[D&D-5E] Eberron: Shadows of the Last War

2456725

Posts

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    OoC:Ah, I see. Consider my question regarding the nature of the clanking withdrawn.
    Am I able to tell if Cutter's axe is a weapon capable of inflicting the wounds on the body?

    Cutter's bloodied battle-axe would seem to match-up with your previous medical inspection.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    COMBAT BEGINS!!!!

    Gs8qYpo.png

    A reminder of how combat will look in this game:
    Zonugal wrote:
    -- The first is that combat rounds will happen "instantaneously." To save us the laborious time of having to go through everyone's combat actions in their initiative order, I am making each combat round happen "all-at-once" in a sense. What this will look like is prior to the beginning of the first round of combat (and then at the end of each subsequent round of combat), each character will put in their battle-commands. When all battle-commands have been put in, I will roll a new batch of initiative scores and play out everyone's battle-commands. What a sample battle-command might look like is:
    D&D Player wrote:
    Battle-Command: Krunk the Half-Orc Barbarian plans to swing his battle-axe at the skeleton in front of him (+5 atk; 1d10+3).
    Back-Up Battle-Command: Should the skeleton move away, Krunk will attack (if granted an opportunity attack). Should the skeleton still be standing, on Kunk's turn he will pursue the skeleton to attack or attack the closest hostile enemy near him (if the skeleton is destroyed or out of Krunk's combat reach for this turn).

    Everyone has the rest of the night to get their commands in. I'll roll initiative, as well as attack & damage, for each combatant (I'll just need accurate atk/dmg commands laid out in your individual battle-commands).

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    Gator hopped down from the railing, and strode between Owenn and the newcomer. "That sounded an awful lot like a threat, friend. What precisely will be 'set upon us.' No word games, tell us plainly."

    OOC Command: Move between Cutter and Owenn. Provoke a response; see if they're lying.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Insight

    Insight:
    1d20+5 22 [1d20=17]

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 29
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Gator hopped down from the railing, and strode between Owenn and the newcomer. "That sounded an awful lot like a threat, friend. What precisely will be 'set upon us.' No word games, tell us plainly."

    "Friend? How could I ever be friend with the likes of you? A freak among weak cattle? A friend with someone who would align with those who would have hunted you for the glory of the Silver Flame? FRIEND?!?!"

    Cutter's eyes, burning with such intensity, turned towards Faber. "It isn't too late, brother. Never too late to join our lord. He is generous to those who gift him. Gift him with the cracked skulls of these insects."

    Cutter's eyes shift back towards Gator. "Give me the journal or I'll bleed you dry like the old fool."
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OOC Command: Move between Cutter and Owenn. Provoke a response; see if they're lying.

    Getth, roll 1d20+5 for Insight

    Ain't no lying here.

    Insight:
    1d20+5 22 [1d20=17]

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 29
    Observing that she's likely killed one person already tonight and has the blood soaked evidence in hand, Faber has a fair idea of what may be set upon us. Being the pragmatic sort, I seek to do unto others before they can do me.
    OoC Command: Move to flank Cutter.
    Cast Inflict wounds.
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Inflicting Wounds
    Geth roll 3d10 for Wounds Inflicted

    Inflicting Wounds:
    1d20+5 19 [1d20=14]
    Wounds Inflicted:
    3d10 18 [3d10=7, 5, 6]

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 29
    @see317, you need to put all of that into battle commands, as we haven't established initiative yet.

    At this point, we are officially in combat.

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 29
    Sorry, @Zonugal .

    Observing that she's confessed to having killed one person already tonight and has the blood soaked evidence in hand, Faber has a fair idea of what may be set upon us. Being the pragmatic sort, he seeks to do unto others before they can do unto me.
    Initiative: 1d20
    Battle Command: Faber plans to move into melee range, and flank Cutter, casting Inflict Wounds (+5 to hit, 3d10 Necrotic damage).
    Backup Battle Command: Should Cutter move out of range, Faber will cast Sacred Flame on Cutter, requiring a DC 13 dex save or take 1d8 Radiant damage)

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited July 15
    Initiative: 1d20+3

    Battle Command: If Owenn goes before Cutter or if Cutter does not force their way to Owenn to retrieve the journal, Owenn will move east, putting as many of his compatriots between himself and Cutter as possible. He is expecting the journal to remain Cutter's priority, and is striving to give as many of his companions as possible free shots as the axe murderer moves past them. While moving east, he will draw his short bow, nock an arrow, and fire.

    Attack: 1d20+5
    Damage: 1d6+3 piercing, plus another 1d6 piercing damage if an ally is within 5 feet of Cutter.

    Backup Battle Command: If Cutter closes the distance with Owenn before Owenn can act, he will not risk the attack of opportunity. He will use the disengage action, moving in whatever straight line puts as many of his companions as possible along Cutter's pursuit path.

    Sneaks on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    edited June 29
    Gator shrugged and knocked an arrow. "You're outnumbered six to one. You sure you don't want to surrender? Could get pointless."

    Battle Command: In priority: #1 - Try to stay between Cutter and Owenn, #2 - Try to stay out of melee range.
    If Cutter attacks us, Gator will attack him. Attack with longbow if outside of melee, draw a short sword and attack with it if inside of melee.

    (( edit: do you want us to roll initiative? ))
    (( edit 2: forgot Gator can only draw one weapon at a time, revised action ))

    jdarksun on
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    (( edit: do you want us to roll initiative? ))

    I'll do initiative (as it'll change for every round of combat).

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    OoC: just to clarify, the papers that were under my feet, are they still? Or did someone grab them?

    BattleTech KS Thread! | Mech Trade List | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    OoC: just to clarify, the papers that were under my feet, are they still? Or did someone grab them?

    Owenn collected them.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Ho! Ho! Ho! Drink Coke!Registered User regular
    John stands up from examining the body and sizes up the menacing figure in front of them. He stretches his neck and rolls his shoulders and says "Seems to me, if you wanted the journal, you should have made sure you had it in hand before you cut the man down, eh? Unless you'd like to offer us some kind of finder's fee?" Holding his quarterstaff out parallel to his body, he spins it around slowly and makes ready to attack.

    Battle Command: Attack with quarterstaff, expending one superiority die to execute combat maneuver Distracting Strike.

    Roll 1d20+5 to hit, 1d6+3 for damage + 1d4 Superiority Die

    Bonus action: Unarmed Strike, 1d20+5 to hit, 1d4+3 for damage

  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pierce's mechanical eyes widen dramatically at Cutter's appearance. "A murderer among us? Be warned, knave - justice will prevail!"

    She draws her rapier with a practiced flourish in one hand.

    Battle Command: if Cutter comes within range of Pierce, she will attack with her rapier.

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    A wide grin emerges across Zed's face as his eyes move across his companions

    Initiative 1d20 + 2

    Battle Command:Zed moves as safely as possible to position himself between Cutter and Owenn, drawing his trident to help him parry the warforged's attacks (Dodge action)

    BattleTech KS Thread! | Mech Trade List | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 29
    The Bloody Bridge Combat Round #1

    Initiative Order
    #1. -- John (+3) [17]
    #2. -- Gator (+3) [16]
    #3. -- Faber (+0) [16]
    #4. -- Zed (+2) [15]
    #5. -- Owenn (+3) [12]
    #6. -- Cutter (+1) [9]
    #7. -- Pierce (+3) [5]

    "CUT-DOWN TO SIZE"

    John Merchant performs a dazzling flourish with his quarterstaff, striking their Warforged assailant in the head (11 dmg), knocking the crazed automaton senseless for a brief moment. Merchant follows up with a back-kick, which Cutter easily evades.

    Maintaining a short distance Gator manages to fashion his longbow but, perhaps it was fatigue from such a long night at the Broken Anvil, his arrow misses its intended target.

    In the distance residents of Sharn have been awoken by all the commotions and hurl shouts from nearby towers: “Hey, stop that!” “Call the Watch!” “Murder! They’re murdering that man!”

    Dodging a back-kick from that Half-Orc menace starts to fill Cutter's morale, which is only boosted with the ranged blunder from the "lesser-lycanthrope". Cutter grips her bloodied battle-axe, only to see a familiar figure enter her immediate proximity. Faber shouts some incantations, ancient words that are beyond anything Cutter has ever devoted time to learning. Cutter knew one cosmic truth: through purging the weak, the strong would live forever. Faber's hand erupts in a blue flame, before the Warforged Cleric punches his hand out to grasp Cutter's head.

    "Brother... Brother, they'll never le--" Before she finishes her final thought, Cutter's material body explodes in a scream of necromantic blue flames (22 dmg).

    Cutter's body falls loudly to the ground, burning with a heavy aroma of burnt wood & decay. Her hand clawing her bloodied battle-axe in a death-grip. Cutter's periapt, a cheap "golden" amulet, proceeds to shake itself out of its host before unfolding its tiny wings and launching itself into the air, flying away into the rain-filled night.

    FINAL COMBAT PLACEMENT

    jlMfezY.png

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Ho! Ho! Ho! Drink Coke!Registered User regular
    OoC: (Well, dang.)

    Zonugal
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Zed sighs heavily, lowering the hand the had been reaching for his trident, now scratching across his forehead.
    Zed: "Well, one good corpse deserves another, I suppose."

    Turning to Pierce with a nod toward the calls for the watch.
    Zed: "We're going to have incoming, probably not much time, and I'm not carrying two bodies. What's our move?"

    BattleTech KS Thread! | Mech Trade List | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited June 29
    Owenn let his grip on Geldam’s satchel loosen, and it hung from his shoulder as satchels are wont to do. He looked to John, Gator, and Faber. “Thanks.”

    He turned his attention to the towers overhead; he couldn’t make out the witnesses through the distance, dark, and downpour, but they’d made themselves known. “Hey!” he called up. “One of you lot did call the watch, right?!” The actual answer(s) didn’t really matter: the bridge was well lit, there were witnesses. And compounding all of this was the piece of the axe murderer that had flown the proverbial coop… The Mason’s Tower Detective Agency had a target on its back.

    “Anyone willing to let us wait out of this rain?! I promise we’ll all wipe our feet!”

    Owenn returned his attention to his compatriots; there were—not surprisingly—uneasy faces among them. “The way I see it, we can be easily identified. Fleeing the scene’d just make things worse. And the axe…” Owenn motioned to the newest corpse on the bridge. “The axe should match the wounds on Mr. Geldam. With that in mind, the rest of the truth starts to sound downright feasible. So, I’m going to wait. If any of you want to go, well, that doesn’t help,… but I get it.”

    He shifted uncomfortably. He wasn’t used to the truth looking like a better tool than a lie. ‘First time for everything,’ he thought. ‘And last.’

    Sneaks on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber mentally shifts his schedule for the evening to account for what should be a rather quick investigation by the watch into a case of obvious self defense. But, even so...
    Faber: And I was so looking forward to a good self lubrication this evening...

    OoC CommandFaber looks over Cutter's remains, checking to see if there is anything aside from the escaping jewelry that seems unusual, but avoiding direct interaction so as to preserve the scene as much as possible given the rain and the damage already done.
    Geth roll 1d20+1 for investigation

    investigation:
    1d20+1 7 [1d20=6]

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 29
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OOC: (( is this periapt a normal warforged thing? ))

    That'll be an Arcana check!
    Sneaks wrote: »
    “Anyone willing to let us wait out of this rain?! I promise we’ll all wipe our feet!”

    From a tower window Owenn hears, "WE ARE TRYING TO SLEEP!!!" before a window is slammed shut.
    see317 wrote: »
    OoC CommandFaber looks over Cutter's remains, checking to see if there is anything aside from the escaping jewelry that seems unusual, but avoiding direct interaction so as to preserve the scene as much as possible given the rain and the damage already done.

    Its faint but your eyes can trace a faint outline of a symbol lightly etched onto Cutter's chest.

    cJVeBUo.png

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Two males and a female, wearing the green-and-black studded leather of Sharn’s City Watch, emerge from the rain-drenched night. The leader, a powerfully built bald dwarf with a close-cropped beard, steps forward, leveling his light crossbow in your direction. The small ball of arcane light, hovering just above and behind his left shoulder, illuminates the area. To each side, a human male and female stand with light crossbows ready in their hand, and morningstars at their hips.

    XkEdx6u.png3kDDr0f.png?1KjfHAGr.png?1

    “Olladra’s bloody nose!” the dwarf curses. “By order of the Watch, drop your weapons and explain yourselves!”

    pqDc6Yc.png

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber holds his arms at his side for a second, and worries that might be seen as reaching for a weapon, extending his arms upward or out to the side may be seen as preparing to cast a spell, as would extending his arms towards the guardsmen directly, regardless of how peaceably it's done.
    Instead he settles for standing up straight, slowly crossing his arms over his chest, and resting his hands on his shoulders. As non-threatening a gesture as possible when one is a hulking six foot tall machine man built for war and who has just obliterated another sapient being with his bare hands.

    Beyond that, Faber is quiet, he knows his own shortcomings well enough to let another of the party try to explain why we are standing in the rain with two recently deceased corpses at our feet.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Ho! Ho! Ho! Drink Coke!Registered User regular
    John tossed his quarterstaff to the ground and half-heartedly raised his arms, palms facing the Watch agents.

    "Bloody Hell, you lot got here quick, didn't you?" He growled.

  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    Gator slowly dropped their bow, and made sure to stand clearly in the light of the lanterns with their hands far away from their weapons.

    OOC: Though Gator wondered to the nature of the thing that flew away from the fallen warforged...

    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Arcana

    Arcana:
    1d20+1 7 [1d20=6]

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Gator can't quite remember its name or function, but he knows it's a fairly uncommon magic item designed only for Warforged.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited June 29
    Thrusting her arms out wide, Pierce throws her blade to the side and calls, "Ah! Friends of the law! We should like to report a murder. And also, an unfortunate loss of life, in service of the greater good. For reference, the murder victim was that one," Pierce gestures at the axe-ravaged corpse, "and the murderer was that one!"

    Smiling at her compatriots, she says proudly, "Another case solved!"

    OOC: Pierce tosses her weapon to the side and greets the officers. Do I need to roll for this one? Maybe I'll find a way to score a 1 on Perception this time!

    Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Zed follows his teammates, stepping back from the cor-...the first corpse, moving next to Pierce and awaiting further instructions.

    BattleTech KS Thread! | Mech Trade List | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited June 29
    "Bloody Hell, you lot got here quick, didn't you?"
    ‘Any quicker and they might actually have been helpful,’ Owenn thought, unceremoniously dropping his bow.
    Cello wrote: »
    "Ah! Friends of the law! We should like to report a murder. And also, an unfortunate loss of life, in service of the greater good. For reference, the murder victim was that one," Pierce gestured at the axe-ravaged corpse, "and the murderer was that one!"

    Smiling at her compatriots, she said proudly, "Another case solved!"
    Pierce had an uncanny gift for making the truth seem ridiculous. In its way, Owenn had to admit that it made her a more enthralling storyteller… but he doubted the receptiveness of her current audience. He showed his empty palms as he stood on the other side of Pierce from Zed.

    “A few minutes ago we happened upon the victim.” Owenn jerked his head to his left, indicating Geldam. “While trying to determine who he was, we were set upon by that one, with the axe, claiming that he’d kill us just as he’d killed the victim. We defended ourselves. Loudly.”

    The rain was making everyone—warforged excepted—squint and scrunch their faces slightly. It made the Watch difficult to get a read on. “I don’t suppose we could continue this conversation somewhere dry?”

    Geth roll 1d20+5 Persuasion

    Persuasion:
    1d20+5 22 [1d20=17]

    Sneaks on
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    OOC: Pierce tosses her weapon to the side and greets the officers. Do I need to roll for this one? Maybe I'll find a way to score a 1 on Perception this time!

    Persuasion, @Cello.

    Persuasion

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    OOC: Pierce tosses her weapon to the side and greets the officers. Do I need to roll for this one? Maybe I'll find a way to score a 1 on Perception this time!

    Persuasion, @Cello.

    Persuasion

    Rolling persuasion for that check:

    Geth roll 1d20+4

    1d20+4 8 [1d20=4]

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    SneaksZonugal
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    OOC: COME ON

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    ZonugalCentipede Damascus
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    AHAHAHAHA

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    jdarksunCelloSneakssee317
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 29
    Pierce walks forward towards the City Watch.

    "Stop! Stop right now!" they scream at her.

    And Pierce responds with something akin to, "Late is the hour of your arrival but fear not, we humble citizens have secured the scene. With such valor and vigor we defended ourselves from a horrid fiend, while I can only presume you were finishing a coffee break. As you can so clearly see, only one of the two murdered victims were killed by our hands. You are welcome for us saving you the hassle. Ask any of the local residents who were screaming at us, they'll collaborate! What we're really getting at is, when you think of it, we did your job here. So, perhaps a reward is due? Eh, Sergeant Johnny Come Lately?"

    So...









    You all end up behind bars in a City Watch holding cell somewhere in Sharn.

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    see317Centipede DamascusjdarksunCello
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    With a quiet, slow, glance towards Pierce from their shared, and quite crowded, cell.
    Faber: I'm glad I decided to keep my mouth shut.

    OoC: Is it too late for the guard to listen to Owenn instead?

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    edited June 29
    Gator hopped up on the top bunk, and settled back against the wall. They gave Faber a toothy grin. "First time?"

    OOC: Gator looks around for anybody they might know.

    jdarksun on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Leaning his head back against the wall from where he's sitting, Faber angles it in a generally Gator-ward direction.
    "Nope, I've tried my best to avoid coming to the official notice of the Guard prior to tonight. tried to stick out of official notice in general. Perhaps I should have stuck to that general order of discretion and beat that strange warforged with a stick instead...
    Any of you notice the weird sigil she had engraved on her chest? Like a bladed gauntlet or armored claw? Stuck out to me for some reason, but by then it was too late to ask questions about personal decoration."

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Ho! Ho! Ho! Drink Coke!Registered User regular
    Near the back of the holding cell, John was facing towards the wall, engaging in some shadow boxing.

    "Seems odd for a one engaged in a sort of covert action like that to be wearing a badge of some sort, don't it?"

  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    OOC: What's the check to try and figure out what that bladed gauntlet insignia is for?

Sign In or Register to comment.