As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    About what specific characters are you talking about? Ulrich / Alexander / Stranger / Peter / Egon are visually very distinct from each other, just like Hannah / Regina / Charlotte / Katharina / Claudia are.

Asthariel on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I'm pretty face blind, with subtitles where I am concentrating on the words and not the voice/whos saying it makes it a nightmare. It's kept me from bothering with Dark because I hear the dub is really bad. By comparison anime(boo hiss I know) is nice because its red/blue/green hair character with distinct designs speaking at least.

Game of thrones was hard for a few seasons to tell people apart sometimes. Some plots didnt make sense until two characters who looked similar were in the same scene together. That show is a white male wearing brown/black in a castle/field mess.

steam_sig.png
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I had to look up the family trees on Wikipedia partway through and accidentally spoiled myself on some of it. All these German motherfuckers are too handsome.

Coinage on
    edited June 2020
    Dark Season 3 Episode 1:
    What are both universes constants:

Woller never gets any respect

and Ulrich is always a piece of shit.

Watching Jonas act like a crazy stalker towards alt-Martha was uncomfortable.

alt-Peter is a man of faith - fuck, does that mean he is Tronte's father?

Also, Bartosz is still here (even if it is alt-Bartosz), and he still does not serve any purpose.

Considering that Adam = Bartosz theory died out due to the fact that person killed by young Noah at the start of S2 is almost definitely older Bartosz, now I subscribe to another theory:

Alt-Bartosz is Adam. You cannot stop me!

Also also, my prediction is that Jonas will still end up deleting himself from existence at the end.

Episode 2:
    Catharina, you are few months in a past already, you know how time travel works, STOP ACTING LIKE A CRAZY PERSON

Tronte is in a story again! Aaaaaaaaaand he is revealed to be Regina's father just for those extra tragedy points when he kills her in a future. Not cool, not cool.

Episode 3:
    In S2, Adam said that "Bartosz was always naive".

Now he says to alt-Martha "I was always naive".

ADAM = BARTOSZ THEORY IS ALIVE ONCE AGAIN, BOYS AND GIRLS!

Episode 4:
    Egon, you were supposed to remain one fully positive character in this story, not join the cast of assholes!

Fuck, alt-Martha's and Jonas's son is an origin. I guess this is it, there is absolutely no hope for any happy ending here, the best case scenario is that entire fucking Winden deletes itself out of existence, I guess.

I am going to be crying like a child when this series ends.

Episode 5:
    So, let me get this straight:

Peter survived apocalypse just to die slightly later, accomplishing nothing

Catharina survived apocalypse just to die slightly later, accomplishing nothing

and Elisabeth gets assaulted by some random almost-rapist

I have gotta be honest with you all, only 3 episodes are left before ending, and I am starting to lose hope that we will get a satisfying conclusion to this story!

Adding to it the fact that grimdarkness of it is not turned into overdrive, I suspect that everyone here suffers or makes others suffer 24/7 just so we will not be too sad when Winden gets deleted from existence in the final episode.

Asthariel on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »
    There's only like three media companies in this country, so why do they keep chopping up their content and spreading it around? I should only need those three, Netflix, and Amazon. That should cover everything. But I can't because fuck knows.

You can definitely get to a state like Spotify where the content isn't exclusive at all and it goes for bargain basement prices. The flip side of that is how absolutely TERRIBLE it is for the people who actually make, produce and edit that content.

On the other hand, and this is not in any way to dismiss the concerns of artists who are being paid next to nothing for their work, but the music industry has been paying artists next to nothing for their work for decades. Spotify isn't making that better, but they're hardly the source of the problem.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    shryke wrote: »
    Turned in my cable box to Spectrum today. Apparently I don't watch TV anymore - just stream. Ugh. Getting old and having to adopt "disruptive" non-aggregated media bullshit young people use until it all inveitably collapses like a black hole back into aggregate homogeneity that is Network television, 2042...is tiring.

[kidding]

Having to subscribe to 5 different monthly streaming services is ironically the hell cable told us a la carte would be. (It's still usually better)

It's only that way because cable has decided to make it that way. With better consumer protections in regards to digital media, all this splintered content shit would not need to be a thing.

How? Like, what would be the rule change that would make this happen?

It would take a lot more than just a single rule change. It would need a badly-needed overhaul of copyright law to bring digital media rights into this century at a minimum, plus striking down all this region locking bullshit at the same time. It's utterly insane that something like Netflix has to have three different lineups of shows for three different countries because of geographic boundaries, and then you have to multiply that for all the different services and all the different regions.

Basically, there should be an assload more material in the public domain, a streaming service should be able to put everything it has a license for in any region it wants, the likes of Disney should get to say fuck-all about the duration of copyrights, and most shows that exist now should be on a flat fee system for licensing instead of this insane exclusive, massively-overpriced system. If five different services feel like adding MASH to their lineup in every region in which they operate, it should all cost them the same licensing fee. Obviously material made exclusively by a given service should stay exclusive to that service for a certain number of years, but stuff past, say, thirty years old should not need a stupid amount of digging to find who currently has the streaming rights.

I'm not seeing how this is cable's fault though. Which is what the post I was responding to said.

Anyway, as annoying as it is, different countries having different contracts and laws on this shit makes sense and I'm not sure why that is strange or out there.

And the fragmentation of the market across different services is because a lot of people with the money to start a streaming service are starting one and buying up content. It's an annoying decision and in many cases probably a stupid one, but it's just a function of anyone being allowed to enter the industry.

Even putting stuff into the public domain after X amount of years is not gonna fix that because the biggest gets right now are, at best, like 25 years old.

The situation is irritating but it's not really easily solvable or due to any one particular actor.

shryke on
    edited June 2020
    Wellp, I finished final season of Dark in it's entirety.
    If the message of this series was "never create a time machine" then it failed, because right now I wish to go back in time to tell a younger version of myself to prepare for disappointment after watching this ending.

Here I elaborate longer about why I feel this way:
    After first 2 seasons I was sure that this show is LOST but done right - there are a lot of mysteries, but entire story is written from beginning to the end, and screenwriters know in which direction it is all coming.

After final season I see it is another LOST ending, with even the same message - that "its not mysteries that were important, but connections between characters", only here 75 % of characters ceases to exist.

What was the purpose of Trinity character? Not much, just killing random people.

Why did Catharina survive S2 ending? To die some time later senselessly in S3.

Why did Peter survive? To die some time later senselessly in S3.

What was that all about with Boris Niewald? Nothing much, he really was a random guy that had to steal someone's identity after all, no mystery here.

What was that all about with Mikkel's fascination with Houdini? Nothing much, he still kills himself, and then gets deleted from existence.

Why did Jonas and Stranger see Mikkel covered in black ooze IN TWO SEPARATE SCENES in season 1? Who the fuck knows.

I spent something like 25 hours watching a story about "you cannot change our fate, because trying to do so will only make things worse" motive, but the same story was told already countless times before. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time trilogy done it better!

We spent 3 seasons watching how characters suffer and make themselves suffer, and in this ending we learn that it is not possible for those people to live and not suffer, it is necessary to delete them from existence entirely. The people we spent 3 seasons caring about no longer exists, but hey, at least fucking Woller gets a happy ending!

Right now, Im just sad, that I cared about this story and those characters, because I feel like I wasted my time.

Asthariel on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The Boys is bringing on Stormfront this season, with a slight change to being a woman. I can only hope Love Sausage makes an appearance as well.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    David S. Goyer is like what you'd get if an unwashed Tool t-shirt from 1997 gained sentience.

thats a bad thing now?

I have bad news for you nexus, it's always been a bad thing.

This anti-Tool agenda is as sad as trying to turn Foundation into some sort of sci-fi action drama TV series. Or really, into a TV series at all.

Some can't dig drums and basslines that are the musical equivalent of differential equations.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I need to finish Dark. I was somewhere in the 2nd season when I kinda just stopped. I have to be in the right kinda mood to watch it as it takes more concentration than normal.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    The Boys is bringing on Stormfront this season, with a slight change to being a woman. I can only hope Love Sausage makes an appearance as well.

I seem to remember there being a decent amount of Love Sausage last season

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited June 2020
    Could get Jeffrey Dean Morgan to play him too. My guess is no on the character and that Stormfront won't even be a Nazi.

Nosf on
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I need to finish Dark. I was somewhere in the 2nd season when I kinda just stopped. I have to be in the right kinda mood to watch it as it takes more concentration than normal.

I’m 2 eps into season 3 and have to really concentrate.

Even accounting for the language barrier, this is not a show to watch while half concentrating on something else.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wait, Season 3 of Dark just came out?!

But... but I am in the middle of other shows?

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Asthariel wrote: »
    About what specific characters are you talking about? Ulrich / Alexander / Stranger / Peter / Egon are visually very distinct from each other, just like Hannah / Regina / Charlotte / Katharina / Claudia are.

If I could answer this question, I wouldn't have a problem!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    That is why I have only made it four episodes in. Keeping track of everyone across multiple timelines when they all look the same is not especially fun, even though the show is really good.

It is the central bit of the fun!

Dissecting things to update the Pepe Silvia board in your mind after an episode is absolutely why I love the show.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    To people watching Season 3 of Dark, the song from the end of episode 4 is The Labyrinth Song by Asaf Avidan, and it’s amaaaaaaazing.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Watched Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga last night and man, it was night and day from the last comedy we watched. First it's the first Will Farrell movie I've enjoyed in a long time. Personally for me his shtick was already getting a bit old by Anchorman and it seemed like it was getting really bad recently. His cameo in the Between 2 Ferns movie was atrocious. But not only does this movie do a great job toning his shtick down but I really liked the songs. It felt like an old school movie, nothing fancy, a few laughs here and there.

Contrast that with The Lovebirds, which we watched last weekend. ugh, what a terrible movie. None of it was funny, which is a shame as I like both the lead actors. But they had no chemistry between them and it sort of felt like they improv'd a lot. Seemed like they wanted to go for a 21st Jump Street vibe but it just never came together.

Watching What we do in the Shadows and just finished S1. I think it may be better than the original movie. We've been laughing a ton, just a great show.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Netflix Canada grabbed the Studio Ghibli catalogue. Oh shit. Looks like all of it.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Watching What we do in the Shadows and just finished S1. I think it may be better than the original movie. We've been laughing a ton, just a great show.

S2E1 had me fucking dying. I love Guillermo's development, it's perfect.

My favorite joke in the show so far, though, is how "Jeff" sounds like a weak ejaculation. "Unf unf unf unf *jeff*" killed me.

(She's not wrong.)

:(

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Watched the Eurovision movie last night, thought it was great. Loved how
    all the musicians were basically good people, the Russian guy had some depth and his song was hilarious.
    also lost it at
    the elves shanking the finance minister. I did not see that coming.

Evermourn on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

S2E1 had me fucking dying. I love Guillermo's development, it's perfect.

My favorite joke in the show so far, though, is how "Jeff" sounds like a weak ejaculation. "Unf unf unf unf *jeff*" killed me.

(She's not wrong.)

:(

Some of the guest stars they get are just so f'ing perfect

Evermourn wrote: »
    all the musicians were basically good people, the Russian guy had some depth and his song was hilarious.
    also lost it at

Musicians
    That was a nice change of pace and was one of the things I really appreciated about the movie.

The other
    I really hated that the elves were real. The ghost was also pretty dumb and unnecessary, as well. But it's not a Will Ferrell movie without things to actively hate, I guess.

edited June 2020
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Evermourn wrote: »
    also lost it at

Musicians
    That was a nice change of pace and was one of the things I really appreciated about the movie.

The other
    I really hated that the elves were real. The ghost was also pretty dumb and unnecessary, as well. But it's not a Will Ferrell movie without things to actively hate, I guess.

I loved that they pulled previous Eurovision contestants and winners into the movie for a lot of the acts, rather than throwing actors at it and dubbing them.
    I really liked how they handled the Russian character. The whole movie it's looking like he's just the token villain out to break up the group and sleep with the female. Then it turns out he's just trying to help Sigrit since he see's her potential and how much of a fuck up Will Farrell's character is.

I didn't mind the Elves being real, I wish they hadn't shown the door open and close. Left it to us to decide if Lars is just crazy or whatever. Loved the scene though. The ghost wasn't great, but it was short so I'm ok with it. Would have been better to have her as some sort of reflection of Lars's dreams or something. Also the whole, go back to Iceland and resume life in less than 24 hours was weird. Kind of wish they had called out something like, "finals will be a week from now" or something, which would have helped the timeline. But it's a minor complaint. Really the most annoying Will Ferrell shtick stuff I hated was around the Americans. It's one of his things to just drag something on way past being funny. Saying more dumb stuff because if he keeps going past when it's acceptable, it's funnier right?

Also the soundtrack is on most streaming services. While they are all short, it's been fun listening to them while working.

Trajan45 on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    No Lordi, no sale:

https://youtu.be/gAh9NRGNhUU

Although, I hear Conchita Wurst and Alex Rybak are in it, so that's a plus.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    I finished Dark, and now want to immediately rewatch season one and two.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    No Lordi, no sale:

https://youtu.be/gAh9NRGNhUU

Teräsbetoni is also acceptable.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Finally finished Jojo's Stardust Crusaders, really kinda crap on the whole until the last 3 episodes and my appreciation of Jojo meme stock has gone down significantly. The animoo didn't even animate that walk pose meme. It does make me wonder if the Attack on Titan creator grew up reading Jojo a lot for inspiration.

Starting Diamond is Unbreakable and fuck dude, the creator has got some snuff fetish or something the way he keeps killing animals. It's like bro, you get to do that one time, but after that and you're being a douche, what are you, some pretentious PS4 exclusive game a mega dab and here's my Stand, Deez Nutz, doing a bigger dab.

edit:
    also fuck you for making Joseph an adulterer, not classy

TexiKen on
    I was not prepared for how wholesome Totoro is.

edited June 2020
    No Lordi, no sale:

They had sort of a tribute band for them.

Trajan45 on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Finally finished Jojo's Stardust Crusaders, really kinda crap on the whole until the last 3 episodes and my appreciation of Jojo meme stock has gone down significantly. The animoo didn't even animate that walk pose meme. It does make me wonder if the Attack on Titan creator grew up reading Jojo a lot for inspiration.

Starting Diamond is Unbreakable and fuck dude, the creator has got some snuff fetish or something the way he keeps killing animals. It's like bro, you get to do that one time, but after that and you're being a douche, what are you, some pretentious PS4 exclusive game a mega dab and here's my Stand, Deez Nutz, doing a bigger dab.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLx9WKf5mhs

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    https://youtu.be/3nWXFE3biN8

Viewer warning, shit gets wrecked.

DanHibiki on
    I feel like I'd like The Boys concept but I might just have to shelve it till later. Not sure I can handle a show about massive abuse of power given everything going on.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm not watching any clips I want to experience the awful first hand.

Season 1 was just the perfect amount of futile rage at a system designed to screw the heroes. And Karl Urban with his ridiculous accent not based in any reality.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So BNA is on Netflix now. It is a furry anime.

It is so much more anime than Beastars.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    TexiKen wrote: »

edit:

My understanding is the animal thing is just lazyness/trick in his toolkit, I think the guy is quoted as saying the easiest way to generate hate for a villian is have them hurt an animal. The series in general has the same view for treating women. Granted new york joseph kicks a cat and they actively make a domestic abuse joke, I felt like every jojo after the first we got was meant to be a corruption of the ideal. But the series itself is so themed around jerks and their sphere of toxic masculinity that I've been saying they arent trapped in the closet, they are locked in the tool shed.

Stardust crusaders is definitely a mixed bag, and really has one moment that I get how it happened, but was wholly unnecessary. It has some great one off horror stories going on in a fun way. I am still in the middle of diamond is unbreakable, and its been just ok, it really went full shonen(which is a choice for sure). The scope is interesting and I was that age during that time period so its a weird novelty. I find myself rapidly falling off still. I hear the next parts are good so I kind of want to keep up with it. I still want a speedwagon foundation hat but they more or less dont exist and all the bootleg stuff is very overpriced.

edit: Yup I saw that video reply above and my post mostly matches that entire conversation. You guys should watch anime too so you can understand the temptation to constantly match the stereotypes that occur, like finding out someone is watching something but then feeling the unholy urge to tell them they are doing it wrong. I find its close to but not exactly how people get about star trek watch lists and orders.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I feel like I'd like The Boys concept but I might just have to shelve it till later. Not sure I can handle a show about massive abuse of power given everything going on.

This was/is me with The Man in the High Castle.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

And me with the British House of Cards

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]

And me with the British House of Cards

And Handmaiden's Tale.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm rewatching Leverage, which takes place in a world where plucky ne-er-do-wells with hearts of gold dispense poetic justice.

This discussion has been closed.