As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    Platy wrote: »
    The protein involved in the growth of digits is called Sonic hedgehog and a modification in the SHH gene results in altered limbs

Not kidding

MgdsOtW.jpg
    text:
    Robotnikinin
    A potential inhibitor of the Hedgehog signaling pathway has been found and dubbed "Robotnikinin", in honour of Sonic the Hedgehog's nemesis, Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.[82]

Controversy surrounding name
    The gene has been linked to a condition known as holoprosencephaly, which can result in severe brain, skull and facial defects, causing clinicians and scientists to criticize the name on the grounds of it sounding too frivolous. It has been noted that mention of a mutation in a sonic hedgehog gene might not be well received in a discussion of a serious disorder with a patient or their family.[13][83][84]

...huh.

Fruit fly geneticists loooove the smell of their own farts.

Rude! Did one of us kill your dog or something?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Anyway, the actual answer for why so many genes discovered in flies have stupid names is that fly geneticists are huge idiots and we all have the same sense of humor as small children.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    The protein involved in the growth of digits is called Sonic hedgehog and a modification in the SHH gene results in altered limbs

Not kidding

MgdsOtW.jpg
    text:
    Robotnikinin
    A potential inhibitor of the Hedgehog signaling pathway has been found and dubbed "Robotnikinin", in honour of Sonic the Hedgehog's nemesis, Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.[82]

Controversy surrounding name
    The gene has been linked to a condition known as holoprosencephaly, which can result in severe brain, skull and facial defects, causing clinicians and scientists to criticize the name on the grounds of it sounding too frivolous. It has been noted that mention of a mutation in a sonic hedgehog gene might not be well received in a discussion of a serious disorder with a patient or their family.[13][83][84]

...huh.

Fruit fly geneticists loooove the smell of their own farts.

Rude! Did one of us kill your dog or something?

Search your feelings. You know it to be true :)

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I don't know, did you mistake my dog for a fruit fly and engineer eyes on his butt? You monster?

I mean, my dog had eyes on his butt to begin with, I'm honestly just looking for someone to blame.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I don't know, did you mistake my dog for a fruit fly and engineer eyes on his butt? You monster?

It was one time. One time!

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Other disciplines also get stuck with silly names, physics has "big bang" and "black hole"

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Huh I guess that is dirty

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Other disciplines also get stuck with silly names, physics has "big bang" and "black hole"

Hell you don't even have to be involved in the hard sciences, plenty of trades deal with sick filth like "cocks", "flanges", "rods", and other things too disgusting to mention in polite conversation.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I had a student with three fingers and a thumb on each hand. All correctly proportioned like a cartoon character. It was kinda neat. Didn’t stop her at all.

That would be so hard to really notice at first glance and I would not stop being fascinated by it after I discovered it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I had a student with three fingers and a thumb on each hand. All correctly proportioned like a cartoon character. It was kinda neat. Didn’t stop her at all.

That would be so hard to really notice at first glance and I would not stop being fascinated by it after I discovered it.

For a while I was slightly startled every time I noticed. Like my brain refused to process it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

yeah but those are incredibly straightforward because astrophysicists are not clever, but they are precise

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    ap240pxminif.png

tag urself im strange bottom

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    There's Tau but no Chaos, Orks, or 'Nids?

No sale.

• Options

No sale.

tau are now called t'au

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

No sale.

tau are now called t'au

t'lady

• Options
    elementary particles are basically magic, change my mind

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

yeah but those are incredibly straightforward because astrophysicists are not clever, but they are precise

Within an order of magnitude anyway

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

What are they made of

• Options
    Whovilles, I think.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Quarks are made of blurks and sub-blurks

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Quarks are made of blurks and sub-blurks

All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

What are they made of

Current theory is energy

Put enough energy together in a small enough spot and boom, you got yourself a quark. With enough rejiggering you've got yourself a proton, neutron, or electron. With enough rejiggering of that and you've got yourself Hydrogen.

Smash that together with some heat and pressure and boom, you've got helium, then carbon and oxygen, then get really explodey and you can make everything else.

• Options
    Quantum field theory describes particles as excitations of their respective fields, so the electron would be an excitation of the electron field

• Options
    Quantum field theory describes particles as excitations of their respective fields, so the electron would be an excitation of the electron field

I kind of hate this. Back in my day, stuff was made out of very tiny stuff, and that's the way we liked it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    What are fields made of

Also “excitations” sounds like something a good Christian would steer clear of

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    What are fields made of

Experienced medium-strong nocturnal excitations last night. I suspect the stubble-goose I indulged in to celebrate Mikelmas. Will dedicate the next fortnight to fasting and bloodletting to settle my sanguine humours.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Fields are ooooold news

Also physical reality seems to ultimately arise out of the vacuum but that's like "what happened at the Big Bang" stuff

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    What are fields made of

Experienced medium-strong nocturnal excitations last night. I suspect the stubble-goose I indulged in to celebrate Mikelmas. Will dedicate the next fortnight to fasting and bloodletting to settle my sanguine humours.

You know how to party.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Fields are ooooold news

Also physical reality seems to ultimately arise out of the vacuum but that's like "what happened at the Big Bang" stuff

A wizard did it?

• Options
    Fields are ooooold news

A wizard did it?

Oh, that must be why there's so many fucking shotguns everywhere...

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    timelapse video of the sun, a picture every hour for 10 years
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3QQQu7QLoM

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I think that video may be the ultimate time lapse.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    That would be a cool screensaver

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    so i was wondering what the rotational period is for the sun (25 days at the equator apparently fyi) and it led me to google how long a solar revolution around the galactic core or whatever takes and i feel very small and finite now.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    man I always forget how big the sun is

dang, it is so big and it's not even the biggest kind of sun.

• Options

it's mindblowing that there's enough hydrogen present that it has sustained fusion for billions of years, and will continue for a few more near around 10 billion, and the the next sequence in our star will last about 10 times as long as that

And that there is trillions of stars just like it doing the same thing right now

and that the universe will probably exist for countless billions of years too

• Options

The sun isn’t even close

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/R136a1

It is both the brightest and most massive at more than 300 M

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Stars are really interesting because they are fairly simple. They only really have a few parameters, their mass, how much nonhydrogen is in their cores, and stuff like their spinspeed.

And that makes into an incredible array of emergent properties, some counter intuitive.
    Heavier stars burn bright and and die young, not because they run out fuel, but because the fuel doesn't reach the core.
    Small stars have far more convection and burn more of their hydrogen.
    And the difference in outcome is dramatic, a factor of 10000 or more. If we make it out of the solar system there is a good chance that eventually we migrate to tinier and tinier stars, closer and closer to a smaller candles that burns nearly forever.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    The stars that have gone red dwarf will last so god damned long that they're a good place to set up shop. And they warm up new planets that once were dead. Earth is around a relatively young star in a relatively young universe, which gives me hope that the rest of our galaxy supports some kind of life.

The craziest thing is we're basically stardust that's trying to make sense of the universe. What's crazier is we've pushed electricity through rocks and glass to make it think too.

This discussion has been closed.