As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New [movie] thread, same as the old one. New Bill and Ted, out soon!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Has anybody watched that animated prequel to Train of Busan? Is it any good?

Decent, definitely not as good but entertaining for most of the 100 minutes

I'm very interested in Peninsula https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peninsula_(film)

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Has anybody watched that animated prequel to Train of Busan? Is it any good?

Decent, definitely not as good but entertaining for most of the 100 minutes

I'm very interested in Peninsula https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peninsula_(film)

I'm interested, but the trailer for it does not look good. Particularly the cgi, but hopefully that can improve some.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm finishing up Baahubali 2 and these movies have been a ride

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Should I watch An Evening with Beverly Luff Lin, starring Jermaine Clement, Aubrey Plaza, Matt Berry and Craig Robinson?

Like, all of those people are excellent. There is no way this could suck.

Also, I gotta be honest. I may also watch Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga.

I am trash and I accept this.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Train to Busan oowwwwwwns

the zombie actors in Train to Busan should have all won every film award that year, even the ones they weren't eligible for

wow, weird "best cinematography" goes to...the zombie actors! from Train to Busan!!

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Train to Busan oowwwwwwns

It is amazing to me that they made a zombie movie with fairly bog standard character arcs and I was absolutely enthralled by it

It’s a stone cold bummer but man what a ride

It had everything I want out of a zombie flick

Class commentary that starts out subtle and then becomes a sledgehammer

Some wrinkles on the Rules of Zombies that surprise me

Some noble deaths for the Greater Good

It didn't reinvent the wheel, but it didn't try to. It was just a good-ass zombie flick

Edit: Oh and the "heaps of zombies" CG was impeccable

you watched Kingdom on netlfix?

it's this but in joseon period korea

• Options
    Eurovision Song Contest is off to a great start if only because Pierce Brosnan is somehow becoming even more gorgeous with age and pairing him with the beautiful vistas if Iceland isn't even fair.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Also gatdamn Demi Lavato can get it. I don't even know what it is. Whatever. Whatever it is she can get it whenever she wants.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Should I watch An Evening with Beverly Luff Lin, starring Jermaine Clement, Aubrey Plaza, Matt Berry and Craig Robinson?

Like, all of those people are excellent. There is no way this could suck.

I enjoyed it, and it's stuck with me.

But it's not a movie that I'd ever recommend, as it seems like the sort of thing 99% of human beings would loath.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Okay so a whole bunch of Studio Ghibli films are now on canadian netflix, and to my great shame the only one I've ever watched is Princess Mononoke, like twenty years ago

which one should I start with tonight?

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Well, Spirited Away is the best, but if you'd rather build up to it, you could go with Nausicaa, maybe Howl's moving castle.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Okay so a whole bunch of Studio Ghibli films are now on canadian netflix, and to my great shame the only one I've ever watched is Princess Mononoke, like twenty years ago

which one should I start with tonight?

Spirited Away is my favorite, but you can’t really go wrong.

I liked Porco Rosso a bunch.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    hmm. I did start reading Pratchett with Night Watch and that's always kind of made it hard for all of his other books to measure up, maybe I'll wait in Spirited Away for a bit

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Spirited Away is the best animated movie ever and I'll fight anybody who says different.

Also, Eurovision Song Contest: The Fire Saga Story is incredibly dumb but also weirdly wholesome and fun. Overall one of the better Will Ferrell bits in a little while. Also it's the closest we're getting to Eurovision this year.

Edit: alrighty An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn is 30 seconds in and already basically a Tim and Eric skit but more... malevolent.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    WHISPER OF THE HEART

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Oh uh by the way maybe don't start with Grave of the Fireflies.

Just... look just trust me on this one.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    2020 is not the year to watch Grave of the Fireflies for the first time.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    Well, Spirited Away is the best, but if you'd rather build up to it, you could go with Nausicaa, maybe Howl's moving castle.

This is the correct response IMO!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Watch Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro for some chill movies with essentially no real conflict

• Options
    it looks like Grave of the Fireflies is not one of the ones they added so I'm safe there for now

• Options
    An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn was delightful. I loved it. It was incredibly upsetting, made no sense, the acting was stilted and awkward, the cast ranged from goofy to down right menacing and it was perfect in every way.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Grave of the Fireflies was a double-feature with My Neighbor Totoro when they were originally released in Japanese theaters.

I'm not sure in what order they were shown.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies was a double-feature with My Neighbor Totoro when they were originally released in Japanese theaters.

I'm not sure in what order they were shown.

Initially it was Totoro first, Fireflies second, but too many people were leaving the theatres during Fireflies because of crushing sadness so they decided to switch them.

Also, they made it a double bill because Totoro was a gamble and they were hoping that enough schools would book field trips to see Fireflies as a historical film so it would serve as a promotion of a sorts.
    Those must have been fun school bus rides back home.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    2020 is not the year to watch Grave of the Fireflies for the first time.

there's never been a better time honestly, I'm already stone-numb from the Everything Else This Year

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Which movie should I watch tonight, Personal Shopper or Only God Forgives? I can't decide

https://www.strawpoll.me/20465465

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Someone give me a good introductory run into Bollywood. I want to expand my Indian movie watching beyond ridiculous action movies.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Someone give me a good introductory run into Bollywood. I want to expand my Indian movie watching beyond ridiculous action movies.

Try Monsoon Wedding.

Then find four free hours and watch Lagaan.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The Hitcher (1986); or Bechdel Test? What's a Bechdel Test?

Today on Descendant X Watches Movies What Nobody Has Watched in a While, we take a look at Robert Harmon's 1986 masterpiece, The Hitcher.

C. Thomas Howell plays Jim Halsey, a young man driving a car across country in a bid to move to California and leave his life in Chicago behind him. He picks up a mysterious hitchhiker (Rutger Hauer). Mayhem ensues.

This movie may have started the trope that if a SPAS shotgun shows up in a movie, the movie will not end until at least one character is killed onscreen with it.

Give it a watch!

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Which movie should I watch tonight, Personal Shopper or Only God Forgives? I can't decide

https://www.strawpoll.me/20465465

only god forgives is very bad for many reasons racism and lack of actual characters being prime among them

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Generally speaking, Nicolas Winding Refn isn't very interested in having characters in his movies.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    This movie may have started the trope that if a SPAS shotgun shows up in a movie, the movie will not end until at least one character is killed onscreen with it.

Chekhov's Combat Shotgun

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Eurovision is great. Rachel McAdams is fantastic in comedies, she seems to have a real vein of crazy energy just right underneath the surface, where you don't know what she would do. It's just barely restrained.

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular

Sholay is a good one to start with.

Some other stuff from the golden age that I really like are Pyaasa, Do Bigha Zamin, and Awaara.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Porco Rosso is not the best Miyazaki movie, but it is my favorite Miyazaki movie.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Generally speaking, Nicolas Winding Refn isn't very interested in having characters in his movies.

I still wish he was making the new Dune movie.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »

I still wish he was making the new Dune movie.

Dear god no

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    StempyStempy Registered User regular
    Dune, you say?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    why on Earth would you want Refn over the guy who made Blade Runner 2049 and Arrival?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I really don't think we need yet another dune movie driven by a guy with nothing but a nickel in his pocket and a bizarre set of aesthetic sensibilities

This discussion has been closed.