As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]ter's Block

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    I continue to not really understand the PSA hatred
    I have listened consistently for two years or so. I mean its four white guys and half or more are named Jon. I like that they bring in guest speakers and cover a wide variety of stuff and work with Deray McKesson. Its just they are so supremely punchable in that DC nerd way. Even though they consider themselves DC outsiders they are deeply deeply entrenched in navel gazing even as they joke about the navel gazing.

It didn't really hit me until Covid how much their podcast kind of sucks these days. Not sure how to describe my dislike. I enjoy them as a source of news so I keep listening. But their coverage on the riots seemed to be wayyyy too analytic and seemed to miss the mark for me regarding what people are feeling right now.

They think the West Wing is how politics should work. They are deeply wrong in how to govern and did you hear that one time when their best friend obama won because of how good of speech writers they are.

Also at least some of them are heavily invested in gofundme so they can go fuck themselves when talking about healthcare reform.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    ...smuggies?

you'd think it's a weird sex thing but it was actually about posting memes of ridiculously extreme political standpoints
    daefrisn7zf6.jpg

just a shittier, more racist version of politicalcompassmemes

The internet is a mistkae

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    910Fdn2.jpg?1

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing that WFH is ending here. On one hand, I really enjoy the naps I am taking over lunch. On the other hand, any time I finish with those naps I'm like "Eh, I could easily just call in sick for the rest of the day, right? I don't have anything too pressing..."

Then I get reminded of a 1PM meeting that I'm tangentially related to and.. fuck.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

...Palmetto State Armory? Prostate-specific antigen?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I have listened consistently for two years or so. I mean its four white guys and half or more are named Jon. I like that they bring in guest speakers and cover a wide variety of stuff and work with Deray McKesson. Its just they are so supremely punchable in that DC nerd way. Even though they consider themselves DC outsiders they are deeply deeply entrenched in navel gazing even as they joke about the navel gazing.

It didn't really hit me until Covid how much their podcast kind of sucks these days. Not sure how to describe my dislike. I enjoy them as a source of news so I keep listening. But their coverage on the riots seemed to be wayyyy too analytic and seemed to miss the mark for me regarding what people are feeling right now.

I haven't listened for a few months. In general I like them because I live in the DC bubble. And their bubble talk sounds a lot like the folks I spend time with. Mostly folks with a grad degree of some sort who are lefties but are painful pragmatist because we all work in the sausage factory here.

Though I do think the fact it got popular allowed them to produce much more important and better stuff not with the normal crew. This Land for example is fantastic. Pod Save the People as well. I like Pod Save the World a bit more as well but again my MA is international studies so it is my thing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

these are fair points
    Doodmann wrote: »
    They think the West Wing is how politics should work. They are deeply wrong in how to govern and did you hear that one time when their best friend obama won because of how good of speech writers they are.

Also at least some of them are heavily invested in gofundme so they can go fuck themselves when talking about healthcare reform.

i dont really think these are

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Honestly I like Palmetto well enough, everyone says their rifles are poverty ponies but you know what they've done more to make them accessible and drive costs down in the rest of the industry --

What?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    If they simply must be a neoliberal, they should at least be embarrassed enough to do it in private.

Coinage on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I still listen to Pod Save America, but admittedly I listen to What A Day a lot more regularly - to the point where it's part of my morning routine and I felt withdrawl that they are taking this week off.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I haven't listened for a few months. In general I like them because I live in the DC bubble. And their bubble talk sounds a lot like the folks I spend time with. Mostly folks with a grad degree of some sort who are lefties but are painful pragmatist because we all work in the sausage factory here.

Though I do think the fact it got popular allowed them to produce much more important and better stuff not with the normal crew. This Land for example is fantastic. Pod Save the People as well. I like Pod Save the World a bit more as well but again my MA is international studies so it is my thing.
    It could be a shift in my priorities as well. Since corona, normal politics just seems like a back burner priority right now so I think they are struggling as well. I also think WFH hit them pretty hard. Their tone got a lot darker and they all SOUND slightly or majorly depressed on some newer episodes.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

their token never trump republican friend was peddling george soros shit for facebook lol

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    is dark mode better for my eyes or worse for my eyes

poo
  • Options
    edited June 2020

It could be a shift in my priorities as well. Since corona, normal politics just seems like a back burner priority right now so I think they are struggling as well. I also think WFH hit them pretty hard. Their tone got a lot darker and they all SOUND slightly or majorly depressed on some newer episodes.

I think they are a lot of extroverts. That isn't a surprise to me. I don't feel this moment is their time.

Really my podcasting right now are mostly NPR Upfirst, a bunch of stuff around racism in the US because NPR keeps putting in my feed and its good, and stuff around Warhammer. And usually Adventure Zone and Reply all when they show up.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The only good podcast is a dead podcast.

And Song Versus Song. I like that one.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Dan Pfeiffer was Vice President for Communications and Policy at GoFundMe from December 2015 to September 2017

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Still been enjoying Revolutions. It's on break now tho.

• Options

I think they are a lot of extroverts. That isn't a surprise to me. I don't feel this moment is their time.

Really my podcasting right now are mostly NPR Upfirst, a bunch of stuff around racism in the US because NPR keeps putting in my feed and its good, and stuff around Warhammer. And usually Adventure Zone and Reply all when they show up.
    I wish there was a timer where PJ and Alex get tazed for taking too long with new episodes. I love that show and its always a delight when they have a new one but takes forever.

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I am looking forward to seeing hamilton later this week

a mere half decade after its cultural moment

GF is coming over after her hair cut. I am making lamb. And we are going to watch it together. I am super excited.

Meanwhile, when the wife gets home, we will be watching the best musical movie on netflix: Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

After berry picking yesterday we were looking at shows and she straight up said "That looks stupid." I was heart broken.

Not really. I am not a comedy person. We watched Bourdain and Patriot Act instead.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

On break?

Close enough to dead, but I'm got my eye on it.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

Oh yeah, and I feel like having to shill Zip-Recruiter during a historic depression has got to be fucking soul sucking.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    losing my commute (yay!) has meant that i haven't listened to a podcast in months : (

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

On break?

Close enough to dead, but I'm got my eye on it.

He finished the 1905 Revolution and is now writing a book about Lafayette and will continue Russia in October.

• Options

Oh yeah, and I feel like having to shill Zip-Recruiter during a historic depression has got to be fucking soul sucking.

Of the three job boards I get emails from, ziprecruiter is by far the worst, also

• Options
    In this time of crisis, Ziprecruiter is here to help you find a job*

*there are no jobs

• Options

the ads are what made me quit listening

hello let me tell you about ethical hedge funds

• Options
    I think I mostly listen to PSA for Jon Lovett. The number of gay jokes he makes that go wayyyy over the other 3 Jons' heads is hilarious.

• Options

Ziprecruiter: Hey, we can filter resumes stupider and faster than even HR can!

Ziprecruiter: Trust our algorithm, designed to turn thousands of applicants into a contextless slurry of unacceptable candidates!

Ziprecruiter: Death Panels, but for job applicants! You want this!

Ziprecruiter: DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    me to my children: you have to follow the rules even if I'm not here to watch you
    me: this is important because I have to do a job so we can have food and a place to live, and I cannot do that job if you are fucking up every time I am elsewhere
    my children: ?
    children: ??

you have rules?!

All we have is the stick!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The friend I have as Hoju in my contacts has taken the ball and run with it

Her contacts list now includes Daddy's Chubby Little Secret, Guy Incognito and Are Poo and Ass Already Taken

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    I think I mostly listen to PSA for Jon Lovett. The number of gay jokes he makes that go wayyyy over the other 3 Jons' heads is hilarious.

Lovett is a treasure. I like Lovett or Leave It as a nice palette cleanser but again I feel that might be a thing that doesn't exist now because I stopped listening.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    psa foreign policy is like

trump should be more belligerent, but less openly so

• Options
    anyway long story short i was radicalized by blue apron ads

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    huh, that's cool. I was looking at whether Microsoft was going to be part of the advertiser boycott of facebook and apparently they had already cut all spending on Facebook+Instagram worldwide back in May and even earlier for the US. It just wasn't a big thing being reported at the time as the larger boycott hadn't got going yet.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    losing my commute (yay!) has meant that i haven't listened to a podcast in months : (

I started listening to podcasts while playing league again; specifically I decided to catch up on my ~3 years of missed Savage Lovecast episodes and I’m happy I am doing that. I should probably subscribe to him again cause I would enjoy having longer episodes and I like his interviews. Dan Savage continues to be one of my absolute favorite people and so influential in making me more emotionally intelligent over the past decade or so.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    psa foreign policy is like

trump should be more belligerent, but less openly so

These sweeping characterizations that I just don't pick up on at all

• Options
    PSA more specifically PSW has pretty interesting and thought foreign policy made up with lots of folks who worked in it during the Obama admin. And I find the conversations really interesting and informative even when I disagree.

Again they are very very much sausage making discussion and don't fit well in any heavily defined political realm at times.

But again that is my background. And an area that I know I differ on things with a lot of folks.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    For some deranged reason now I'm trying to beat Darkest Dungeon finally

I blame @21stCentury

• Options
    I've mostly stopped listening to podcasts. Not having hours at work waiting for reactions to finish and an hour a day of commuting has put a damper on that.

This discussion has been closed.