As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black 3.0 as interior paint

MysstMysst King Monkeyof Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
Hey yall I've got serious lightbleed around my blackout blinds and was wondering if painting the inside of the window housing with that Black 3.0 stuff would prevent reflection. Anyone have experience with this paint?

ikbUJdU.jpg

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You'll probably have to paint the wall around it too.

Sleep masks are much cheaper.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I don't think painting windows is a great idea. It's a real pain in the ass and paint isn't really thick enough to block light unless you do a bunch of coats.

Cheap route is cardboard. Sheets, felt, on sale fabric, wrapping paper or a cheap blanket. Cut very carefully to the size of the window. Use some spray adhesive to the cardboard and stick whatever fabric you wanted to make it look less like crap. If you cut it just right it will be self-securing and you wont have to use any tape or clips or anything.

dispatch.o on
  • TheSmackerTheSmacker Registered User regular
    Have you considered drapes?

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I don't think painting windows is a great idea. It's a real pain in the ass and paint isn't really thick enough to block light unless you do a bunch of coats.

Cheap route is cardboard. Sheets, felt, on sale fabric, wrapping paper or a cheap blanket. Cut very carefully to the size of the window. Use some spray adhesive to the cardboard and stick whatever fabric you wanted to make it look less like crap. If you cut it just right it will be self-securing and you wont have to use any tape or clips or anything.
    I used to use duct tape and aluminum foil. That works like a charm.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    TheSmacker wrote: »
    Have you considered drapes?

Yeah, drapes or window bolsters around the edges where the light is leaking might be the most straight forward solution. Are the blackout curtains not quite big enough?

I'm not sure why people are leaping to cover or paint the windows. That seems... extreme.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    You'll probably have to paint the wall around it too.

Sleep masks are much cheaper.

the sidewall is what I mean, not the panes itself

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Unless you have fantastic cooling in your room I would strongly advise against painting anything black. I think the best bet would be either entirely reflective or the purest white you can get to reflect the light out. Black just means you've installed a heater.

My suggestion would be either foil or fabric that's white on the outer facing portion and black on the inward facing portion sealing the window with as close as you can get to no gaps. Then blackout curtains that are black on both sides on top of that. I'd also recommend finding a way to make it relatively easily removable but that's just because I'm an absolute sucker for being able to sleep with the window open when the the temp is in the high 50s-60s range.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    Hey yall I've got serious lightbleed around my blackout blinds and was wondering if painting the inside of the window housing with that Black 3.0 stuff would prevent reflection. Anyone have experience with this paint?

Don't paint your frames black, the heat draw can damage/warp the window seating.

Get a nice, sturdy curtain for the window instead. Not the shitty gossamer stuff you see on prefab window treatments, but something substantial. I'd recommend getting a tightly fitting drapery rod to fit over the window frame and about 4 inches on both sides, then get something substantial and thick like a blackout curtain. Will cost a bit more than paint (maybe 30 bucks for 2 curtains plus shipping, and another 20 for the rod), but it will do the job better and not damage your house.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yep, blackout cell shades+curtains is how we do it.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Unless you have fantastic cooling in your room I would strongly advise against painting anything black. I think the best bet would be either entirely reflective or the purest white you can get to reflect the light out. Black just means you've installed a heater.

I want to add that this is especially true of black 3.0, which effectively heats things much, much faster than regular black. Not as fast as true Vantablack would, but the heating effect would be similar.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind