As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, [Movie]

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The new Jumanjis are alright. The second one in particular if one thinks watching Awkwafina impersonate Danny Devito would be a good time.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Blockers was also pretty funny, I thought

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Game Night was pretty good, yeah. Rachel McAdams no shit deserved an Oscar for that, she was amazing.

But they don't give Oscars for comedy performances for some reason.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    This may be a controversial opinion but i think Rachel McAdams is a very good actor and also quite pretty

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Bollocks! Bollocks, I say!

(Yeah, she's pretty great and also pretty hot.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Alpha Papa was brilliant and contains my favourite titles sequence of all time. But also not a studio comedy.

• Options
    StempyStempy Registered User regular
    What about Booksmart? I legit thought that was one of last years best films.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    We watched Fan4stic because it was on the front page of Disney+ and I was a curious bub.

That was not the dogshit fire I was told to expect. Certainly paid to see worse. But it also wasn't any good at all and also the design on Doctor Doom was indeed dogshit and he was on fire for a lot of the movie and it was very silly. His weird head exploding scene was p.cool.

I liked immediately noticing all the reshoot scenes cause of the bad wig, and wondering what about that scene made em think this was a necessary thing to include.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    MCU movies almost all try to be quite funny

Quippy, anyway

*vomits everywhere*

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I guess I ended up watching the Will Ferrel Eurovision movie instead.

It was

Uh

Well, it was a two hour Will Ferrel movie, so I guess I bought that on myself. The Eurovisiony bits are OK, and the songs sound right, but it feels like such a fuckin lazy movie. The script, the plot, the way it’s shot, everything is so “well, that’ll do”.

Yeah, my wife suggested we watch that last night and... I was "meh" about the whole experience. It's not even a good movie if you want Will Ferrell being Will Ferrell. It's like a romantic musical comedy with no chemistry. I mean, Dan Stevens is the best part of it.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    I guess I ended up watching the Will Ferrel Eurovision movie instead.

It was

Uh

Well, it was a two hour Will Ferrel movie, so I guess I bought that on myself. The Eurovisiony bits are OK, and the songs sound right, but it feels like such a fuckin lazy movie. The script, the plot, the way it’s shot, everything is so “well, that’ll do”.

Yeah, my wife suggested we watch that last night and... I was "meh" about the whole experience. It's not even a good movie if you want Will Ferrell being Will Ferrell. It's like a romantic musical comedy with no chemistry. I mean, Dan Stevens is the best part of it.

Dan Stevens is the best part of a lot of things, so I'm not really sure where you're going with that.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    When did the comedy film die?

The last time I remember people making a big deal about how funny a film was, was The Hangover. And it is not funny at all.

The Death of Stalin is absolutely hilarious. As long as you don't mind the humour being mixed with occasional horror.

"Nicky, this is very serious. I'm gonna have to report this. Threatening to harm or obstruct the central committee oh my god look at your fuckin' face!"

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I loved that bit so much.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    This weekend I watched a couple of movies I'd been meaning to get around to this past year:

One Cut of the Dead was a delight. Saw the trailer for this one beforehand, and even though I still felt intrigued and confused at the end of that, by the time I was watching the movie I felt the trailer maybe gave away a tiny bit too much. Highly recommend this one if you're looking for a kind of light-hearted horror-comedy, but definitely find out as little about the movie as possible before watching. It was real fun.

Crawl is of that special breed of movie that focuses itself, laser-like, on very few moving pieces, and spends its full runtime exercising every way imaginable to leverage those moving pieces against each other to see what comes out. Florida, hurricane, father and daughter stuck in a crawlspace, alligators. That's it! That's all the movie is. But it finds so many grounded-feeling ways to explore the tension between those elements. The alligators behave a bit more like movie monsters than they do animals, but other than that, every extraordinary event that the characters go through feels like a natural result of their circumstance. I liked this one a lot more than I thought I would.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    I watched Starcrash, which is deliriously bad in the way that only an Italian rip-off of Star Wars starring David Hasslehoff could be. I’m not one for bad movies generally, but this was curiously compelling in its absolute refusal to hang together as a coherent story.

It felt very much like the SF movie they make in Community, the one kicked off by Keith David declaring “Let’s crap out this piece of crap”.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The last genuinely hilarious movie I recall seeing was The Nice Guys.
    I watched Starcrash, which is deliriously bad in the way that only an Italian rip-off of Star Wars starring David Hasslehoff could be. I’m not one for bad movies generally, but this was curiously compelling in its absolute refusal to hang together as a coherent story.

It felt very much like the SF movie they make in Community, the one kicked off by Keith David declaring “Let’s crap out this piece of crap”.

I read this as Starcraft and was both confused and horrified.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Quippy, anyway

*vomits everywhere*

I picked up the concept of "Marvel undercut" somewhere. The disease of constantly removing tension from your movie by undercutting every serious thing with a gag.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

Quippy, anyway

*vomits everywhere*

I picked up the concept of "Marvel undercut" somewhere. The disease of constantly removing tension from your movie by undercutting every serious thing with a gag.

I think the Marvel movies are exactly as serious as I need them to be

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The quippy stuff is half of what helps it makes it easy to buy into the heroes as people, seeing as these folks deal with heavy shit constantly and it's a natural human response to cope with tough situations through humor.

I much prefer it to hyper-dramatic crap of silent glowers and close-ups with rising music to make it really really clear it's a big dramatic moment. That stuff always seems horribly artificial to me since it means people just standing around to ham it up for the best shots like they know it's a movie scene.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    How much of a nerd does it make me that Game Night didn’t Have sufficiently dorky board games

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Starcrash also has a great MST3K episode, if anyone's interested. :)

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I did a food movie marathon

KPiASh8.png?1

Babette's Feast: This is the least vegetarian movie of all time but I have to admit it is pretty lovely anyway

aZZDeqx.png?1

Julie and Julia: Meryl Streep as Julia Child is of course delightful, but the movie keeps cutting away from her to a modern day New York couple, The Boring McBoringtons. Honestly, the DVD ought to include a "just the Julia Child parts" cut

iEDzMFQ.jpg

Tampopo: I am in love with the core concept of this movie: a "ramen western" (as opposed to a spaghetti western) where the cowboy-hat-wearing hero wanders into town on his trusty steed (in this case, a milk delivery truck) fixes a local problem (in this case, a lousy ramen shop that needs to be turned around with expert ramen guidance) and then rides off into the sunset. Anyway the movie is pretty fun. Afterwards, I naturally got some ramen takeout

wandering on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The quippy stuff is half of what helps it makes it easy to buy into the heroes as people, seeing as these folks deal with heavy shit constantly and it's a natural human response to cope with tough situations through humor.

I much prefer it to hyper-dramatic crap of silent glowers and close-ups with rising music to make it really really clear it's a big dramatic moment. That stuff always seems horribly artificial to me since it means people just standing around to ham it up for the best shots like they know it's a movie scene.

yeah, not gonna lie, even now that I've become disillusioned with him, I still prefer Whedon's style to Snyder's.

• Options
    The modern day bits of Julie and Julia were borderline unbearable.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The modern day bits of Julie and Julia were borderline unbearable.
    I was sure that the modern day stuff was going to pay off and be redeemed with a scene where Julia Child visits with Julie (either in the flesh or some sort of fantasy sequence) (and thus, by proxy, visits with the audience of the film). Then that didn't happen tho

On a similar note I also had somewhat mixed feelings about the sections of Tampopo that cut away from the main storyline, but a yakuza member having weird food sex with his girlfriend where they pass an egg yolk back and forth between their mouths is, well... at least it’s interesting

wandering on
  • Options
    That they never met up and all you get is Julie saying oh my god she doesn’t like what I’m doing and then nothing else was infuriatingly anti-climactic.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    This weekend I watched a couple of movies I'd been meaning to get around to this past year:

One Cut of the Dead was a delight. Saw the trailer for this one beforehand, and even though I still felt intrigued and confused at the end of that, by the time I was watching the movie I felt the trailer maybe gave away a tiny bit too much. Highly recommend this one if you're looking for a kind of light-hearted horror-comedy, but definitely find out as little about the movie as possible before watching. It was real fun.

Crawl is of that special breed of movie that focuses itself, laser-like, on very few moving pieces, and spends its full runtime exercising every way imaginable to leverage those moving pieces against each other to see what comes out. Florida, hurricane, father and daughter stuck in a crawlspace, alligators. That's it! That's all the movie is. But it finds so many grounded-feeling ways to explore the tension between those elements. The alligators behave a bit more like movie monsters than they do animals, but other than that, every extraordinary event that the characters go through feels like a natural result of their circumstance. I liked this one a lot more than I thought I would.

I think I've said this before, but One Cut of the Dead basically becomes better and better by the minute. You'd want that out of any movie of course, but here it's a very specific thing. It just grows more delightful and fun continuously, due to its structure/conceit.

And yeah, definitely go in blind. I'm happy that I hadn't watched a trailer/read anything specific.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    How is BttF III rated PG and full of people saying "shit" yet Captain America: Civil War is PG-13 and has only one "shit" and it's a big deal? I know the answer is that ratings are bullshit but I can't figure this out even by bullshit ratings logic.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    How is BttF III rated PG and full of people saying "shit" yet Captain America: Civil War is PG-13 and has only one "shit" and it's a big deal? I know the answer is that ratings are bullshit but I can't figure this out even by bullshit ratings logic.

PG-13 did not exist until 1984 and they were still ironing out the quirks

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Doesn’t Civil War have someone being drowned in a deliberate, unpleasant way?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Goumindong wrote: »

PG-13 did not exist until 1984 and they were still ironing out the quirks

III came out in 1990. I'd say six years should've been enough to iron things out, and at least have some consistency. It was very unevenly used in the early 90s.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    That they never met up and all you get is Julie saying oh my god she doesn’t like what I’m doing and then nothing else was infuriatingly anti-climactic.

Then, in real life, the real Julie cheated on her husband, who endured her obsession, with the publisher of her Julie and Julia book and divorced him.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    In terms of outright comedies there's Paddington 2 which is probably the closest to comedy you can get these days. Game Over, Man! is also pretty high. Yeah it's trying to mimic Die Hard but that feels like 20% compared to just going raunchy comedy.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Then, in real life, the real Julie cheated on her husband, who endured her obsession, with the publisher of her Julie and Julia book and divorced him.

That would have been interesting!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

That reminds me of the Eat Pray Love actual author being an insufferable human. Which syncs up with the movie.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I mean, one of them is two hours of people trying to beat and shoot each other to death. There ARE things that determine the rating other than how many times someone says "shit."

For example, do you glimpse a female nipple anywhere? That's a hard R.

(Ratings are stupid, yeah, but I'm fine with Civil War getting a stricter rating than BttF3.)

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Underwater surprised me and is definitely worth a watch, especially if you like anything which might give off vibes of Alien, Soma, or Event Horizon. If nothing else, it's notable for
    literally involving Cthulhu as the big bad, although it was kind of a shame that they didn't explicitly do more than "giant monster" with it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Yeah, that's the problem with basing it entirely on real life. It turns out the whole thing was just a stunt and had no real climax or purpose. At least in the movie. I've never read the book so maybe there's something more useful or meaningful in there, but the movie has none of that. It's just "she cooks some shit, Julia Child doesn't like her".

shryke on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    On the topic of comedy films: Diani & Divine Meet the Apocalypse is brilliant, and free on Amazon.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The original Transformers movie had Ultra Magnus say "Open damn it" to get a PG rating on purpose. Same with Flight of the Navigator, there's a single "shit", to avoid the curse of a G rating.

Alternately, Silver Streak, has multiple instances of a certain racial slur directed towards Richard Pryor's character by the white bad guy, and blackface, and it only got a PG.

nibXTE7.png
This discussion has been closed.