As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Your [job] is to hand me that report from a safe distance

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I have found that changing pitch is more to do with how you squeeze your cheeks during the expulsion.

Remember to make sure your throat pouch is properly inflated.

Also, people seem to think it's heat that lets you hit the high notes, but in reality an ice cube applied to the taint will get your pitch higher than a red-hot poker in the same spot.

do you speak from experience chris

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Chris loves a good seared taint.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Who doesn't?

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Everyone has a lane (or lanes) they are comfortable singing in. My lane is the equivalent to a slot car.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Chris loves a good seared taint.

It's important to seal the juices in before eating it.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Ewwwwww

Children's rights are human rights.
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Seared Taint over greens with a garlic bechamel sauce, a classic dish served only in the best gourmet restaurants.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Alexa, how do I undo the internet?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    It's like I'm right back at the GodAwful Fanfiction Forums.

Somebody pass me the brain bleach.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I don't even think 4 is possible based on how human vocal chords and folds work. Apparently a lot of these "six octave" claims involve whistling, which doesn't utilize vocal chords at all.

Four is well possible if you’re a baritone with a decent countertenor. Harder to get that range for a woman, usually, though.

Oh, I guess I hadn't thought about starting from the low end of the spectrum. Yeah I buy this.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    These days I'm a big fan of a sous vide taint finished with a reverse sear.

The whole team is in today because we were told Friday that FedEx would be delivering 400ish boxes of returned computers today. It takes the 6 of us about an hour to process 30-40 boxes.

FedEx hasn't arrived yet. They usually arrive by 11, but the loading dock is still all quiet. It's almost 1pm now.

I'm getting paid to sit here and wait.

Steam
  • HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Not to derail the discussion of taints and octaves but I got a new job and I'm starting tomorrow! I'm gonna be working in a deli at a local supermarket slicin' up meats (don't think we sell taint thought).

I've been furloughed from my other job since late March/early April, so it feels weird going to work after such a long time stuck inside, but I'm happy to finally get some income again

vEaRQgH.png
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Tox wrote: »
    I will further note that if you actually go by frequencies, most labeled/defined pitches are slightly off. This is because the way we measure musical distance in relative terms (octaves, fifths, fourths, etc) is very much not perfect and creates all sorts of really nasty ugly problems the further you stray from the most intended use of the system in question.

Things like Just Intonation and the like are various systems developed to map and divide frequencies. It's actually ... well, really fucky.

Youtubers Adam Neely and 12tone both have videos where they talk about these sorts of things. Adam Neely is a bassist and someone I highly recommend if you enjoy music theory and jazz and composition from someone who is both formally educated and also smart enough to seek outside ideas (he talks a lot about non-western traditions in music and tuning). 12tone is similarly very highly educated and talks a whole lot about music theory in general, specifically as a tool to analyze and describe music and how we use it, and he has lots of videos where he analyzes various songs in popular media and shows how the compositional choices they made can be described to help reinforce the stories being told by those songs. He tends toward the descriptivist approach, and hates things the concept of musical rules which must be followed.

e: if you're especially nerdy about math and music look up 12tones videos about commas.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8syA7S_5E3A

Pitch and tuning are fascinating once you get into the weeds! In ye olden days, keyboard instruments would be tuned to play well in a particular key. So if your harpsichord is tuned to play in C, it would sound perfect (to contemporary ears) in C, okay-ish in G and F (a fifth interval above and below C, respectively, which preserves most of the mathematical relationships of the notes in C), and increasingly bad the further away from C you get. This meant that choosing a key to write your new composition in also meant choosing what degree of dissonance listeners would hear.

Then someone had the brilliant idea of averaging out the tuning so that keyboard instruments would sound equally good (or bad) in all keys. This is the standard tuning that persists today, and it means that any music you hear played on a piano is ever-so-slightly out of tune. A keyboard tuned to play in a particular key sounds oddly bright to modern ears.

But while keyboard instruments are a pain to tune (and also slightly risky - piano wire under tension is no joke), most other instruments get tuned every time you play, at minimum. Every musician in an orchestra adjusts their tuning over the course of a performance as the ambient temperature and humidity change onstage. Players of both wind and stringed instruments can bend their intonation on any individual note - stringed instruments, by adjusting finger position; wind instruments, by adjusting throat and tongue position and/or partially covering holes/opening valves/etc. Part of learning to master any instrument is learning to compensate for its particular quirks - both as a class (open G tends to be sharp on all Bb soprano clarinets, for a random example) and as an individual instrument.

When playing in a group, musicians constantly adjust their own tuning to the group. If they're playing a piano concerto, then they tune to the piano, because the piano can't adjust. But if they're not, they play in the "true" key - not the compromise tuning keyboards use. That means that every individual needs to know what part they're playing at any given time (melody or harmony) and adjust accordingly. For example, if you're currently playing the third (middle note) in a major chord, you bend the note ever so slightly sharp of what you'd hear on a piano. Generally, everyone adjusts to the bass notes because they're more stable (lower notes played on bigger instruments take more effort to bend, for better and worse). Heaven help the tuba player who's consistently flat, though.

Percussion instruments can mostly ignore all of this because they don't have or need precise pitch. Tympani/kettle drums do have pitch, but can adjust on the fly. Keyboard percussion, though - marimbas, xylophones, bells - can't. So if you listen closely to a professional orchestra or wind ensemble, even if everything else is perfect, the keyboard percussion is almost always slightly out of tune.

/nerd

Calica on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Tomorrow is my last day of work for 9 weeks. Or I might just never go back to this job. I think that makes it Fridax Prime or something?

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    Not to derail the discussion of taints and octaves but I got a new job and I'm starting tomorrow! I'm gonna be working in a deli at a local supermarket slicin' up meats (don't think we sell taint thought).

I've been furloughed from my other job since late March/early April, so it feels weird going to work after such a long time stuck inside, but I'm happy to finally get some income again

Neat! Just remember, the deli slicer can be a powerful ally, but it will never, ever be your friend.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Yeah, be careful and vigilant with that thing. IIRC most grocery store injuries come from the slicers.

FedEx is here!

They have 20 boxes.

Steam
  • HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Neat! Just remember, the deli slicer can be a powerful ally, but it will never, ever be your friend.

:cry:

vEaRQgH.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

:cry:

Good thing that I recall from working deli, if they don't provide them, get a pair of cut resistant gloves, they help. Also get just a few slices of meats you want to try and make your own sandwich. I kept bread and some non-perishable fixins in my locker and made delicious sandwiches fresh on the daily

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    All my classes are online now, but I used to physically go to this campus years ago. Since then it's been the site of so many mass shooting events I'll never go back there if I can help it.

Anyway I have no idea what's going on, but I got this text a few seconds ago:

Edit: Ok, this seems to be about this - https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2020/06/29/dallas-police-responding-to-report-of-active-shooter-downtown/

JFC downtown Dallas is scary.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Alright new job report

Started a little late, since I was waiting for the IT guy to set me up with the remote system. But thankfully once he did set me up it was like 10 minutes to get going.

Did the initial new hire stuff, the previous scheduler (who was just filling in) is going to be copying me on scheduling emails so I can get a sense of how to do it, on which I have been copied... on one so far. After going over the paperwork they told me to basically just futz around in the system to see how things work. So... It’s kinda slow right now.

FedEx is here!

They have 20 boxes.
    expendable wrote: »
    FedEx is here!

They have 20 boxes.

I am now home for the day and off tomorrow. Unless 400 boxes show up tomorrow, then I'm going in.

Steam
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    FedEx is here!

They have 20 boxes.
    FedEx is here!

They have 20 boxes.

I am now home for the day and off tomorrow. Unless 400 boxes show up tomorrow, then I'm going in.

Are these coming in from disparate sources or is it centralized enough to be palletized?

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    edited June 2020
    FedEx is here!

They have 20 boxes.
    FedEx is here!

They have 20 boxes.

Are these coming in from disparate sources or is it centralized enough to be palletized?

Disparate sources.

In a nutshell, a family lets us know in at least one of a variety of ways that they will not be with our district in the fall but they have one or more of our devices. We send them an empty box with packing materials, a return label, and instructions, they put a device and charger in the box, put the return label on and send it back. We only know the 400 bit because the driver on Friday told our warehouse dock guys about it.

Despite explicit instructions not to send us broken devices that need to be fixed and replaced and to wait until the Fall and coordinate that with their school, it turned into us also sending back replacement devices to those that need them. So that exploded the amount of stuff we're getting back and we haven't even really figured out a process for checking a device out to a student and mailing it to them yet. And none of that should matter because the district just announced 100% in-building instruction for the fall.

:rotate:

expendable on
    Steam
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Cambiata wrote: »
    All this talk about octaves is interesting! I got my degree in music but I don't ever remember talk about what ranges are possible with the human voice... probably because I wasn't a vocalist so it didn't really matter to me, but I did have to take several sigh-singing courses as a part of my major, you would have thought someone would mention it.

I would have guessed it true that Mariah Carey had 6 octaves or more, but I didn't consider that the lower range is what you would need to have a range that extended and she does not have the low range. Given that, I guess it does make sense that she only has a 4 octave range. It is a little hard for me to believe that Axl Rose can get as high as Mariah Carey, though, so I also am in doubt that he has more range than her. Does someone test these things, or do we just go on what the artist says their highest and lowest note are?

Observationally measured, I believe.

Note that it makes no claim about power or projection or the ability to hold the note comfortably, so some of these are just the furthest extents of what people can do weakly, and certainly is only one factor in what makes up a talented vocal artist.

Like, Freddy Mercury had less measured range than the front runners, but has massive lungs and the ability to transition from one extreme of his range to the other effortlessly with serious power throughout, for which he is rightly lauded as one of the greatest vocalists of the last century. There's a lot more to being a talented vocalist than just what notes you can hit, but also how you hit them.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Recruiter calls my phone three times (I don't answer any of the times), sends me a message through linkedin, sends me an email and sends me a text. I don't even qualify for the fucking job, and I wouldn't want to pursue a position with Mary Kay anyway, slow your roll lady.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Mary Kay is just a very thinly-veiled pyramid scheme anyway.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I did it, I fucking did it, I can't talk about what I did and it was way harder than it should have been but I did a thing and it worked so now I'm gonna go write the bones of a paper draft.
    Today is a good Monday.

edited June 2020
    godmode wrote: »

Which is exactly why I don't want to work with them. Too predatory.

Also: Fucking FINALLY done with Texas Government, I can focus on IT studying now!!

Cambiata on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Yeah, hitting all parts of your register with equivalent volume and not getting louder or softer based on how easy it is for you to sing is a big deal when teaching folks.
    Cambiata wrote: »
    godmode wrote: »

Which is exactly why I don't want to work with them. Too predatory.

Also: Fucking FINALLY done with Texas Government, I can focus on IT studying now!!

When I first moved up to Seattle I applied to a bunch of places and delivered a bunch of resumes in the first week. Something like 50ish total. The first place to get back to me was a pyramid scheme I didnt even apply for and they were thirsty for new meat.

I mean, the Mary Kay job was for a site Reliability Engineer job, so the recruiter wasn't asking me to buy in on the actual pyramid scheme, but the money I'd be paid for the role would come off the backs of impoverished women being scammed by the con, so no thanks.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I did it, I fucking did it, I can't talk about what I did and it was way harder than it should have been but I did a thing and it worked so now I'm gonna go write the bones of a paper draft.
    Today is a good Monday.

HELL FUCKIN' YEAH, awesome job Tynic! Now go pour yourself a drink or something! Hopefully you can get back to semi-regular hours now that this monkey is off your back. Well fuckin' done

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Wellll... I still have to write up the solution. And do more demos, and check the whole solution space in case it was a fluke. And then get feedback from my most anal retentive colleague, and see what I missed. And then move it all onto real hardware But the back of it is broken - I proved what I want to do is at least theoretically possible.

So, cause for celebration indeed. Also a saner bedtime.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Let's all go to bed right now in celebration.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Also if you're wondering how we got the modern system of tuning and specifically how we all agreed on what pitch has which frequency, you can thank...

The Treaty of Versailles!

...sort of. Basically one of the provisions of the treaty established the A above middle C as 435Hz at 15°C. You'll note that's not what it is now, because the British decided to be all British about it.

See, they'd tune their lead oboe to A=435Hz @ 15°C, then go into the concert hall, which would usually be closer to 18°C, and tune all the other instruments off the oboe. This resulted in every one being equally but sliiiightly sharp (5Hz is damn hard to hear), and over time everyone just went with it and it was just standardized to A=440Hz instead.

There's lots of "alternative tunings" you can read about and listen to on Youtube but for me the only one worth mentioning tunes middle C to 256Hz and that's just because it puts all the Cs at powers of 2, and C has sort of become the default start of the scale/system (I'd also be fine with making A=256Hz and just redoing everything from there).

More specifically set A=16Hz as the official lowest limit of human hearing and just build up from there.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    @Zonugal

Extra credit idea for your next class
    Correctly identify everyone in this video.

https://youtu.be/xOFG_qmoH8I

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

But is it true that just a couple of very thin slices off your taint can add 1-1.5 octaves to your range? At least temporarily?

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    :bigfrown:

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

But is it true that just a couple of very thin slices off your taint can add 1-1.5 octaves to your range? At least temporarily?

I'm pretty sure that would bestow you with the ability to mimic the Diva from 5th Element

This discussion has been closed.