As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Harley Quinn:
    Gotta be honest, if it weren't for the fact that Harley and Kiteman don't get along (and obviously Harley's kiss being True Love), I think it'd be funnier if they just got to the end of the finale's love triangle drama and decided, fucked it, we're poly.

It's reminiscent of the Monarch from Venture Bros: "So we had a drunken threesome... join the fucking club. We're villains you crybaby. We swing! I watched my wife **** Manta Claus' **** and then make him breakfast."
    "Is that true?"
    "Eggs and buttered toast."
    Harley is actually learning to see the good side of Kiteman, and to understand what Ivy sees in him. She definitely didn't like or respect him in season 1, but after the flame-thrower-heist that's been changing. So the poly thing is on the table. It would certainly fit with the more adult take of the show.

sig.gif
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Harley Quinn:
    Gotta be honest, if it weren't for the fact that Harley and Kiteman don't get along (and obviously Harley's kiss being True Love), I think it'd be funnier if they just got to the end of the finale's love triangle drama and decided, fucked it, we're poly.

It's reminiscent of the Monarch from Venture Bros: "So we had a drunken threesome... join the fucking club. We're villains you crybaby. We swing! I watched my wife **** Manta Claus' **** and then make him breakfast."
    "Is that true?"
    No reason they couldn't. Poly doesn't mean that they have to be a threesome. Harley and Kite can remain separate lovers of Ivy.

I'll admit I'm not that knowledgeable about cultural polygamy, but I don't think that Mormon or Arabic polygamy require or even allow the multiple wives to engage with each other.

So, Ivy is the head of the "household". And shares time with each of them as she sees fit.

But I expect someone is going to get hurt. Given we've alreasy run this scenario already this season, I figure it's going to be KiteMan who goes full villain next season.

But, like the Good Place, the show hasn't fallen into *insert obvious trope* mode, so I'm optimistic that it'll hit the trifecta of surprising me, still being good (and funny) and making sense.

MorganV wrote: »
    Harley Quinn:

"Is that true?"
    No reason they couldn't. Poly doesn't mean that they have to be a threesome. Harley and Kite can remain separate lovers of Ivy.

I'll admit I'm not that knowledgeable about cultural polygamy, but I don't think that Mormon or Arabic polygamy require or even allow the multiple wives to engage with each other.

So, Ivy is the head of the "household". And shares time with each of them as she sees fit.

But I expect someone is going to get hurt. Given we've alreasy run this scenario already this season, I figure it's going to be KiteMan who goes full villain next season.

But, like the Good Place, the show hasn't fallen into *insert obvious trope* mode, so I'm optimistic that it'll hit the trifecta of surprising me, still being good (and funny) and making sense.
    Oh yeah, Kiteman is definitely getting hurt. Just from the way he found out... having a super-villain telepathically broadcast images of your fiancée having sex with someone else to the entire city is not a doorway to a poly relationship. It's a relationship ender.

sig.gif
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Harley Quinn:

"Is that true?"

Oh yeah, Kiteman is definitely getting hurt. Just from the way he found out... having a super-villain telepathically broadcast images of your fiancée having sex with someone else to the entire city is not a doorway to a poly relationship. It's a relationship ender.

WTF is this show.
    I feel bad for Kiteman? How did this happen?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Harley Quinn:

"Is that true?"

WTF is this show.

"There no bad characters, only bad writers" has never had a better demonstration.

sig.gif
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Harley Quinn:

"Is that true?"
    Harley's kiss wasn't true love™. Or at least not necessarily. The writers sidestepped that solution rather cleverly, presumably because it would have been a bit sappy. Harley's lesbian kiss was actually just too erotically stimulating for Dr. Psycho so he backed out of Ivy's mind long enough for her to get the mind control blocking doohickey into Ivy.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Harley Quinn:

"Is that true?"
    Harley's kiss wasn't true love™. Or at least not necessarily. The writers sidestepped that solution rather cleverly, presumably because it would have been a bit sappy. Harley's lesbian kiss was actually just too erotically stimulating for Dr. Psycho so he backed out of Ivy's mind long enough for her to get the mind control blocking doohickey into Ivy.
    Don't even have to go there. The doohickey might just work over enough distance, like a few inches, that if you're currently snogging somebody wearing one then you get protected to.

Nicely ambiguous.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The kiss got an anime background which is why I took the read that it was True Love.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Harley Quinn:

"Is that true?"

WTF is this show.

"There no bad characters, only bad writers" has never had a better demonstration.

Hell Yeah

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Speaking of
    anime backgrounds

I laughed way too hard at
    Deidrich Bader’s delivery of

“Wonder Woman ... you look bangin’!”

Joolander on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The first Injustice game is free to download on Steam for the next few days. It's a bad console port that flips out during stage transitions but free is free.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Superman calling Wonder Woman a racist set off the giggles.
    The irony of that whole exchange is that Parademons are from Apokolips which, as I detailed in this post, is a sort of demonic dimension on a similar level to Hell or the Greek Underworld.

So Wonder Woman, as a demigod, would be more closely related to a parademon than Superman would.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Think my favorite line from the episode

S2E12
    DARKSEID IS.....leaving

Also, super happy Bane's alive after the Pit

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Harley Quinn:

"Is that true?"

Having been in long-term poly relationships: it doesn't really lend itself well to a cartoon. I mean, the writers could surprise the fuck out of me but I don't really see it happening.
    Kiteman and Harley are both clearly far too insecure to function well in a poly relationship. You have to be pretty self-assured and secure in your confidence about your relationship with the person or people in the group who have multiple relationships.

Now, I could totally see them doing a realistic failed poly relationship, where they agree to give it a try but it doesn't work out because neither Kiteman nor Harley really want to be in a thruple and Harley gets hurt by Ivy being domestic with Kiteman and Kiteman getting hurt by Ivy having wild sexytimes with Harley.

I'll give the show credit, though, for being the first time I can recall rooting for both legs of a love triangle.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, remember when WB said that a bunch of DC movies would leave HBO Max for no apparent reason? Well, they walked that back... for some of the DC films. The original four Batman films, Catwoman, Jonah Hex, and something called The Losers are still leaving.

The whole HBO Max thing has just been a dumpster fire of confusion.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Since i didn’t see anyone mention it, can I just say how great it is that in the Harley Quinn show they got back Michael Ironside to voice Darkseid?

DARKSEID IS ... Michael Ironside

Joolander wrote: »
    Since i didn’t see anyone mention it, can I just say how great it is that in the Harley Quinn show they got back Michael Ironside to voice Darkseid?

DARKSEID IS ... Michael Ironside

Which is awesome, but he's still only the second best voice of Darkseid.

https://youtu.be/KykmB5fJxmI

DOOOOOOM PATROL!

First three eps have dropped on DC Universe and HBO Max! Then weekly for the rest of the run, which is apparently only 9 eps (so 6 after this initial three).

*goes and grabs some popcorn*

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Saw the season finale for Harley quinn and I gotta say: not a fan.
    Like I get it: they wanted to do a thing with lesbians and how these two were meant to be, But Kiteman and Ivy was clearly a thing that was building all through season 1 and into season 2 wheras harley's journey into physical attraction to Ivy only seems to have started around half way through. Really just leaves a bad taste in my mouth with a series that has overall just been tons of fun otherwise. :(

Gaddez wrote: »
    Like I get it: they wanted to do a thing with lesbians and how these two were meant to be, But Kiteman and Ivy was clearly a thing that was building all through season 1 and into season 2 wheras harley's journey into physical attraction to Ivy only seems to have started around half way through. Really just leaves a bad taste in my mouth with a series that has overall just been tons of fun otherwise. :(

Did seem a little forced.

Also...
    I get it's a cartoon, and I get that it was probably written months ago, but Gordon telling TwoFace "I got into public service to shoot bad guys, allowing for the accidental shooting of an innocent because noone's perfect" was more than a little tone deaf given our current reality.

It's still a good show, but it definitely didn't pull off the quality finish I was hoping for.

I agree.
    Kiteman's change of heart was way too sudden and out of nowhere. The realization that he and Ivy don't belong together is something that should have taken him all of season 3 to realize, as the dream suburban life he tries to build for them falls apart. It should have been built to and had impact. Instead they just crammed it in the final five minutes of the finale.

BTW, anyone knows if this has been picked up for season 2?

sig.gif
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The biggest crime of that episode is having Bane in it and not having him say anything.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Definitely a case of having an image in mind for the end of the season and realizing they had only 1 episode to get it to happen.
    Could've had Kite Man expressing more doubts about Ivy over the course of the season, instead he was mostly his chill self up until this last episode.

Maybe it's cause they weren't sure about season renewal and wanted to get their arc in just in case?

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    They definitely wrote this with the assumption that they might not get to make any more, the 'The End?' made that clear.

I'd rather a rushed ending than a 'to be continued' that might never get continued.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »
    They definitely wrote this with the assumption that they might not get to make any more, the 'The End?' made that clear.

I'd rather a rushed ending than a 'to be continued' that might never get continued.

I'd rather a coherent arc as opposed to what feels like a cynical "diversity!" arc was shoe horned in halfway through the second season.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

I'd rather a coherent arc as opposed to what feels like a cynical "diversity!" arc was shoe horned in halfway through the second season.

I'd rather the ending be Terry McGinnis pops out of a VR rig and says, "That's enough fanViding for today."
    FADE TO BLACK.

It was still coherent, though? It was rushed, and I get the feeling that they might have planned this out for three seasons. Then they asked while they were working on two, and were told that they couldn't be guaranteed a third season. So you either make sure you tell the story you want to tell, or don't.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Also Kiteman sucks.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Considering "Will Ivy and Harley get together during the show?" Is probably a question asked since pitch, I don't know how cynical it is?

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Considering "Will Ivy and Harley get together during the show?" Is probably a question asked since pitch, I don't know how cynical it is?

They set up Ivy and Chuck not being compatible during, like, the entire two season run so far. This wasn’t a hard turn, this was built in from the outset.

Also, “cynical diversity arc?” Like bisexual/pansexual people and their relationships are just tokens getting in the way of all the amazing Kiteman content? Like Harley and Ivy haven’t been a couple for the last decade in comics?

What the goddamn shit.

HBO Max announced in an e-newsletter that Harley Quinn's coming to HBO Max soon. Maybe this really is the end for DC Universe.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    This just shows why having a million different streaming apps is stupid and confusing for consumers, and shows WB/HBO have no idea how to handle their properties

Local H Jay on
    Atomika wrote: »

They set up Ivy and Chuck not being compatible during, like, the entire two season run so far. This wasn’t a hard turn, this was built in from the outset.

Built up to us the viewer, yes. Kiteman was very much blinded by love to these problems until five minutes before the credits he suddenly realized them and did a 180. Ivy faced these problems and resolved to marry Kiteman in the bachelorette episode, and fought until the last minute to marry him, then in the final sixty seconds was perfectly happy driving off into the sunset with Harley. Neither of these two decisions were setup at all. Both characters made sudden hard turns.

sig.gif

It was still coherent, though? It was rushed, and I get the feeling that they might have planned this out for three seasons. Then they asked while they were working on two, and were told that they couldn't be guaranteed a third season. So you either make sure you tell the story you want to tell, or don't.

If you don't have the time to tell the story properly then don't tell it imho; Too often franchises try to rush content and it *never* works out.
    Also Kiteman sucks.

And that was the charm of him; he was always in constume, never presented as being a credible villain and yet he had managed to hook up with arguably batman's most powerful nemesis. He's the underdog we are programmed to root for.

1. There is nothing to suggest that either of these two characters are anything other then straight during the entire first season, nor that their feelings go beyond friendship.
    2. Given that Kiteman has a relationship with her from basically episode 3 onwards it's pretty clear that the question was answered.

Also, “cynical diversity arc?” Like bisexual/pansexual people and their relationships are just tokens getting in the way of all the amazing Kiteman content? Like Harley and Ivy haven’t been a couple for the last decade in comics?

What the goddamn shit.

No, they set them up as being an odd couple with a deepening relationship throughout the first season and going into the second; time and again we see Ivy and Chuck dealing with their insecurities and standing up to their respective opponents.

And yeah: when it just sort of comes out of the blue that Harley's been in love with her this whole time and triggers an awakening in Ivy like halfway through the second season it feels like someone somewhere said "Hey you know what would be cool? If we had them come out of the closet!"

If you don't have the time to tell the story properly then don't tell it imho; Too often franchises try to rush content and it *never* works out.

As opposed to the ones that get cancelled with more story to tell working out great?

So no-one should ever try to tell a story unless they can get an initial full guarantee of the number of episodes they want for it?

As opposed to the ones that get cancelled with more story to tell working out great?

So no-one should ever try to tell a story unless they can get an initial full guarantee of the number of episodes they want for it?

The solution is to work with the time that you have and tell the most complete story possible. If there isn't enough time to do it right you leave it out.

"Perfection is not achieved when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Unrelated, but the season finale was the first time I noticed that Kite Man's name is Charlie Brown.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    The point is that they don't know how much time they have.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular

I mean, do any of us?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.

So if the goal was to have Harley and Ivy in a relationship why the hell did they even have a character arc with kiteman in the first place? Why not just have him as a quirky Ex that Ivy had? Why the insipid "come out of the closet" arc when it's 2020 and nobody cares anymore about who you're in a relationship with if it passes the harkness test?

Or is it that mayby, just maybe this is some bad writing marring an otherwise great series?

This discussion has been closed.