As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] now returns you to your regular programming.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Thanks for Tametsi, @TeeMan! I can't wait to try it out!

5h2fo37w9vez.png

camo_sig2.png
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Crossposting from H/a
    I am wrapping up a new pc build for a friend who has 8 and 10 year old boys. They love minecraft, spore, and subnautica, and mom is working on getting the latter two of those right now (they've played them on xbox previously). I was going to try and load up some of the free stuff on steam (or elsewhere!) but I really have no idea what's child appropriate for their age range, and I was hoping some of you gamer parents could weigh in on suggestions? If not free, stuff that's super cheap?

@Bullhead I'm late to the party, but..

I mean the go to free game for kids that age is Fortnite.

Not free, but cheap(<$5).

Lego games.
    Toybox Turbos
    Sonic and Allstar Racing
    Sonic Generations (cause it's $1 right now)
    Castle Crashers

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Good gracious, more class headed my way!

Thanks to @zavian for Art of Gravity!
    Thanks to @an_alt for a Steam card for the amount for Forgotten Anne (which may take me a bit to get. Can't buy with wallet funds right now. :( )!
    Thanks to @Polaritie for both Slime Rancher and Valdis Story: Abyssal City!
    Thanks to @Dixon who persevered despite national giftwalls and sent me a code for Hypnospace Outlaw!

Very much appreciated, all of you. Thanks for sunnying up my Summer Dale even more! <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    edited June 2020
    Iolo wrote: »
    Good gracious, more class headed my way!

Thanks to zavian for Art of Gravity!
    Thanks to an_alt for a Steam card for the amount for Forgotten Anne (which may take me a bit to get. Can't buy with wallet funds right now. :( )!
    Thanks to Polaritie for both Slime Rancher and Valdis Story: Abyssal City!
    Thanks to Dixon who persevered despite national giftwalls and sent me a code for Hypnospace Outlaw!

Very much appreciated, all of you. Thanks for sunnying up my Summer Dale even more! <3
    5zyl9kzbyvd9.jpg

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    @Isorn gifted me Zenge! Looks real relaxing. Not sure about the message you wrote though, can't find an anime called "'A Place Further Than The Universe'"

NLfPWmn.jpg

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Well... shit. @Isorn got me. I'll watch it when the telly is mounted next.
    272NZZ1.jpg

• DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    This'll prolly get lost in the shuffle and is off-topic, but for parents of young kids consider the Google Play Pass. Tons of appropriate content if you've got a cheap android tablet laying around, educational stuff for reading and math in game form, etc. I assume same goes for the Apple alternate?

camo_sig2.png
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    q1fyvplza6el.png

@Malakaius and @destroyah87 decided to hit me at the same time. Sequel to Ori and Code Vein respectively. Thanks a lot you two. <3<3

Isorn on
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    @Karoz @Bedlam @Iolo @Mugsley @RoyceSraphim @bloodatonement

Thanks all - the boys are now proud owners of SteamWorld Dig, Slime Rancher, Burnout Paradise, Freedom Planet, and Terraria. And I've installed Island Saver, Skye, and Chex Quest HD.

And I refuse to support fortnite, the abomination that it is :p

96058.png?1619393207
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Freedom Planet is really good.

Story and characters are terrible though. Too cutesy for my tastes, especially the voice acting.

Mileage for kids rather than jaded adults who are dead inside like me might vary.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    kxSAuBW.png
    Ok @florin VS @tacticalheadache concluded
    After a flurry of back and forth ties. Florin had had enough. Consumed by a berserker rage he brandished the largest pair of scissors he could find.
    C5yVAoN.jpg
    After terrorizing the entire city looking for Tactical Headache he came across..
    HeW9WYQ.jpg
    Feeling terrible Florin moped back home, forgetting about the contest entirely. This much anger was not good for his blood pressure.
    Tactical Headache emerged once the coast was clear.
    cPe1Hd5.jpg
    Tactical's rock beats Florin's scissors.
    The very final 2020 RPS battle will be between
    Tacticalheadache and @Orivon

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    So I was working on a bunch of stuff here, and came out of it to find a green envelope... which I promptly forgot about because I was close to passing out from exhaustion yesterday after a long day at the keyboard.

But what's inside it?

lov8203bp7j8.png

Thanks to @Iolo for Moonlighter! I haven't really gotten a chance to do a lot of digging for the Sale yet, and this looks interesting! Many thanks!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    and your gift is... another job!

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Thank you @Iolo for the gift of Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark. I have a love hate relationship with tactical games like this. I love to play them and then get overwhelmed after a while. But this one really looks neat and I think I can play it on my surface (which helps dink hours away). Thank you for your thoughts, I really appreciate them.

iolo_gift.jpg

I'm going to keep on thanking this thread (and PA) for all the kindness I see on a daily basis. It really keeps me optimistic for the future of this planet.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Threadmind, I need recommendations for RPGs that can be played online with a friend and ideally with non-grimdark aesthetic.

Also ideally not as mechanically complex as something like Divinity:OS. Acton RPG that is not a loot shooter may be the way to go.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Threadmind, I need recommendations for RPGs that can be played online with a friend and ideally with non-grimdark aesthetic.

Also ideally not as mechanically complex as something like Divinity:OS. Acton RPG that is not a loot shooter may be the way to go.

I've been looking for something similar. I've been looking at Outward and that seems to have the right vibes for what you're looking at, but might be a little janky. My partner's tolerance for jank is low, so I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I might pick it up on sale to see if it's worth a shot.

If you find a winner, let us know, since I'm in a similar spot.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Monster Hunter World
    Elder Scrolls Online

Victor Vran
    Grim Dawn

Though the latter two are in the Diablo-like hack and loot mentallity, not sure if that's far enough away from the looter shooter.

Edit: Erk and the latter two are both pretty grimdark.

Karoz on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    hpngym4.jpg

You know, I thought we had an understanding here. I don't gift y'all and y'all don't gift me. Iolo thought he knew better, and now my revenge will be swift and merciless.

(Seriously though, thanks!)

Undead Scottsman on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    @jclast gothing up the place.

1tc89dd1focz.jpg

Thank you! <3

• jclastjclast Registered User regular

Torchlight II

camo_sig2.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Conan Exiles. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    @Isorn saw my struggles with FO76 and sent. Mechanic is my way. I shall destroy and/or run and hide from many Necrons in recompense. Thanks mate!

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Can't get to sleep. Grab phone (bad habit, I know). See email.

8tb27t7rbj5d.png

Thank you so much @TeeMan ! :heartbeat:

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    epj09sjuuepc.png

@Maguano did a thing and apparently it's all Iolo's fault?

I mean, I can see that.

Thanks for ME:A! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    @TeeMan hit me up with Assemble with Care
    h0yu4g01130i.jpg

I've actually had something in my cart waiting to send out to you. Unfortunately paypal has me on lockdown for 48 more hours.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Thanks kindly to @Undead Scottsman and @Maguano for The Pedestrian and Iron Danger!
    OgGF5up.png
    fc5k8mF.png

Much appreciated - A very Happy Steam Sale to you both!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Edit: ahh! I'm being spooked by bbs.

Also, you're welcome Jazz!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2020
    Completed River City Girls

Fun beat em up action, didn't play the original so maybe some of my minor complaints could be chalked up to holdovers.

The bosses were pretty challenging--until I learned you could stock up on food items during the fights. Best to spend it on something cause ever time you are defeated you BARF up a decent percentage of your funds.

The art by rem is really wonderful and they have some great songs.

Thanks again to @Heatwave for the gift

Karoz on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    is there something on a games store page to indicate if I’ll have issues sending games across boarders?

It seems steam has an embargo on Canadians.

Dixon wrote: »
    is there something on a games store page to indicate if I’ll have issues sending games across boarders?

It seems steam has an embargo on Canadians.

Not as fun but you can do the currency conversion and send a gift card.

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

The Waylanders is early access, and looks to me like exactly the right thing. It's less mechanical and slightly more actiony looking than D:OS, but still pauseable. I don't know if it has multiplayer, now that I think about it...

I am really liking Remnant: from the ashes, too. It's ... not a looter shooter? It is shooting, and has loot, but the loot is more focused, not just grinding drops, etc.

Also, thanks a ton @Aistan for Football Manager. This will be the thing I do while I'm on work calls for the foreseeable future.

df1e5zn7fuqs.png

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    fc73qda39lnp.jpg

@Big Classy is absolutely insane!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! THE HYPE IS REAL!

• tacticalheadachetacticalheadache Registered User regular
    Huge thanks to @akajaybay for the $50 steam gift card!

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    b9bwhvC.png
    Since ancient times, people have played some form of rock, paper scissors.
    k9vq13t1c068.png
    sh3hvrgtkdhz.png
    htfQoAN.png

But no more. What would be the point? We've settled once and for all who the RPS champion is.
    Or until I get bored in like three years.

The final battle between @Orivon and @tacticalheadache
    The last two of countless fighters (24). Even after having been defeated by Iolo in an earlier round Tactical Headache faced death itself, sorry Geth itself, to compete in the finals.
    Orivon defeated four competitors in a row with rock after rock after rock, and one more rock.

Below this spoiler, the results of this final confrontation are revealed. And, like, I'm coasting on fumes here. So you get an image, I just never found the right use for.
    So keep your expectations low. No....lower.
    XAC75Sl.jpg
    Tactical Headache's Paper Beats Orivon's Rock.

• an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    1bHSc9M.png

Thank you @TeeMan for Black Closet. I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    eobo32svrl43.jpg

Thank you very much @Iolo !

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I picked up Shantae and the Seven Sirens today (well, yesterday and it finished installing today), and I just want to take a second to gush; this game is so far doing exactly what I wanted and didn't think to expect from a Shantae game. See, I first got into the series with Risky's Revenge on the DS shop. And I did quite like the game at the time, enough to keep an eye on the series going forward. But the next game was Pirate's Curse, and that just blew everything else in the series out of the water. See, normally, Shantae's new abilities come in the form of animal transformations, and she activates her magic by dancing. You have to basically halt in place and do the dance until it cycles to the one for the animal you want to use, and then you transform and can use their abilities; stuff like climbing on walls as a monkey or doing a ground pound as an elephant. But in Pirate's Curse, Shantae can't use her magic, so she instead collects pirate relics that once belonged to Risky Boots, and those give her new abilities that she can just... use. And those abilities are awesome: a hat acting as a parachute for long jumps, a sword to do a ground pound with a pogo-stick bounce, a cannon for a triple jump, and (my favorite) boots that let you do a speed dash like you were playing Super Metroid. That game felt so much better to play, and I loved the pirate gear way more than I ever liked the transformation dances. So, when Half-Genie Hero came out, I liked it well enough, but going back to the transformations felt like a step back. They did improve how fast you can get to each form, but it did still mean stopping to use basic traversal powers. I was in a weird place with the series; Pirate's Curse was easily my favorite game in the series, but there was no narrative reason for the games to go back to the style I liked.

Seven Sirens made a change that I have really been enjoying. The story is introducing new animals that Shantae hasn't seen before, in the form of coins that teach her new transformation magic. And these new animals just act like new moves that you can just use, very similarly to the pirate relics. For example, the first form is called a Dash Newt, and it's activated by hitting R2 anywhere. You hit the button, and Shantae immediately changes form and dashes, without pausing the action. And while there is a form that requires charge time, you can still run and jump while charging (plus the action from that animal moves you extremely fast, so it's still fun). I wasn't expecting them to change the way the transformations work in this way, and it's got me honestly excited to find new upgrades as I go through the story. It's been a lot of fun. And they didn't get rid of the dances, either. Now they're used for extra-powerful magic that feels balanced around needing to stop in place to use them. And they're useful enough that I do want to use them; just not while platforming. Oh, and the action of dancing sucks in nearby items; that's another thing from Pirate's Curse that I wasn't expecting to see return (that game instead had a magic lamp that acted like a vacuum for items).

Really glad I picked this one up. It's been a blast.

Enlong on
  • tacticalheadachetacticalheadache Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    yuD2r3A.png

Damn what a crazy comeback. From first round loss to RPS Champion! :P

Huge thanks to @akajaybay again for the fun RPS tournament! I received a very generous $100 steam gift card for winning. (had to edit the converted currency for privacy)

edit: this quick shop is too glorious to not be included!

unN3a6h.png

tacticalheadache on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    an_alt wrote: »
    1bHSc9M.png

Thank you @TeeMan for Black Closet. I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

That lady(?) is channeling Gendou Ikari very hard.

Commander Zoom on
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I was sitting here frustratingly being defeated by Blender tutorials and then BAM.
    @Big Classy is OUT of control.
    Holy cow, what a generous gifting. <3<3<3

nc5ecu79x0b0.jpg

Sadly, frantically clicking on the "play now" button doesn't allow me to do so. Augh.

This discussion has been closed.