As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I would love to have a crokinole board, but wow they are pricey.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

yes, but to be fair, board games nowadays regularly run 60+ dollars depending on their components. $100 + shipping (this KS campaign) seems reasonable at that amount.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »

yes, but to be fair, board games nowadays regularly run 60+ dollars depending on their components. $100 + shipping (this KS campaign) seems reasonable at that amount.

Yeah, it's not unreasonable at all. Especially with their track record and current climate for getting these things made and shipped.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Merchants of the Dark Road looks really, really cool. I was so close, but then realized I spent way too much money essentially going all in on Return to the Dark Tower earlier in the year, and that's expected to arrive in January, 2021.

But I love the theme, and the components look incredible...so close to getting the deluxe version. I can just imagine sitting at the table, jingling those metal coins in my hand as I try to tempt fate with a risky decision.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    The new Godzilla: Tokyo Clash looks like King of Tokyo for people who hate dice. The character miniatures look great, the rest not so much.

I keep looking at the tiles and thinking that they really missed an opportunity to flip tiles over to show a damaged landscape. I am probably the only person who wants a kaiju themed tile laying game so I can't be too upset.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Honestly, I was sort of surprised no one's done a big kaiju battle TCG-style deckbuilder.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    It continues to baffle me how Megalon is in, like, every Godzilla game, even though he was only in one (particularly reviled) movie. He doesn't even show up in Final Wars, the movie that tried to include every monster that anyone ever cared about, even going out of its way to give the American Godzilla some screentime.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »

Noo! No more board games. Stop, Kickstar-oh what's this? Merchants of the Dark Road? Fuck.

oh god dammit

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    Had anyone bought Coma Ward and the expansions? I bought it a little while ago and I just now opened stuff up but the mystery guest Coma Ward expansion has two of the same scenario in it. I know there is supposed to be a mystery one but I'm not sure if this was intended or a mishap.

I did. The whole game is a HUGE pile of crap and you'll need a lot of house rules to make it work at all. You can start here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2240891/full-scenario-issues-verge-throwing-game-away

In any case that sounds like an error, I'd write the creators and ask for the missing one.

Damn, really? I thought the game sounded good. Wish I hadn't dropped the money on the base game and it's expansions now.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Oh it sounds kick ass, yeah. It just plays like Betrayal At The House On The Hill with the added feature of absolutely no playtesting

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Aw shit. Mayday's doing another Crokinole kickstarter.

Ooh, I think I'm finally in for a crokinole board! I think this'll be perfect for my wife and I (and visitors).

Initially I like the look of rosewood better...but I'm kind of wondering if maple might be better from a clarity perspective? Light wood, clean lines, easier to see the pieces? Am I crazy, or should I just go with my initial impression with whichever wood style I think looks better aesthetically?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ok so the price makes better sense now after reading the project. They are using maple or rosewood veneer. Thats a lot cheaper than going for a slab.

I did back the rosewood one. $100 is a good entry level price. It’ll be interesting to see how they wear.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »

Noo! No more board games. Stop, Kickstar-oh what's this? Merchants of the Dark Road? Fuck.

oh god dammit

I think it's easier to just compile a list of credit cards and this thread can just order games for me (us). Save me some reading.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular

Ooh, I think I'm finally in for a crokinole board! I think this'll be perfect for my wife and I (and visitors).

Initially I like the look of rosewood better...but I'm kind of wondering if maple might be better from a clarity perspective? Light wood, clean lines, easier to see the pieces? Am I crazy, or should I just go with my initial impression with whichever wood style I think looks better aesthetically?

Same boat. Rosewood looks gorgeous, but maple is more functional. I want to actually use it without squinting in frustration. I backed for maple. Crokinole!!!!!!

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    • Options
      Looking into the Mayday one has convinced me not to pick up an on-the-cheap Crokinole board. I get the feeling a large part of the satisfaction that comes with the feel of the game is the quality of the components.

I may have accidentally convinced myself to order a Tracey Traditional tournament Crokinole board in the process, though. What have you done to me, thread? What have I done to myself?

• Options
      ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
      ironzerg wrote: »
      Merchants of the Dark Road looks really, really cool. I was so close, but then realized I spent way too much money essentially going all in on Return to the Dark Tower earlier in the year, and that's expected to arrive in January, 2021.

But I love the theme, and the components look incredible...so close to getting the deluxe version. I can just imagine sitting at the table, jingling those metal coins in my hand as I try to tempt fate with a risky decision.

why the hell did you say metal coins you heartless bastard

• Options
      Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
      edited June 2020
      Looking into the Mayday one has convinced me not to pick up an on-the-cheap Crokinole board. I get the feeling a large part of the satisfaction that comes with the feel of the game is the quality of the components.

I may have accidentally convinced myself to order a Tracey Traditional tournament Crokinole board in the process, though. What have you done to me, thread? What have I done to myself?

I'm going for the inexpensive crokinole. I know a lot of the reception has been mixed which seems par for the territory at this price, but I saw recent productions seem to have gone better and it's hard to justify paying 200+ otherwise (though, boards I'm finding for those prices do look pretty great).

Custom Special on
      XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    • Options

those are fucking pretty coins too

• Options
      Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Didn't they massively fuck up delivery of the last one? With warped and broken boards getting shipped and then giving customers the run around? I'm sure I remember some drama.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    • Options
      edited June 2020
      I had convinced myself to drop the $100 on a board, then realized I need another $40 for shipping. While I understand these are huge and heavy, I'm gonna wait. Didn't realize shipping was that much on top.

Edit: Despite all that, get some Crokinole boards people. Great dexterity fun. Thinking I have some old good quality plywood from my kitchen counter, maybe I could make my own... :D

ArcSyn on
      4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      ironzergironzerg Registered User regular

Will you shut up. Merchants of the Dark Road never happened. We all went on vacation and drank Kool-Aid. There's no such thing, with such pretty, shining metal coins. That I bet feel amazing.

• Options
      CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
      Oh it sounds kick ass, yeah. It just plays like Betrayal At The House On The Hill with the added feature of absolutely no playtesting

It is really, startlingly bad. I have a hard time believing they played through even one game prior to releasing it. Like, Betrayal's pre-haunt game is basically boring and samey but it technically works. Some of the haunts are even not broken and even the worst ones you can kind of see how a perfect happy path setup would lead to it working.

Coma Ward is just shitty from start to finish. Of all my kickstarter purchases I think I regret that one more than any of the other ones that actually delivered a product.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    • Options
      Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
      edited June 2020
      I'll have to watch the Merchants of the Dark Road run thru later. I just wanted to say the creator's name seem suspicious. If my name was Brent Dickman, I would adopt a pseudonym. Something like Richard Dickman sounds more reassuring.

Dirk2112 on
      NNID = Zepp914
    • Options
      DashuiDashui Registered User regular

Will you shut up. Merchants of the Dark Road never happened. We all went on vacation and drank Kool-Aid. There's no such thing, with such pretty, shining metal coins. That I bet feel amazing.

Don't forget the resin pieces: quartz, lanterns, and other markers! Die-cast metal horseshoes! Screen-printed trader meeples!

It's so pretty. I don't think I can resist.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    • Options
      ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
      Cross-post from the 3D printing thread, but I wanted to solve the problem of Ingen VS Raptors insert not fitting sleeved cards, so had a bit of fun going above and beyond. My favourite part was making the floating holders for the miniatures so that if I paint them, they don't touch anything in the box~
      pbhyr8nlrp8l.jpg
      hf7mrkjxwg9h.jpg
      i6on7zzabfto.jpg
      szh75u6zp50t.jpg

I forget if I mentioned that I had the idea to try and create an entire replacement set of components for Antiquity, so try and make the game A LITTLE less fiddly and more over-the-top. I think that project will take some time to really figure out (as well as a few other colours of materials), so it's not going to happen overnight ... but it seems like a fun idea.

• Options
      That insert is so... extra. It's beautiful.

• Options
      HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
      If anyone else ever liked the idea of Gloomhaven but just couldn't be bothered with the size of that beast, Jaws of the Lion is a very nice bite-sized substitute. I got it, punched it, bagged it, and soloed the first five scenarios in the last 24 hours. There's not the mammoth amount of unlockables any everything else in the box, but there are four fun character classes with a couple dozen pleasantly-sized missions. And being able to fit everything easily on a 2'x3' folding table makes it feasible to set it up in the living room while watching TV with my spouse, rather than having to take over the dining table all night.

• Options
      HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
      Also, every card for the Voidwarden in Jaws of the Lion is basically the cursed frogurt scene from the Simpsons.

"I will heal you for four."
      "That's good!"
      "You're now also poisoned."
      "That's bad."
      "But I will also give you two extra attacks on your next turn."
      "That's good!"
      "You also need to shuffle two curses into your deck."
      "...Can you stop targeting me with your spells now?"

• Options
      Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
      The Terraforming Mars app is on sale, so I bought it for myself and my dad. Played one game against an ai, it seems okay I dunno. The app is annoyingly over animated and kinda wonky, but it worked so whatever.

• Options
      KelorKelor Registered User regular
      Can anyone speak to how good an adaptation of Gloomhaven the PC early access version is?

$25 is a lot cheaper than the $250 it is here, and not having to worry about set up would be a big deal.

• Options
      Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
      edited June 2020
      I believe it's still single player only, has randomised quests rather than the set missions of the board game and a number of classes/cards missing. Plans for much more but current state is still very much not done.

There's a fairly full featured (if a tad fiddly) Tabletop Simulator mod however if that might help.

Jam Warrior on
      MhCw7nZ.gif
    • Options
      DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
      Speaking of, I've been getting into playing with some friends via tabletop simulator, so we were looking at getting some DLC, but thing is I look at the DLC list and I've played like three of these things (Blood Rage, Tiny Epic Galaxies, and Euphoria). So I would appreciate some suggestions! We're a group that oscillates between 4 and 5 players depending on whether the fifth can make it that day, so games that go to 5 without going to pieces are a plus.

Steam ID: Right here.
    • Options
      antheremantherem Registered User regular
      Kelor wrote: »
      Can anyone speak to how good an adaptation of Gloomhaven the PC early access version is?

$25 is a lot cheaper than the $250 it is here, and not having to worry about set up would be a big deal.

It's not Gloomhaven yet - the current implementation is as Jam Warrior said some random quests rather than the campaign, which is coming - but it's promising. The tutorial slow-walks you through the rules and each of the starting characters in a way the base box doesn't and really needed to (corrected by Jaws of the Lion for the most part.) And the gameplay loop in-mission feels like playing Gloomhaven.

They've somehow managed to make using elements just as annoying and fiddly as it is in the board game, but in a completely different way where using them requires clicking a little icon on the card image, but only at exactly the right time, and the visual for "this is activated now" is easy to miss. And it really needs universal Undo if you haven't seen any random/hidden information yet, at least until they clean up the fiddly bits. It's too easy to accidentally miss your window to use an item or element.

• Options
      Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
      Drascin wrote: »
      Speaking of, I've been getting into playing with some friends via tabletop simulator, so we were looking at getting some DLC, but thing is I look at the DLC list and I've played like three of these things (Blood Rage, Tiny Epic Galaxies, and Euphoria). So I would appreciate some suggestions! We're a group that oscillates between 4 and 5 players depending on whether the fifth can make it that day, so games that go to 5 without going to pieces are a plus.

First off don't but any of that dlc. Second off, The Crew and Northern Pacific are good TTS games that go to 5p. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

• Options
      A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
      Kelor wrote: »

The TTS scripted mod is very good IMO.

• Options
      antheremantherem Registered User regular
      Ah_Pook wrote: »
      Drascin wrote: »

First off don't but any of that dlc. Second off, The Crew and Northern Pacific are good TTS games that go to 5p. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Eh, some of the DLC isn't bad. Cosmic Encounter and Unearth are pretty good! Wingspan is OK, but there isn't enough automation. Some of it is just garbage though, like Blood Rage has scripting but it's broken.

• Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      Huh, neat. So apparently Pinebox (the folks who have been keeping Doomtown going) have been working on a new 7'th Sea card game?

persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • Options
      A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
      PMAvers wrote: »
      Huh, neat. So apparently Pinebox (the folks who have been keeping Doomtown going) have been working on a new 7'th Sea card game?

Was there an old one? I assume they were not in charge of the RPG reboot? I have not heard many positive thing on that one. Tho I’m pretty sure old 7th Sea was also a mess rules wise, high school me just don’t care.

• Options
      AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      both L5R And 7th Sea started as card games, yes. 7th Sea never caught on like L5R did, but the RPG was successful.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • Options
      KelorKelor Registered User regular
      I have some very fond memories of sailing my ship up to other players in 7th Seas, throwing grappling hooks onto the other ship so they couldn’t get away and then unloading my cannons into them repeatedly.