what?

still I did but the Realm Lords for my brother so I am curious how he will build his army
    He has been playing with my Khrone Demons so he had some ideas about what to get for them {the death metal album cover items and maybe a greater demon I was using Valkia the Bloody as a generic demon prince and for real

• Options
    Welp, I sliced my finger open nice and good (Khorne needed his offering), but I got my Ghouls and Vargheists off their old square bases.

Younger me thought it would be a good idea to use plastic glue. Younger me also used GW plastic glue, so it wasn't too bad. Aside from the aforementioned finger.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    So when I started collecting for my Underworlds squads, I didn’t pay enough attention and bought the AOS versions which meant that they didn’t come with their cards.

Looking around I found a couple of good resources for getting PDFs and PNG files for the cards so that I could print proxies. (PNG files can be pulled directly from the GW sites)

Then I found a local print shop inside a UPS store that were able to print them in colour onto some great card stock for the faces and just regular paper for the backs.

Next up I will get some plain clear sleeves to place them in after I separate them.

So all told, it looks like the cards will cost me around $50 for some 300 cards(I also printed all the Shadespire base cards so that I could do full proxy decks otherwise people could tell the proxy cards in their deck from the purchased ones)

So a bit more expensive and a bit more work for me all told by about $20, but I get to use all my warbands that I accidentally cheaped out on.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Playing my first game of Warcry since the pandemic started today with a friend who got into it

They’re bringing Gloomspite Gitz, think I’ll make it hard for myself and bring Bonereapers

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    General's handbook 2020 gonna be this weekend's pre-order?

Here's hoping for buffs to my factions and nerfs to all my enemies.

• Options
    Gonna be a lot of spare pages in the GHB now that all the factions have their own books, I wonder if they'll find something to fill in the space or just release a slimmer volume.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Gonna be a lot of spare pages in the GHB now that all the factions have their own books, I wonder if they'll find something to fill in the space or just release a slimmer volume.

Possibly split like the last 40k Chapter approved.

One booklet with point adjustments and another with missions and fluff.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    05wbb1h47h3x.jpg

why yes I have been playing a long Yvresse campaign in TW2

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Still I want to see that sprue of him as he and the photobomb are probably the pinnacle of fragile figures

But hopefully it comes this week so I don't have to hear about my brother being salty about this elves. just there are tons of questions I have and little things like what the start collecting box will be

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Khraul wrote: »

You would be correct.

WBnfL1k.jpg
    No matter how you like to roll in Warhammer Age of Sigmar, there’s something for you in this year’s General’s Handbook. The Warhammer Age of Sigmar Studio has once again analysed feedback and tournament results, and made some points adjustments to help balance the armies. But balance adjustments aren’t all you can expect from this book – you’ll get a new way to play battles in the skies, rules to create your own bespoke heroes, and complete rulesets for multiplayer gaming. In fact, this year’s General’s Handbook is chock full of ways to play games with more than 2 players, whether you’re looking for a narrative experience with deal-making and back-stabbing or want to throw down with the balanced tactical challenge of a war on two fronts, this year’s General’s Handbook has you covered and then some.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Yusssssss! Called it.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Also i saw an image going around showing that they are revamping realm rules from malign sorcery in GHB 2020. Artefacts changing hard.

• Options
    Khraul wrote: »

GHB 2019 did that last year before Chapter Approved did it!

But yes, it looks like realm rules are being revamped/simplified/changed in some aspect, I wonder if that means Malign Sorcery will be being discontinued, it had been around a fair while, but the new Seraphon tome features those endless spell models quite heavily.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I'd love to be able to buy just one or two endless spells without dropping cash on the whole huge box

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    For sure, I don't own malign sorcery but I think they were all on separate, coloured sprues?

I'd never use half the spells so I didn't bother with the box, but I'd probably pick up a separate cogs at least.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Does EBay not provide there? Though I suppose the usefulness of them is so varied that the good ones must cost so much you might as well buy the full set and you can't shift the rubbish ones.

If it helps they also make nice magical scenery or objective markers etc.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I'm sure you can probably pick up singles on Ebay, yes, I've never written a list with endless spells in mind so I've never really looked!

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Trolltrader look like they sell spells separately.
    I’ve not gotten anything from this site but I was thinking of picking up some stuff.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I've used Trolltrader many times. No issues.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The last time I checked ebay for endless spells from either of the boxes they were so expensive that it wasn't worth it.

I did just find a guy selling a couple of the old Ruins of Osgiliath kits from GW's LOTR fantasy battle game in a facebook group though. LOTR is technically scaled at 25mm, but that terrain kit works fine for 28mm heroic. I had gone to buy the multi-kit from GW a while back and found out that they had pulled it off of the store like two days beforehand and I have been kicking myself ever since. I'm pretty stoked to be able to finally grab a couple of them.

This discussion has been closed.