As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    This pleases me. I skipped Bloodstained all together but CotM was solid and i would def be happy if this became a regular series.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    The second trailer for COTM2 also reveals that
    Miriam, Gebel and Alfred are playable again. With a two player mode so you can have eight characters at once?

Also, you can stand on each other’s heads.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    This take is so hot it burns to type! Castlevania 1 is a well made game for its time and I just completed it in a sitting. See you in another 15 years Castlevania 1!

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Miriam, Gebel and Alfred are playable again. With a two player mode so you can have eight characters at once?

Trailer in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5eVKsmguKY

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Ugh, I still haven't finished CotM part 1. Got to some section with instant death bug swarms or something. Just frustrating.

that part isn't that bad once you learn where they all are. that is the last level though, you should finish it!

Huh, look at that. You were right. CotM finally done.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Is there going to be a physical version of COTM2. I liked the one they did of the first game. Limited Run did it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Trailer in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5eVKsmguKY

Dark movie trailer voice: "A Corgi who pulverizes demons by controlling a magicked suit of armor." :lol:

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I have high appreciation for people who do silly things like that with a serious voice.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1018010/Castlevania_Anniversary_Collection/

The summer Steam sale brought this down to about a dollar a game.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I just need to say that I loved season 3, and that the voice cast only gets better.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I have high appreciation for people who do silly things like that with a serious voice.

Dominique and... Steve.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    I backed Bloodstained on kickstarter, and after Curse of the Moon came out, I was completely satisfied. At that point I didn't really care if Ritual of the Night made it, so I'm a lot more excited to see CotM2 over RotN2.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Turns out that the classicvania style is good.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    This looks pretty great.

• Options
    Good luck finding a cheap legit copy of Castlevania Legends. Yeesh.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I'm still mad Miriam doesn't use whips like a Belmont in ROTN.

smh.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    I do need to get that Castlevania Collection. Mainly, I want sharp versions of the Gameboy games.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I'm still mad Miriam doesn't use whips like a Belmont in ROTN.

smh.

Seriously. Her whip was the best in COTM, rivaled only by Gebel's bats for the best basic weapon (and even then, it was situational). ROTN whips? Ehhhh.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1018010/Castlevania_Anniversary_Collection/

The summer Steam sale brought this down to about a dollar a game.

The Castlevania games I want still aren't on PC or Switch.

• Options
    There is also that SotN and RoB on the PSP.

Was that the only english release of RoB?

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    There is also that SotN and RoB on the PSP.

Was that the only english release of RoB?

I think we got RoB English (not Dracula X) in that Nintendo Switch collection?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Rondo of Blood's English port ended up on that PS4 collection called Requiem, but that's it. Just PSP and PS4.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Sony supposedly funded the PSP remake and it's very likely running Rondo and SotN inside said remake on Sony's emulators, which may have been ported to PS4 for the requiem collection. Could be a while before those show up anywhere else.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Is the redone voice work on SotN better? I kind of like the awful voice acting and writing of the original.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Is the redone voice work on SotN better? I kind of like the awful voice acting and writing of the original.

It's "better" in a superficial way, but profoundly worse in the sense that the original is memorable 23 years later, whereas the new take is just generic hero vs villain banter that is memorable to no one.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I forgot how cool Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow was. I got totally locked in on completing that one.

For some reason, I never really got into Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia. I think I have almost all of the Castlevainia games. I don't think I have that arcade one. Haunted Castle?

Oh, I don't have Castlevania: Dracula X since that is the crap version of Rondo of Blood.

Krathoon on
  • Options

It's "better" in a superficial way, but profoundly worse in the sense that the original is memorable 23 years later, whereas the new take is just generic hero vs villain banter that is memorable to no one.

Fight for the old voices, then. And die for their sins!

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Apparently, there was a motion control version of Castlevania in the Japanese arcades.
    https://youtu.be/pr2g4YGikhU

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I picked up Bloodstained ROTN again on Steam, after first getting it on Switch. And oh my god the performance is night and day. I hit start and get to the menu immediately.

Definitely don’t get the Switch version. That port is so compromised it actively brings down the whole experience, sadly.

• Options
    Yeah. Bloodstained ROTN is on sale on Steam. I just don't want the DRM. It is still full price on gog.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I really hate that I own the game on the Switch when it just feels bad to play. I could get it on Steam, but ugh....maybe if it goes on stupid sale.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I picked up Bloodstained ROTN again on Steam, after first getting it on Switch. And oh my god the performance is night and day. I hit start and get to the menu immediately.

Definitely don’t get the Switch version. That port is so compromised it actively brings down the whole experience, sadly.
    The mileage can kinda vary on load times with the PC version if you aren't on a fully modernized machine. Usually when I run the game after a fresh restart of the PC altogether, my load times are initially higher for each room and area. That said, really sad to hear the Switch version hasn't been fixed in that regard after all this time.

• Options
    You know, I haven’t actually played my switch version in a while.

I had better check it later, so I’m not telling people to dismiss it if it has been improved.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    The switch version was missing the rain effects. I don't know if that has changed.

It sounds like the PC and XBox One X versions are the best versions.

Really, the Switch version looked fine to me.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    It's not so much the visuals as peformance issues. I experienced some really awful load times opening stuff in the menu or moving from one area of the castle to another. The diffference is stark when comparing to the PC version. And it's a pretty serious issue for a game as exploration-heavy as this; you want to be able to move between the parts of the castle without a lot of delays.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    They definitely improved most of the loading times between areas, making farming and such a lot easier.

It'll never compare to the PC version, particularly on an SSD.

There was still one notable area on the Switch that even improved was abnormally long, that unless they fixed it with a more recent patch, is likely still there. IIRC it was going in the room above the large open area in the Garden of Silence. There was another one similar in the Livre ex Machina. The biggest problem with both of these, on top of their weirdly long load times (seriously, they were dramatically longer than anywhere else in the game and they weren't even splitting areas, just internal to an area), is that they were rooms that required you to jump up into, and the weird lag in loading would result in it being really easy to "miss" landing into the above rooms, meaning you'd fall back down, get another long load, then have to do it again. :rotate:

Making it clear that I played the whole game on Switch with no problems before any major patches, and even after playing the whole game on PC at ultra smooth frame rates and zero loading anywhere ever, and still enjoyed it a lot. I didn't experience the input lag a lot of people did (try turning on game mode on your TV. I never experienced at as a thing that mattered ever until playing XC1:DE recently on Switch and finding on my TV I couldn't ever hit the QTE for bursts and chain attacks. It was bizarre), so take what I'm saying for that grain of salt it is worth.

My ultimate stance is: Bloodstained on Switch is absolutely not the best way to play the game. In fact it is pretty objectively the worst way to play the game. If you have other options, and don't care about handheld, you probably should go with those other options; PC being ideal. However, it is still a lot of fun, and is still the whole game. It's just 30fps with some fuzzier visuals (also somewhat improved with patches), and missing a few effects (the aforementioned rain is only in the first area and if you hadn't played it elsewhere or seen video, you might not even notice. there is a rain effect, it's just drastically toned down from other versions) and some weirdness with load times. If you can deal with the lower frame rate and aren't bothered by what has now become the norm with Switch ports and the "soft" image, it is still a really good game. For some, though, 60fps in a platformer is absolutely required, and if that's a dealbreaker, then that's fair enough.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    I just discovered that the 360 version of SotN can be played on Xbox One X. That one has the original voices and translation.

There is a weird thing with a line running across the background, but it does not effect the game screen.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Fight for the old voices, then. And die for their sins!

The only one dying on the hill of the new voices will be you. Konami is laughable and has probably already forgotten they DID new voices. Or released that game to begin with.

(You are allowed to like them, this is non-serious banter.)

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I just discovered that the 360 version of SotN can be played on Xbox One X. That one has the original voices and translation.

There is a weird thing with a line running across the background, but it does not effect the game screen.

What it does not have is the really bad untextured castle intro FMV, nor the one that reveals the inverted castle.

Also lacks "I Am the Wind" in the end credits.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

What it does not have is the really bad untextured castle intro FMV, nor the one that reveals the inverted castle.

Also lacks "I Am the Wind" in the end credits.

Literally unplayable.