As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Summer 2020 [TV]: Revenge of the Bachelor

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Angel was worse because he was a grown man and his moment of pure happiness was ejaculating into an underage high school girl.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'm only in the fourth season of Buffy but I 100% prefer Spike.

Spike is a classic Vegeta, he's great.

Meanwhile Angel is a pedophile who can't have an orgasm or he'll become evil.

That said, I am enjoying the first season of Angel and its continued transformation of Angel into a dorkus diet-Batman.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    okay so when you become a vampire, your soul goes wherever souls go, I guess, and a demon's soul, the actual vampire, moves in.

When you get your soul back, it suppresses the vampire spirit?

The demon got all of your memories and skills and stuff when they got your body? so they just act like an evil you, basically.

That's roughly how I define it with the series mythology (though I've had people push back hard against it before), with the exception that I'd say it's a brand new demon "soul" or consciousness being born into the host body instead of moving in from somewhere else.

The newborn has access to your memories, a desire to feed, and no moral compass. As for the rare cases where the human soul returns...

(Contains late series spoilers for Buffy/Angel)
    The three cases we've seen have all treated it differently, but that seems to be because of their respective personalities.

Angel suppresses his demon side because he hates it and what it's done.

Spike essentially works in tandem with his demon side because they both want the same things and Spike is essentially what William wanted to be anyways.

Darla is a weird case since she's allegedly just feeling the effects of Connor's soul. She gains the moral compass and associated guilt/regret but nothing else. However, I'd say that would happen even if she really did get her real soul back, because it was already established the her memories from her human life are long gone, and so even the return of her human personality would only have the memories of the time as a vampire to draw on.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

That said, I am enjoying the first season of Angel and its continued transformation of Angel into a dorkus diet-Batman.

Spike's impersonation of Angel in the third episode was when I went, "Yeah, alright, this show could be okay"

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I can’t wait till Zon gets to the puppet episode of Angel.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Spike's impersonation of Angel in the third episode was when I went, "Yeah, alright, this show could be okay"

I'm a big fan of Angel pulling out a grappling gun and then just failing to use it at all in the episode where he first meets Kate.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Did you catch that the first vampire that Angel kills in the first episode of his show is actually Sawyer from Lost?

Be ready for other Lost cast members to have much bigger roles.

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    Did you catch that the first vampire that Angel kills in the first episode of his show is actually Sawyer from Lost?

Be ready for other Lost cast members to have much bigger roles.

I absolutely did!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I haven’t seen any Buffy or Angel but i pick Spike because he looks like Billy Idol and Angel just looks like David Boreanz

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I haven’t seen any Buffy or Angel but i pick Spike because he looks like Billy Idol and Angel just looks like David Boreanz

Technically Billy Idol looks like him

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Thinking about a good Spike/Angel moment from fairly late in the show. Which always reminds me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIvB0_-tQuY

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Spike is just so great

He's that art nerd from high school who starts partying and turns into a punk except his high school was the 1870s

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I like Spike as a villain and don't really like his face turn, so I guess I prefer Angel

Although I like Angelus better than Angel too

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Spike & Drusilla is quite the villain couple, definitely.

drunk lovesick Spike is also tops.

• Options
    Folks, I am pretty excited because tonight I watch the episode "Hush" for the first time.

• Options
    I can't believe it took you this long to watch Buffy

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the correct answer to the spike vs. angel debate is faith, I will not be taking any questions

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    If someone had asked me "has Zonugal seen Buffy" my answer would have been "fuckin' of course, nerds, no I've never met him why is that relevant shut up"

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    In Buffy, I 100% prefer Spike.

Angel is much better in his own show, where he isn’t tied down in the Buffy Romance. He’s a much more fun, dorky character. And surrounded by a cast that very quickly, and consistently, calls him on his shit.

I think my favorite season of Buffy and Angel is Angel season 2. And that very much is an Angel among equals and coworkers story.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    that was actually the correct answer, you passed this pop quiz!

edit: his dancing, the demon karaoke club!

Depressperado on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Spike is a better villain and a largely terrible hero. Angel is an ok hero and a good villain so I guess he wins on points?

• Options
    I can't believe it took you this long to watch Buffy

I grew up watching a lot of it, in a second-hand manner, as a result of my younger sister watching it all the time.

But I never watched it all the way through.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    pop quiz hotshots

who is better, Angel or Spike?

I vote Spike
    Angel had his soul returned because he was cruel and evil (and kinda dumb). it was a punishment. an effective one, definitely, but he didn't learn anything besides a Masterclass in Brooding from it.
    Spike, as a soulless vampire, actively seeks out exotic trials and earns his soul back, out of a love that even being a demon couldn't ruin. It's not a punishment, it's his reward.

also
    "I love you."
    "No you don't, but thanks for saying it."

The thing about Spike
    is that while that was an accurate description of what he did to get his soul back you kind of left out that he tries to rape Buffy because love absolutely was ruined by him being a vampire and that getting his soul back ends up revealed to be every but the punishment Angel got. Because as a consequence he learned that Buffy could never love him because of what he did.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Angel was worse because he was a grown man and his moment of pure happiness was ejaculating into an underage high school girl.

I’m very curious to see if this recent much needed cultural shift will end Buffy as a cultural touchstone.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Is Buffy a cultural touchstone?

I think it's a generational one, maybe.

• Options

I've yet to work a writers room that hasn't mentioned Buffy at least once a week.

I can't really speak to its impact on audiences, but its impact on folks who make television is near-impossible to overstate

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Dark S3E1 - still dark.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Netflix sends me emails about Dark.

I don't watch Dark, Netflix.

I watch K-On.

Send me targeted emails about a high school band singing about pens.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    There's a rumor that CBS All Access is currently developing a live-action adaptation of The Last Ronin, the upcoming TMNT miniseries comic
    In a future New York City far different from the one we know today, a lone surviving Turtle goes on a seemingly hopeless mission to obtain justice for his fallen family and friends.

• Options
    There's a rumor that CBS All Access is currently developing a live-action adaptation of The Last Ronin, the upcoming TMNT miniseries comic
    In a future New York City far different from the one we know today, a lone surviving Turtle goes on a seemingly hopeless mission to obtain justice for his fallen family and friends.

There was an episode of CBB where a Shaun Diston character pitched literally this

• Options

I've yet to work a writers room that hasn't mentioned Buffy at least once a week.

I can't really speak to its impact on audiences, but its impact on folks who make television is near-impossible to overstate

I guess when I think of cultural touchstones I think of Star Wars, Star Trek, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, Loony Tunes, Scooby Doo, the collective MCU, Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, ect...

I'm not terribly overwhelmed with mentions of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in my day to day life.

That isn't to say it isn't very influential. I can buy that its approach to dialogue is likely its strongest legacy.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Im watching the CW arrowverse stuff right now, they're all flavors of buffy. Like very clearly. All of our monster of the week, procedural programming that we've got a glut of is basically rooted in the writing of buffy and angel. They're foundational to large swaths of the programming produced in the last 20 years.

• Options

I guess when I think of cultural touchstones I think of Star Wars, Star Trek, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, Loony Tunes, Scooby Doo, the collective MCU, Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, ect...

I'm not terribly overwhelmed with mentions of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in my day to day life.

That isn't to say it isn't very influential. I can buy that its approach to dialogue is likely its strongest legacy.

Movies are a different beast than TV (for better or worse)

By the framework of "cultural touchstone" that you present, I'm not sure there has ever been a TV show that hits that level. Movies travel globally, serve as fixed points in time, in a way that TV, iterative and evolving by design, doesn't.

TV can influence other TV, but you're never gonna hear Greta Gerwig be like, "Yeah, I was really inspired by what HBO's doing right now" when promoting a movie. So when Buffy is pointed to as a cultural touchstone, I think there's invisible tag of, "...For TV"

• Options

When it was airing and ever since it had that cult classic feel where if you were in a certain kind of crowd you could reference it as easy as any of those. It’s a goth/punk touchstone.

Or was.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I can't say if Buffy the Vampire Slayer is catching on with younger audiences the way that say, the Office has, but it's undeniably had a huge impact on pop culture, especially. You can trace back so many shows to what they did on Buffy and Angel. It's deeply ingrained into fan culture, at the very least, whether or not anyone just jumping in now realizes it or not

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Has this trailer been linked in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Tm63y-S4s

Let me just say, I am ready for Screaming Man Ethan Hawke. This absolutely looks like the perfect series for this moment in time.

• Options

Movies are a different beast than TV (for better or worse)

By the framework of "cultural touchstone" that you present, I'm not sure there has ever been a TV show that hits that level. Movies travel globally, serve as fixed points in time, in a way that TV, iterative and evolving by design, doesn't.

TV can influence other TV, but you're never gonna hear Greta Gerwig be like, "Yeah, I was really inspired by what HBO's doing right now" when promoting a movie. So when Buffy is pointed to as a cultural touchstone, I think there's invisible tag of, "...For TV"

I guess I'm perhaps getting caught up on maybe a distinction between something being a "cultural touchstone" as opposed to a "generational touchstone"?

And is there room within such distinction for something to be highly influential without it being a touchstone?

For example, folks have been pointing to Buffy as being highly influential on CW shows like the Arrowverse, which I can definitely see.

But if you asked me what is the biggest influence on Arrow, its Lost, not Buffy (The Flash is far more like Buffy than anything else though).

I guess I am perhaps also being clouded in my approach to this because I grew up with other highly syndicated fantasy/action television shows in the 90's, so Buffy doesn't immediately jump out to me as strong as a touchstone as it might.

• Options
    Also, I think TV show franchises like Loony Tunes, Scooby Doo, and Star Trek have as much a claim to cultural touchstone as films.

• Options
    I don't really know what the difference is between a "generational touchstone" and a "cultural touchstone," and I also don't know that it particularly matters

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Loony Toons is literally the reason I thought "nimrod" was slang for "moron" and not an actual sarcastic jab Bugs Bunny was making against Elmer Fudd vis a vis his aptitude (or lack thereof) for hunting. If that doesn't make it a touchstone, nothing is a touchstone.

This discussion has been closed.