As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ter's Block

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    You know what's cool

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

Saves so much time compared to typing things more than once, especially when it comes to addresses to YouTube videos

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    like I did most of my school in C and you know what? GDB sucks (even with the GUI option) and Valgrind is annoying. Getting segfaults is bullshit and horrid. C's great if you're coding super low level lightweight shit that needs to run fast but it doesn't have to be the be-all end-all solution. Python just tries to make it easier to bridge across different programming modules. It's cheap and lightweight and is perfect for pipelining data or launching rapid analytics.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah GDB is awful, Visual Studio's debugger is like understanding the secrets of the universe once you start using it for debugging.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    galaxy brain:
    python doesn't need multithreading because I made everything into mircoservices running on AWS Lambda

what could go wrong?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Come back Tav's [chat], all is forgiven

you had your chance

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    You know what's cool

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

Saves so much time compared to typing things more than once, especially when it comes to addresses to YouTube videos

this is also my level

howling at "the creator of the series isn't involved" being a selling point

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Come back Tav's [chat], all is forgiven

Not my fault y'all drove Ulpian and Cassius Dio out

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    duck

typing

???

In python you don’t have to explicitly declare the type of any variable (like is it a string or an int), so it gets assigned based on how you use it and can get reassigned. Sometimes this is good, sometimes you get fucked by it.

so if a variable is supposed to be a string but its value is like, 12 or whatever?

fuck gendered marketing
    galaxy brain:
    mathematically pure functional programming language
    don't need to worry about types because the only type is "function"

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    Aioua wrote: »
    galaxy brain:

gotta implement your own types with math

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    duck

typing

???

In python you don’t have to explicitly declare the type of any variable (like is it a string or an int), so it gets assigned based on how you use it and can get reassigned. Sometimes this is good, sometimes you get fucked by it.

so if a variable is supposed to be a string but its value is like, 12 or whatever?

Yes, but fun fact some languages will just let you use it like a string and convert automatically for you. Always fun

bowen wrote: »
    galaxy brain:

gotta implement your own types with math

Oh you want integers?

f(f(f(x)

ok there's 3

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Only machine code is truly holy. Everything else is fel tech.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    imagining jedi academy being all "no George Lucas here no siree"

• Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    I've been a C# programmer for nearly a decade. Some day I might learn how to do real programming.

galaxy brain:

There are now Fifteen Standards

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    omg spotify is playing that song that Reply All featured as an unidentifiable earworm
    laughing out loud

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    me to my children: you have to follow the rules even if I'm not here to watch you
    me: this is important because I have to do a job so we can have food and a place to live, and I cannot do that job if you are fucking up every time I am elsewhere
    my children: ?
    children: ??

I've been a C# programmer for nearly a decade. Some day I might learn how to do real programming.

C# is like if a mad scientist created a new language by genetically splicing Java and Python together.

I'm listening to Hellfire and damn this guy is horny to a degree of intensity that I don't think is actually humanly possible.

If you think about it, Frollo is the ultimate incel.

me to my children: you have to follow the rules even if I'm not here to watch you
    me: this is important because I have to do a job so we can have food and a place to live, and I cannot do that job if you are fucking up every time I am elsewhere

you have kids!?

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Trying to relearn Linux so I got a Raspberry Pi. God I forgot how unintuitive things like parameter names can be. Switching to zsh helped though. Feels like a shell written in the last century at least

I'm a fish person.

e0gi6zmhbbcg.png

I would use that one

GEE I WONDER WHY

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I'm listening to Hellfire and damn this guy is horny to a degree of intensity that I don't think is actually humanly possible.

this sounds like a challenge

vRyue2p.png

this sounds like a challenge

VH no! hasn't notre dame suffered enough?

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

you have kids!?

Wow, it really has been awhile for you, hasn't it? :P

vRyue2p.png
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

you have rules?!

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    we used to have similar conversations with our dog.

Less about following rules and more about stealing butter though.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

you have kids!?

We should list everything that has changed and see if we can shock him into catatonia

It's plausible

GUESS WHERE I LIVE

GUESS HOW MANY PEOPLE IN CHAT ARE TRANSGENDER

DK IS MARRIED????

BABIES ERRYWHERE

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

"don't steal the butter" is more of a norm

fuck gendered marketing
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Bethryn wrote: »

Lia wants desperately to play with me hardcore, which sucks because she evoked a real bad throbbing headache by waking me up at 6 repeatedly throughout the last week.

Shivahn wrote: »

you have kids!?

We should list everything that has changed and see if we can shock him into catatonia

It's plausible

GUESS WHERE I LIVE

DK IS MARRIED????

BABIES ERRYWHERE

Who won Game of Thrones?!

you have kids!?

It's plausible

GUESS WHERE I LIVE

DK IS MARRIED????

BABIES ERRYWHERE

so many

so very many

fuck gendered marketing
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

you have kids!?

It's plausible

GUESS WHERE I LIVE

DK IS MARRIED????

BABIES ERRYWHERE

Half of us now exist as brains in a box.

Thanks Geth.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

smwryol6z6ay.jpg

2020, breaking all the records for everything.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Elldren wrote: »

you have kids!?

It's plausible

GUESS WHERE I LIVE

DK IS MARRIED????

BABIES ERRYWHERE

so many

so very many

this is my favorite development. i transitioned in the time I was away and when I came back it turns out a bunch of you did too. Makes me feel connected in a weird way.

One of the things I promised myself when I decided to start posting again was that i wouldn't do that thing where I get weirdly personal and saccharine, but I Just gotta say that it feels really nice to see folks here again :surprised:

edited June 2020
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

smwryol6z6ay.jpg

the best/worst part is that that guy wrote and filed that, himself, pro se

he wants you to know just how horny he is

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

smwryol6z6ay.jpg

doh!

This discussion has been closed.