As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ter's Block

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    duck

typing

???

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I went to bed thinking about the story scene chat was helping me with, but also with too much caffeine in my system. I got woken up twice, by two seperate variations of the scene making my heart pound in excitement. I think one of the versions put the scene into a bright field of flowers filled with round stone towers because I took a bath with a floral bath bomb.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i feel like the people who like python aren't programmers

I like python but I'm *checks notes* a "Systems Engineer", whatever that is

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    vXML or bust

w6s52iupbox7.png

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    0b4e985bb8a2f3ae5bef73915c45e346bd736427.png

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Yessssssss, let's gatekeep all the lesser languages.

VB people, you are no better than HTML junkies.
    but wait i worked on webpages with vb.net backends

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    I dont think i did that right, but whatever

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    VishNub wrote: »
    duck

typing

???

In python you don’t have to explicitly declare the type of any variable (like is it a string or an int), so it gets assigned based on how you use it and can get reassigned. Sometimes this is good, sometimes you get fucked by it.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I also hate R with a passion. The language I am best at and find easiest is C++. Maybe I'm just secretly 100 years old?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    duck

typing

???

the saner way of handling dynamic typing than how JS handles it

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    duck

typing

???

Because Python was clearly written by a duck typing randomly on a keyboard, you see.

credeiki wrote: »
    duck

typing

???

In python you don’t have to explicitly declare the type of any variable (like is it a string or an int), so it gets assigned based on how you use it and can get reassigned. Sometimes this is good, sometimes you get fucked by it.
    bowen wrote: »
    duck

typing

???

you both wildly overestimate my frogramming knowledge :)

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I also hate R with a passion. The language I am best at and find easiest is C++. Maybe I'm just secretly 100 years old?

No you want to program not just do some data work on the side.

I think that is it.

Python and R are great for data work.

Python also works for small automation tasks, especially around data.

They aren't for programming.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

You're also a big Powershell user so

ya know

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Python is the preferred language of people working with large datasets, usually in social or science stuff that they need to crunch some data with.

I have some baseless speculation that this is largely due to sunk costs and they already have all the tooling for Python and can't be arsed recreating it in other languages.

My current theory is that duck typing made more sense 30 years ago when python was created and IDEs were fast less advanced, so strict type systems were a bigger burden.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    Shivahn wrote: »
    duck

typing

???

Because Python was clearly written by a duck typing randomly on a keyboard, you see.

this is my level

Was it a great workout if you need to spackle the ceiling after?

May have gotten a bit enthusiastic near the end when doing 100 macebell 360 swings.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Python is the preferred language of people working with large datasets, usually in social or science stuff that they need to crunch some data with.

I have some baseless speculation that this is largely due to sunk costs and they already have all the tooling for Python and can't be arsed recreating it in other languages.

I think it is more that python and R have really strong communities building out tools and such for free for folks.

A few of my R packages are actually written in C++ but run through R.

Data.table being the biggest example.

Almost all the excel packages are written in Java. And love to break like all things Java.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    horse

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Duck typing, reading about it, seems even more stupid than usual dynamic typing...

"Just allow the programmer to do whatever and throw output errors while still running the code"

??????????

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Python took off because the obviously superior Perl's builtins were too lean and it didn't put user education / documentation as a first principle

Too many unhelpful evangelists too, maybe

Tumin on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    (i didn't mean it as "if you like python, then you aren't a programmer" but rather, people who end up programming from non-computer science / programming backgrounds appreciate the conveniences of python instead of finding them frustrating. i apologize for my insensitive remarks and will reflect in the chamber of shame)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

I love python; I think it is very easy to use; I use it professionally every day; and yes. Not a programmer but I do write code for money so whatever, I think I don’t need to get my hackles up over the semantics.

I also have written multiprocessing code a couple of times but it’s v bad, as I said before. However some libraries multiprocess by their own and also there are workarounds.

Prof software engineer, python is my preferred language.

But I mostly use perl at work because idk my boss is a time traveler from the distant past or something

It's because it's not statically typed I think.

So you can do what PHP and JS do and reassign variables to your hearts content and the language just doesn't give a fuck at the current time until you try to use a method that isn't implemented in the class, then it throws a runtime error instead of a compile time error.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    duck

typing

???

you an enforce type hints with some extensions to help make it be more statically typed

additionally things like numpy and pandas and SciPy are written in C++ but have a python wrapper

python's neat as hell

tyrannus on

ya know

I've hardly gotten to write any powershell in so long.

Stupid *nix environments

I would honestly rather write C and Java code than Python though, I really hate Python.

Runtime errors: for people who insist that they can just write bug-free code.

edited June 2020
    duck

typing

???

duck

typing

???

Oh in any case I realized duck typing doesn’t quite refer to what I mean

It means that you can try to do anything with any variable and if it works it works and if it doesn’t the interpreter gets sad about it instead of preventing you from trying the thing in the first place based on the variable’s type

I guess I don’t care about this? I mean sometimes you realize that you thought you had a string but instead you had a list or whatever and then you fix it. You can always just do if dtype(a)==string:
    in order to check, so dunno what the problem is really.

credeiki on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I would honestly rather write C and Java code than Python though, I really hate Python.

with python tho, you can have a wrapper around computational heavy C code, and rely on python for I/O and GUI stuff. especially if you wanna get around the global interpreter lock.

it's easier to use Qt for UI stuff in Python than it is in C++

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Come back Tav's [chat], all is forgiven

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Come back Tav's [chat], all is forgiven

the frog rammers are coming out of the walls!

Anyway this pisses me off because I’m a python coder—that’s pretty much my whole job/career/skillset —so I’m going to go back to sleep
    >:[

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

ya know

I've hardly gotten to write any powershell in so long.

Stupid *nix environments

Trying to relearn Linux so I got a Raspberry Pi. God I forgot how unintuitive things like parameter names can be. Switching to zsh helped though. Feels like a shell written in the last century at least

Runtime errors: for people who insist that they can just write bug-free code.

Yeah my dynamic code in C# is a fucking mess of error handling because you can't trust ANYTHING of being accurate or conforming to a model.

For instance, if you're parsing a json file and pushing it into a dynamic obj because you're lazy, you'd run the risk of data being missing, referencing null elements, older formatting, etc. Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. I try not to use dynamic unless it's a real small thing and I can cover its warts effectively that no one will notice.

Trying to relearn Linux so I got a Raspberry Pi. God I forgot how unintuitive things like parameter names can be. Switching to zsh helped though. Feels like a shell written in the last century at least

I'm a fish person.

e0gi6zmhbbcg.png

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    duck

typing

???

duck

typing

???

It's from the expression "if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck."

In languages like C++, you have to strictly specify exactly what a variable is. If you want to hold an integer, you have to specifically create an "int" variable--and you can't change that variable later on to hold text, because you've already decided it's an int. That means you always know exactly what type something is... if I ask for a number, I'm guaranteed to get a number.

In python, you don't have to do that. The important thing is that it has the interface you want. So you might have a variable "myVar" and you might call the function "myVar.quack()". You don't care what type of variable myVar is, all you care about is that it has a function called "quack()".

There are pros and cons to each. Python's flexibility can make it easier to work with at times, but can also make it harder to diagnose issues.

edited June 2020

I'm a fish person.

e0gi6zmhbbcg.png

I would use that one

VishNub on
This discussion has been closed.