As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Yeah but I didn't play enough to get masters in beta!

I don't know what it is. Game is significantly better now though. I played maybe the first four to six weeks of beta and bounced off it because deck diversity seemed low at the time.

Part of it is also probably that magic seems significantly worse.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    There is way too much burn, which leads to very mindless decks that attack every turn so long as it gets you just low enough to burn with a handful of spells. You need to cut down on how many spells can target a nexus.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Partly that's because of the decks they nerfed.

But it's also because a ton of people are trying to hardcore climb the ladder right now and the best way to do that is super fast aggro decks.

• Options
    Burn isn't mindless. Not at say, platinum or higher.

Also, new meta. Aggro wins over control or mid-range decks that aren't untuned. Control decks, for example, are trying to figure out how much life gain they need.

• Options
    I'm actually having a ton of fun with elusive burn. The self bounce shenanigans are super fun to figure out and pull off. Play disciple and demo, then solitary monk to pick them both up and attack. Then replay the disciple and demo. Then play retreat to pick the monk up and then put it back down to replay disciple and demo. Then play Navori Conspirator to pick up the demo and replay it to close out the game.

Aside from that, there are just a lot of fun plays that you can do similarly, like picking crap up to keep buffing Greenglade Duo, all the pickups really make Navori Bladescout worthwhile throughout the game. Just picking up demo a bunch does a ton of work, or the retreats let you just save your bodies from drains, or you can gain a lot of advantage by putting down monk when your disciples are low on health to reset them.

So if you want to be a scumbag but have fun doing it Elusive Burn: 5/5

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I'm even getting blasted by the elusive poros, I'm not really mad at the poro decks because they worked hard to get those giant poros but delete the tag rito

Coinage on
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Got 7 wins with mono Freljord deck using the new Braum and Anivia. Anivia was already a powerhouse, but 1 mana reduction is huuuuuuge, and Braum is way less of a tempo sink.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    And I am finally done. Every region track to lvl 23.

Still got some wildcards and card backs to get but I've gotten all the region-specific free cards I can.

Now I'm sure my weekly vault openings will get even more useless.

But still, feels freeing.

• Options
    Not useless! Start hoarding them shards for the next expansion. It's always nice to go into new content and be like "yeah I got that."

I wonder if that's part of the motivation with how they restructured the new card releases. Shiny new shit will come out more often so you'll be incentivized to keep spending down. You won't be able to look at the whole set and say "Okay I want to spend my wildcards on this." You'll probably just impulse spend it on whatever new stuff and then more stuff will come out and if you had known in advance, you wouldn't have gotten some of the new stuff, you would have gotten that instead, but okay damn it let me spend some money on wildcards.

• Options
    Gauntlet is live, so you fools have all weekend and some change to get your 7 wins. You gotta stick with one deck for the whole run, I'm kind of waffling on what to commit with.

• Options
    I'm on my second run as Kinkou Elusives. So far I played against Nox/Frel midrange, Kinkou Elusives, Nox/Frel Self-Harm, Heimer Control, Heimer Control again, and a Yeti deck with an Ionia splash for elusives and Deny.

Heimer seems like the best choice. If I don't get it with Kinkou by the third run I'll swap over.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Done with the game for now. Nab is still a bad mechanic even if totally balanced. I did not come to this game for more Hearthstone horseshit, and even if it’s not nearly as bad, it’s still annoys me and losing because of things outside my control just irritates and I can spend my time on something that isn’t obnoxious.

I do not understand why devs need to lean on this crutch of random effects when there is already random draws to prepare for and react to. But I guess I’m a minority on this so that’s just how it is.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    What's best against heimer control? Just a hard burn?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Brody wrote: »
    What's best against heimer control? Just a hard burn?

You basically have two options as far as I can tell: burn him out so even if he gets Heimer down and pops off, he can't stabilize. Alternatively, go for control. Use vengeances to kill him (damage based removal is dicey with barriers and twin disciplines) and use Withering Wails to slaughter his droids by the handful.
    Sterica wrote: »
    Done with the game for now. Nab is still a bad mechanic even if totally balanced. I did not come to this game for more Hearthstone horseshit, and even if it’s not nearly as bad, it’s still annoys me and losing because of things outside my control just irritates and I can spend my time on something that isn’t obnoxious.

I do not understand why devs need to lean on this crutch of random effects when there is already random draws to prepare for and react to. But I guess I’m a minority on this so that’s just how it is.

Randomness lets bad players win games they shouldn't and lets them feel good. There's a reason there are a kajillion card games out there and chess isn't the hot thing. Fully deterministic games just mean you just get your shit totally punished relentlessly by those better than you. It's also important for players to be able to blame something else. You see this in team games with the "No, I'm not bad, all of my teammates are feeders" or "This card/interaction is broken and that's why I'm not ________ rank."

I also think there's probably some meme component. You get a streamer flipping out with joy because they high rolled a Make it Rain or something and that goes a little viral. Builds hype.

A good example is how Commander is the most popular magic the gathering format. That was started entirely organically. Players are showing a preference for random zaniness.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    I used to play Starcraft 2 back when that was the go-to competitive game a decade ago. Losing in SC was soul crushing, you knew that every loss was totally your fault and every game was winnable if you'd just made fewer mistakes. I've yet to find another game that made me that deeply emotional about winning and losing. There's a lot of catharsis in being able to lean back after a bad beat in a card game and just say "luck didn't go my way this time".

Also, got my 7 win gauntlet on run number four. Ended up playing Kinkou for the first two and P&Z/Nox Burn for the second two. There's actually quite a bit of variety, the only decks I saw multiple times were Heimer, Kinkou, and Self-Harm.

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    I used to play Starcraft 2 back when that was the go-to competitive game a decade ago. Losing in SC was soul crushing, you knew that every loss was totally your fault and every game was winnable if you'd just made fewer mistakes. I've yet to find another game that made me that deeply emotional about winning and losing. There's a lot of catharsis in being able to lean back after a bad beat in a card game and just say "luck didn't go my way this time".

Also, got my 7 win gauntlet on run number four. Ended up playing Kinkou for the first two and P&Z/Nox Burn for the second two. There's actually quite a bit of variety, the only decks I saw multiple times were Heimer, Kinkou, and Self-Harm.

I was big into SC2 and SFIV when those games were out and the stress/nervousness/ladder anxiety is another fucking level from anything else. Those things are high highs and low lows though. When I won, especially those all important rank up games, I would literally be out of my chair fist pumping. When you lose it's like you said, totally soul crushing.

I don't know how high you got but I got to Diamond. Every very rare once in a while someone would run some bs cheese strat. Most of the time it would fail and you'd beat it with good scouting, but every once in a while you'd lose just because you were a little off, not paying attention, or you weren't expecting it because hey, it's Diamond. We're supposed to be good and respectable. Nothing is worse than that. "Oh, I died to the most incredibly scrubby nonsense and I should be well beyond that." It's like someone playing mind games in SF they keep picking option 1 in a 50/50.

People think they want their own personal skill reflected in the games and that's just not true for most people. Every game that's popular has someone or something external you can blame. The people who are bad just bounce off shit like Starcraft because they can't win and they can't internalize "Hey, you specifically are the reason you're failing you need to work hard to get better." That's a hard truth.

• Options
    I was Gold my first season, Diamond my second, low Masters my third, and then fourth onward high Masters (like rank 10 or lower) until Heart of the Swarm came out and I moved on to Dota 2. The Penny Arcade community was really strong, we had Grandmaster people in every race but Terran including a dude named Hummingbird who played random, and that helped a lot with learning, skill progression, and practice partners.

I never had as strong of a feeling about cheese as other people seemed to. I played Terran so tossing in 2 Rax stuff was just part of keeping people honest, and I hated doing the midgame micro for TvP so I usually just all-ined at some point. I even had a 1 base Reaper/Marauder/Hellion all-in I invented specifically for close positions on small maps.

• Options
    Yeah I was pretty around for the pa community. This place was a large part of why I pushed myself to get there.

And you're absolutely right, the cheese and stuff is there for a reason. It's like aggro in a meta. It makes sure you're not being too greedy and doing your scouting properly, which is why it was such a downer when I would lose to it. It wouldn't make me angry, just disappointed. If you were doing what you were supposed to be doing, you wouldn't have lost to it.

The difference is, when you lose to cheese in LoR you can just say "well I didn't draw my will of Ionia, that's what went wrong."

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Yilias wrote: »

I was big into SC2 and SFIV when those games were out and the stress/nervousness/ladder anxiety is another fucking level from anything else. Those things are high highs and low lows though. When I won, especially those all important rank up games, I would literally be out of my chair fist pumping. When you lose it's like you said, totally soul crushing.

I don't know how high you got but I got to Diamond. Every very rare once in a while someone would run some bs cheese strat. Most of the time it would fail and you'd beat it with good scouting, but every once in a while you'd lose just because you were a little off, not paying attention, or you weren't expecting it because hey, it's Diamond. We're supposed to be good and respectable. Nothing is worse than that. "Oh, I died to the most incredibly scrubby nonsense and I should be well beyond that." It's like someone playing mind games in SF they keep picking option 1 in a 50/50.

People think they want their own personal skill reflected in the games and that's just not true for most people. Every game that's popular has someone or something external you can blame. The people who are bad just bounce off shit like Starcraft because they can't win and they can't internalize "Hey, you specifically are the reason you're failing you need to work hard to get better." That's a hard truth.

Oh, I know why I'm bad at SC. And most games. Thats why I mostly play PvE games with very little external impetus to succeed. Card games like this are one of the few things I still play competitively, probably because I miss playing MTG with my friends in highschool/college.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular

I completely agree. As a mechanic, it's completely degenerate, extraordinarily random, can be actually quite good in terms of card advantage, and has no meaningful counterplay (aside from having a deck full of combo pieces that are weak elsewhere - but if you're running that then you may be really hurt by losing something out of your deck.) It's fucking insane that something like that isn't just some permanently C tier niche gimmick.

The game would be far better off if it just cloned cards from your deck and/or they were visible. Really shocking how Hearthstone-esque it is in a game that seems to be deliberately avoiding so much of that quality.

• Options
    In practice drawing from the bottom of your deck is the same as copying them.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    In practice drawing from the bottom of your deck is the same as copying them.

Not necessarily, as there are still fetch cards in this game.

• Options
    Yeah, cloning is basically the same as it is now, unless you want them to clone from the top but that seems pretty bad because now they know what your draws will be.

I'm in favor of revealing the cards since it would really drastically reduce the feel bads for others but you'd have to do something to buff the cards a touch then.

I don't really understand the "it's so random hearthstone esports" complaint. You know the cards in your own deck, you know what you've drawn and what you played, that's a lot of info to work with to narrow down the possibilities. Hearthstone is truly lolz so random.

If you nerfed the cards into us c tier bullshit you'd have to do something else for the faction, it relies on it.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I don't totally get the level of vitriol I see for Nab.

Imagine if, instead of Nab drawing from the bottom of the opponent's deck, it drew from your own deck. Wouldn't that just...be stronger? You know for a fact that your own cards will synergize with your strategy, whereas your opponent's cards aren't guaranteed to do so. Also, champions are usually among a deck's best cards, but you can't draw them from the enemy deck, further deteriorating the quality of the draws. The specific card you get is equally random either way. But I don't see people flipping out over regular card draw effects. You can randomly hit either a perfect answer or a dud out of a Glimpse Beyond as well. Or your regular start-of-turn draw, for that matter. Why is it only intolerable when Nab does it?

The discount on Black Market Merchant exists to counteract the downsides of drawing from the opponent's deck instead of your own. Is that the piece that's overtuned? Is cheap, reliable card draw so scarce in Runeterra that a faction having it at all is oppressive? Am I missing something? Or is this just one of those "humans are bad at probability" scenarios like how people think milling cards off the top of your deck is risky but tossing them off the bottom is safe even though both cases are statistically identical (Freljord deck-stacking mechanics notwithstanding)?

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    There’s entire decks for Bilgewater that doesn’t rely on Nab. Honestly, if an entire region relies on one mechanic then the design is really, really bad. But as I said before the mechanic as it exists now is okay, although I’d wager it’s be better to lean away from it as a major mechanic for Bilgewater.

But for me it’s also other random effects. Like losing to make it rain because you lost odds on its target. While the devs take far more care than Hearthstone to make random effects more competitive, it’s not for me and I’m not going to play something that makes me heated over that kind of stuff.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    they should make unyielding spirit also nab

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    @Wyvern I totally agree and I feel like nab is a poster child for confirmation bias. You very acutely remember the one time you got 2 mana denied or they stole your only Ruination or whatever, and the times where they get a Cithria of Cloudfield or Dreg Dredgers just fade into the background.
    There’s entire decks for Bilgewater that doesn’t rely on Nab. Honestly, if an entire region relies on one mechanic then the design is really, really bad. But as I said before the mechanic as it exists now is okay, although I’d wager it’s be better to lean away from it as a major mechanic for Bilgewater.

But for me it’s also other random effects. Like losing to make it rain because you lost odds on its target. While the devs take far more care than Hearthstone to make random effects more competitive, it’s not for me and I’m not going to play something that makes me heated over that kind of stuff.

Bilgewater as a whole isn't anchored on it, maybe I phrased it wrong, but large sections of it would be diminished and the faction would need help. Deep would be fine. MF would get splashed around. TF would vanish, he needs good cheap card draw. Many Bilgewater centered decks would go because the totality of the plunder package is valuable, but much less so when you remove the incentives. Every faction is has a few poles around which certain cards orbit. Noxus has self harm and overwhelm and stuns and you can see how bad that faction is when those poles are reduced. PnZ is low key one or the worst factions in the game. They are literally only played for Heimer and the burn.

I think make it rain is a fine card because you can really tailor the randomness. Can you remove other things first? Can you make it so any outcome works? How greedy do you want to be with it? The randomness also gives it clear weaknesses since it's bad at dealing with a lot of bodies of various health. It is less random than it seems thanks to it's low mana cost it will commonly read "deal 1 to all enemies."

I wouldn't want there to be many more random effects of make it rain's level, nor would I want individual effects to be much more random than that, but it's fine. Sometimes you get good shots and it feels great.

• Options
    Ugh lost at 5 wins. Lost one game because I forgot he leveled up Maokai so I played Shadow Assassin and decked myself. I won the next game though, lost to another burn deck, and then a deep deck with way too much life gain.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Ugh lost at 5 wins. Lost one game because I forgot he leveled up Maokai so I played Shadow Assassin and decked myself. I won the next game though, lost to another burn deck, and then a deep deck with way too much life gain.

That sounds terrifying. "Sit down, we're going to be here a while."

• Options
    It took me a few tries to get 7 with the dumb elusives, it was harder than I was expecting. I'm ready for the elusive hard nerf, all the followers cost 3 mana more. Teemo is a good boy, he can stay

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    HOT DAMN! FIRST TRY!

peh3g2ces2qx.png

Went 7-1 with my homebrew Anivia/Braum deck. A lot of Aggro, which I'm teched well against. Lost one game to an Elusive Aggro player with great draws and just enough damage.

Here's the code if you want to use the deck yourself:
    CEBAIAIBAMERQMQHAECQCDYUDUQCQNQBAMAQCAIMDYAQCAIBEE

But yeah, I'll take it!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Went 1-2 on the next attempt. Barely turned the corner against PnZ burn, lost to Kinkou Elusives, and then my aggro nemesis: the deep deck. I think the most clutch card they have is the 3/2 lifesteal. That sucker can really set you back, so when they get two of them, woof.

Started the next run with Kinkou Elusives. It loses some explosiveness for the ability to grind it out better.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    lpa4i9v4clxv.jpg

Hell yeah! Went 7-0 first try!

I played a Kalista-Sejuani version of the "Endure" deck that I was playing in ranked before the patch. I like it a lot better than the one with Elise. Sejuani works great with Neverglade Collector and works as a win condition more often than They Who Endure/Atrocity honestly (that's still there of course).

It also uses Ancient Crocolisk which is a card I used a lot in my first real LoR deck so that's fun. It's a fat hulk to bring back with Kalista, and also works as an uncounterable Drain 2 for each Neverglade Collector you have out.

Some of the games were very close, and I was forced to do some desperate stuff like using Atrocity on an enemy Neverglade Collector to keep things just from tipping over the edge.

Played against a variety of decks. Ephemerals, Deeps, Yasuos, Miss Fortune-Gangplank, Elusives.

Good luck out there!

• Options
    Been testing out the new Braum. I feel like he's still weak, at least in this meta. He's not elusive, so that's a huge mark against him from the start. And he's super vulnerable to hard removal and/or recall effects. Both of which are in the same right now very popular region too.

I feel like after the last meta being pretty good we've somehow circled back around to nothing but elusive toxic crap again.

• Options
    "Dover, why do you still run Expeditions? They're terrible value."
    "Because sometimes, this happens..."

sgxzan415zse.png

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

sgxzan415zse.png

Because sometimes you can nod your head in appreciation at a truly expert-level trolling?

"You get 2 champions!"
    "WAHOOO!"
    "They are both Shen! HAHAHAHAHAHA."

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Been testing out the new Braum. I feel like he's still weak, at least in this meta. He's not elusive, so that's a huge mark against him from the start. And he's super vulnerable to hard removal and/or recall effects. Both of which are in the same right now very popular region too.

I feel like after the last meta being pretty good we've somehow circled back around to nothing but elusive toxic crap again.

Braum is weak to recall or removal? He's definitely way better than he used to be, he can leave behind a 3/3 and then he gets reset so he can make another one in the case of bounce.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    shryke wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

sgxzan415zse.png

Because sometimes you can nod your head in appreciation at a truly expert-level trolling?

"You get 2 champions!"
    "WAHOOO!"
    "They are both Shen! HAHAHAHAHAHA."

To be fair, before opening that Capsule, I was only missing 7 Champions. Getting x2 Shen means I'm only missing:

Katrina x1, Maoki x1, and Yasuo x3 (LOL)

I'm in no hurry to spend wild cards on any of them. What should we put the Vegas odds on me getting no Yasuo until last?

Side note: I've got all my regions to 25 except 2. I'm ready for that expansion!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    The Ruination says "Kill ALL Units" - what's the point of capitalization/emphasis if gives Unyielding Spirit a pass? Arrrrrgggggh.

My opponent had five Zed's - three Ephemeral - with the tag at the time, so I'm kind of annoyed and grasping at straws. But what's the counter? Recall effects or bust at that point?

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    The Ruination says "Kill ALL Units" - what's the point of capitalization/emphasis if gives Unyielding Spirit a pass? Arrrrrgggggh.

My opponent had five Zed's - three Ephemeral - with the tag at the time, so I'm kind of annoyed and grasping at straws. But what's the counter? Recall effects or bust at that point?

It's to clarify that it wrecks your units as well. In not sure how recall works with Unyielding, but obliterate will take care of it.