As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The thing is here, the police were not forced to leave the area, they just abandoned it.

If the police gave a rat's ass, and changed their behavior, they could be there and arrest people doing actually dangerous things.

But they instead throw stun grenades at old photographers.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    However, isn't the system to hold these people accountable the very system they are currently acting in protest against?

The community involved can always expel the shooters in question. There are literally zero reasons to get SPD involved in this.

"Exile" doesn't really work here. You don't just shunt murderers to be someone else's problem and assume that's a long-term, sustainable practice.

Again, I'm not sure what course of action for accountability people are expecting to pursue with "effective" results that doesn't explicitly or implicitly involve SPD. Literally the very same institution so many of us have been protesting against.

Interestingly enough I was under the impression that people were protesting against the murder of minorities by an unaccountable mob.

Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to I guess.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    You guys say unaccountable like the legal system wont be all over them

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Doc wrote: »
    I'd rather have the cops

I would rather not, and neither would the people in the CHOP.

Obviously; they'd be held accountable for gunfights.

You think the SPD would be held accountable for shooting a black teen in a car?

Yes, I do.

I also think they are super on-the-ball with releasing squad car/body camera footage in use-of-force incidents, just because they're overwhelmingly often on the right side of things, especially in the last few years. Their behavior during the protests was entirely atrocious, but in terms of accountability for deadly use-of-force? Yeah, I do trust the SPD more than CHOP security. That is much more a condemnation than me praising SPD across the board.

Now, if we're talking about the King County Sheriff's department, that might be a different story.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    However, isn't the system to hold these people accountable the very system they are currently acting in protest against?

The community involved can always expel the shooters in question. There are literally zero reasons to get SPD involved in this.

"Exile" doesn't really work here. You don't just shunt murderers to be someone else's problem and assume that's a long-term, sustainable practice.

Again, I'm not sure what course of action for accountability people are expecting to pursue with "effective" results that doesn't explicitly or implicitly involve SPD. Literally the very same institution so many of us have been protesting against.

Interestingly enough I was under the impression that people were protesting against the murder of minorities by an unaccountable mob.

An unaccountable security force operating under the implicit banner of white supremacy and in full control of municipal necropolitics. There is a difference.

Hacksaw on
  • Options

There's this weird thing where people keep conflating "state-funded, state-empowered group with military-grade weapons" and "people in the neighborhood" as being equivalent and it really really bugs me.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    You two aren't seriously coming down on the side of "welp, nothing we can do, all hail our glorious armed unaccountable protectors" are you?

'Cause I live here, and I gotta tell you, I do not feel safer knowing that someone with that little trigger control (and/or that much bloodlust) is "protecting" me, without even the veneer or pretense of accountability that police have. Rifle bullets don't stop at cars!

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The shooters here have the same accountability any of the rest of us have when we use lethal force in defense of us and ours. Which is to say they'll go away for years if they fuck it up, given the circumstances.

Any notion theyre somehow held the same or a lowwr accountability than cops is laughable.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

There's this weird thing where people keep conflating "state-funded, state-empowered group with military-grade weapons" and "people in the neighborhood" as being equivalent and it really really bugs me.

That kids dead either way, and that really bugs me

• Options
    Yeah, I do trust the SPD more than CHOP security.

I do not, so we are at an impasse.

• Options

Sure. But the two groups aren't the same.

Being able to recognize systemic problems is very important to this situation.

• Options
    You two aren't seriously coming down on the side of "welp, nothing we can do, all hail our glorious armed unaccountable protectors" are you?

'Cause I live here, and I gotta tell you, I do not feel safer knowing that someone with that little trigger control (and/or that much bloodlust) is "protecting" me, without even the veneer or pretense of accountability that police have. Rifle bullets don't stop at cars!

My stance is that Im glad a community that is under lethal threat without police protection is taking measures to protect itself. As for the shooting in the specific, we'll see if it was righteous or not.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    The thing is here, the police were not forced to leave the area, they just abandoned it.

If the police gave a rat's ass, and changed their behavior, they could be there and arrest people doing actually dangerous things.

Like I asked before, had there been anything from chop about how they'd like the police to interact with them? Could they actually be there and arrest people or would they be hounded out of the zone?

I mean, I think the cops definitely abandoned it, chop can't play both sides saying "all copts get out" and also "those only happened because the cops abandoned us".

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

I live here, as well. This is likely going to be an impasse for us.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »

Like I asked before, had there been anything from chop about how they'd like the police to interact with them? Could they actually be there and arrest people or would they be hounded out of the zone?

I mean, I think the cops definitely abandoned it, chop can't play both sides saying "all copts get out" and also "those only happened because the cops abandoned us".

The cops have walked in and out of their abandoned precinct with nothing more than some jeering. They have chosen to do nothing because they werent allowed to do anything they wanted.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

I find little solace in the murder of a child that isn’t based on a systemic issue.

Do you even hear yourself right now?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I dunno hack.
    I've been trying to defend the concept of defunding the police to my various family who trot out arguments like "but without fully supporting the police, murderers will roam the streets!".

But I guess they're actually right? This is the actual plan?

There are a lot of very vocal demands that something better be done to protect the community but no one actually seems to have one.
    Quid wrote: »
    Name the people, provide actual justification for killing black kids who were "potentially" dangerous. Apply the standards we want cops to follow. If they can't do that then they shouldn't have guns in the first place.

I do not want deadly, poorly trained, unaccountable cops replaced with a different group of deadly, poorly trained, unaccountable cops.

This was murder, full stop. There’s a reasonable solution and it’s most definitely not to let murderers get away with murder.

• Options

I've seen a ton of conversations happening during the big protests.

If cops just treated the protesters like they normally treat white supremacists things would be a lot less stressful.

• Options

I'm not okay with "people in the neighborhood" shooting a car until it crashes, then shooting the car more to kill someone, either.

I don't want anyone shooting cars and killing people. I don't care where you live. Please stop doing this where I live.

• Options

I dunno hack.
    I've been trying to defend the concept of defunding the police to my various family who trot out arguments like "but without fully supporting the police, murderers will roam the streets!".

There are a lot of very vocal demands that something better be done to protect the community but no one actually seems to have one.
    Name the people, provide actual justification for killing black kids who were "potentially" dangerous. Apply the standards we want cops to follow. If they can't do that then they shouldn't have guns in the first place.

I do not want deadly, poorly trained, unaccountable cops replaced with a different group of deadly, poorly trained, unaccountable cops.

This was murder, full stop. There’s a reasonable solution and it’s most definitely not to let murderers get away with murder.

Thats what you want to have done with the shooters. What Im asking is how the community should protect itself if armed citizens is so objectionable to the thread.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    The shooters here have the same accountability any of the rest of us have when we use lethal force in defense of us and ours. Which is to say they'll go away for yesrs if they fuck it up, given the circumstances.

There are users here who are advocating that exile from CHOP is the reasonable way of handling this.

I live here, as well. This is likely going to be an impasse for us.

That makes two in just about as many minutes.

Let's see how many more minutes it takes to get enough of Seattle at an impasse with the CHOP hardliners to put the city on the brink.

• Options
    Honestly, I cant get over the idea that the cops would be held accountable here. Like, jesus, come on.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

I find little solace in the murder of a child that isn’t based on a systemic issue.

You are using the same argument structure that conservatives use to excuse systemic violence against groups by authorities.

• Options
    Honestly, I cant get over the idea that the cops would be held accountable here. Like, jesus, come on.

Well I'm convinced

• Options

The cops have walked in and out of their abandoned precinct with nothing more than some jeering. They have chosen to do nothing because they werent allowed to do anything they wanted.

The people inside the CHOP have listed their demands to SPD, the mayor, and the city's politicians at large vis a vis how they wish to be interacted with. The municipal response has basically been "lol whut, okay fuk u" outside of, like SDoT lining up portapoties. The city government as a whole has been as hostile as they can be towards this entire endeavor.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Are these shooters being held accountable? Have they identified themselves, provided their side? When I checked the times there had not been an update to say they have been.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2020

You are using the same argument structure that conservatives use to excuse systemic violence against groups by authorities.

I am not supporting the murder of children by the police.

Why are you supporting the murder of this child by vigilantes?

jmcdonald on
  • Options

Well I'm convinced

I mean if you have gone through the last couple weeks of all this and still have faith that cops will be held accountable for shooting black kids Im not going to be able to persuade you otherwise man.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Incenjucar was warned for this.

I am not supporting the murder of children by the police.

Why are you supporting the murder of this child by vigilantes?

Why are you eating babies?

ceres on
  • Options
    That makes two in just about as many minutes.

Let's see how many more minutes it takes to get enough of Seattle at an impasse with the CHOP hardliners to put the city on the brink.

I would argue that the city has been on the brink for a while, and that this incident will likely push it further over the edge.

• Options

Well I'm convinced

I mean if you have gone through the last couple weeks of all this and still have faith that cops will be held accountable for shooting black kids Im not going to be able to persuade you otherwise man.

The question wasn't if cops universally would be held responsible. The question was whether SPD would be held responsible.

And I think they would be.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I dunno hack.

Thats what you want to have done with the shooters. What Im asking is how the community should protect itself if armed citizens is so objectionable to the thread.

Ensure people acting as security are trained and held accountable for their actions. At a bare minimum know who’s providing security.

It really sucks that they’re a target for other armed assholes. But if their security is going to boil down to cops but without a paycheck then I have little sympathy.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    It is worth noting that the last few pages have shown that CHOP has utterly lost whatever power it had in effecting change. The people on this board, in this thread, are way way more sympathetic to CHOP than the overwhelming majority of the people of Seattle.

Honestly I don't think CHOP itself did any good in effecting change after the police pulled back from the east prescient but that is debatable. Things might swing back in favor of the protests (which are different from CHOP itself) if the police openly resume the violence. But right now all they have to do is sit on their hands and the "people in the neighborhood" are going to get very anti-CHOP very quickly. If a protest of local people against CHOP gets started that would be all the cover the police would need to dismantle whoever is left there without riling up the public in favor of improving on the (very limited) reforms that were won during the violent protests prior to CHOP forming.

It's not fair. And it shows the remarkably short attention span of our culture. But that's what is going to happen.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Well I'm convinced

The question wasn't if cops universally would be held responsible. The question was whether SPD would be held responsible.

Based on what?

• Options

Charleena Lyles is still dead, and the officers who killed her are still collecting paychecks. Demonstrably, SPD would not be held accountable.

• Options

See, the difference is we can, at least, pretend. There would at the very least be the motions. They are at least paid to pretend to care.

The other people in question, however, are not paid, and there will be no motions, and we know empirically that they will use rather a lot of rather speedy bullets (when compared to sidearms) when they feel they are threatened by their "targets", and they do so without a lot of evidenced concern for what or who is behind what they're shooting.

If I run the identical risk of being shot either way, I'll take the ones who are paid to pretend to care, thanks.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I really don't feel like "welp, guess they can just shoot people" is where we want to end up. Like, we already have that problem. I can at least pretend I won't get involved with that problem by staying real far away from the dudes in blue outfits.

This isn't even a rentacop. This is... I dunno, but it's a dude or dudes who shot a moving car, waited for it to crash, then shot it more, to the tune of 18+ rounds (I counted, but there may have been more before I started watching.) of rifle ammunition in a crowded residental/business district.

Honestly? That can fuck right off. I'd rather have the cops; they're at least paid to fucking pretend. And when they shoot up an immobile vehicle, we don't celebrate it.

It's 20 rounds, if I counted it right.

Idk. I still really struggle with the idea that these groups need to be able to defend themselves, often from the police, and the fact that even if the first ~5 shots were justified, it was clearly excessive there at the end.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    It is worth noting that the last few pages have shown that CHOP has utterly lost whatever power it had in effecting change. The people on this board, in this thread, are way way more sympathetic to CHOP than the overwhelming majority of the people of Seattle.

Honestly I don't think CHOP itself did any good in effecting change after the police pulled back from the east prescient but that is debatable. Things might swing back in favor of the protests (which are different from CHOP itself) if the police openly resume the violence. But right now all they have to do is sit on their hands and the "people in the neighborhood" are going to get very anti-CHOP very quickly. If a protest of local people against CHOP gets started that would be all the cover the police would need to dismantle whoever is left there without riling up the public in favor of improving on the (very limited) reforms that were won during the violent protests prior to CHOP forming.

It's not fair. And it shows the remarkably short attention span of our culture. But that's what is going to happen.

It is quite literally why the police and the city have withdrawn from the area. The protests only got big because they flailed at the protesters to begin with, and when they realized flailing wasn't working they did the silent treatment, and allowed the natural consequences of large groups of people of a narrow demographic to concentrate in an area where people who would threaten them can easily locate them.

It is all insanely predictable, and endlessly frustrating.

• Options

Well I'm convinced

Based on what?

Based on continual federal oversight (mostly under the Obama DOJ) actually doing a pretty good job at straightening out a department that was pretty fucked up a decade ago. It's one reason that SPD has been understaffed for a while - shitty cop wannabes don't cut it there and can't literally get away with murder.

There was a massive regression during the protests, so it's possible that I'm wrong.

• Options

See, the difference is we can, at least, pretend. There would at the very least be the motions. They are at least paid to pretend to care

The other people in question, however, are not paid, and there will be no motions, and we know empirically that they will use rather a lot of rather speedy bullets (when compared to sidearms) when they feel they are threatened by their "targets", and they do so without a lot of evidenced concern for what or who is behind what they're shooting.

If I run the identical risk of being shot either way, I'll take the ones who are paid to pretend to care, thanks.

This is actually worse!

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.