As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[#MeToo] Comes To Gaming

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Quick, somebody defend Nick Robinson, let's see if we can't get him kicked off of YouTube.

*sigh* I do this for the greater good.

*starts up Clair de Lune*

Car Boys was good.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    august wrote: »
    Guy was talking about David Icke minutes before this so get ready for "Doc did nothing wrong" (and the persecution of his victim, assuming there is one) to get wrapped in every right wing conspiracy theory for the next several years.

I don't think Twitch would go as far as they did with Dr D over a sexual assault allegation.

I'm pretty sure we are looking at some sort of high level money fraud. Which would explain why Twitch would refund his subs so quickly and voluntarily. The theory I'm thinking is true is that he frauded people during charity streams.

The couple people online who credibly know have said they can’t talk about it because it’s very sensitive, and I don’t think that happens unless there’s a victim to protect, but I could be wrong.

The popular theory is now that Dr was in talks to leave Twitch (potentially starting a new service) and was chatting with other streamers to get them to leave. This would explain the sensitivity statements by other people in the know since if they revealed they knew they too would get burned by Twitch. Would also make sense for Dr to leave now considering Twitch is getting hit by tons of sexual assault stuff and Mixer just went down. Probably the best time to start a competitor streaming service

If this was the reason I don't see why people like Slasher wouldn't leak it because of "importance and sensitivity".

Also he just re-signed a contract with Twitch back in March and that had to have some stuff to keep him from just breaking it to join another streaming service or making his own.

steam_sig.png
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Guy was talking about David Icke minutes before this so get ready for "Doc did nothing wrong" (and the persecution of his victim, assuming there is one) to get wrapped in every right wing conspiracy theory for the next several years.

I don't think Twitch would go as far as they did with Dr D over a sexual assault allegation.

I'm pretty sure we are looking at some sort of high level money fraud. Which would explain why Twitch would refund his subs so quickly and voluntarily. The theory I'm thinking is true is that he frauded people during charity streams.

The couple people online who credibly know have said they can’t talk about it because it’s very sensitive, and I don’t think that happens unless there’s a victim to protect, but I could be wrong.

Usually, that kind of sensitivity is reserved for minors.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It would be weird timing for the Disrespect thing to not be tied to #metoo testimony. Weird timing is possible but the likeliest thing is that it’s not a coincidence it happens now.

PSN: Honkalot
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Can't be just plans to leave Twitch because it wasn't JUST Twitch that abruptly banned him, purged his presence, and refunded any money tainted by his touch.

Edit:
    And I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it's metoo related, that this happened to HIM with no public accusation while smaller names with public accusations are streaming on the same platform literally as I type this... It doesn't fit, and if it's true it's terribly unfair to the victims who have come forth publicly with none of the reaction.

Hevach on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    https://theblast.com/134979/dr-disrespects-wife-breaks-silence-shows-support-amid-twitch-ban

The headline isnt the reason I'm linking
    In the wake of DisRespect being banned from Twitch and dropped from his partnership with the social platform Discord, the star appears to be taking another financial hit from a sponsor. It appears the Doc's vinyl action figure from LAMO has also been pulled from their site. The $29.99 toy was previously displayed on their website alongside fellow streamers like Ninja, Shroud and TimTheTatMan, but it appears to have been removed entirely.

Gfuel has also scrubbed him from their sites.

He became radioactive overnight. This is crazy.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Like I said before, this has to be a police matter with formal charges and court proceedings.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    https://theblast.com/134979/dr-disrespects-wife-breaks-silence-shows-support-amid-twitch-ban

In the wake of DisRespect being banned from Twitch and dropped from his partnership with the social platform Discord, the star appears to be taking another financial hit from a sponsor. It appears the Doc's vinyl action figure from LAMO has also been pulled from their site. The $29.99 toy was previously displayed on their website alongside fellow streamers like Ninja, Shroud and TimTheTatMan, but it appears to have been removed entirely.

It shows how much these companies could have been doing all along, and the speed at which they can act if they feel like it.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »

I think most of these companies are trying to get ahead of what they think is something bad. None of them know what happened. It's all reactive.

Meanwhile, his actual sponsors, the ones he probably communicates with seem to have reinstated his stuff.

https://www.gamerevolution.com/game-culture/651326-dr-disrespect-twitch-ban-sponsors

Fwiw, I don't have a dog in this fight. If this guy did something horrible then he deserves everything coming his way. But this situation is really weird and the lack of information is causing some seriously wild speculations.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm really just spitballing here, but I have to wonder if the generalized silence is because it involves official Twitch business. I don't know what kind of NDA you sign when you're one of those high-level partners-- if they banned him because he was, say, trying to fund a Twitch competitor while in their employ, that would absolutely be the kind of thing that nobody could talk about.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I'm really just spitballing here, but I have to wonder if the generalized silence is because it involves official Twitch business. I don't know what kind of NDA you sign when you're one of those high-level partners-- if they banned him because he was, say, trying to fund a Twitch competitor while in their employ, that would absolutely be the kind of thing that nobody could talk about.

Then why would 3rd parties care? A journalist has no reason to give a shit about that stuff.

When the people breaking the story in the gaming "press" are saying "it's too sensitive to talk about" that suggests something bad or something involving an active investigation to me.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Also, the "Dr Disrespect was going to jump to a Google owned streaming business" theory is coming from...a 4chan post that made it to Reddit and KEEMSTAR's Twitter.

Rod Bresleau is an e-sport journalist that knows the why and ain't telling.

Which is what obviously is going to keep happening until the actual reason comes up, since nature abhors a vacuum.

Shannon Liao is a videogame reporter for CNN, that is saying that she doesn't know either so please stop asking, she'll tell you when she does.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The star is a sign her silence is being coerced by the illuminati

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Also, the "Dr Disrespect was going to jump to a Google owned streaming business" theory is coming from...a 4chan post that made it to Reddit and KEEMSTAR's Twitter.

Which is what obviously is going to keep happening until the actual reason comes up, since nature abhors a vacuum.

Shannon Liao is a videogame reporter for CNN, that is saying that she doesn't know either so please stop asking, she'll tell you when she does.

She just responded to this tweet of hers saying DrD is coming out with a statement soon.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular

Slasher did fan the flames by saying he knows why, but won't say. I'm sure he has good reasons tho, which is why I doubt it's business related.

Also isn't a Google streaming service just Youtube streaming? Which already exists and it's pretty popular.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

She just responded to this tweet of hers saying DrD is coming out with a statement soon.

Yeah his statement is nothing.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

Yeah his statement is nothing.

Great.

I wish I could give you an audio clip of me saying "great" because it is comically sarcastic.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Don't inform the target of an investigation I guess.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I find it hard to believe he stayed silent for an entire day if he had no idea why he got suspended and put out such a nothing statement if it was truly "I have no idea why."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I think I favor the idea of some kind of Twitch metrics exploit being used to defraud Twitch and/or advertisers. I think it would explain both the uncharacteristically swift response from Twitch and the silence from people supposedly in the know, if there is an open vulnerability of some kind. But who knows.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Twitch not telling him != him not knowing why.

HamHamJ wrote: »
    I think I favor the idea of some kind of Twitch metrics exploit being used to defraud Twitch and/or advertisers. I think it would explain both the uncharacteristically swift response from Twitch and the silence from people supposedly in the know, if there is an open vulnerability of some kind. But who knows.

Third parties claim to know but are refraining to say due to the "sensitivity" of the subject. Assuming they aren't lying or misinformed, this does not seem to make sense for victimless financial crimes. No one cares if you ripped off Amazon.

Oh come the fuck on, I just barely clicked Slasher's Twitter to see if any other statement was up and this went up less than 5 minutes ago:

Rod Bresleau is an e-sports journalist.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I know practically nothing about streamers/videogame communities/dramatis personae in the videogame (or SFF) industry other than what I read in this thread. Dafuq happened this past week? From here it feels like a tipping point was abruptly reached for no apparent reason :eh:

Not that I'm complaining, mind you!

edited June 2020
    Calica wrote: »
    I know practically nothing about streamers/videogame communities/dramatis personae in the videogame (or SFF) industry other than what I read in this thread. Dafuq happened this past week? From here it feels like a tipping point was abruptly reached for no apparent reason :eh:

Method being the geek culture version of Harvey Weinstein as the domino that made all the other dominoes fall sure wasn't something that I was expecting, even for 2020 (jokes is on me I know).

EDIT: And I don't know who most of the people on the Twitch sphere are either, but this is some serious "can't you guys stop molesting women for 5 minutes?".

TryCatcher on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Method being the geek culture version of Harvey Weinstein as the domino that made all the other dominoes fall sure wasn't something that I was expecting, even for 2020 (jokes is on me I know).

EDIT: And I don't know who most of the people on the Twitch sphere are either, but this is some serious "can't you guys stop molesting women for 5 minutes?".

It feels kind of like what I saw in WoW guilds back in the vanilla days. You had men who had never really had power suddenly with authority over real people and they did awful things with it. Same thing here.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »

It feels kind of like what I saw in WoW guilds back in the vanilla days. You had men who had never really had power suddenly with authority over real people and they did awful things with it. Same thing here.

That's an story older than dirt, so nobody should be surprised that it happened too on the gaming industry. Also, pretty sure that the first blogs about MMOs were about how Ultima Online and then Everquest had to develop the entire idea of a community manager from scratch since turns out that unpaid voluntary moderators just abused their power.

edited June 2020

Mikhail Klimentov is an editor for The Launcher, WaPo's gaming section.

Doesn't surprise me, that statement was several words of nothing. Is perfectly fine that Dr Disrespect lawyers up, but the idea that he doesn't know why he was banned is ridiculous given his last moments on stream.

TryCatcher on
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I rolled my BC guild into a more established guild (run by an associate from Vanilla WoW) because I was running all of our raids and didn't have anyone else stepping up to help and it was starting to drain - plus we were three times through the "get fucked by the main tank you helped gear up" cycle.

A couple weeks in they mentioned promoting two of my raid regulars who were good players, amongst our best who were in high need classes.

I begged them not to because they were deeply petty and had bullying tendencies that were constantly being kept in check.

They didn't listen.

The priest basically burned the guild to the ground a few months after I gquit.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular

Slasher did fan the flames by saying he knows why, but won't say. I'm sure he has good reasons tho, which is why I doubt it's business related.

Also isn't a Google streaming service just Youtube streaming? Which already exists and it's pretty popular.

The post claims that the new streaming service would be branded under spotify and was picking up Shroud and Ninja as well.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    The star is a sign her silence is being coerced by the illuminati

Damn, there's an emoji for everything now.

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Holy fuck how does this discussion always end up, "But how do we protect the abusers?"

Because the only controversial part of this is how far we should in abandoning our principles to punish the guilty.

What principles do you feel like you're abandoning?

Do you really think it is unacceptable to expect that people who built careers into engines to enable their abuse should lose those careers? Yes, *for as long as people reject them?

If they find they are woefully reduced to finding a new career or, worse yet, working for a wage, like, *bummer*, they're just like a billion others who can't effectively leverage their creativity to make a living.

INeedNoSalt on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Twitch needs to step up and get messages and press releases out before the shitheads they ban do. Look at the Dr. D case- he's got a statement out that he doesn't know why they banned him (bullshit of the highest magnitude), and the shitheads are going to use it as a rallying cry to protest and bully whatever female streamers that catch their ire and who might get views without the Doc shitting up the place.

I mean, cripes, if they can't even control themselves when a woman cosplays or wears something that's not a big, baggy shirt or something that hides her curves, how the fuck do they survive in everyday life? I mean, do they expect every female streamer to cover up because they can't control themselves if they see the slightest hint of boob or curve, so they have to purge it because it means she's not a real streamer? Women shouldn't have to police what they wear on-stream just because a bunch of manchildren can't control themselves from going " ZOMG bewbz!" and freaking out and accusing her of trying to use sex appeal to get views.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

Third parties claim to know but are refraining to say due to the "sensitivity" of the subject. Assuming they aren't lying or misinformed, this does not seem to make sense for victimless financial crimes. No one cares if you ripped off Amazon.

It might if there is an unfixed vulnerability and even talking around the methodology might reveal enough to enable a bunch more people to use it. While it is true that talking about "sensitivity" does sound like some kind of underage victim kind of thing, the response seems so much more decisive than any of these other cases that if that is it then something must have happened on an official legal level, but it sounds like no one has seen any court filings or police statements that you would expect if that was the case.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    Is this a case where basically nothing is happening because of a weekend or something? I cannot fathom why Twitch wouldn't have made some kind of statement about this otherwise. Are we really waiting until Monday?

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Is this a case where basically nothing is happening because of a weekend or something? I cannot fathom why Twitch wouldn't have made some kind of statement about this otherwise. Are we really waiting until Monday?

Leans towards pending legal matter, but who knows.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    I don't think there's any way Twitch and the Amazon zaibatsu megacorp didn't have a PR strategy ready to go for multiple hypothesized scenarios of "Dr. Disrespect" imploding.

It's hard to believe that if they haven't said anything it isn't because of some kind of legal reasons.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Follow up question: Who or what is Method?

edited June 2020

They're a group who play WoW on stream IIRC. MethodJosh, the fellow in question, was the healer of the group and he most infamously pulled a knife on another streamer called Poopernoodle on stream. Not to mention repeatedly calling her trash as well, which apparently happened the day after she says that he raped her.

Aegeri on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

They are(were) a competitive WoW guild with a number of world first/second raid clears. They existed in some form as far back as vanilla, though with these past few raid tiers they really started cashing in when they made the decision to be the first guild to stream their world first progression. They did very well for themselves each time a new raid tier landed - their world first race viewership peaks on Twitch for their main channel was ~150k viewers, they had a number of cushy brand deals signed, etc - the usual "behind the band" high riding prosperity stuff that happens right before things completely implode.

This discussion has been closed.