As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

1979899100101103»

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Ah yes, remember the whole "I Love Bees" thing that was a Halo thing that somehow had nothing to do with Halo?

Back when alternate reality game marketing was still a pretty novel concept.
    It kind of had something to do with Halo, in the sense that the titular website was being taken over by an AI. Sort of.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Ah yes, remember the whole "I Love Bees" thing that was a Halo thing that somehow had nothing to do with Halo?

It kind of had something to do with Halo, in the sense that the titular website was being taken over by an AI. Sort of.

Had a ton to do with Halo, actually.

It's one of the best Halo stories they have told, and most folks have no idea, which is a shame.

The full audiologs are out there and it is worth a download and listen at some point.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Had a ton to do with Halo, actually.

It's one of the best Halo stories they have told, and most folks have no idea, which is a shame.

The full audiologs are out there and it is worth a download and listen at some point.

I've honestly completely forgotten about it after these many years. I'll need to check it out, thanks.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Ilovebees is on point with Halo themes, but noncanon for several reasons, including the use of time travel.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's also hella cool to hear about how it all came together, and it's a window into a time that doesn't really exist anymore, with both the internet and things like pay phones playing a part. It's something that's been oft imitated since but that one really did feel like a mystery.

• Options
    Somebody went into a hurricane to continue the ARG story, which is usually cast in a positive way (something something enthusiasm, something something teamwork), but let's be real. That was horrible gross negligence by the company running the ARG that could have had them sued to death and impressive lack of impulse control from the person who did it.

• Options
    Somebody went into a hurricane to continue the ARG story, which is usually cast in a positive way (something something enthusiasm, something something teamwork), but let's be real. That was horrible gross negligence by the company running the ARG that could have had them sued to death and impressive lack of impulse control from the person who did it.

Didn't hear about that part, that's stupid but honestly that smacks of a lack of common sense

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Ilovebees is on point with Halo themes, but noncanon for several reasons, including the use of time travel.

The only noncanon bit is the ARG's "hook" into the narrative. The narrative of the ARG happens inside the timeline, between Halo 1 and 2, and touches on some stuff from (much) earlier in the Halo timeline regarding origins of the spartan program, etc.

The ARG can all but fade away as far as I am concerned; the radio drama I got out of it was some grade A background listening.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Yeah when they found out that the guy answered the phone in a hurricane, the game masters broke character and told the dude to get the hell out of there lol

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Man this last boss in Plague Tale can bite me. So annoying. Also anyone who doesn’t see colours well would be fucked

• Options
    July Games with Gold! Not quite what I was expecting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIvM9QYt3KI&feature=emb_title

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, here's a thing: Microsoft's permanently closing all its Microsoft Stores. Apparently that was in the works for next year, but COVID moved up the timetable.

The ones I saw were really attractive showcases, especially for Xbox stuff. But they got maybe a tenth of the traffic of nearby Apple Stores (and Microsoft always opened up near Apple). I suspect the store's true purpose was less sales and more PR. I know I appreciated their computer repair program -- they'd provide basic service to ANY Windows device, no matter the age or manufacturer. I took advantage of that a couple times and came away impressed. Ah well.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Well, here's a thing: Microsoft's permanently closing all its Microsoft Stores. Apparently that was in the works for next year, but COVID moved up the timetable.

The ones I saw were really attractive showcases, especially for Xbox stuff. But they got maybe a tenth of the traffic of nearby Apple Stores (and Microsoft always opened up near Apple). I suspect the store's true purpose was less sales and more PR. I know I appreciated their computer repair program -- they'd provide basic service to ANY Windows device, no matter the age or manufacturer. I took advantage of that a couple times and came away impressed. Ah well.

Wow, gone the way of the Sony stores. That's very sad--there were two in Metro-Atlanta, both pretty good. COVID-19 has basically doomed a lot of retail outlets, so that's less surprising, though I guess it's nice that they're expecting "no layoffs" (for now).

That leaves the Microsoft desks at various retailers as an option (though only as good as your local Best Buy or whoever else is hosting them) as physical service locations. It's not surprising, whatever the new normal is I expect we're going to a number fewer Apple stores too. Those flagship locations will still be around as "Experiences", and everyone knows they're going to be ordering locations (and probably even small scale retailers eventually), but it's really sad not to have them as regular retail outlets.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Only retail Microsoft stores?

I first though you meant the Microsoft store app, that handles stuff like Game pass on pc.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm disappointed, we have (had? Is this effective immediately, or...?) a couple around here in Toronto, and the one nearest to me was usually a stop when I visited the mall. They even helped replace my Kinect and get me an Xbox One X adapter for it.

It was the first place I got to try out VR, and they had a neat robot stationed at the front that you could interact with not too long ago. And seeing kids playing Kinect games on the TV out front was cool, too.

I didn't shop there much, though, as it is a bit pricey, but I was considering getting one of those stands for my Design Lab controller.

Sad to see it go.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    jammu wrote: »

I first though you meant the Microsoft store app, that handles stuff like Game pass on pc.

I actually bought some movies off the Microsoft store the other night!

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »

Considering Microsoft still sells movies, someone's buying them (I can't weigh in--I don't buy digital movies, anywhere, and I only rent them if they're available literally no other way). Most people do it either via the website, or via the Store app, either on console or PC. Considering the retail spaces are gone now, and you can buy physical products (from both Microsoft and third party sellers on the store app), I guess they're going to be leaning on that.

On a side note, $89.99 for a Surface Pro sleeve before discount? The fuck? It's a nice sleeve, but christ that's some Apple store overpriced bullshit.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Considering Microsoft still sells movies, someone's buying them (I can't weigh in--I don't buy digital movies, anywhere, and I only rent them if they're available literally no other way). Most people do it either via the website, or via the Store app, either on console or PC. Considering the retail spaces are gone now, and you can buy physical products (from both Microsoft and third party sellers on the store app), I guess they're going to be leaning on that.

On a side note, $89.99 for a Surface Pro sleeve before discount? The fuck? It's a nice sleeve, but christ that's some Apple store overpriced bullshit.

I’m at around 400ish digital movies? Mostly on iTunes though the advent of Movies Anywhere means that for most studios you can buy them on any retailer and they port to your preferred movie vendor. So, for example, the MS store had a pricing...glitch? That let me buy all four of the Toy Story films in a bundle for $12.99 instead of the $12.99 sale price each. And those ported to iTunes so I could watch them on our AppleTVs.

That’s an extreme example but the MS movies store does occasionally have some pretty good deals.

Edit: actually a little over 550 movies now that I look it up. Dang.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    First movie i've bought in...well, when did Dark Knight come out on Blu-ray?

• Options

I’m at around 400ish digital movies? Mostly on iTunes though the advent of Movies Anywhere means that for most studios you can buy them on any retailer and they port to your preferred movie vendor. So, for example, the MS store had a pricing...glitch? That let me buy all four of the Toy Story films in a bundle for $12.99 instead of the $12.99 sale price each. And those ported to iTunes so I could watch them on our AppleTVs.

That’s an extreme example but the MS movies store does occasionally have some pretty good deals.

Yeah, it's weird but I haven't heard anything but praise from people who actually use the Video store. Apparently the cross-device implementation is reliable enough and Microsoft's leasing terms are more lenient then other companies.

Though that's an awe-inspiring number of movies man.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    First movie i've bought in...well, when did Dark Knight come out on Blu-ray?

For a second I thought you said Dark Man and was like...who would know when (and if) that was released on Blu-ray? :D

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Yeah, it's weird but I haven't heard anything but praise from people who actually use the Video store. Apparently the cross-device implementation is reliable enough and Microsoft's leasing terms are more lenient then other companies.

Though that's an awe-inspiring number of movies man.

So this is from 2005 and it's about half of one wall of our living room at the time. Every wall of the living room and one of the bedrooms looked more or less exactly like this. The tall bookshelves aren't actually entirely visible here, they were 74" shelves.
    x1kn70q4d17z.png

It was not sustainable.

This is our movie collection today.
    1uwdrjoc95dy.png

I like the idea of physical movies? But I do not like the physical of physical movies. :)

• Options
    https://kotaku.com/mixer-s-sudden-shutdown-has-streamers-scrambling-to-reb-1844152491
    "A lot of my followers chose Mixer because they didn’t wanna be on Twitch,” Mixer streamer ShadowKal told Kotaku in a DM. “Many of them reached out and commented that they refuse to go to Facebook. Almost all of them have already transitioned to Twitch. The main concern with Facebook for a lot of people is they don’t wanna be forced to use their real names or personal profiles to talk to people on stream. Essentially after talking to my community, it left me in the boat of either starting fresh on Facebook with barely anyone following me or going to Twitch where everyone else is going.”

Twitch has a reputation for toxicity, and while Mixer was far from perfect, many streamers felt like it was a little more manageable. “I left Twitch due to some homophobic toxicity I had to go through after being on the front page a few times,” said Gitsie. “It left me in a difficult place emotionally as I was 100% not ready for the change in my community after the front page streams.”

• Options
    @Synthesis you wanna refresh this? We're in extra innings at this point.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    When threads pass page 100, they become anime threads, so I guess we should've been talking about the playstation for the past few pages.

• Options
    He specifically said he didn't wanna make a new thread until uh, something or other

I assume that's up to the mods

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    When threads pass page 100, they become anime threads, so I guess we should've been talking about the playstation for the past few pages.

fmko4ibyalci.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2020
    @Synthesis you wanna refresh this? We're in extra innings at this point.

Yeah, I thought we might fall into a period of inactivity about 2 and a half pages back but it didn't happen.

Oh well. You guys better promise the next thread makes it to the summer showcase! :lol:

(And this is the link.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    I see no series X anime girl representation. The internet has failed us.

Wait!

7vle6x4v1d97.png

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I refuse to support a comic that somehow managed to personify Stadia into an endearing and empathetic character
    (The Xbox character is... fine, but I'm pretty sure the Neptunia series has covered all this)

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Still no solid date on the July show ?

I really hope it’s earlier in the month, rather than later. I want some solid info to get excited about.

I have 95 more hours of overtime to do before December, and could with some motivation...

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    According to Brad Adams shit has been moved to August? At least the Lockheart reveal.