As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]ter's Block

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    From what I gather on Twitter, PSA is feckless neoliberalism in the guise of wonkery

I should note that I am on leftist twitter

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    From what I gather on Twitter, PSA is feckless neoliberalism in the guise of wonkery

That describes like 90% of the world according to twitter.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Paradox strategy games are a good time for 'casts.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Paradox strategy games are a good time for 'casts.

read this as racists for a moment

I mean who hasn't played space nazis in Stellaris...

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Space nazis are boring.

Devouring swarm kthx.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    with regards to podcasts, the History of Egypt podcast is so good. Especially since the creator went back and re-did his early episodes based on what he learned over the years (both in terms of content and production of a podcast).

https://egyptianhistorypodcast.com/

If nothing else check out episode 3 for the, shall we say, "unredacted" version of the myth of Horus and Seth. If you are at work make sure you have headphones. https://egyptianhistorypodcast.com/2013/01/04/episode-3-stairway-to-heavenn/

And he got permission to use the music from Children of the Nile for intros / transitions which is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo8MKQiTK7M

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »

That describes like 90% of the world according to twitter.
    Would you believe me if I told you I'm really mad about 90% of the world

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/balmoral-outdoor-toilet-scli-gbr-intl/index.html
    Walkers are relieving themselves in the grounds of Queen Elizabeth's Scottish residence, staff have said.
    Employees at Balmoral Castle, which the Queen frequently visits for holidays throughout the year, have complained about wet wipes being left on the estate and urged people not to use the spot as an outdoor toilet.
    "If you need to pee, please do so at least 30 metres from lochs or streams," they added in a tweet on Sunday. "If you need to defecate, do so as far away as possible from buildings, paths, water courses and farm animals. Bury faeces in a shallow hole and replace the turf."

I uh

why go somewhere without any toilets?

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    wcjj8dn5lveo.png

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I'm pretty okay with setting aside some mental bandwidth for feckless neoliberal wonkery

for everything a season

• Options
    Trace wrote: »
    https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/balmoral-outdoor-toilet-scli-gbr-intl/index.html
    Walkers are relieving themselves in the grounds of Queen Elizabeth's Scottish residence, staff have said.
    Employees at Balmoral Castle, which the Queen frequently visits for holidays throughout the year, have complained about wet wipes being left on the estate and urged people not to use the spot as an outdoor toilet.
    "If you need to pee, please do so at least 30 metres from lochs or streams," they added in a tweet on Sunday. "If you need to defecate, do so as far away as possible from buildings, paths, water courses and farm animals. Bury faeces in a shallow hole and replace the turf."

I uh

it's cool that they actually give a bit of useful advice there as opposed to just going all RAWR HUMANS NEVER POOP

there is a real problem around here with dog waste contributing to excess phosphorus in streams and lakes. urban dogs are just the worst sometimes.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

I uh

it's cool that they actually give a bit of useful advice there as opposed to just going all RAWR HUMANS NEVER POOP

there is a real problem around here with dog waste contributing to excess phosphorus in streams and lakes. urban dogs are just the worst sometimes.

I mean yeah

but also install some goddamn toilets

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    losing my commute (yay!) has meant that i haven't listened to a podcast in months : (

same, but for books

I’ve started eating breakfast/coffee outside so I have at least half an hour where I read outside

It’s helping a lot; maybe you can do something similar where you eat away from the computer so there is reading time

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I am ideologically in favor of using royal estates as public latrines

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I think it's important to have some fecks

• Options

I uh

I mean yeah

but also install some goddamn toilets

I don't know how remote that location is but such installations are often high maintenance and high impact to install in areas that are either environmentally sensitive or have valuable archeology in the ground. Though there have been improvements in how to build what are essentially better-designed outhouses. There were some interesting ones out at the rest stops in the Quinault reservation along the washington coast.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Man Scott Adams is whining his tv show got cancelled because he’s White

And he’s so pathetic he’s answering every reply on twitter

• Options
    Is there anything sadder?

• Options
    It is odd that they have what is apparently an outdoor recreation space/park but no restrooms?

But it's not like a wilderness area where that makes sense. And why is this only a problem now, what did people do before COVID?

• Options
    edited June 2020

Sometimes I see businesses on yelp/google or like houses on ABB where the owner replies to every comment and i immediately know to avoid visiting/staying/shopping at that place.

VishNub on
  • Options
    MrMister wrote: »

Public Lands!

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    It is odd that they have what is apparently an outdoor recreation space/park but no restrooms?

But it's not like a wilderness area where that makes sense. And why is this only a problem now, what did people do before COVID?

It's not very clear in the article, but I thought they implied that there are public toilets normally but that they're closed due to COVID.

• Options

let's ask Liebot

comic.php?date=09052006

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Man Scott Adams is whining his tv show got cancelled because he’s White

And he’s so pathetic he’s answering every reply on twitter

Well, almost every reply
    Not the replies that point out the demographics of the network's shows cancelled that year and new shows the next year don't even remotely support his assertion.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    It's funny how fast the second playthrough of From Software games are, once you know where you're going and how to fight enemies.

My first playthrough of Sekiro took a month, including the occasional use of a guide to make sure I didn't miss anything.

And then I started NG+ yesterday and got to the final boss a few hours later. Not worrying about prayer beads alone is such a game changer for the pace

• Options

Public Lands!

I would think that makes it even more important not to contaminate streams with feces.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

It's not very clear in the article, but I thought they implied that there are public toilets normally but that they're closed due to COVID.

Probably. Places here have "solved" that by bringing in port-o-potties. Which seems like it would mostly offload the risk to someone else, but I guess maybe those are normally treated as a biohazard by the responsible company anyways, so there's not really additional risk.

• Options

Public Lands!

I would think that makes it even more important not to contaminate streams with feces.

No! Don't contaminate streams!

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    iwAa1WL.jpg

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    It's funny how fast the second playthrough of From Software games are, once you know where you're going and how to fight enemies.

My first playthrough of Sekiro took a month, including the occasional use of a guide to make sure I didn't miss anything.

And then I started NG+ yesterday and got to the final boss a few hours later. Not worrying about prayer beads alone is such a game changer for the pace
    first time i died on my second playthrough of sekiro was when i fell out of the world at senpou temple

• Options
    I'm pretty sure animals like the taste of my pee

I've run many experiments

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

first time i died on my second playthrough of sekiro was when i fell out of the world at senpou temple

First time I died on my second playthrough was the tutorial before I got my sword and I used the wrong button for stealth

lol oops

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    my cat loves earwax

like, a lot

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Public Lands!

Cholera is a fine traditional illness with a long-established history, sir, and this newfangled clean drinking water business is an outrageous imposition on personal freedoms.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    not sure how antidepressants affect animals but if then the ones that drank my pee will be happier animals

• Options
    my cat loves earwax

like, a lot

umm

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    losing my commute (yay!) has meant that i haven't listened to a podcast in months : (

same, but for books

I’ve started eating breakfast/coffee outside so I have at least half an hour where I read outside

It’s helping a lot; maybe you can do something similar where you eat away from the computer so there is reading time

Hmmm, this is a good idea.

I usually go outside after 3 pm to work when all my meetings are done. I can read out there instead of messing around on my phone and still have my laptop available to answer any emails that come up.

If I had a porch/deck I would so do this in the morning with my daily stand up and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    anyway long story short i was radicalized by blue apron ads

The revolution is brought to you by SquareSpace

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    tyrannus wrote: »
    not sure how antidepressants affect animals but if then the ones that drank my pee will be happier animals

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cocaine-london-river-thames-water-research-kings-college-study-fish-high-drugs-a8738146.html

but alas

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »

Our bodies only use 10% of urine's true power

This discussion has been closed.