As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Summer 2020 [TV]: Revenge of the Bachelor

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I don't really know what the difference is between a "generational touchstone" and a "cultural touchstone," and I also don't know that it particularly matters

Every generation is introduced to Star Wars, Batman, Spider-Man, Harry Potter, ect...

I don't know if Generation X are being introduced to something like Cheers or Seinfeld though.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    feels like generation x definitely knew about seinfeld

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

banshee is such a chandler

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Its anecdotal but I've never heard a student mention it.

Friends, yes.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Friends, yes.

Zon who do you think gen X is

tynic wrote: »

Friends, yes.

Zon who do you think gen X is

Oh! Mixed up Generation Z with X.

Listen, I thought Hush was a very good episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Also, folks, I really like Riley.

Yeah gen Z would fucking hate Seinfeld.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    and they'd be right, there's like three good jokes and one of them is just "any time Elaine dances"

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Listen, I thought Hush was a very good episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Also, folks, I really like Riley.
    Oh boy.

You're in for... well, something, anyway.

sig.gif
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I don't really know what the difference is between a "generational touchstone" and a "cultural touchstone," and I also don't know that it particularly matters

Every generation is introduced to Star Wars, Batman, Spider-Man, Harry Potter, ect...

I don't know if Generation Z are being introduced to something like Cheers or Seinfeld though.

wasn't there a whole thing recently about the youths watching Fraiser? Not quite as far back as Cheers (but then Seinfeld is older)

or was that more millennials?

Tamin on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    When it comes to shipping Angel or Spike with Buffy, Sarah Michelle Gellar is 100% on Team Angel with like no hesitation.

Though this may be at least in part because David Boreanaz is apparently a better kisser.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's more of a footnote than anything in this conversation, but I would point out that Buffy is a property that still has new media coming out, largely in the form of comic books. Most notably the recent reboot series, which are attempting to tell the updated, modem versions of the original stories.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Aw man. Carl Reiner died

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I know the man has done so much, but I’ll be damned if the first words that went through my head when I heard the news weren’t “Tess is with Benedict, now? She’s too tall for him!”

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    "If you ever ask me that question again, Daniel, you will not wake up the following morning."

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Carl Reiner was 71 in Ocean's Eleven. What an awesome man.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The gradual morphing of streaming into, "Cable, but more annoying" continues

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

“Believe me, I’m as upset about this as you are,” David said. “One day I can only hope that HBO will come to their senses and grant me the cancellation I so richly deserve.”

Well, well, well.
    Cult animated series Mission Hill could return for a reboot with creators Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein twenty years after originally airing.

The pair, former exec producers on The Simpsons, are working on bringing the show back with a focus on supporting characters Gus Duncz and Wally Langford.

Oakley posted on a social media that the series is tentatively titled Gus & Wally and the pair are “taking it out to buyers soon”.

The gulf between "going to buyers" and "actually getting to air" is vast, so I refuse to get too optimistic, but man.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I think that show might have a much easier time finding its audience today

Also mission hill rules

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    After Buffy & Angel watch Dollhouse. it's TERRIBLE but has its moments.
    The show about a brainwashing human trafficking organization that I cannot believe not only got greenlit but aired for multiple seasons.
    Like a lof of Buffy has maybe aged poorly as much as I love it. But Dollhouse was completely insane to me at the time. It'll lose something in just being on a streaming service without the advertising campaign to go along with it thatwas selling a fun sexy action show. And oh yeah, this sexy action lady? She's a sex slave, watch as these people hire her for parties, or to murder people. But maybe do some good too.

Like the show does get into how screwed up its concept is, and why everyone involved in it is terrible, but I did not understand why the show felt like that was a revelation. Like did you know this is a bad thing?
    Also as much as I liked Faith...Eliza Dushku was not a great choice to play multiple roles. But the others were great at it, Enver Gjokaj and Dichen Lachman, who I keep seeing turn up in side roles, but deserve more parts.

edited June 2020
    I love that two paragraphs of why the show is terrible is preceded by "watch it though"

(Dollhouse is real bad and i could probably get over the conceptual problems and Whedon-wankfest of it all a little more easily if the acting was vaguely adequate, but it isn't. I tapped out after three episodes so maybe I missed something stellar that makes it worth investing your time into, but I've never heard that it got better, and cannot think of a single thing that would make me recommend it to anyone, ever.)

edit: if you're really jonesing for an Eliza Dushku procedural then Tru Calling is only averagely idiotic, and doesn't make its main character an indentured sex slave.

tynic on
  • PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    The biggest compliment I can think of about Carl Reiner is that The Dick Van Dyke Show is still funny, 70 years later. Given comedy's typically short shelf life, that's amazing to me.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    oh hey twitter embeds look different now

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Yeah I can't remotely call Dollhouse good. But I'm not sorry to have watched it. Not sure how else to put it.

Dollhouse is lousy up until the last episode of season one

Season two is much better, in large part because it gives more storylines to Enver Gjokaj and Dichen Lachman, who are waaaay more versatile performers than Eliza Dushku.

That said, even when it "gets good" it doesn't explore any themes or stories that aren't explored better elsewhere, in my opinion

Dollhouse can sit right next to Firefly, as the Whedon shows I'm not going to watch.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The first 7 episodes are quite bad, but Dollhouse grrs better after that. Individual epusodes are worth watching for Enver Gjokaj putting on very impressive performances.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Season 2 of Dollhouse also moves at a pretty breakneck pace because they realized they weren’t going to get a 3rd, so they crammed as much of their 5-year plan into that as they could.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Dichen Lachman is a criminally underused actress

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing actually pretty good actors come out of Neighbours

It's a bit easier now because I've not watched it in probably 10 years or so but still...that thing is basically drama school for a good % of Australian stage folk

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Up to s3e3 of Dark.

What the fuck is even going on in this show lol

I don't even mean that as a criticism. I just hope they can land this thing. But the way the show's universe is still expanding, I'm not a hundred per cent confident.
    Fucking Jonas, for the third time, has gone along with whatever an older future person has told him ~must be done~. If he's actually had a longer discussion with Eva about what's gonna happen, the audience hasn't been made privy to it. So yet again, we are in the dark (pun very much intended) about why he's doing what he's doing.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Enver Gjokaj was a fucking revelation in Dollhouse.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I feel like Buffy is the reason that Joss Whedon has been inflicted upon us for the past couple decades.

So yeah, it had an impact.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    It took a couple of seasons but I'm finally hooked on Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

I've just finished the musical episode in season 4.

Glenn Howerton can sing!

This discussion has been closed.