As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Updates on [SARS2/covid-19] (reboot)

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I think we knew about the flawed tests, but I am not sure if anybody knew that the FDA kept sending them out even after being told the tests were faulty. I didn't know that.

But it's definitely not surprising with this administration

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Messed up quote tree

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Federal officials allowed distribution of COVID-19 antibody tests after they knew many were flawed
    Federal officials failed to immediately stop the distribution of many COVID-19 antibody tests they knew were flawed, leading to inaccurate data about the spread of the virus. Congress is now investigating why the FDA did not review the tests it allowed to be distributed widely throughout the U.S.

Laredo, Texas, wound up getting thousands of antibody test kits from a Chinese company. The untested kits were then tested by the city's health director, Dr. Hector Gonzalez, who found the tests accuracy to differ wildly depending on when it was given and how long after a person was exposed to the virus. The small sample he tested was only about 20% accurate. "We had such high hopes to test… we were ready to do public drive-through testing… Now we couldn't. We were on hold," recalls Gonzalez.

Laredo officials reported the faulty tests to federal agents at Homeland Security and officials came to town to seize the tests and start an investigation, but the federal government did little to halt the spread of other un-proven antibody testing kits.

How totally unsurprising.

I think we may have had a whole thing about this near the behind of the last thread, this can't possibly be news to people, right?

I think that was about a different flawed test: the Abbot quick test that the White House was touting.

Speaking of that:
    Abbott Labs announced that it is cutting ties with Matt Schlapp, a lobbyist with ties to the Trump administration, following public pressure to disavow him over controversial political comments. Schlapp's wife Mercedes Schlapp is a senior advisor for the Trump-Pence campaign.

Abbott Labs shares have been stagnant after the accuracy of their testing was questioned. Abbott Labs were investigated by the FDA for potentially inaccurate Covid-19 testing and were then downgraded to sell by Goldman Sachs.

The medical device maker told Crain's Chicago Business that it no longer works with Cove Strategies, the boutique government and public relations firm that Schlapp founded in 2009.

Abbott had been paying Schlapp $200,000 annually, according to Crain's Chicago Business.

While the White House was shilling that bad test the company that makes it was paying one of his advisor's husband $200k a year.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It was part of the FDA approval of antibody tests for emergency use. The idea was that no one had time to test the efficacy of that many products flooding the market, and it was badly abused and some of the tests were objectively garbage, but they weren't taken down. The FDA was like "yeah we'll get around to this." It was an over-correction because of their response to tests for active infection. We even had a conversation about how someone used one of them for a study and then that was rolled into metastudies and it was all garbage because the tests weren't as accurate as presented. This was all... very much known. The best tests weren't great.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    To be fair, it's tough to keep track of all the ways the fed has fucked up their response here.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Total official COVID-19 cases are over 10 million and total official deaths from the global goddamn pandemic have reached 500,000. Both numbers are lower than reality, of course. The actual number of deaths, based on excess deaths in countries where such data is currently available, is at least 120,000 more based on estimates by the New York Times and the Financial Times.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Remember how the church Trump went to in AZ was claiming their new air filters killed off 99% of Covid? Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich sent them a cease and desist order to stop making that unscientific claim.

https://mcusercontent.com/cc1fad182b6d6f8b1e352e206/files/718f9853-6339-41a2-8821-3d287223fcb0/2020_06_25_DREAM_CITY_WARNING_LETTER.pdf

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Remember how the church Trump went to in AZ was claiming their new air filters killed off 99% of Covid? Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich sent them a cease and desist order to stop making that unscientific claim.

https://mcusercontent.com/cc1fad182b6d6f8b1e352e206/files/718f9853-6339-41a2-8821-3d287223fcb0/2020_06_25_DREAM_CITY_WARNING_LETTER.pdf

The company that makes the filters has been screaming their products do not protect you from the virus, they have never claimed they do, and no one can sue them for getting it while using them nonstop since Trump visited that church.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I can't recall having read about this before:

Norwegian doctors are reporting delirium as a possible symptom of covid-19, informally nicknaming it "covid brain". Patients seem unaware or unconcerned about what is happening, or unable to remember how to do simple tasks like operating their phones. Most patients who are to go on ventilators are terrified; some covid-19 patients are unconcerned. One told the doctors to wait until his tv show was done.

Doctors do not believe covid has any long-term effects on mental health. But delerium can make it difficult to seek help in time, especially for the elderly or people who live alone.

Via Norwegian public broadcaster NRK.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Norwegian doctors are reporting delirium as a possible symptom of covid-19, informally nicknaming it "covid brain". Patients seem unaware or unconcerned about what is happening, or unable to remember how to do simple tasks like operating their phones. Most patients who are to go on ventilators are terrified; some covid-19 patients are unconcerned. One told the doctors to wait until his tv show was done.

Doctors do not believe covid has any long-term effects on mental health. But delerium can make it difficult to seek help in time, especially for the elderly or people who live alone.

This seems in line with what has been reported about the effects of low oxygen in covid patients. Most patients with very low oxygen are highly distressed, covid patients are just, "whatever" and far more alert than their oxygen level would suggest.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

This seems in line with what has been reported about the effects of low oxygen in covid patients. Most patients with very low oxygen are highly distressed, covid patients are just, "whatever" and far more alert than their oxygen level would suggest.

It would not surprise me if low oxygenation levels did weird things to the brain.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    This review article may be a research thread you'd want to follow if you are concerned about the various neurological sequelae of COVID-19, including delirium. In short, though common respiratory factors and uncommon cerebrovascular factors (like the increased potential of stroke in COVID-19) can explain delirium, previous SARS and MERS studies and current SARS-CoV-2 studies are showing some evidence of neurotropism - virus directly affecting brain and neural tissue. Before you panic, there are plenty of other much more common viruses that are much meaner to the nervous system, and the brain being the privileged organ that it is has plenty of safeguards against long term damage from infections it encounters as long as secondary effects from inflammation and hypoxia don't overwhelm it. Delirium, also called encephalopathy, is a vague medical condition that is not a real diagnosis and is by definition extremely reversible and temporary.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • FrostwoodFrostwood Registered User regular
    Immunity only lasts three months for "mild" cases and even less for Asymptomatic cases:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/asymptomatic-covid-19-1.5629172

40% of asymptomatic cases had no detectable antibodies after 8 weeks. 13% of mild cases had also lost antibodies after 8 weeks as well.

Hopefully a vaccine can introduce a longer immunity.

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Lack of antibodies does not equal lack of immunity.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    To explain further, your body does not have antibodies for everything you've ever been infected for floating around. Rather, it has cells which, if it detects a new infection, can immediately produce antibodies.

So the real test is how long those cells retain the memory to make antibodies.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    To explain further, your body does not have antibodies for everything you've ever been infected for floating around. Rather, it has cells which, if it detects a new infection, can immediately produce antibodies.

Isn't this the where the real "yo measles is really fucking bad" comes in?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Measles does many bad things, but it doesnt destroy your memory of how to make antibodies to it. It can damage your innate immune system and your memory of how to respond to other viruses. You do recover though.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Czech Republic: 260 new cases on Saturday, 305 on Sunday. Nearly all of them are around Karvina, which is a mining area where COVID got into the local coal mine and predictably went nuts on everyone there and their friends and family. So there's that.

Added bonus, the government has announced that you don't need to wear masks on trams and buses, still need them on the metro though. Because REASONS! I guess. Hopefully the mayor can step in and tell everyone to wear a damn mask.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I didn't realize this, but apparently NJ announced an adjustment for their deaths on June 25th?

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

The "O2 sat in the sixties or seventies without any outward sign of distress" thing has got to be the single weirdest part of the whole disease.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article243873707.html

Sacramento, which in the initial part of the first wave was the best metro area in the country, has set a new high for hospitalizations this morning, and 31% of all cases have been reported in the last two weeks.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Measles does many bad things, but it doesnt destroy your memory of how to make antibodies to it. It can damage your innate immune system and your memory of how to respond to other viruses. You do recover though.

You might recover, or you might just die from getting reinfected with all sorts of things for the next few years afterward. Measles epidemics are followed by pneumonia epidemics because upwards of 70% of the immune system memory cells are wiped out, just eliminated entirely, erasing long-term immunity to viruses and bacteria, including immunity via immunization. Measles is so nasty that it still kills even after it's beaten.

Anyway, on actual topic, ProPublica has an article about the medical mask black market, particularly the part where "medical use prohibited" masks are repackaged for medical use and sold to hospitals and government agencies. These repackaged masks are now getting caught and these shysters are finding themselves with tons of substandard masks, but there's no telling how many substandard masks ended up being sent to medical facilities before this (hundreds of thousands if not millions had already been sold) and if the stockpiled masks will eventually be dumped on consumer markets or "donated" to groups who would be unaware that the masks are faulty.

There are always so many scams going on.

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

Sacramento, which in the initial part of the first wave was the best metro area in the country, has set a new high for hospitalizations this morning, and 31% of all cases have been reported in the last two weeks.

fuck

I'm fully expecting another lock-down come the end of the week in Sac County

El Dorado County had info last Thursday on cases thus far. To the surprise of no one Tahoe is the hotspot for the county

https://www.edcgov.us/Government/hhsa/Pages/EDCCOVID-19-Cases.aspx

Edit: also I'd just like lol at El Dorado Hills being second behind Tahoe. It's a pretty staunch Republican enclave, so that's also no surprise. They're the only area in EDC that changed from a (530) to a (916) Sacramento area code in the 90's because they didn't want to be associated with "those people up the hill".

Havelock2.0 on
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

fuck

El Dorado County had info last Thursday on cases thus far. To the surprise of no one Tahoe is the hotspot for the county

Edit: also I'd just like lol at El Dorado Hills being second behind Tahoe. It's a pretty staunch Republican enclave, so that's also no surprise. They're the only area in EDC that changed from a (530) to a (916) Sacramento area code in the 90's because they didn't want to be associated with "those people up the hill".

Sacramento county bars are closing tonight.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article243870062.html
    Less than three weeks after giving bars the green light to reopen, Sacramento County health officials on Monday ordered them to close again, saying patrons are not social-distancing enough, especially after a few drinks, and are contributing to a dramatic surge in new cases.

The county bar closure order is set for 6 p.m. Monday.

Sacramento health chief Dr. Peter Beilenson announced the closures a day after Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered seven counties to close down bars and recommended that eight other counties, including Sacramento, consider doing so as well.

Arizona's governor hit the "oh shit" button, about two weeks too late, and not hard enough probably.

https://www.abc15.com/news/state/arizona-gov-ducey-re-closes-bars-movie-theaters-gyms-and-water-parks-for-30-days
    Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey ordered bars, gyms, movie theaters, water parks, and tubing to close for at least 30 days on Monday, following weeks of steady increases in positive COVID-19 test results in the state, and a week after he issued a strong warning to bars and nightclubs, specifically in Scottsdale, that were not adhering to their social distancing requirements.

The order goes into effect Monday at 8 p.m., he said.

Kansas governor mandating masks in public spaces.

Tweet is from a Kansas news reporter.

fuck

Less than three weeks after giving bars the green light to reopen, Sacramento County health officials on Monday ordered them to close again, saying patrons are not social-distancing enough, especially after a few drinks, and are contributing to a dramatic surge in new cases.

Sacramento health chief Dr. Peter Beilenson announced the closures a day after Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered seven counties to close down bars and recommended that eight other counties, including Sacramento, consider doing so as well.

Arizona's governor hit the "oh shit" button, about two weeks too late, and not hard enough probably.

https://www.abc15.com/news/state/arizona-gov-ducey-re-closes-bars-movie-theaters-gyms-and-water-parks-for-30-days
    Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey ordered bars, gyms, movie theaters, water parks, and tubing to close for at least 30 days on Monday, following weeks of steady increases in positive COVID-19 test results in the state, and a week after he issued a strong warning to bars and nightclubs, specifically in Scottsdale, that were not adhering to their social distancing requirements.

Bars should literally have not opened at all, it was ridiculous that they did. If we had kept bars closed until now, then perhaps we'd almost be ready to open them! Everyone is very determined to rush forward, while dragging their feet on preparations.

All we can do is hope that these closures have a beneficial effect, and are rapidly applied state wide. The fact that we tried opening bars before we said, "Lets try opening zoos" is absurd.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Silver lining is that with the precautions decent chunks of the population are taking for COVID, flu season shouldn't be bad this year even if it's a fairly nasty strain.

Even half assed screening combined with the flu not being particularly contagious prior to symptoms typically should really ramp down the spread especially among vulnerable populations.

Granted, not much of a silver lining.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

fuck

Bars should literally have not opened at all, it was ridiculous that they did. If we had kept bars closed until now, then perhaps we'd almost be ready to open them! Everyone is very determined to rush forward, while dragging their feet on preparations.

All we can do is hope that these closures have a beneficial effect, and are rapidly applied state wide. The fact that we tried opening bars before we said, "Lets try opening zoos" is absurd.

A lot more people want to go to bars, much more strongly, than they want to go to zoos.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Kansas governor mandating masks in public spaces.

Tweet is from a Kansas news reporter.

Ugh, at least when I checked every response was one chucklefuck or another daring the state to enforce it. Gee, I wonder why things are so bad.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular

fuck

Weirdly enough, Tahoe was also the initial hotspot for Washoe county :rotate: what a fucking surprise.

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »

fuck

Weirdly enough, Tahoe was also the initial hotspot for Washoe county :rotate: what a fucking surprise.

Lake Tahoe will be crowded for the 4th and I'm not a betting a man but I'd put money on there being a corresponding spike in the surrounding regions shortly afterwards

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular

fuck

A lot more people want to go to bars, much more strongly, than they want to go to zoos.

God, once this is all over I am so going to a motherfucking zoo, see some penguins and red pandas

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    In civilized places we serve alcohol at zoos.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    NV holding phase 2 at least till the end of July, governor doesn't seem to have backed down on masks yet, which is great. Lucedes are people respecting the masks thing up there? Tourists are meant to wear them too!

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

Concerning, but the article mentions that current flu vaccines are likely possible to modify to fight this strain.
    Current flu vaccines do not appear to protect against it, although they could be adapted to do so if needed.

Not something to ignore at all, but hopefully something that can be kept contained, and addressed much more quickly.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    And anything we do behavior-wise to curb COVID will also curb influenza.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    NV holding phase 2 at least till the end of July, governor doesn't seem to have backed down on masks yet, which is great. Lucedes are people respecting the masks thing up there? Tourists are meant to wear them too!

My corner of the city, yes. Gas station on my commute? Absolutely not. Downtown? No idea, probably a shitshow. Casinos? No idea, don’t want to go anywhere near them.

The governors order did sharply increase compliance, however, since masking was at less than half before, and it seems to have risen sharply at least in the left-leaning parts of town. Not sure if it has saved any of the previously dire places because I haven’t been anywhere possibly risky in a long, long time.

(Apologies for bumping the update thread with anecdotal evidence instead of a news update.)

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    In civilized places we serve alcohol at zoos.

Our zoo doesn't screen for backpacks and small coolers, so even if they didn't serve alcohol (they do) you can always bring your own.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    With a flu virus though I'd imagine the timescale for making a vaccine against a novel strain is dramatically shorter? I know normally they're prepping them like a year ahead of time, but that's mainly for manufacturing time and such, right?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy