As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Take care. Listen to health authorities.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Even after dark its not that bad.

The places I was specifically warned about pretty much were interestingly enough were all around the Sky Train stations.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    The Supreme Court of Canada just gave Uber a nice black eye on their ridiculous arbitration policies.

Turns out requiring drivers to spend most of their annual income traveling to another continent to handle disputes when the company arbitrarily changes its compensation policy doesn't go over well with the judiciary?

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    The Supreme Court of Canada just gave Uber a nice black eye on their ridiculous arbitration policies.

Turns out requiring drivers to spend most of their annual income traveling to another continent to handle disputes when the company arbitrarily changes its compensation policy doesn't go over well with the judiciary?

I was reading this at work today and was particularly amused by the following passage:
    [49] We observe, incidentally, that departing from the general rule of arbitral referral in these circumstances has beneficial consequences. It will prevent contractual drafters from evading the result of this case through a choice of law clause. A choice of law clause could convert a jurisdictional question that would be one of law (and which therefore could be decided by the court) into a question as to the content of foreign law, which would require hearing evidence in order to make findings as to the content of foreign law, something that one would not ordinarily contemplate in a superficial review of the record.

[50] This is a significant loophole for contractual drafters to exploit. Indeed, Uber’s contract here includes a foreign choice of law clause. As the intervener Canadian Federation of Independent Business (“CFIB”) submitted, this Court should presume that Dutch law governs the question of whether the arbitration agreement is unconscionable because the contracts have a choice of law clause indicating Dutch law...Neither party, however, chose to lead evidence of Dutch unconscionability law. Since the parties chose not to lead evidence of Dutch law, this Court must address the issue of unconscionability according to Ontario law. If Uber had adduced evidence of Dutch law, then under the two exceptions to arbitral referral recognized in Dell, this Court would have had to grant the stay in favour of an arbitrator determining the unconscionability argument.

Paraphrasing: Hey, so since you guys didn't give us any evidence that Dutch law has an analogous unconscionability doctrine in their law, we're going to have to default to using Ontario law. If you had, we would have ruled in favour of letting the arbitrator make the decision, since it wouldn't be a superficial undertaking anymore.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    That's probably my favorite Beverton headline of the last year.

Kenney has no words of his own.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Reminds me of Dominic Cummings getting defended by BoJo in England. Maybe the speechwriter knows where the bodies are buried, and it's already an incredibly volatile time, so they don't need that right now.

• Options
    It's the UCP, so the most likely explanation is that the party isn't firing Bunner because they're in complete agreement with him on his views.

• Options
    It's the UCP, so the most likely explanation is that the party isn't firing Bunner because they're in complete agreement with him on his views.

The UCP is also adopting the current American political stance of never admit fault or error ever under any circumstance.

• Options
    Sure, but they also sincerely believe Bunner's right about this stuff and that there's no error to either admit or refuse-to-admit.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/kenney-economic-reboot-announcement-1.5631088

Premier Jason Kenney said his government would spend $10 billion on projects that will immediately create jobs, including pipelines, health-care facilities, pipelines, schools, drug treatment centres and more.

Hedley Lamarr - "You said pipelines twice"

Jason Kenney - "I like Pipelines"

(not sure if he actually said pipelines twice, that is just what is written in the article)

Health-Care Facilities and Schools staffed by what.. Mannequins?

In addition to the spending, Kenney also said his government would speed up the implementation of corporate tax cuts, slashing the rate from 10 per cent to 8 per cent starting on July 1.

Yup.. lets rush those cuts in, its not like Alberta has a revenue problem at all.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    tax cuts go brrr

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

The UCP is also adopting the current American political stance of never admit fault or error ever under any circumstance.

Cause it works. Sadly.

• Options
    darkmayo wrote: »
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/kenney-economic-reboot-announcement-1.5631088

Premier Jason Kenney said his government would spend $10 billion on projects that will immediately create jobs, including pipelines, health-care facilities, pipelines, schools, drug treatment centres and more.

(not sure if he actually said pipelines twice, that is just what is written in the article)

In addition to the spending, Kenney also said his government would speed up the implementation of corporate tax cuts, slashing the rate from 10 per cent to 8 per cent starting on July 1.

Yup.. lets rush those cuts in, its not like Alberta has a revenue problem at all.

We already have the lowest corporate taxes in Canada fyi.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

With how the UCP keep dishing em out you would think corporations were being crushed under the oppressive yolk of taxes.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ShadowBladeShadowBlade Registered User regular
    Doug Ford: (In the same video. One comment proceeding the other. And repeated...) We need less red tape! Less regulations! Also, the towing industry needs MOAR REGULATIONS! MOAR RED TAPE! Because without it is is full of criminals!

You could not write this for a terrible sitcom...

This world needs a new philosophy. No more, "Could be worse..." I say SHOULD BE BETTER!
  • Options

With how the UCP keep dishing em out you would think corporations were being crushed under the oppressive yolk of taxes.

I mean.... What else can it be? :?

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

I mean.... What else can it be? :?

A wealth transfer from public to private?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Kelowna still a garbage heap if anyone wondering.

CW: police violence

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Is this the one that was in the news a few weeks ago or is it another one?

• Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »

New one if you mean the wellness check incident

• Options

There was another one I thought I remembered of police attacking a person in a parking lot a few weeks back. It happened shortly after all the protests started.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

There was another one I thought I remembered of police attacking a person in a parking lot a few weeks back. It happened shortly after all the protests started.
    That was Edmonton iirc

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    I think this might be the same one as the one in the news at the start of the month.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1746157635971

• Options
    I think this might be the same one as the one in the news at the start of the month.

Hmm ya does look like it, maybe re-front pages on my local site because of new footage/angle?

Either way the comment from the supt is still gross

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    He's a liberal MLA, I expect that he will resign in the next couple of days unless this blows over quickly... it won't, also eww gross.

Handkor on
  • Options

Hmm ya does look like it, maybe re-front pages on my local site because of new footage/angle?

Either way the comment from the supt is still gross

The fact that we had to go back and forth to figure out which of the recent events of police brutality is a rather nice summary of the basic problem, isn't it?

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Happy Canada Day everyone

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    My house just got buzzed by the Lancaster bomber that they still fly out of Hamilton. What a beauty.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/mR2KQghqGW8

So many good Canadian bands these days.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    So I guess Rideau Hall, where both the PM and GG normally live, had an active Canadian Ranger from Manitoba breach the front entrance in a truck. He then exited the damaged vehicle armed with a long gun before being surrounded by RCMP and giving himself up this morning. Apparently both PM and GG were off the property at the time.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/police-opeation-rideau-hall-1.5634749

Scary stuff.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    So I guess Rideau Hall, where both the PM and GG normally live, had an active Canadian Ranger from Manitoba breach the front entrance in a truck. He then exited the damaged vehicle armed with a long gun before being surrounded by RCMP and giving himself up this morning. Apparently both PM and GG were off the property at the time.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/police-opeation-rideau-hall-1.5634749

Scary stuff.

Based on how it turned out, it appears this was far less scary for the RCMP than performing wellness checks on people of colour

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

That's not the RCMP. That's a municipal police force working with mental health professionals.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Nova Scotia's no longer thinking about turning US tourists away at the provincial border, so long as they super-duper pinky swear they're actually not US tourists but NS residents and are totally planning to quarantine for two weeks upon arriving at their other other summer cottages along the south shore.

There are not enough obscenities for my reaction..

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    We have an extradition treaty with Hong Kong.

In response to the new law, it's being suspended.
    Foreign Affairs Minister François-Philippe Champagne issued a statement on Friday expressing “serious concern” at the passage of that legislation, the wording of which was concealed until after Beijing’s rubber-stamp legislature approved the new law.

He also said the government will remove special trade treatments for sensitive exports to Hong Kong and subject any such exports to the same treatment as if bound for mainland China.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Good

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Nova Scotia's no longer thinking about turning US tourists away at the provincial border, so long as they super-duper pinky swear they're actually not US tourists but NS residents and are totally planning to quarantine for two weeks upon arriving at their other other summer cottages along the south shore.

There are not enough obscenities for my reaction..
    Earlier this week a friend was telling me that someone they knew had gone to dinner with a few friends, and one of those people had brought a pal who had just arrived from Ontario the same day. We're fucked no matter how we slice it. Collectively, enough people are just too selfish.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I'm just going to go out on a limb here and suggest that if you, your wife, and your mother have attended numerous events with a charity, and host a podcast for said charity, that a potential conflict of interest MIGHT EXIST if said company is then tasked with overseeing a nearly billion dollar government program in the midst of a fucking pandemic.

Somebody please fire the entire political advisory team for Trudeau. Or hire one.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12